Rumor: Trade Rumour Thread II: TraDe for Every111!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
I don't know why only a couple people mentioned Stephen Weiss. He's only under contract for this year, he'd fit under the cap, Florida's looking terrible, and he'd actually make our depth on the wings useful by have 3 legitimate, playmaking centers.

Gaborik - Richards - Nash

Hagelin - Stepan - Callahan

Kreider - Weiss - Pyatt

Asham/Rupp - Boyle - Ferrerio

That's too much for any team to deal with matchup-wise. Plus... isn't Weiss what you would call a TORTS KIND OF GUY?

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
What do you think it would take for edm to part with him?

Edit: he is playing on their AHL affiliate, because of the logjam they have at forward.

A 2nd and a long shot prospect. As far as I know, they're still pretty high on him and like the way he's developing in OKC. They will have some turnover and potential openings next season. He probably would have been given a chance to play this year if there had been a regular training camp. I just don't think Edmonton is looking to sell him for a pick. I imagine, if they did move him, they'd include him in a package to try and improve their current lineup.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I don't know why only a couple people mentioned Stephen Weiss. He's only under contract for this year, he'd fit under the cap, Florida's looking terrible, and he'd actually make our depth on the wings useful by have 3 legitimate, playmaking centers.

Kreider - Weiss - Pyatt

That's too much for any team to deal with matchup-wise. Plus... isn't Weiss what you would call a TORTS KIND OF GUY?

Weiss would be a phenomenal rental. Problem is, what price do we pay for that rental? Florida will want quality and some team who hopes to re-sign him will offer more than we can really afford to, IMO.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Weiss would be a phenomenal rental. Problem is, what price do we pay for that rental? Florida will want quality and some team who hopes to re-sign him will offer more than we can really afford to, IMO.

Sometimes I like to assume this guy will be up to his old tricks

sather-magician-300x235.jpg

Weiss for 3rd round pick and Newbury. GET IT DONE! :sarcasm:

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
anyone else think the Pens picked up Boychuk one freaking spot ahead of us just to piss us off?:laugh:

honestly the kid would get playing time here

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

Kreider - Weiss - Pyatt

The problem I see with that:

So far this season:

Richards - 16:28 ES TOI/Gm, 72.6% OffZoneSt
Stepan - 13:25 ES TOI/Gm, 64.4% OffZoneSt
Boyle - 11:07 ES TOI/Gm, 28.6% OffZoneSt
Halpern - 5:40 ES TOI/Gm, 22.2% OffZoneSt

Moving Boyle down to Halpern's spot and taking Halpern out of the lineup would mean a lot more defensive zone faceoffs for Richards and Stepan and their offensive production would suffer.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
The problem I see with that:

So far this season:

Richards - 16:28 ES TOI/Gm, 72.6% OffZoneSt
Stepan - 13:25 ES TOI/Gm, 64.4% OffZoneSt
Boyle - 11:07 ES TOI/Gm, 28.6% OffZoneSt
Halpern - 5:40 ES TOI/Gm, 22.2% OffZoneSt

Moving Boyle down to Halpern's spot and taking Halpern out of the lineup would mean a lot more defensive zone faceoffs for Richards and Stepan and their offensive production would suffer.

Please. This is such a weak reasoning. Who knows how a player of Weiss's caliber, who is also a good two-way player would change the dynamic of this team? Also, how relevant are those stats from a 6 game sampling where we are 3-3? Further, the way Torts changes line combinations, combined with his love of Boyle makes it almost inevitable that we would see Stepan on Weiss's wing, Weiss on Stepan's wing, Weiss on Richards' wing, etc. Basing your desire to acquire a very, very good center with two-way capabilities to a team that really badly needs to improve it's offensive depth right now on zone starts 6 games into the season is silly. Having a fourth line you're only comfortable playing 5 minutes per game is also silly. The only concern for me regarding Weiss would be the cost to acquire a rental. Definitely not how he's going to alter the percentage of offensive zone starts for our oh-so established it's written in stone center depth six games in.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Please. This is such a weak reasoning. Who knows how a player of Weiss's caliber, who is also a good two-way player would change the dynamic of this team? Also, how relevant are those stats from a 6 game sampling where we are 3-3? Further, the way Torts changes line combinations, combined with his love of Boyle makes it almost inevitable that we would see Stepan on Weiss's wing, Weiss on Stepan's wing, Weiss on Richards' wing, etc. Basing your desire to acquire a very, very good center with two-way capabilities to a team that really badly needs to improve it's offensive depth right now on zone starts 6 games into the season is silly. Having a fourth line you're only comfortable playing 5 minutes per game is also silly. The only concern for me regarding Weiss would be the cost to acquire a rental. Definitely not how he's going to alter the percentage of offensive zone starts for our oh-so established it's written in stone center depth six games in.
It's six games, but it closely resembles what we've seen last year.

What we're saying isn't too different. If you're going to pay the high price that he absolutely would command on the trade market, I think the player should fit into the lineup a little better. The uncertainty of how he or Stepan would do on the wing is something I would rather do without.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008

I concur. We're really not in a position to give up on our defensive prospects with the lack of depth in the system. I'd deal a 2nd in 2014 and Christian Thomas but I doubt that would be enough.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I would be happy to take a chance on Morisson. I'm not sure how much he has left in the tank, but he's definitely a player who had a high skill set and may even be able to infuse some creativity into a #2 PP unit. Was never a slouch defensively either.

well he stunk last yr, I think he's done. So if they get him I dont think it helps. If Arnott wasnt hurt that would of been perfect............then Pitts claims Boychuk.............rough

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The coach allots the icetime
After the lousy 0-2 start Torts got a bit sweaty
He is riding certain players far too hard this early
Nobody else coaches this way
Not that I know of

Eminger, Stralman, Bickel, Asham, Rupp, Kreider and Halpern and the AHL subs have all not been playing so bad to allow them this limited amount of ice time
Last year it was a different set of players in the doghouse - seeing the same minimal minutes

It is all on Torts IMO
It is his style of coaching
Maniac (both a good & bad thing) that is doing anything to win right now
It will be impossible to keep this up through the end of June though

Concur.
A great coach can get the best of his players.
I admit you still need the proverbial horses at square one, or you don't win unless people play over their heads.

But your point is aside from the foolishness of D is everything first strategy, which I have brought up, you note Torts is ruining our best horses.

:amazed::help::deadhorse:eek::thumbd::deadhorse:nopity::speechles

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Where are the Rangers finding a #2 center for 2-3M a year?

That's not the key ?, which is, is he worth more as a 2c whose salary on the next deal, due to shortage, may get higher than his production; or, whether as a standalone or as a package, do we get an upgrade at C or D that we need?

Obviously the answer depends on the return.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Couple of reasons:

1) The Rangers have a player who should be the kind of player you described in Derek Stepan (minus the physical play that Brind'Amour brought).

2) The player you describe really aren't readily available. Especially when you look at what the Rangers really have to deal.

As an aside, I think you're understating the kind of player Brind'Amour was. He had 8 seasons of over 70 points.

And IMO, not just physical play but also skating speed. Stepan is molasses in comparison, esp at similar age.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Trade a 2nd Rounder for Antropov, he played well here last time too and would be a great addition to the bottom 6 and #2 PP unit. Brings size and is Torts kinda player. Anisimov replacement/upgrade.

I musta missed those games!

Anisimov yeah -- but that's not happening -- but not Antropov

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
A 2nd and a long shot prospect. As far as I know, they're still pretty high on him and like the way he's developing in OKC. They will have some turnover and potential openings next season. He probably would have been given a chance to play this year if there had been a regular training camp. I just don't think Edmonton is looking to sell him for a pick. I imagine, if they did move him, they'd include him in a package to try and improve their current lineup.

spot on, but I think we can, not steal him, but find a soft spot cause there are no takers atm. Don't think we have to overpay, but they have to save face, so we have to make it worth their while...

How about Edmonton's 2nd in 2013 + MPS
for
both ranger third round picks in 2013 + Pashnin + __________

but what would be the __________ ,?

*Bob Richards*

:laugh::laugh:

Let's go back to the dark Ages where we trade all of the Rangers young promising, skilled players for soon-to-be UFA's and old players!! Loved those years!

Seriously. Everyone has been *****ing that Richards is the only good center on this team. Trade Stepan and it actually holds weight. I would love to see what our Center depth looks like with an aging Richards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad