Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Should Ottawa kick tires on Enstrom this summer, or is he basically Oduya 2.0 at this point?

Better than Oduya, but that's a hell of a low bar to clear.

Probably an OK 3rd pairing guy at this stage of his career and not much more. In a vaccuum, I'd be ok with him on a 1 year "prove you still have it" veterans deal on the 3rd pairing, and hope Guy doesn't mistake him for anything more than that and play him above his ability.

It's basically public knowledge at this point that him and Maurice hated eachother. Maybe a change of scenery would be good for him...

Reactions: Deku and Silencio

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Would you guys trade Hoffman (+?) for Kessel?

Hoffman makes 12.3m (5.127m cap hit/year) over the next two years; Kessel makes 12.6m (at a 6.8m cap hit/year). At that point, Hoffman's contract expires and Kessel's salary goes down to 4.8m per year for the next two years.

Pens are apparently looking at dealing Kessel and they are targetting an LW.

Yeah, I'd do it in a second. Kessel will most likely be better than Hoffman during that entire four year span, and he'll cost significantly less in years 3+4 than Hoffman. If things don't work out, it's not like Kessel would be worth less than Hoffman is now in terms of futures. This team is trying to be a contender 2 years from now with a 5 year plan, so Kessel's contract would mostly fit in with our window. The only reason it really works is because Kessel's salary will be so incredibly low in years 3+4.

I don't see the Penguins doing it unless they are extremely hard up for cap. Kessel is significantly better than Hoffman, so trading Kessel for Hoffman+1.6M cap space doesn't seem likely to me.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He's too old to make sense. We also actually have depth on RW here and virtually none without Hoffman.

Boucher mixes the forwards up a ton regardless of handedness anyways, and Ryan can play either wing while apparently actually preferring the left side. Dzingel and Duchene are also both left shots, so we'll probably have at least one left handed shot on either of the top two lines.

While I don't agree that it creates an issue with LW VS RW, if we somehow could get Kessel 1 for 1 for Hoffman, I think it's also the type of scenario where you don't stare a gift horse in the mouth, take Kessel regardless of fit, and figure out how to balance the team later.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Yeah, I'd do it in a second. Kessel will most likely be better than Hoffman during that entire four year span, and he'll cost significantly less in years 3+4 than Hoffman. If things don't work out, it's not like Kessel would be worth less than Hoffman is now in terms of futures. This team is trying to be a contender 2 years from now with a 5 year plan, so Kessel's contract would mostly fit in with our window. The only reason it really works is because Kessel's salary will be so incredibly low in years 3+4.

I don't see the Penguins doing it unless they are extremely hard up for cap. Kessel is significantly better than Hoffman, so trading Kessel for Hoffman+1.6M cap space doesn't seem likely to me.

Apparently, the justification behind trading Kessel is that he and Sullivan have had a few riffs and rifts form over the past few years. Also, getting a natural LW.

I agree re: Kessel being better and having sustainable value, but I also see the merit in getting immediate futures if we decide to trade Hoffman. Kessel would go a long way to helping us remain out of the basement next year, though, that's for sure.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Apparently, the justification behind trading Kessel is that he and Sullivan have had a few riffs and rifts form over the past few years. Also, getting a natural LW.

I agree re: Kessel being better and having sustainable value, but I also see the merit in getting immediate futures if we decide to trade Hoffman. Kessel would go a long way to helping us remain out of the basement next year, though, that's for sure.
If we trade Hoffman it needs to either be for futures or for help on defense. Having about 20M tied up in RWers where one guy would probably be stuck on the 2nd PP and 3rd line, we're doing an even more awful job of managing our salary woes.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I wonder if Dan Hamhuis is still decent/if he'll be re-signed by the Stars
If he's still decent we probably can't afford him anyway though

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I wonder if Dan Hamhuis is still decent/if he'll be re-signed by the Stars
If he's still decent we probably can't afford him anyway though

I think Enstrom could be a good option. He would solidify the bottom pairing at the very least.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I think Enstrom could be a good option. He would solidify the bottom pairing at the very least.

He may be leaning towards retirement. Either way he was a healthy scratch for a number of playoff games and didn't really contribute much when he did play.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
He may be leaning towards retirement. Either way he was a healthy scratch for a number of playoff games and didn't really contribute much when he did play.

Maybe he will go over to Europe but he's only 33.

Among d-men who played 400 minutes:

4th in corsi against/60
5th in fewnwick against/60
4th in shots against/60
12th in goals against/60
1st in scoring chances against/60
1st in high danger chances against/60

I'm not a huge fancy stats guy, and he didn't have the toughest competition by any stretch of the imagination, but he has pretty great metrics across the board. His offense has suffered but he still makes a good outlet pass, which is something our system was missing this past season. I think he has at least another year or two as an effective DMan so long as he is deployed effectively.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I know they own the pick. But at this point I want to mitigate the massive return that COL got for Duchene. I don't think that this franchise can deal with giving them the best shot at #1 overall. I don't know how this team can rebound from that. Hoffman, Ceci, and Smith should all go for picks or people on ELCs and there will be money to afford the core guys. If you get a decent return for them and don't get utterly roasted in trades you should be able to entice them to stay.

But, what is more important....trying to stick ti to Colorado, or trying to do what's best for Ottawa long-term?

Look, I know how you feel. Some of those Avs fans are real assholes, and coming in here like vultures and laughing at us. Hell, some of them are even talking about poaching Stone. At this point, I'd love for their team plane to fly right into a mountain as karma for their greed...but it ain't gonna happen.

Best we can do is try to plan what's best for Ottawa. Keep 1 or 2 out of the 3....then what? We pick between 9-18 for the next 5 years? Watch as Stone/Karlsson/Duchene age out of their primes?

The only way forward, is either find a way to keep all 3...or to move all 3 and rebuild. The middle ground is death.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Ahh... so nice to daydream about acquiring good players or spending money on quality free agents.

Not happening fellas. Lol

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Ahh... so nice to daydream about acquiring good players or spending money on quality free agents.

Not happening fellas. Lol

If we trade Karlsson and Hoffman we will have some money to go shopping, but that doesn’t mean any top guys will want to come here.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
What indicators do we have that we would actually use that money to go shopping? I'm sure we'll save it for "When the time is right"

Good point. I guess it also depends on what we get back if we deal Hoffman and Karlsson, but I wonder if we’d hit the floor if we traded them. Might have no choice but to sign some guys.

Then again, Stone and Ceci do need new deals.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
What UFA in their right mind would want to come to Ottawa after they traded Karlsson and seeing the complete shit show the team is in?

We will have our usual UFA period, overpay a guy like Thompson or Oduya or Corvo while saying that we don't make splashes during UFA period and need to build from within, while simultaneously giving draft picks away.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
Between Harpur, Boro, Wolanin, and Claesson there's already a log jam for bottom pair LD. Is he really going to be noticeably better than any of those other guys?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I would think that if they traded Karlsson it would include either a top 7 pick this yr so they could draft a forward & a defencemen too in 2018 or it would include a 2019 1st rd pick, maybe higher than 2018 pick they trade for this yr. Personally, I prefer the idea of getting a top 6 forward & a top 4 defenceman in one draft, in this 2018 draft rather than wait for a 2019 first rd pick. Two of these four guys would be a pretty good haul & might generate a lot of positive attention for the team.

#4 Tkachuk or Zadina
#6 Bouchard or Dobson

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I would think that if they traded Karlsson it would include either a top 7 pick this yr so they could draft a forward & a defencemen too in 2018 or it would include a 2019 1st rd pick, maybe higher than 2018 pick they trade for this yr. Personally, I prefer the idea of getting a top 6 forward & a top 4 defenceman in one draft, in this 2018 draft rather than wait for a 2019 first rd pick. Two of these four guys would be a pretty good haul & might generate a lot of positive attention for the team.

#4 Tkachuk or Zadina
#6 Bouchard or Dobson
You shouldn't expect a high pick in this year's draft for Karlsson. He's going to want to sign with a contender and they won't have a lottery pick to give up.

Reactions: Hutz

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
What UFA in their right mind would want to come to Ottawa after they traded Karlsson and seeing the complete **** show the team is in?

We will have our usual UFA period, overpay a guy like Thompson or Oduya or Corvo while saying that we don't make splashes during UFA period and need to build from within, while simultaneously giving draft picks away.

You forgot our biggest recent free agent signing. One David Legwand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad