Rumor: Trade Rumors Thread XV: Rangers allowing a team to talk to Callahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Can I point out that while most would agree this year has been Cally's biggest struggle, between being hammered with injuries and general struggling, he's still put up 21 points in 39 games.

Assuming he doesn't get a hot streak going (which, as a fan, I totally expect), that would make his worst year in the mid 40 pt pace range. For a worst season, that's not awful. Not good, but players have off years.

Gaborik had barely 50 point season.
I think Nash had a 30-30
Dubinsky...I don't need to tell you.

Personal opinion: I think we'll see better play from Callahan this year and in the future than what we've seen so far this season.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I don't want to single anyone out for particular attention because you don't deserve it. Some of the comments regarding Callahan are absolutely OTT. Reading some of this bile laden c**p makes me ashamed and embarrassed for you guys and our fan base.

Where does this stuff come from? Hormones? Bong loads?

Maybe when you grow up, put down your video games and someday emerge from your parents basements into the real world, you will realize how hard it is to make a buck and provide for your family.

As always, I suspect their are a few on these boards with some peripheral inside info. The rest of us know jack all. Common sense gleaned from real world experience should tell anyone that this man has a right to ask his price...and then fight like hell for it.

A big reason the Rangers have the reputation they now do around the league is precisely because they chose Ryan Callahan as their captain. He has filled that role very well and represented the team, organization, fans and city in a way that should make any of us proud.

For those of you giving him a hard time, ask yourselves if you would have any where near the intestinal fortitude to handle the situation at least as well as he has.

Look at what he's accomplished, do something positive and try and take some inspiration from it.

Done with this topic. Wake me when the deal is done.

I don't hate the guy for demanding more than is reasonable at all, but having said that, I can't muster up the strength to feel bad for someone who is likely to walk away from a ~15 year career with ~50 million+ dollars regardless of whether or not that 50 is 55 or 60, or 45 or 40. That's a huge amount of money. Absolutely huge. And it's earned over a small window of time. That's generations worth of income earned for doing something that, as much as I like it, provides almost no tangible benefit to society.

You're right that it's hard to make money and support a family for most people. That should make it more obvious that this guy is living the absolute dream playing a game for a decade and a half and walking away with more money than most entire families make in multiple generations.

I don't care if he wants 100 million dollars, he's worked hard and it's fully his right to ask for whatever he wants and thinks he can get. Having said that, this idea that nobody should suggest taking a reasonable contract because it's so hard to make a buck is ridiculous. It is hard to make a buck, but this scenario doesn't show it even the tiniest bit.

UlfNilsson

Oct 17, 2011
Baltimore, MD
Maybe when you grow up, put down your video games and someday emerge from your parents basements into the real world, you will realize how hard it is to make a buck and provide for your family.

Word. $5 mil per barely puts waffles on the table. People need to wake up a get with the reality of how much it costs to support a family. Slats needs to stop being so cheap.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
They can sign them. It's a broader choice that's the issue. Do we want to have the same team next year or try to have a better team next year? What about two years from now?

$4m and $6m 3rd liners are luxuries that teams on the cusp can afford.

To be honest, I don't think there is a way to make this a exponentially better team then what you see right now, by letting guys go and bringing in other guys. Ill repost what I had said earlier about how this does get better year to year going forward.

Now with as violatile and to me a hollow financial situation as there is, yeah I wouldn't be so sure everything goes according to plan with the NHL revenues. But at the pace they are at, they are generating more and more revenue all the while the financial landscape is as it is. But seriously if the caps continues to go up, you have to look at both old and new deals, scaling it to the past, present, and future markets.

If in upcoming years the average salary is in fact 4million. Well right now and I think for the next 3-4 years Callahan is worth 2million more then the average rate. And zucc I believe will continue to get better and better, that doesn't mean he will ever be able to play against the likes of the biggest and best in the league. So 4 million for him could and should be a bargain for him.

I know things could happen and callahan could get injured or just not live up to the contract. But from what I have seen from the player, and I've watched his entire career like a lot of guys here. He's just a winning player, he does things that you need to do to win, and he score and he defend against the best, and he's proven. I was at game 6 of the conference finals at newark. Callahan scored that tying goal, with the season on the line, he came up big, he rose to the occasion. And to me, thats just the type of player he is. People talk about his numbers in the playoffs, is it not obvious that before Nash got here his line was gonna be the line that matched up against the other teams best. Sometimes just negating the opposing teams production is the first key to beating certain teams. I just think the rangers will find themselves in a position they need to replace him and can't. And people take it for granted what he does.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
I would like to re-sign cally...I really would. But the length and cost of the deal are huge issues. All of his leadership and "intangibles" aside, how much can we really afford to commit in years and dollars to a 2nd/3rd line tweener on the cusp of 30 who has scored more than 23 goals once in his career? Going into a new deal with eyes open, what realistically can we expect to get from Ryan on the ice over the next 6 years?

I wouldn't, for the reasons everyone mentioned... remember Drury? It's always those guys, the Mike Yorks, Sean Averys, that play bigger than they are and aren't good after 30-31... Jason Blake was a rarity, but even Gionta just isn't so good anymore. We need a Bertuzzi, a guy that can score for years, but still have size/strength/some mobility at 38, 39, 40.

We got in Callahan what we looked for in Matt Cullen and every other guy we had just like that. He was unbelievable, great memories, good ok, now move on from this era of third-line-grinders-who- over-achievee-are-gods.

UlfNilsson

Oct 17, 2011
Baltimore, MD
BisquickBoxORecipes.jpg

Bisquick 1975 -.75 cents per box

bisquick.jpg

Bisquick 2014 - $750,000 per box

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
From trade thread XIII post #769

"Where is the money coming from to upgrade the roster?

That's with Miller and Fast making the team, only (2) reserve players and Brassard taking less than his QO of 3.7 million."
Viper

In regards to an impact player, maybe next year the rangers don't bring in an impact player. If you are able to resign Girardi and Stralman, well then your D is set for years. We are set there.

I'd like to have Boyle back. But Im thinking closing to 2mil a year. maybe 4-5 years.

Id have to say eventually, unless he blossoms and becomes consistent, Brassard is the odd man out and maybe its not next year. Maybe its the 2015 offseason, and then the Rangers have to either somehow try to get a 1center or keep stepan at 1c and find a 2nd line center with that.

additionally once your getting close to the 2015 offseason, then the question comes up about staal. IF stall stays then someone becomes expendable. Whether that be any of the 6 the rangers have now, or lets say Allen, MCI, or SKeji. IF staal leaves, you have his money to bring in players.

Also the cap will supposedly go up again next summer right.

So again I say, Im not gonna try to give a stanley cup roster for next year. Bc Im not gonna deal in absolutes and extremes, thats not realistic. But to say that adding a couple pieces here or there and upgrading here and there won't add up to a team that can win a cup within the next 3-4 years, isn't true either.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
It's easily the latter for me personally. Watching Zucc this year has been one of the very few bright spots and he is probably my favorite player on this team right now not named McDonagh or Lundqvist. Kreider is up there as well.

You can see how a coaches strategy can either really help or really hurt some players. What AV has done has allowed Zucc to flourish. As much as I liked Torts I would have serious doubts about Zucc having half the production if Torts was still coaching.

Nightshift

Mar 22, 2013
I can barely afford to go to a game. I support myself and work hard. Yes, to hear good players demanding numbers that are absurdly ridiculous is indeed aggravating as a fan. Especially since that player is the captain. He has every right to ask whatever crazy numbers he likes, and he every right as fans to laugh in his face.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
I don't hate the guy for demanding more than is reasonable at all, but having said that, I can't muster up the strength to feel bad for someone who is likely to walk away from a ~15 year career with ~50 million+ dollars regardless of whether or not that 50 is 55 or 60, or 45 or 40. That's a huge amount of money. Absolutely huge. And it's earned over a small window of time. That's generations worth of income earned for doing something that, as much as I like it, provides almost no tangible benefit to society.

You're right that it's hard to make money and support a family for most people. That should make it more obvious that this guy is living the absolute dream playing a game for a decade and a half and walking away with more money than most entire families make in multiple generations.

I don't care if he wants 100 million dollars, he's worked hard and it's fully his right to ask for whatever he wants and thinks he can get. Having said that, this idea that nobody should suggest taking a reasonable contract because it's so hard to make a buck is ridiculous. It is hard to make a buck, but this scenario doesn't show it even the tiniest bit.

Yuuup

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I can barely afford to go to a game. I support myself and work hard. Yes, to hear good players demanding numbers that are absurdly ridiculous is indeed aggravating as a fan. Especially since that player is the captain. He has every right to ask whatever crazy numbers he likes, and he every right as fans to laugh in his face.

As long as people keep buying tickets and watching on TV the salaries will continue to rise. If he needs to make more money and would rather go elsewhere to get it that's clearly his choice.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
As much as everyone hates Crosby he could be maxed out at 12m a year until the end of time yet he signed his contract with an 8.7m cap a.) because he's an egomaniac? or superstitious and b.) because he knows his team needs to be able to build around him. Callahan is worth about 5m based on his body of work, he wants another 1-1.5m for intangibles. I remember the last time we paid for intangibles.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
On an un-Cally related note, if Subban gets dealt and it seems NYR could have upped the offer without killing the team, I'll be really peeved.

Guy is, and will be one of the top 2 offensive d-men of the 2010's.

When did the NYR ever put in an offer? What did I miss? Acquiring Subban without trading McDonagh would give us the best defense in the league. :cry: I need info!

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I'm just curious how the hell Ryan Callahan can justify the fact that he is asking for John Tavares type money........

i know JT took a discount for the islanders, but Seriously?

If hurting the organization in terms of cap space is what this comes down to, take a walk brother. Thats a great captain right there. He's entitled to make his money......just do it elsewhere if you want 7 years at 6mill or more.

not comparable on any level...at all.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
As much as everyone hates Crosby he could be maxed out at 12m a year until the end of time yet he signed his contract with an 8.7m cap a.) because he's an egomaniac? or superstitious and b.) because he knows his team needs to be able to build around him. Callahan is worth about 5m based on his body of work, he wants another 1-1.5m for intangibles. I remember the last time we paid for intangibles.

Point of interest, Crosby's likely to have a career that could be twice as long as Cally's.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

According to some here, NHL players never take discounts. Your post is blasphemy :sarcasm:

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Point of interest, Crosby's likely to have a career that could be twice as long as Cally's.

Yes, and I understand Cally's gotta make his money while he can and I respect that aspect of it. But you need to be reasonable, agents are a big part of it. Besides he can always get into the pizza business when he's done.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
like right now there's a tweet from a NY rangers affiliated twitter account that states.

#Rangers offer Callahan 5 year, $30M. Callahan wants 7 year deal, as I've been posting. Now we'll see how bad he wants to stay a Ranger.

Now that is negotiating in bad faith. That sours a person's feelings. Literally pitting Callahan against the fans. I dislike all these Ranger affiliated twitter accounts and websites. The Rangers media machine is cancerous. And I've seen the guys who tweet, well I think I did at traverse city, like a 22 year old kid, kid face, just tweeting away. The most cliche, college class answers and what not. The Rangers PR machine and the garden's affiliation with CAA is a major turnoff to someone who sees things the way I do.

They had, and they still have the potential to be, but its teetering. They had this awesome culture of being a hockey team, an inspiring hockey team, and the MSG marketing people wanted a more exciting product that would make fans or shall I say business associates such as baby punisher on this board here, pay up without complaining the games were too boring for the price they were paying.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Yes, and I understand Cally's gotta make his money while he can and I respect that aspect of it. But you need to be reasonable, agents are a big part of it. Besides he can always get into the pizza business when he's done.

Papa Johns. Papa Johns. Did I say Papa Johns

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
like right now there's a tweet from a NY rangers affiliated twitter account that states.

#Rangers offer Callahan 5 year, $30M. Callahan wants 7 year deal, as I've been posting. Now we'll see how bad he wants to stay a Ranger.

Now that is negotiating in bad faith. That sours a person's feelings. Literally pitting Callahan against the fans. I dislike all these Ranger affiliated twitter accounts and websites. The Rangers media machine is cancerous. And I've seen the guys who tweet, well I think I did at traverse city, like a 22 year old kid, kid face, just tweeting away. The most cliche, college class answers and what not. The Rangers PR machine and the garden's affiliation with CAA is a major turnoff to someone who sees things the way I do.

They had, and they still, but its teetering. They had this awesome culture of being a hockey team, an inspiring hockey team, and the MSG marketing people wanted a more exciting product that would make fans or shall I say business association such as baby punisher on this board here, pay up without complaining the games were too boring for the price they were paying.

That's an awful, AWFUL tweet.

But I still kinda hope it works.

But really, it's ******. They're basically daring him to hold out. I hope the antagonizing aspect works, and convinces him to sign, but personally, I'd take it as a challenge. Stupid, stupid move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad