Rumor: Trade Rumors Thread XV: Rangers allowing a team to talk to Callahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
To which I will say this:

The conversation here comes down to one choice.

Ryan Callahan for 7 years @ $6m?

or

Mats Zuccarello for 4-5 years @ $3.5-4m?

To which I will answer that I'm completely torn.
Really? That seems a no-brainer to me.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
To which I will say this:

The conversation here comes down to one choice.

Ryan Callahan for 7 years @ $6m?

or

Mats Zuccarello for 4-5 years @ $3.5-4m?

To which I will answer that I'm completely torn.

It's easily the latter for me personally. Watching Zucc this year has been one of the very few bright spots and he is probably my favorite player on this team right now not named McDonagh or Lundqvist. Kreider is up there as well.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
On an un-Cally related note, if Subban gets dealt and it seems NYR could have upped the offer without killing the team, I'll be really peeved.

Guy is, and will be one of the top 2 offensive d-men of the 2010's.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if Subban gets dealt, it will definitely not be to the Rangers strictly for PR purposes.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
I'm just curious how the hell Ryan Callahan can justify the fact that he is asking for John Tavares type money........

i know JT took a discount for the islanders, but Seriously?

If hurting the organization in terms of cap space is what this comes down to, take a walk brother. Thats a great captain right there. He's entitled to make his money......just do it elsewhere if you want 7 years at 6mill or more.

Alphacat

Sep 1, 2011
New York
It's easily the latter for me personally. Watching Zucc this year has been one of the very few bright spots and he is probably my favorite player on this team right now not named McDonagh or Lundqvist. Kreider is up there as well.
Agreed....Zucc has really impressed on almost every shift, making truly incredible plays. He is making Brass and Poo look a whole lot better too.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
There are all manner of captains: some lead by their on ice play, some by their presence off the ice, some by their reputation, some by their skill, some by the impact they have on others, some by being the liason between the coaches and the team. There are many ways to show leadership.

The fact is that none of us really know what kind of leader Cally is. Yes, we see him on the ice and in interviews after games. What we don't see is his off ice impact: after practice, on the plane, at the hotel, at team meals.

We think we know what kind of captain he is, but we don't really know. Following this team as closely as I do, I honestly can't evaluate the job he is doing as captain. I simply don't know enough, none of us do really. We all bring our own experiences to our evaluations of Cally as captain.

To me, he does try to lead by emotional on ice play, setting an example with his work ethic. He does seem to have the respect of everyone. But I cannot honestly evaluate his leadership off the ice: an area just as important as on the ice. You don't need to be rah-rah off the ice to be effective as a leader.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Zucc has been great and their line is doing just fine in the spot they are. I don't understand why people wouldn't be happy keeping zucc on a productive third line with all the PP minutes in the world. Maybe with an increase work load and having to play against the lines callahan does, zuc wouldn't be as effective. maybe getting to go against other teams 3rd lines is the competitive advantage which is resulting in the success.

You have a first line that can either go against the other teams top line or take advantage of the other lines.

You have a second line that can play man up against another teams tough match ups or best players . And can score and hold puck possession.

And you have a filthy slick third line that can literally take over a game sometimes.

And then a solid 4th line..

Seems pretty pretty good to me

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if Subban gets dealt, it will definitely not be to the Rangers strictly for PR purposes.

I follow your logic, but it's not Gainey in charge, and I don't think PR concerns would trump taking the best return on a high level asset like Subban.

Could be wrong, though.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I don't want to single anyone out for particular attention because you don't deserve it. Some of the comments regarding Callahan are absolutely OTT. Reading some of this bile laden c**p makes me ashamed and embarrassed for you guys and our fan base.

Where does this stuff come from? Hormones? Bong loads?

Maybe when you grow up, put down your video games and someday emerge from your parents basements into the real world, you will realize how hard it is to make a buck and provide for your family.

As always, I suspect their are a few on these boards with some peripheral inside info. The rest of us know jack all. Common sense gleaned from real world experience should tell anyone that this man has a right to ask his price...and then fight like hell for it.

A big reason the Rangers have the reputation they now do around the league is precisely because they chose Ryan Callahan as their captain. He has filled that role very well and represented the team, organization, fans and city in a way that should make any of us proud.

For those of you giving him a hard time, ask yourselves if you would have any where near the intestinal fortitude to handle the situation at least as well as he has.

Look at what he's accomplished, do something positive and try and take some inspiration from it.

Done with this topic. Wake me when the deal is done.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Okay I will not do that, thanks for your raspanse me.

thats my way of saying their are things people prefer to not to look at. And then get lost in a more trivial pursuit.

Not saying thats you, but based on your comment I responded to, thats what I thought of.

I don't mean to be negative to anyone. I apologize.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Really? That seems a no-brainer to me.

Yeah, I really like having Zuccarello on the team too. I just wonder about the extent to which Callahan's diminished role has affected his output.

From a pure cap point of view, Zuccarello is certainly the obvious choice. He's better value in terms of offensive output for the dollar.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Zucc has been great and their line is doing just fine in the spot they are. I don't understand why people wouldn't be happy keeping zucc on a productive third line with all the PP minutes in the world. Maybe with an increase work load and having to play against the lines callahan does, zuc wouldn't be as effective. maybe getting to go against other teams 3rd lines is the competitive advantage which is resulting in the success.

It's about cap management. Without that factor, no one really has much of a problem with Nash/Callahan/Zuccarello as our top-9 RW group.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
I don't want to single anyone out for particular attention because you don't deserve it. Some of the comments regarding Callahan are absolutely OTT. Reading some of this bile laden c**p makes me ashamed and embarrassed for you guys and our fan base.

Maybe when you grow up, put down your video games and someday emerge from your parents basements into the real world, you will realize how hard it is to make a buck and provide for your family.

As always, I suspect their are a few on these boards with some peripheral inside info. The rest of us know jack all. Common sense gleaned from real world experience should tell anyone that this man has a right to ask his price...and then fight like hell for it.

A big reason the Rangers have the reputation they now do around the league is precisely because they chose Ryan Callahan as their captain. He has filled that role very well and represented the team, organization, fans and city in a way that should make any of us proud.

For those of you giving him a hard time, ask yourselves if you would have any where near the intestinal fortitude to handle the situation at least as well as he has.

Look at what he's accomplished, do something positive and try and take some inspiration from it.

fully agree with everything you said..........but its the fact that he wants a payday that he is not truly worth ( in many peoples eyes, including sather ). If he wants to stay, but it hurts the organization in terms of cap space, sather has a business decision to make....

With the cap going up 5 million next year and an estimated 2.5 million the year after that........is 6mill really that bad? is 5mill, really more appropriate?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
thats my way of saying their are things people prefer to not to look at. And then get lost in a more trivial pursuit.

Not saying thats you, but based on your comment I responded to, thats what I thought of.

I don't mean to be negative to anyone. I apologize.

It's not me, but certainly not a topic for this particular message board. We all have our escapes.

They say when you go blind, true sight takes its place. I did not stare in to the sun however, it was instead Saturn. ;)

lucky13

Iron Chic
Sep 17, 2006
Ridgewood, NY

The character assassination in this thread is just lame .......... He has every right to try and get a max term and contract.... Hes earned by playing his butt off since he was a kid...... To deny him that right is just beyond ridiculous and greedy and selfish in of itself......

Ill be honest.... Its gonna really really sting to read about him being traded and or signing with another team... But unfortunately thats the way things are right now and it makes more sense for this franchise moving forward not to sign him at those terms and get the best possible return....

But it doesnt matter what I or anybody else says.... It makes some people feel better about themselves by talking bad about a man because of their own self righteous beliefs

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Fact of life and I am quoting here (although I don't remember who said it): You don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
It's about cap management. Without that factor, no one really has much of a problem with Nash/Callahan/Zuccarello as our top-9 RW group.

Believe me, I may not be going into numbers and all that. but I understand the numbers pretty well. they can pay these guys.

Alphacat

Sep 1, 2011
New York
fully agree with everything you said..........but its the fact that he wants a payday that he is not truly worth ( in many peoples eyes, including sather ). If he wants to stay, but it hurts the organization in terms of cap space, sather has a business decision to make....

With the cap going up 5 million next year and an estimated 2.5 million the year after that........is 6mill really that bad? is 5mill, really more appropriate?
I don't think the cap hit is incredibly crippling, but the term can prove disastrous for this team, regardless of what the cap is.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Believe me, I may not be going into numbers and all that. but I understand the numbers pretty well. they can pay these guys.

They can sign them. It's a broader choice that's the issue. Do we want to have the same team next year or try to have a better team next year? What about two years from now?

$4m and $6m 3rd liners are luxuries that teams on the cusp can afford.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I would like to re-sign cally...I really would. But the length and cost of the deal are huge issues. All of his leadership and "intangibles" aside, how much can we really afford to commit in years and dollars to a 2nd/3rd line tweener on the cusp of 30 who has scored more than 23 goals once in his career? Going into a new deal with eyes open, what realistically can we expect to get from Ryan on the ice over the next 6 years?

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Fact of life and I am quoting here (although I don't remember who said it): You don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate.

He said it:

f0fc2948d45e18963724a764177434b41716b42.jpg

Chester L Karrass

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Agreed....Zucc has really impressed on almost every shift, making truly incredible plays. He is making Brass and Poo look a whole lot better too.

Yes, and for this reason, he will not get less than 4, like some think. It's gonna be 4 yrs ~4.5... and if he accelerates from this point, where he is already our best forward, I could see that goin as high as 5M+... either way, I'd bet my life it will be 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad