Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Do We Need a Dman Still?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yamamoto is ready but it has more to do with not burning his ELC year. To put things into perspective. How many of us saw Drai making 8.5M this year? It could have been next year if we didn't burn one year of his ELC. Yamamoto could be making 6M after his ELC and we want to slow that down. Having too many players on expensive contracts too soon or all at once will deplete our depth

And how would that have made things better had Draisaitl had one more year on his ELC?. They would still have $21m on the books next year when cap space might be tight. The whole "save a year on the ELC argument" can go either way. It is just as likely that losing a year results in a lower second contract which is a positive over potentially many years as it is the savings for that lost year of the ELC would have made a big difference in year three.

As of right now Yamamoto's deal is up in 2020-21. Assuming that this is not a lockout year it's not a bad time for his contract to end. The only other player of note scheduled for a raise at this point is Kassian. But who knows how things go three years out. None of us has a crystal ball.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
???

So you can see in this thread the video and pic of Trouba hitting Draisaitl with an elbow to the head.

That is my point. Anything happens in Edmonton, or a player is slumping, crazy rumors follow, case in point with Drai.

Whats not to get??

??

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
It's only because those people are worried about the cap hit and not about performance. Even if he scored 10 goals in those 5 games you'd still hear people say "Send him down!". The more he has played, the more he has shown he belongs here. There's no reason to not keep him up. I thought it's all about performance and winning, not about the cap only...
You are obviously wrong. If he had scored 5 goals in these 5 games not a single Oilers fan would want him going back. Its not about cap hit for me.. its about ruining a career. There is no reason to rush him. He is getting prime minutes but has nothing to show for in terms of execution. Having him here would not put us over the top this year while sending him down to dominate would only make him better after this year.
The reason why he might stick around would not be him but the regression of Slepy, Caggiula, Puljujarvi and Strome.

Reactions: guymez

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I'm "afraid" that Yamamoto would be an excellent player no matter how long his ELC slides... you could argue he would come in and put up even better numbers as a rookie next season if he goes back to the WHL this season. That would likely make him even more expensive than if he had "wasted" a year this year in the NHL playing at a slightly lower level of production.

I'm honestly just looking at what's best for Yamamoto and how he would develop the best and fastest and I believe the NHL gets him to that point the most efficiently.

It comes down to what coaches and management think obviously... and I guess we'll see when he hits the 9 game mark.

I was a strong advocate that Nuge had nothing to learn at the junior level and despite his size would do excellent in the NHL. I live in Red Deer and watched him often live. I'm shocked he hasn't done better than he has to date and still hold out hope he will improve at least a bit. Hard to imagine Nuge not getting at least 70 points at some point in the NHL with his skill level. Still time but getting more and more unlikely.

Yama and Nuge are different enough players/positions that comparing them is not great, however they both use a combination of agility and smarts to be effective at the NHL level. I now think the proper thing to have done with Nuge was send him back to junior. As awesome as Nuge was in his rookie year, and as awesome as Yama may be this year, another year of junior would have helped his development IMO. Thinking big picture that year "could" have helped him develop his creativity a bit more, improve his agility/skating/scoring and just given his young body another year before being forced to endure the grueling NHL play/schedule. His 5 to 9 games will give him perspective on what he needs to work on during his year in junior.

Combine the fact that starting next year both we truly enter cap hell and pushing his ELC back a year will aid in that immensely... I think it would be foolish to keep Yamamoto on the team this year.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
And how would that have made things better had Draisaitl had one more year on his ELC?. They would still have $21m on the books next year when cap space might be tight. The whole "save a year on the ELC argument" can go either way. It is just as likely that losing a year results in a lower second contract which is a positive over potentially many years as it is the savings for that lost year of the ELC would have made a big difference in year three.

As of right now Yamamoto's deal is up in 2020-21. Assuming that this is not a lockout year it's not a bad time for his contract to end. The only other player of note scheduled for a raise at this point is Kassian. But who knows how things go three years out. None of us has a crystal ball.
If Drai was making what he made last year instead of 8.5M and I'm aware of the bonus, the Oilers would have 5M to squeeze in another impact player. That's huge in a year we should be contending for the cup

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That is my point. Anything happens in Edmonton, or a player is slumping, crazy rumors follow, case in point with Drai.

Whats not to get??

??
Makes more sense, sorry. I wasn't referencing that in my post, it was the Nuge for Mysteryboxchenyuk trade proposal.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I was a strong advocate that Nuge had nothing to learn at the junior level and despite his size would do excellent in the NHL. I live in Red Deer and watched him often live. I'm shocked he hasn't done better than he has to date and still hold out hope he will improve at least a bit. Hard to imagine Nuge not getting at least 70 points at some point in the NHL with his skill level. Still time but getting more and more unlikely.

Yama and Nuge are different enough players/positions that comparing them is not great, however they both use a combination of agility and smarts to be effective at the NHL level. I now think the proper thing to have done with Nuge was send him back to junior. As awesome as Nuge was in his rookie year, and as awesome as Yama may be this year, another year of junior would have helped his development IMO. Thinking big picture that year "could" have helped him develop his creativity a bit more, improve his agility/skating/scoring and just given his young body another year before being forced to endure the grueling NHL play/schedule. His 5 to 9 games will give him perspective on what he needs to work on during his year in junior.

Combine the fact that starting next year both we truly enter cap hell and pushing his ELC back a year will aid in that immensely... I think it would be foolish to keep Yamamoto on the team this year.
This. RNH had more impact on the team than Yamamoto did in their first 9 games. With hindsight, I would prefer we sent him down. An extra year in junior would have really helped someone like RNH

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It's only because those people are worried about the cap hit and not about performance. Even if he scored 10 goals in those 5 games you'd still hear people say "Send him down!". The more he has played, the more he has shown he belongs here. There's no reason to not keep him up. I thought it's all about performance and winning, not about the cap only...
Even if the was true, the fact is he has zero goals and he plays and performs solely with Connor McDavid. You're telling me we can't go out there and find a cheap one year replacement who's MO is giving Connor McDavid the puck and looking somewhat offensively threatening? Looking in Josh Leivo's general direction.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Why can't I go back and edit the middle of a paragraph on the Mobile version of this site. I have to literally delete everything to get back to edit a post. Losing my mind with the flaws of this new site.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If Drai was making what he made last year instead of 8.5M and I'm aware of the bonus, the Oilers would have 5M to squeeze in another impact player. That's huge in a year we should be contending for the cup

First off that mythical impact player that they could sign if they only had $5M more most likely does not and did not exist. If he did they could probably get him anyway. Why for example is Montreal not adding such a player? They have plenty of cap space, some movable assets and they do not have a pending cap crunch.

You also have no way to know the impact that being with the big club had on Leon. He himself said it was an extremely valuable learning experience which if nothing else showed him how much work he had to do to be successful. Maybe the player he is today would be less mature had he not had to endure some tough times in his first year. Or maybe on the flip side sending him down did make him the better player as many here are suggesting and after another great year the cap jumps to $80M and he sees Eichel making $10M and his demands jump to $10.5M. This ends up costing you a player you need next year and maybe beyond that.

The point is unless one has a time machine all of this is hypothetical speculation. There simply is no one size fits all way to manage these sorts of decisions. And the ELC part of the equation is probably the most dubious argument in this debate.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Same for Caggiula and Benning?

Haven't heard anything on them. Benning just had an illness so I'd assume he's ready. Auvitu had a decent game and the Flyers skate well so maybe he comes in for Gryba? Cags is close I think. Who does he replace? I wouldn't sit Malone after his performance the last two games. Maybe Slepy or Jokinen?

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Friedman on Oilers now saying the Knights want to trade a defenseman, but a LHD. McNabb/Benning could be a decent 3rd pair. I don't think Miller is an option whatsoever.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
I would still like to get a RW regardless if Yamamoto stays or not, I like Slepyshev and his skill set but he just dosen't get him self involved enough in the play.
Wish we would have got Perron back from Vegas before he started lighting it up.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Friedman on Oilers now saying the Knights want to trade a defenseman, but a LHD. McNabb/Benning could be a decent 3rd pair. I don't think Miller is an option whatsoever.
I think I'd like that as well, though I think I'd still push for Garrison, I would love to have a veteran in that mix.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
We dont need a 3rd pairing Dman from LV. If we want to contend we have to look much bigger. Someone who can play 20mins+\night.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd happily do Lucic for Galchenyuk, RNH for Chucky seems like a loss though we are losing too much of a utility player for McLellan, it's important to keep a decent stock of a player you can put out in literally any situation. RNH wears too many hats for this team and while we could likely squeeze in a one-dimensional winger, he doesn't provide the same kind of value to this team that Nuge does, we also can't keep subtracting PK forwards without it having a fairly severe negative effect on our PK.

I would too, unfortunately I don't think Lucic waives for Montreal.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If Friedge is suggesting we're in on a D from them, I think just flipping a minor league contract and a late pick for Reinhart would be the better idea IMO, if possible. Garrison and Sbisa are too expensive in terms of cap hit, McNabb is likely a guy they'd prefer to keep. We're left with Merrill and Reinhart, a player the team is very familiar with coming off of a strong developmental season.

If McNabb was available, I'm sure someone would've dealt for him by now.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
There really is no one on Vegas who helps us since they only have 3rd pair LHD available. I'd maybe offer Montreal Paigin for Davidson if want a prospect and Davidson gives us some depth that we are familiar with. Reality is we are going to have to wait and see who shakes free in the new year. I like Russell as a 4-5 dman who can play either side on the 2nd pair when needed but I'd prefer him anchoring the 3rd pair when everyone is healthy. You've got a real nice defense if Russell is on your 3rd pair. In the medium term maybe you put Sekera on the right side with Nurse on the 2nd pair if Sekera is able to handle it - that's a really nice pair as Nurse can off-set Sekera's lack of size which is his only real issue.

Tanev for RNH is a deal I keep coming back to after VAN clearly becomes a lottery team, and pick up an older 2018 UFA center like Plekanec to replace RNH if Montreal isn't contending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad