Rumor: Trade Rumors Thread XV: Rangers allowing a team to talk to Callahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Point of interest, Crosby's likely to have a career that could be twice as long as Cally's.

Maybe--but I wouldn't bet on it. Of all the injuries Callahan has had I don't remember a concussion. Crosby has had some real issues with that. He's been healthy for a while but another major concussion and he might have a real problem. Your head is not like your knee or a shoulder.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Crosby signed his deal when the cap was MUCH lower.

No it wasn't it was the end of the '11-'12 season when the cap was 64.3m, mind telling me what the cap is this season?

He still could have been maxed. Pittsburgh would have had to give it to him. He would be worth every penny of it. BU's point is still the same though regardless of the cap.

Exactly, it doesn't matter what the upper limit is he could have gotten 20% if he wanted it.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Maybe--but I wouldn't bet on it. Of all the injuries Callahan has had I don't remember a concussion. Crosby has had some real issues with that. He's been healthy for a while but another major concussion and he might have a real problem. Your head is not like your knee or a shoulder.

That's true, and I don't really buy the whole "body giving out" thing on Cally for that matter.

Injuries like broken bones don't increase in likely hood until your mid-late 30's. I'd call his run of luck the law of averages catching up with him.

None of his injures have been chronic or repeating, he doesn't suffer from a degenerative bone disease, and he's never been concussed. He gets injured because of the way he plays. That's what we ask of him, it's rediculous to hold it against him.

It's not comprable to Drury, who WASN'T injury prone, and contrary to the willfully ignorant belief that his body gave out due to balls-out play, he developed a chronic ailment. Had little to do with his style of play.

It's not comprable to say, Gaborik, who would randomly have to miss 12 games due to pulling his groin while taking a stride in the wrong direction while skating, or would hit the boards awkwardly and miss 6 games due to his shoulder.

Cally's shoulder was seperated by an awkward fall that would have done the same to anyone. The shots that broke bones could have done the same, again, to anyone.

The only injury that's ever really made me go "huh.." was his knee earlier this year, after an awkward hit.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Crosby is in the same boat as Lebron James and Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, their legacy is worth more money to them in long run then losing the 15-30 million during their playing careers. Their at points where championships is the only thing that can add to their legacy and equate to them becoming immortals in their respective sports, and then the gravy train just keeps on chugging. You can't equate those guys to the average athlete.

Thats why Pittsburgh went for it so hard last year. It was messed-up season and they looked at it as a great chance to pad Crosby's and the organizations resume. So sweet it worked out the way it did, especially with Iginla becoming Hossa and brown-nose chasing a cup.

Peyton has always had the knock of not being a championship player and only having the one.

Brady and belichick, having never won again after they were ousted as cheaters.

Three guys who really bucked the tread. Brodeur in the past, Tavares taking an extremely team-friendly deal, and brown negotiating the deal himself. Those are three examples of doing your own thing.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
like right now there's a tweet from a NY rangers affiliated twitter account that states.

#Rangers offer Callahan 5 year, $30M. Callahan wants 7 year deal, as I've been posting. Now we'll see how bad he wants to stay a Ranger.

Now that is negotiating in bad faith. That sours a person's feelings. Literally pitting Callahan against the fans. I dislike all these Ranger affiliated twitter accounts and websites. The Rangers media machine is cancerous. And I've seen the guys who tweet, well I think I did at traverse city, like a 22 year old kid, kid face, just tweeting away. The most cliche, college class answers and what not. The Rangers PR machine and the garden's affiliation with CAA is a major turnoff to someone who sees things the way I do.

They had, and they still have the potential to be, but its teetering. They had this awesome culture of being a hockey team, an inspiring hockey team, and the MSG marketing people wanted a more exciting product that would make fans or shall I say business associates such as baby punisher on this board here, pay up without complaining the games were too boring for the price they were paying.

Don't have a problem with the tweet at all.

Teams are usually behind the 8-ball when trying to defend a defection.

Get out in front of the PR nightmare that is bound to happen when he is traded.

5 years at 6 per is more than reasonable for Callahan. MORE THAN REASONABLE

Him demanding 7 years is not reasonable for the team. The style he plays means that even at 5 years he's going to be less than useful after the 4th season. He wants to make sure he's got the remaining 3 years and 18 million in his pocket.

No problem with this tweet on any level.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
5 years 30 mil for Ryan Callahan is a terrible deal for us

He's barely worth his current contract

In fact I wouldn't offer him his current deal today let alone 30 mil and 5 years. The kid can't stay healthy and doesn't play the game that made him famous anymore. He's a shell of his former self.

I'd deal him today not a minute later. If I can get Chris Stewart for him I sign off on that immediately

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011

Him demanding 7 years is not reasonable for the team. The style he plays means that even at 5 years he's going to be less than useful after the 4th season. He wants to make sure he's got the remaining 3 years and 18 million in his pocket.

Whats funny that the tweet was actually edited. At first it read.

"Now we'll see how bad he wants to stay a ranger…"

Now I don't like to nitpick. but urban communication, that '…' signifies that there is something else unsaid, or that the person is saying, 'do you know what I'm getting at'

I could be seeing this with tinted glasses, but the tone of the msg reads like that to me. And I don't like that

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Whats funny that the tweet was actually edited. At first it read.

"Now we'll see how bad he wants to stay a ranger…"

Now I don't like to nitpick. but urban communication, that '…' signifies that there is something else unsaid, or that the person is saying, 'do you know what I'm getting at'

I could be seeing this with tinted glasses, but the tone of the msg reads like that to me. And I don't like that

I could see that.

Players say all the time how much they want to stay with a team only to leave over money.

I remember Messier saying the same things. and then leaving over money

If Callahan REALLY wants to remain a Rangers player, then he takes the discount and we all move on with our lives.

If he wants to get paid (as is his god given right) then we trade him.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007

More than reasonable is being generous.

It's an overpayment by about $1.5M. As someone else said, he is barely worth his contract now. Signing Callahan to a 5 year $30 million deal will lead to the fan base hating him.

No one will put up with a $6M forward made of glass that puts up 40 points. It's a massive overpayment.

LittleKev6D9

Unregistered User
Dec 14, 2011
Middletown
I can totally understand why Callahan is asking 6 million per. He's the Captain of the New York Rangers. That's how the Captain of the New York Rangers gets paid.

Not saying I agree with it, but all I'm saying is I can see where Callahan would get that number from (assuming it's correct).

Again, I'd trade Callahan tomorrow for the right price. If NYR can get a high pick (and a solid prospect) from a team looking to make a Cup push, I'm all for it.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Maybe it's already been said as I haven't read through everything, but if Crosby's being used as some example of a home town discount, let's not forget how much money he's raking in off of sponsorships that Callahan doesn't come close to. The guy's a celebrity. An extra two million in his deal looks like nothing compared with the money bauer, tim horton's, etc. are shelling out.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
More than reasonable is being generous.

It's an overpayment by about $1.5M. As someone else said, he is barely worth his contract now. Signing Callahan to a 5 year $30 million deal will lead to the fan base hating him.

No one will put up with a $6M forward made of glass that puts up 40 points. It's a massive overpayment.

reason I say more than reasonable is because he will get 6+ on the open market.

if he signs for 6 per here. I take that as a home town discount.

would we regret the contract? probably, but I think he's worth 5+ to the Rangers. Being a UFA changes everything

Vidic15*

Is there anything to conclude from that tweet? Is there bad blood brewing between the two sides?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I could see that.

Players say all the time how much they want to stay with a team only to leave over money.

I remember Messier saying the same things. and then leaving over money

If Callahan REALLY wants to remain a Rangers player, then he takes the discount and we all move on with our lives.

If he wants to get paid (as is his god given right) then we trade him

Exactly. The thing is, the "discount" isn't much of a discount. It's a very fair deal, maybe too fair, but I could live with it as a fan because I think Callahan is still a very useful player and will be for a good while longer.

If he's absolutely set on suckering some other franchise into paying him an extra 12 million over 2 years, that's his right, but I think thats an awful idea on every level but the financial. With the cap and how difficult it's becoming to be consistent contenders for any team, UFAs have to pick between absolutely maxing out on their pay or getting a real sustained shot at being champions. Championship calibre teams don't take dumb contracts like that. Hell, the Rangers aren't in that tier and their management has a long history of overspending for UFAS and even they won't make the 6x7 deal. But, if he's set on it, trade him. You can't handicap the team with a contract like that. The fact that a leadership kind of player like him is absolutely insistent on such a ridiculous contract is disappointing. It's his right for sure, but it's also everyone's "right" be an average player. Callahan is what he is at his best because he goes beyond what he's allowed to get away with putting it. I just hope to god we're not looking at Chris Stewart straight up. At that point, go for picks, resign Girardi and see what happens.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
reason I say more than reasonable is because he will get 6+ on the open market.

if he signs for 6 per here. I take that as a home town discount.

would we regret the contract? probably, but I think he's worth 5+ to the Rangers. Being a UFA changes everything

I know, but just because the open market would pay that for him, doesn't mean he is worth it. Any team that signed him on the open market would regret it.

Imagine signing Callahan to a 5-year/$6M cap hit, buying out Richards, than signing Stastny to a 7-year/$7.5M cap hit...

We will have two fresh contracts that are awful. In addition to Lundqvist's new contract of $8.5M kicking in next season (and honestly, he earned his pay day much more so than Callahan by being the team MVP every year).

I don't view $6M for Callahan as a discount at all. $6M for Thornton and Marleau, 70-80 point players? Yes. That's a discount. Not Callahans.

I'm tired of paying BIG money for players that aren't worth it, when other teams have players like Toews, Kane, Hossa, Crosby, Tavares, Duchene, etc, all signed to great contracts.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Honestly think one more concussion and Crosby is done

I don't know. Crosby isn't playing shy. He looks comfortable. I think another major concussion--and there are degrees here and he may be in a bad place but not necessarily done.

Mike Green on the other hand doesn't look as comfortable IMO. One more for him might be it.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
I know, but just because the open market would pay that for him, doesn't mean he is worth it. Any team that signed him on the open market would regret it.

Imagine signing Callahan to a 5-year/$6M cap hit, buying out Richards, than signing Stastny to a 7-year/$7.5M cap hit...

We will have two fresh contracts that are awful. In addition to Lundqvist's new contract of $8.5M kicking in next season (and honestly, he earned his pay day much more so than Callahan by being the team MVP every year).

I don't view $6M for Callahan as a discount at all. $6M for Thornton and Marleau, 70-80 point players? Yes. That's a discount. Not Callahans.

I'm tired of paying BIG money for players that aren't worth it, when other teams have players like Toews, Kane, Hossa, Crosby, Tavares, Duchene, etc, all signed to great contracts.

both those players are good examples.. they both took short term deals and are now on their second short term.. they also took a fair deal and want to be a shark.. if cally really wanted to stay then he could.. he just wants more.. and if thats the case seee YAAA.. nothing wrong with that.. i just hate when players say "there heart" is for this team.. then show it!!! and that term discount is silly.. its more like a fair value deal for both sides bc he still signing a great contract..

give me stewart and schwartz/berglund and call it a day.. you love the fans and the city and captaining this team then prove it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad