Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Do We Need a Dman Still?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
AA: 6'2 fast, great shot, The perfect fit for McDavid, sign him to a 2 or 3 year 2 to 3 million deal , if it doesn't work out no big deal, unload Strome end of this year.

Came in here to suggest this. He's available and apparently isn't asking for the moon, Holland is just being an asshole.

Float out an offer of a 2nd rounder and, say, Safin. See if that floats any boats.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Came in here to suggest this. He's available and apparently isn't asking for the moon, Holland is just being an *******.

Float out an offer of a 2nd rounder and, say, Safin. See if that floats any boats.

Don't think Detroit will sell low on him to us. They know they likely have him cornered and he's going to have to take the deal they've offered him.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
To answer the title, yes. Yes yes yes. But I also love the idea of adding an Athanasiou. Seems like just the player we're missing. I know this ship has sailed, but I also can't help but think of how useful Perron would be right about now.

orangeshinpads

Jan 27, 2007
Vancouver
Yep. More defence, sure. But when and how will they get more offence than McDavid and Draisaitl?

In pre-McDavid times, the narrative from media was that the team couldn't put it together, but at least they have a lot of offence. Actually they didn't. Despite, Hall, Eberle, and Nuge, they were low in scoring. So Hall and Eberle and others that were in the top of Oiler scoring are gone. Doesn't that leave even less scoring? Last year was great, so I still hope they score above the level my quick math has them at, but I could also see offence being a fatal flaw now and for many years if they don't acquire some significant help.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
I am hoping the 3 game road trip coming up will help force the players into focusing on the game with less pressure.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The more the Rangers struggle, I'd start to inquire about guys like McDonagh and Zuccarello.
I think the Ranger who makes the most sense for us would be Rick Nash. But I wouldn't be willing to put up the assets required until we actually emerge as a legitimate contender.

If this group were have currently isn't good enough to pull itself out of this rut, the one or two guys we go and get aren't going to lead us to the promised land.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think the Ranger who makes the most sense for us would be Rick Nash. But I wouldn't be willing to put up the assets required until we actually emerge as a legitimate contender.

If this group were have currently isn't good enough to pull itself out of this rut, the one or two guys we go and get aren't going to lead us to the promised land.

Zuccarello would give you legitimate speed and ~50 points in a guy that can both PP and PK.

McDonagh - well he'd probably be our best (or at the very least second best after Klefbom) d-man.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Zuccarello would give you legitimate speed and ~50 points in a guy that can both PP and PK.

McDonagh - well he'd probably be our best (or at the very least second best after Klefbom) d-man.

What would the price be though? Out of reach, I would imagine.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
The sad part is I don't think we have any pieces to move for players.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Any interest in the corpse of Mark Streit?

He's likely still a better band-aid than Auvitu, and you can always re-waive/terminate the contract in a month or so.

Depends on where Sekera is at I guess. I'd give Benning a chance to redeem himself.

The funny thing is, we don't need anyone to play superhuman here, lol. With Nurse looking better than last year, all we need is Benning and Klefbom not to play like crap, but that isn't happening.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Depends on where Sekera is at I guess. I'd give Benning a chance to redeem himself.

The funny thing is, we don't need anyone to play superhuman here, lol. With Nurse looking better than last year, all we need is Benning and Klefbom not to play like crap, but that isn't happening.
Russell nurse played great last night. If they can keep that up we can ice two solid pairings IF Klefbom can wake up. Klef is the biggest problem we have back there right now. Not even close to good enough.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

I do agree you don't need a sup human there, but even if you give Benning a chance to redeem himself (something he will get), it still means you're playing Gryba or Auvitu... If Streit's better than tthem is a fair question though...

Nurse has looked way better this season, and I thought him and Russell held the fort fairly well vs. Ottawa. But that's still a weak second pairing and a when you've got a tire fire of a third, you're going to put way too much responsibility on the top pairing.

If you could get a guy to carry the third pairing, that means you can float with a decent top pairing and a weaker second pairing. Even a guy near Russell's tier (#4/5) would help this this defence a lot. Think someone like Gunnarsson.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Russell nurse played great last night. If they can keep that up we can ice two solid pairings IF Klefbom can wake up. Klef is the biggest problem we have back there right now. Not even close to good enough.

Nurse, Larsson, and Russell are actually playing OK. Klefbom, Benning, are playing like garbage though and Gryba is Gryba. Auvitu was not good.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Neither one of those guys would legitimately be available though, nor does our cap situation really make sense without moving a significant contract or two. We just traded Eberle because of that. Nash makes sense because he's a rental.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Watching those highlights of Athanasiou I'd definitely be interested in him. However I'd offer up someone like Caggiula and keep Safin insted. Caggiula + 2nd for Athanasiou?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Some offensive stats...

Oilers have a ridiculously high corsi/60 at evens... 83 per 60 minutes... whereas last season the highest corsi rates by NHL teams was barely 60 per 60 minutes at evens.

Corsi is certainly NOT the be all end all... but when a team is generating that many shots/attempts... they certainly should be able to generate offense IF they have even an average ability to finish... which leads to...

Just 7 goals cashed at evens while generating 256 corsi events... 2.7% corsi scoring rate. Another way to look at it... 7 goals on 131 shots for a 5.3% scoring rate. Less than the rate Colorado had last season when they ended up dead last overall by far.

Yet the Oilers at evens are #2 in the NHL in scoring chances/60 (behind only Toronto) and are #1 in high danger chances for/60 at evens as well. So it can't be said that they aren't getting good chances either... they aren't all perimeter muffins.

Oilers are 25th in scoring chances scoring percentage and 29th in high danger chances scoring percentage.

Oilers PP is no better.. converting just 1 of 20 shots on the PP so far... 5% scoring rate.
Oilers are generating the highest corsi/60 on the PP as well. 4th highest scoring chances/60 on the PP. 3rd highest high danger scoring chances/60 on the PP.

So the Oilers are getting chances but just can't convert plain and simple.

Other side of the coin...

Defensively they are 11th in corsi against/60 at evens which is above average.
15th in shots against/60... average.
8th in scoring chances against per 60... above average.
10th in high danger scoring chances against per 60... again above average.

Scoring chances against save pct at evens... 3rd lowest in the NHL at 88.5%
High danger scoring chances save pct at evens... 22nd in the NHL... below average.
Overall save percentage at evens... 18th in the NHL... again below average.

Oilers also have the worst save pct in the NHL on the penalty kill... 78%. Shots against/60 on the PK are 7th best in the NHL, scoring chances against/60 on the PK are 8th best in the NHL, high danger chances against/60 on the PK are 15th best in the NHL... still average.

My interpretation of all this...

Biggest problem is a lack of finish. You can't continue to score on less than 6% on your shots and expect to win games.

Second problem is underwhelming goaltending. Simply they are not saving enough shots at evens or on the PK. 3rd worst sv pct at evens and dead last in sv pct on the PK means many, many losses will continue to pile up.

Team defense is an issue, but the above two issues are the biggest concerns.

Score more goals. Save more goals against.

Sounds simple to me. :)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Some offensive stats...

Oilers have a ridiculously high corsi/60 at evens... 83 per 60 minutes... whereas last season the highest corsi rates by NHL teams was barely 60 per 60 minutes at evens.

Corsi is certainly NOT the be all end all... but when a team is generating that many shots/attempts... they certainly should be able to generate offense IF they have even an average ability to finish... which leads to...

Just 7 goals cashed at evens while generating 256 corsi events... 2.7% corsi scoring rate. Another way to look at it... 7 goals on 131 shots for a 5.3% scoring rate. Less than the rate Colorado had last season when they ended up dead last overall by far.

Yet the Oilers at evens are #2 in the NHL in scoring chances/60 (behind only Toronto) and are #1 in high danger chances for/60 at evens as well. So it can't be said that they aren't getting good chances either... they aren't all perimeter muffins.

Oilers are 25th in scoring chances scoring percentage and 29th in high danger chances scoring percentage.

Oilers PP is no better.. converting just 1 of 20 shots on the PP so far... 5% scoring rate.
Oilers are generating the highest corsi/60 on the PP as well. 4th highest scoring chances/60 on the PP. 3rd highest high danger scoring chances/60 on the PP.

High danger scoring chances save pct at evens... 22nd in the NHL... below average.

Oilers also have the worst save pct in the NHL on the penalty kill... 78%. Shots against/60 on the PK are 7th best in the NHL, scoring chances against/60 on the PK are 8th best in the NHL, high danger chances against/60 on the PK are 15th best in the NHL... still average.

Biggest problem is a lack of finish. You can't continue to score on less than 6% on your shots and expect to win games.

Second problem is underwhelming goaltending. Simply they are not saving enough shots at evens or on the PK. 3rd worst sv pct at evens and dead last in sv pct on the PK means many, many losses will continue to pile up.

You have to look at the score effects. Outside of the Calgary game we were trailing for the majority of the game. A lot of our shots were on the outside. And a lot of the time teams allowed shots because they were just sitting back holding the fort.

Look at last year. In games we outshot the other team, we lost more than half of those games.

You can absolutely continue shooting at a low percentage. Combination of nothing shots and no real goal scorers on the team outside of Drai and McDavid (on the rush).

This team is top heavy. RNH can be a good player but he is constantly put with scrubs and he can't carry them.

McDavid looks like a shell of his former self last year too.

This team as a whole isn't playing well. Lots of career high seasons last year, lots of health.

For this team to hit the same point as last year we need to replace Eberles production, possibly an actual goal scorer.

We also need to find a 4/5 defensemen for the year so Gryba only sees ice time if half the team is injured.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Some offensive stats...

IMO....

Talbot is not capable of playing back into form the way they are playing.

So team defense is probably number one on the list for me. They just have to intercept passes.....other teams do it. Talbot is not a scrambling butterfly goalie who will battle through defensive lapses.

better control of their zone and disrupting passing lanes will help talbot play his game.

Reactions: guymez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad