Rumor: Trade Rumors Thread XV: Rangers allowing a team to talk to Callahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
I still say the value is close. Could see a 3rd round pick come back as well. That's about it

profchaos2001

Mar 2, 2012
From what i've read, Stewart has a chronic problem with lack of effort and lackadaisical defense. Of his 15 goals this season, he's scored against: The Florida Panthers, The Montreal Canadiens (twice), The Colorado Avalanche (twice), The Dallas Stars, The Toronto Maple Leafs, The Columbus Blue Jackets, The Ottawa Senators (twice), The Edmonton Oilers (four times), and the Calgary Flames. Those are some pretty bad teams.

This guy seems like the exact opposite of a Callahan and not something we need or want.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Chris Stewart is Wojtek Wolski 2.0 attitude wise. Quite skilled, good frame, but plain and simple lazy. DO. NOT. WANT.

So yeah, sounds like Sather.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Think we could get a draft pick with stewart for callahan? I am not enamored with Stewart much.

Maybe flip Stewart to islanders for vanek? To Devils for Jagr?

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
There's no way the market for Callahan would be that bad where the Rangers would have to settle for Stewart only.

If that was the case, rather just play out the year with him and deal his rights for a 5th in the offseason.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Think we could get a draft pick with stewart for callahan? I am not enamored with Stewart much.

Maybe flip Stewart to islanders for vanek? To Devils for Jagr?

If Snow has a stroke and a heart attack at the same time maybe.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
From what i've read, Stewart has a chronic problem with lack of effort and lackadaisical defense. Of his 15 goals this season, he's scored against: The Florida Panthers, The Montreal Canadiens (twice), The Colorado Avalanche (twice), The Dallas Stars, The Toronto Maple Leafs, The Columbus Blue Jackets, The Ottawa Senators (twice), The Edmonton Oilers (four times), and the Calgary Flames. Those are some pretty bad teams.

This guy seems like the exact opposite of a Callahan and not something we need or want.

Montreal has the best Canadian goalie in the NHL, the Avs and Leafs are not bad by any stretch, it's not 2008 anymore. It's really assanine to slight a goal, let alone a complete player, because it's againsr a generally weaker team. Every player that makes the NHL is an athletic freak of nature, the are no BAD teams in that sense.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Vanek is a UFA. The islanders are sinking. How is that unrealistic?

I think Vanek is a much better player than Stewart, that's how. The Isles have a chance to re-sign him, from what I've heard via Austrian media, he likes it there. If they're gonna sell him, they'll get a better return than Stewart. Vanek straight up for Stewart is worse than Callahan straight up for Stewart value wise.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Vanek is a UFA. The islanders are sinking. How is that unrealistic?

So the Rangers are going to trade Callahan, because he is an impending free agent and might not be able to be signed...so they trade him for an asset that will be here beyond the rest of this season, only to trade him for an impending UFA who would most def go to free agency and ask for way more than Callahan?

Does this logic make sense to you?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
That's not insisting that he plays scared or intimidated.

That's me saying he doesn't use his size, at all. And he doesn't, his whole NHL career he hasn't done anything with his ridiculous frame.

Again, not true at all. He's like Nash in the sense that he doesn't throw enough bone crushing hits, but because he's 6'4 it's somehow a major flaw in his game. Stewart effectively uses his size to get to the net and muscle defenders on the boards and on the rush. I don't need him to be Lucic.

He's not a fit in that system. He was doing very well in Colorado before he was traded and has quietly put up solid numbers with St. Louis.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Sather, Gorton and Clarke liked Clowe last year. He left. Stewart is of a similar size. This team needs to add size to their top-9 somehow. Maybe he thrives with Zuccarello.

I'm not 100% against it, just need to see what else would be coming back...

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
The main reason I'm not that interested in a deal centered around Stewart is that given the presence of Fast/Kristo/Miller in HFD, we should be using this as an opportunity to add assets in positions of weakness and promoting from within. It's a classic opportunity for asset reallocation to build a more complete team/organization. The whole reason why you draft BPA is so that when a DZ doesn't work out (for example), you trade a Cally for a PMD and promote a Fast to take his place.

EDIT: That said, if there's a significant "plus" coming back from the Blues, it could still be interesting. Stewart had very good numbers in Colorado (and last year) and has size and speed. If he's part of a larger deal, I could be on board. Cally for Stewart straight up, however, would be a mistake.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
So the Rangers are going to trade Callahan, because he is an impending free agent and might not be able to be signed...so they trade him for an asset that will be here beyond the rest of this season, only to trade him for an impending UFA who would most def go to free agency and ask for way more than Callahan?

Does this logic make sense to you?

You make it seem like Stewart is signed long term. He is only signed through next season. He is inconsistent. If the Rangers get a draft pick and/or prospect back with stewart than flipping stewart to another team is not outrageous.

Punxrocknyc19*

Don't most players have more goals against crappier teams?

how many have Gaborik scored vs Islanders Oilers and Panthers.. a lot of players good and bad have scored vs bad teams. like bad teams can make a good team look like garbage. it happens.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Would have to be Stewart +. Stewart is an okay complimentary piece with a bad reputation. I don't buy into that reputation as much as others, but he's simply not enough on his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad