Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Do We Need a Dman Still?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The biggest issue I think I have with this start is it shows how in rough shape we could be next year. We simply have ZERO cap next year to do anything.

So lets assume the salary cap goes up to 77 mill (same increase as last season to now)

Blank - McDavid (12.5) - Blank
Lucic (6) - Draisaitl (8.5) - Blank
Blank - RNH (6) - Blank
Khaira (0.675) - Blank - Kassian (1.950)
Blank- Blank

Klefbom (4.167) - Larsson (4.167)
Sekera (5.5) - Russell (4)
Blank - Blank
Gryba (0.900)

Talbot (4.166)
Blank

Thats what we have to work with. That is our signed depth in their depth positions. We then need to either resign guys (Slepy, Cagguila, Benning Nurse etc) and use some of our signed prospects/ahl guys. Jones, Puljujarvi etc
Oh and we have $17 mill to use. Which works out to $1.5 million a player, less if we use prospects with bonus. Our cap situation is risky, if RNH doesn't emerge as a legit top 6 center we almost have to move him for parts and fine a real top 6 center or move Drai there and then find a 3c and good top line winger.

I am not too worried about this season, it is what it is. The teams future is what I am very concerned about.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The biggest issue I think I have with this start is it shows how in rough shape we could be next year. We simply have ZERO cap next year to do anything.

So lets assume the salary cap goes up to 77 mill (same increase as last season to now)

Blank - RNH (6) - Blank
Blank- Blank

Blank - Blank
Gryba (0.900)

Talbot (4.166)
Blank

Thats what we have to work with. That is our signed depth in their depth positions. We then need to either resign guys (Slepy, Cagguila, Benning Nurse etc) and use some of our signed prospects/ahl guys. Jones, Puljujarvi etc
Oh and we have $17 mill to use. Which works out to $1.5 million a player, less if we use prospects with bonus. Our cap situation is risky, if RNH doesn't emerge as a legit top 6 center we almost have to move him for parts and fine a real top 6 center or move Drai there and then find a 3c and good top line winger.

I am not too worried about this season, it is what it is. The teams future is what I am very concerned about.

Yamamoto and Puljujarvi hold the future of the team, if they pan out to be good players we're in good shape long term. If not, well then ... not. Every team has to be able to develop their talent. I'd say even if Yamamoto alone turns into a very good player and Pulju into just a decent player ... even that would be good enough.

RNH is gone too if he doesn't have a great year this year. We can't afford his salary if he's going to be content with "45 points a year" Nugent Hopkins. Not good enough.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yamamoto and Puljujarvi hold the future of the team, if they pan out to be good players we're in good shape long term. If not, well then ... not. Every team has to be able to develop their talent. I'd say even if Yamamoto alone turns into a very good player and Pulju into just a decent player ... even that would be good enough.

RNH is gone too if he doesn't have a great year this year. We can't afford his salary if he's going to be content with "45 points a year" Nugent Hopkins. Not good enough.
If you expect either KY or JP to replace RNH you're going to be in for a very long season.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

Blank - RNH (6) - Blank
Blank- Blank

Blank - Blank
Gryba (0.900)

Talbot (4.166)
Blank

RNH was gone as soon as Draisaitl signed. Hopefully he has a good year and bumps up his trade value a bit. We really should have kept Pitlick, I know he isnt the answer to all our problems but the RW is really thin, he would have got a good opportunity here

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
RNH was gone as soon as Draisaitl signed. Hopefully he has a good year and bumps up his trade value a bit. We really should have kept Pitlick, I know he isnt the answer to all our problems but the RW is really thin, he would have got a good opportunity here
I wouldn't be certain of that quite yet. We're currently seeing the effects of a lack of offensive depth. Trading him away doesn't help that. If the Oilers can manage their cap situation accordingly, I wouldn't be surprised to see us retain him as additional depth at center, which both Chiarelli and McLellan are very keen on historically.

As for Pitlick, he just would've added another warm body to the bottom six, which we have plenty of IMO. I always loved the guy's willingness to compete. But with JP, Caggiula, Slepyshev, Pakarinen, Khaira and now Malone, we're already loaded with a bunch of guys who are a minimal scoring threat at the NHL level. Add them to Kassian, Jokinen and Strome who've all come out of the gate with a thud.

I think a good target today would be Josh Leivo. Simply because he's shown to have that scoring touch at every level he has played. And he's shown the willingness to shoot the puck at this level. He's a guy I'd feel comfortable with throwing into the top six because he has some offensive awareness.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I wonder if we are eying Jon Merrill? Interestingly enough LV sat Garrison and McNabb on Saturday and played Merrill and Hunt. Seems like an obvious case of showcasing to me. No idea if he'd be adequate stop gap or not though. Maybe MacT wanted to see more of Hunt? :lol::cry:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Too expensive.
His contract is up at the end of this year, I don't see it as too expensive in the short term. I think Chiarelli might be in a spot where he has to overpay to get the roster moved around to the way he might want it.

Do something like this with Vegas

To VGS: Lagesson, Fayne, Betker and Rattie, 2019 2nd and 2018 3rd

To EDM: Garrison and Pirri

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I wonder if we are eying Jon Merrill? Interestingly enough LV sat Garrison and McNabb on Saturday and played Merrill and Hunt. Seems like an obvious case of showcasing to me. No idea if he'd be adequate stop gap or not though. Maybe MacT wanted to see more of Hunt? :lol::cry:

I don't know if it's showcasing... more like juggling the roster when you have 9 dmen on it. 3 have to sit every game so they are just likely rotating and shuffling as you can't have players sitting too long eating popcorn and getting rusty at the start of the year... you want to get them in the lineup and up to NHL pace.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo

Blank - RNH (6) - Blank
Blank- Blank

Blank - Blank
Gryba (0.900)

Talbot (4.166)
Blank

We really need to try Nuge on the wing on one of the top lines. If he can score 25 goals and 35 assists on the top line with McDavid playing on his off-wing, then it would be worth it to keep him around, and we look for a cheap 3rd line C (or use Strome), and use a couple of cheap players on ELCs in Yamamoto and Puljujarvi on the 2nd and 3rd line. Let's hope Jones, Bear and/or Mantha take huge steps this season, and are ready for an NHL role next season -- more competition and NHL level Dmen we have, the better. But I just don't get not trying Nuge on the wing. If he works with McDavid, that allows us to put Drai centering the 2nd line where he can hopefully be the driver of that line (for 8.5m he better). That would be a huge revelation for us -- I don't understand why you wouldn't at least just TRY it for a couple of games. It also keeps 2 centers on the top line, which Todd seems to like.

I'm sure Todd Mac has it all figured out, though. He just needs to bark louder at a reporter the next time he's not completely listening to Todd's every word. That reminded me so much of something Eakins would do. That was embarrassing. He's better coach, but he's certainly not perfect. Anyway, I digress.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We really need to try Nuge on the wing on one of the top lines. If he can score 25 goals and 35 assists on the top line with McDavid playing on his off-wing, then it would be worth it to keep him around, and we look for a cheap 3rd line (or use Strome), and use a couple of cheap players on ELCs in Yamamoto and Puljujarvi on the 2nd and 3rd line. Let's hope Jones, Bear or Mantha take huge steps this season, and are ready for an NHL role next season -- more competition and NHL level Dmen we have, the better. But I just don't get not trying Nuge on the wing. If he works with McDavid, that allows us to put Drai centering the 2nd line where he can hopefully be the driver of that line (for 8.5m he better). That would be a huge revelation for us -- I don't understand why you wouldn't at least just TRY it for a couple of games.

I'm sure Todd Mac has it all figured out, though. He just needs to bark louder at a reporter the next time he's not completely listening to Todd's every word. That reminded me so much of something Eakins would do. That was embarrassing. He's better coach, but he's certainly not perfect. Anyway, I digress.
He seems to refuse to try RNH with either McDavid or Draisaitl in anyway shape and form anymore.
There was a short span when Drai and him played together and they were actually really good and ever since then nope.

It's kind of annoying.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
He seems to refuse to try RNH with either McDavid or Draisaitl in anyway shape and form anymore.
There was a short span when Drai and him played together and they were actually really good and ever since then nope.

It's kind of annoying.

It's very annoying to me. I think the best coaches are the ones who can think outside the box and get creative. I know Nuge wouldn't be a beast along the boards, but he is actually pretty good, and that's more of Maroon's role anyway. Kind of like the Hyman's role with Matthews and Nylander. Nuge is quicker than Drai, too. Their top speed is probably similar, but Nuge is more nimble. He has a really good wrist shot, and I think he'd get to use it a lot with McDavid feeding him for some pretty open looks. In the past he'd pass so much to Eberle that I think that was one reason he's never scored 20-25 goals. If he took more of a shooters mentality, I really think he could do it. Maybe we need to make some noise about this, and try to get a reporter to mention this. It might get Todd's mind spinning a bit, and thinking more creatively. I think it would be a great shakeup, and freshen things up. Try these top lines:

Maroon - McDavid - Nuge
Lucic - Drai - Yamamoto (when Drai is healthy, of course)

I think Yams with Lucic and Drai could also work. They're both very good along the boards with their big and strong bodies, and can feed Yams some passes if he can get open in the slot. I'd really love to see those lines for a couple of games.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It's very annoying to me. I think the best coaches are the ones who can think outside the box and get creative. I know Nuge wouldn't be a beast along the boards, but he is actually pretty good, and that's more of Maroon's role anyway. Kind of like the Hyman's role with Matthews and Nylander. Nuge is quicker than Drai, too. Their top speed is probably similar, but Nuge is more nimble. He has a really good wrist shot, and I think he'd get to use it a lot with McDavid feeding him for some pretty open looks. In the past he'd pass so much to Eberle that I think that was one reason he's never scored 20-25 goals. If he took more of a shooters mentality, I really think he could do it. Maybe we need to make some noise about this, and try to get a reporter to mention this. It might get Todd's mind spinning a bit, and thinking more creatively. I think it would be a great shakeup, and freshen things up. Try these top lines:

Maroon - McDavid - Nuge
Lucic - Drai - Yamamoto (when Drai is healthy, of course)

I think Yams with Lucic and Drai could also work. They're both very good along the boards with their big and strong bodies, and can feed Yams some passes if he can get open in the slot. I'd really love to see those lines for a couple of games.
I also think it would really help Nuge playing with a guy like McDavid or Drai to rebuild his confidence. When confident he is a beast, he showed it with that breakaway goal. When he isn't he sticks to the defense and has no offense.

For once in his career I would like him to play with guys that he doesn't have to cover for offensively or defensively for a bit.

With Hall and Eberle he had to cover. Eberle just didn't play defense. And Hall and great offensive skills but ended up on his ass a bunch from going to fast and Nuge had to be the first one back to cover. It didn't allow him to play his best. Put him with a McDavid who actually plays good on both sides of the puck, and take the center duties away from him and I guarentee he could have a Draisaitl type season.

Maybe a Nuge with confidence is the piece we are missing or hell, if Nuge hits 60-70 points this year he might get us more than his counterparts did if we need to trade him.

I would like those lines a lot. Yams is actually pretty good on the forecheck and on the cycle, and having those 2 do that brunt work creates a lot of space for a little guy to find room to score.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I would like those lines a lot. Yams is actually pretty good on the forecheck and on the cycle, and having those 2 do that brunt work creates a lot of space for a little guy to find room to score.
I'm always impressed at how he win physical battles despite clearly being the small guy on the ice.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm always impressed at how he win physical battles despite clearly being the small guy on the ice.
Hell go watch Larssons goal from last game. He laid an amazing screen that lead to the goal. He at his tiny size screened the goalie. Dude plays big.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yup, he's got a very good motor, he's smart and he's not afraid.
I just hope he never loses that no fear.
Eberle played with no fear for a bit and then got hit big and was even more of a chicken from then on. Hopefully Yamamoto just doesn't lose that.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I also think it would really help Nuge playing with a guy like McDavid or Drai to rebuild his confidence. When confident he is a beast, he showed it with that breakaway goal. When he isn't he sticks to the defense and has no offense.

For once in his career I would like him to play with guys that he doesn't have to cover for offensively or defensively for a bit.

With Hall and Eberle he had to cover. Eberle just didn't play defense. And Hall and great offensive skills but ended up on his ass a bunch from going to fast and Nuge had to be the first one back to cover. It didn't allow him to play his best. Put him with a McDavid who actually plays good on both sides of the puck, and take the center duties away from him and I guarentee he could have a Draisaitl type season.

Maybe a Nuge with confidence is the piece we are missing or hell, if Nuge hits 60-70 points this year he might get us more than his counterparts did if we need to trade him.

That's another thing, too. If our management are set on looking to trade him, regardless what happens, then why not play him with McDavid and get his stats up as high as possible? And if he works out really good, and we can keep him, then excellent! 6m for a top winger isn't bad at all. And again, it allows us to spread our offense, having McDavid and Drai on two separate scoring lines. Just makes a ton of sense to me. Then again, I can't bark at a reporter over something stupid like Todd Mac can. So I'm obviously so under-qualified for such a position that my opinion shouldn't even matter, I suppose, or something. And I think you're probably right with him always thinking 'defense-first'. If the coaching staff TRULY wants to unshackle him from defense and concentrate on his offense, then back your words and put him on the wing with McDavid and see what they can do (or with Drai when he's back).

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't know if it's showcasing... more like juggling the roster when you have 9 dmen on it. 3 have to sit every game so they are just likely rotating and shuffling as you can't have players sitting too long eating popcorn and getting rusty at the start of the year... you want to get them in the lineup and up to NHL pace.

Seeing as they got into a game finally after sitting 4 out, I suspect that it was showcasing.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
How about David Perron? One of the few to ever have chemistry with RNH and was a good fit overall when he was here.

Vegas needs to do a two-for-one still thanks to all their D, so add in Garrison or Schmidt and there's two needs checked off. Not sure what it would cost but we would probably want to dump Fayne in the same deal to keep the cap impact low.

Maroon-McDavid-Drai
Lucic-RNH-Perron
Slepyshev-Strome-Yamamoto
Jokinen-Letestu-Kassian

Klef-Lars
Schmidt/Garrison-Russell
Nurse-Benning/Gryba

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
"Go for it" means go get a John Tavares, it's not some minor little piddly move.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Josh Leivo would be a good pick-up
He's the guy who makes the most sense to me today. He's not getting any ice-time in Toronto and he has a history of offensive production at every level he's played at. This is a guy we can afford to acquire and afford an opportunity in our top six. At $600k he also doesn't effect our cap situation in any way. And if he does click, he could be a good, cheap scoring option moving forward.

We're in a rut right now but I don't think the solution is going out and making the big deal for a rental. Rentals come when we're certain we're in contention. A cheap scorer like Leivo and a cheap add to the bottom pair is what I'd like to see in the near future. Leave the big adds for the deadline when the standings begin to sort themselves out.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
How about David Perron? One of the few to ever have chemistry with RNH and was a good fit overall when he was here.

Vegas needs to do a two-for-one still thanks to all their D, so add in Garrison or Schmidt and there's two needs checked off. Not sure what it would cost but we would probably want to dump Fayne in the same deal to keep the cap impact low.

Maroon-McDavid-Drai
Lucic-RNH-Perron
Slepyshev-Strome-Yamamoto
Jokinen-Letestu-Kassian

Klef-Lars
Schmidt/Garrison-Russell
Nurse-Benning/Gryba

DP isn't coming back here... he didn't like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad