Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
You shouldn't expect a high pick in this year's draft for Karlsson. He's going to want to sign with a contender and they won't have a lottery pick to give up.

Ottawa was one goal away from the SCF one yr & found themselves in the lottery draft the next yr. Edm was also a pretty good team two yrs ago & also found themselves in the lottery. Detroit was not a bad team a few yrs ago & are steadily declining & could use a boost. Whose to say that a team who is in the lottery this yr may not be a contender next yr especially given what an expansion team has done this yr? EK might like Detroit & turn them into a playoff team & it's not that far a flight from Ottawa to Detroit, just ask Alfredsson.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Ottawa was one goal away from the SCF one yr & found themselves in the lottery draft the next yr. Edm was also a pretty good team two yrs ago & also found themselves in the lottery. Detroit was not a bad team a few yrs ago & are steadily declining & could use a boost. Whose to say that a team who is in the lottery this yr may not be a contender next yr especially given what an expansion team has done this yr? EK might like Detroit & turn them into a playoff team & it's not that far a flight from Ottawa to Detroit, just ask Alfredsson.

I think Detroit is going in a rebuilding direction. They probably should too.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If the core is gone (EK, Stone, Duchene) I think it's likely that you get close to 10,000. It would be an AHL team.
we're not trading those 3 for 7th round picks. other players coming.. probably really good young players. and high picks.. cant sell winning.. so we sell hope
( all those three wont be gone though so..)(

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I agree completely

realistically even god himself, Daniel Alfredsson, has indicated that EK wants to be here

that appears to be what is real

not your rant about the ****ty city we live in
ive gone from 80-20 karlsson is leaving to 50-50. but i mean that has nothing to do with alfies comments.. what on earth else is he suppose to say?

when people hear what they want to hear its fact and "what is real". when its not what they want to hear its "fake news' " wheres the proof"

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I would say for the most part, anyone who has been living in one city/home for a few years and is comfortable would rather not move, if they had the choice. I don't know of too many people out there who like having to move from city to city, and re-building a network every time (not to mention the hassle of moving itself).

But....money talks. In a 7-year deal, a difference of 1-2 million per year, plus tax difference (depending on location) could see a difference of millions in your pocket. When you start thinking of living another 50 years after your NHL career, sending your kids to good schools, and helping out your family back in Sweden....the money doesn't go as far as many people think. Hell, a private school like St Andrews college costs $60-75k per year! For one kid!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Karlsson & Ryan to Canes for #2, Faulk, Rask and Necas
Would not happen in our wildest dreams. With or without Ryan. If they could simply get #2 and faulk I'd be ecstatic. Svechnikov is the real deal star forward and Faulk is a top 2 d that can run the pp. Then the sens can pick a d man at 4.

Last edited:

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Would not happen in our wildest dreams. With or without Ryan. If they could simply get #2 and faulk I'd be ecstatic. Svechnikov is the real deal star forward and Faulk is a top 2 d that can run the pp. Then the sens can pick a d man at 4.
I suggested EK for #2 and Hanifin and Canes fans lost it, I can't imagine the reaction to taking on Bobby as well as getting Rask + Necas. Would be one heck of a way to accelerate a rebuild though, take Svech at 2, a D at 4 and take a run at Dehaan. We'd be young but big time exciting.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I suggested EK for #2 and Hanifin and Canes fans lost it, I can't imagine the reaction to taking on Bobby as well as getting Rask + Necas. Would be one heck of a way to accelerate a rebuild though, take Svech at 2, a D at 4 and take a run at Dehaan. We'd be young but big time exciting.
everyone loses it at any trade offer. thing is people dont quite understand how good karlsson is. they say "yeaaah hes good BUT" when there is no But. hes just amazing. svechnikov and hanifin isnt a high price to pay. i cant think of a comparable if someone came to us and asked for #2 overall. but if it was karlsson i probably say yes. if i was in Tampas shoes i would have given serg and point very easily. but when you say this on their board theyre like "stop trying to convince us" as if them saying "yes" somehow makes the trade real.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
everyone loses it at any trade offer. thing is people dont quite understand how good karlsson is. they say "yeaaah hes good BUT" when there is no But. hes just amazing. svechnikov and hanifin isnt a high price to pay. i cant think of a comparable if someone came to us and asked for #2 overall. but if it was karlsson i probably say yes. if i was in Tampas shoes i would have given serg and point very easily. but when you say this on their board theyre like "stop trying to convince us" as if them saying "yes" somehow makes the trade real.
I don't think the Canes would ever gut their prospect pool to that extent for EK, unless their owner is in win now mode but I believe he is closer to Melnyk who is in profit now mode.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't think the Canes would ever gut their prospect pool to that extent for EK, unless their owner is in win now mode but I believe he is closer to Melnyk who is in profit now mode.

They wouldnt, however number 2 and Faulk or Hanifin for an extended Karlsson is a fair trade for both teams.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
They wouldnt, however number 2 and Faulk or Hanifin for an extended Karlsson is a fair trade for both teams.
That's what I was saying, however including Bobby in exchange for Necas and Rask is totally unrealistic unless their GM is highly intoxicated

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
svechnikov and hanifin isnt gutting the prospect pool. adding necas and rask would be though. and i think thats very unrealistic

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That's what I was saying, however including Bobby in exchange for Necas and Rask is totally unrealistic unless their GM is highly intoxicated
Are we retaining any salary on Ryan? I think Ryan at 50% retained holds some value, probably still not that much, but enough to perhaps get a bit more back.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Are we retaining any salary on Ryan? I think Ryan at 50% retained holds some value, probably still not that much, but enough to perhaps get a bit more back.
Did we change owners? The only one we retained on was Phaneuf and that honestly was a head scratcher, he's at least healthy and effective, Gaborik is not. But we did ditch 3.3m for Thompson and gabby is a cheaper buyout so I guess that was the logic.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Did we change owners? The only one we retained on was Phaneuf and that honestly was a head scratcher, he's at least healthy and effective, Gaborik is not.

So you're discarding the precedent that we'll retain when it makes a move that will overall save us money possible because it doesn't fit your preexisting belief that we won't retain because of the owner? What it our refusal to retain in the past was because of Murray not Melnyk?

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
So you're discarding the precedent that we'll retain when it makes a move that will overall save us money possible because it doesn't fit your preexisting belief that we won't retain because of the owner? What it our refusal to retain in the past was because of Murray not Melnyk?
LOL, I forgot how NHL GM's are always wanting to spend well below the cap and ice a team on a budget rather than the best they can. They all work like that right?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
LOL, I forgot how NHL GM's are always wanting to spend well below the cap and ice a team on a budget rather than the best they can. They all work like that right?

The point is Ryan will be very hard to move without retaining, just like Phaneuf was. So, there's precedent that we're willing to eat salary if overall it saves us money. Retaining is also a much better option than buying out a player, and despite our team historically not being willing to do that, Dorion has already alluded to discussing the possibility with a couple players.

You can laugh it off, but the reality is we've done things recently that was atypical of past behaviour.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

The resistance to Karlsson has less to do with him and more to do with Carolina's organizational makeup. The Canes have a wealth of talent on defense, but are lacking at forward. The following chart of how Carolina compares with the average of playoff teams in terms of 82 game paces at each forward scoring position tells the story:

Forward Scoring PositionMean Extrapolated Points (Playoff Teams)Carolina Extrapolated PointsNet
18968-21
27564-11
36551-14
45249-3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Karlsson doesn't fix that and he would likely be stuck languishing in mediocrity in Carolina because of it, particularly considering how much of the internal budget he'd be consuming. Svechnikov, presumably, is Carolina's best chance at addressing the issue of high-end skill.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
The resistance to Karlsson has less to do with him and more to do with Carolina's organizational makeup. The Canes have a wealth of talent on defense, but are lacking at forward. The following chart of how Carolina compares with the average of playoff teams in terms of 82 game paces at each forward scoring position tells the story:

Forward Scoring PositionMean Extrapolated Points (Playoff Teams)Carolina Extrapolated PointsNet
18968-21
27564-11
36551-14
45249-3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Karlsson doesn't fix that and he would likely be stuck languishing in mediocrity in Carolina because of it, particularly considering how much of the internal budget he'd be consuming. Svechnikov, presumably, is Carolina's best chance at addressing the issue of high-end skill.

You can pull all the stats that you want, but Karlsson is on another level. He transforms the team and feeds forwards and changes their transition game for 30 minutes a night, on a scale that can't be measured. Every time he has the puck something happens.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

It's funny how people love their lotto tickets.

I mean, it's not like we're that far away from the Yakupov draft. Image trading away Erik for Yak.......

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Thing is I feel like we wouldn't trade Karlsson at the draft just because he couldn't sign an extension with a team at that point, and if we want a big return it would most certainly have to involve EK signing an extension with his new team.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Gonchar? He was a pretty big part of the team, and not replacing him when he left was a huge problem imo.

This seems to be a trend with the Senators. If I am not mistaken they almost always fail to replace a meaningful d man after he is lost to free agency or trade. Who did the Sens replace after they lost Sergei Gonchar, Filip Kuba, Anton Volchenkov, Andy Sutton and Marc Methot? Will they bring in someone to replace Dion Phaneuf?

Reactions: NB613
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad