Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
The point is Ryan will be very hard to move without retaining, just like Phaneuf was. So, there's precedent that we're willing to eat salary if overall it saves us money. Retaining is also a much better option than buying out a player, and despite our team historically not being willing to do that, Dorion has already alluded to discussing the possibility with a couple players.

You can laugh it off, but the reality is we've done things recently that was atypical of past behaviour.

Maybe he could get swapped for another bad contract. Milan Lucic, Kyle Okoposo, Andrew Ladd and Corey Perry all could be options.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Maybe he could get swapped for another bad contract. Milan Lucic, Kyle Okoposo, Andrew Ladd and Corey Perry all could be options.
And Ryan is better than all of the above, so why would we want to move his contract for a worse option.

If Ryan's string of hand injuries can come to an end, he is a useful player who is overpaid.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
And Ryan is better than all of the above, so why would we want to move his contract for a worse option.

If Ryan's string of hand injuries can come to an end, he is a useful player who is overpaid.

Is he really? He has his moments and there still is a lot of skill there but he is incredibly inconsistent and he really lacks intensity. Maybe those players aren't better but I would give that some serious thought. Maybe given that we likely have to be stuck with a bad contract, that one of those players may actually be more useful than Ryan.

If Ryan could stay healthy and if he committed to getting in great shape it might be a different story. But the team is in need of making changes and maybe switching Ryan could at least have a positive for changing the identity of the team.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It's funny how people love their lotto tickets.

I mean, it's not like we're that far away from the Yakupov draft. Image trading away Erik for Yak.......
And age isn’t necessarily a factor either. 8 years of Erik. Maybe regression in his last year? In 8 years of having a Norris caliber player at the end of that when everyone is 8 years older are they gonna be like “damn, shouldn’t have traded away those two guys for Erik”. The answer is “probably not”. The only guarantee in the nhl is that you get a draft every single year. The chances of you drafting a karlsson are extremely low though. Like, incredibly low.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The resistance to Karlsson has less to do with him and more to do with Carolina's organizational makeup. The Canes have a wealth of talent on defense, but are lacking at forward. The following chart of how Carolina compares with the average of playoff teams in terms of 82 game paces at each forward scoring position tells the story:

Forward Scoring PositionMean Extrapolated Points (Playoff Teams)Carolina Extrapolated PointsNet
18968-21
27564-11
36551-14
45249-3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Karlsson doesn't fix that and he would likely be stuck languishing in mediocrity in Carolina because of it, particularly considering how much of the internal budget he'd be consuming. Svechnikov, presumably, is Carolina's best chance at addressing the issue of high-end skill.
I see this. And I understand what you think. But it’s erik karlsson. If karlsson wanted to stay (I’m 50-50 on what he wants) but assuming this was any old year and we all knew he was staying. And you guys came to us and offered 2nd overall and hanifin the answer would be an incredibly easy no from me and I think everyone here. Just to clear that we really aren’t trying to rip people off (not that this is reality) . We make these trade proposals on the assumption that he’s leaving and wants to leave. That’s the only reason we’re offering him.

If one of the top players in the game is available. You acquire him. Worry about organization need and dollars after

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
This seems to be a trend with the Senators. If I am not mistaken they almost always fail to replace a meaningful d man after he is lost to free agency or trade. Who did the Sens replace after they lost Sergei Gonchar, Filip Kuba, Anton Volchenkov, Andy Sutton and Marc Methot? Will they bring in someone to replace Dion Phaneuf?

They replaced Volchenkov with Gonchar and Kuba with Methot. When Sutton left, we still had Kuba. He may have been hurt in the playoffs, I don’t recall. Just checked. He only played 53 regular seasons games that year and no playoff games, so I guess Sutton was brought in to replace an injured Kuba.

Sutton Karlsson
Phillips Volchenkov
Campoli Carkner

That’s how we lined up in the playoffs that year I think. After Sutton left, Kuba took his spot beside Karlsson.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The systemic issues on D began when we decided to roll the dice on Cowen and Weircioch.

We still haven't recovered: us having Gaborik on the roster is a direct consequence of that decision.

It never comes down to one factor but that decision point is one where management failed spectacularly and could be the biggest factor as to our struggles as a team.

Methot helped but he started breaking down, and looking at his 17-18 season, shedding his contract for nothing might turn out to be a huge boon.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The systemic issues on D began when we decided to roll the dice on Cowen and Weircioch.

We still haven't recovered: us having Gaborik on the roster is a direct consequence of that decision.

It never comes down to one factor but that decision point is one where management failed spectacularly and could be the biggest factor as to our struggles as a team.

Methot helped but he started breaking down, and looking at his 17-18 season, shedding his contract for nothing might turn out to be a huge boon.

Having Gaborik on the roster is a consequence of bad signings of the former GM: Michalek, Greening, Cowen. That plus a poor set of defensemen including Wiercioch caused our previous GM to trade for Phaneuf which resulted in an improved but far from perfect set of defensemen (Phaneuf was better than Cowen and Woercioch) but his salary was outrageous. And now we have Gaborik. Then our GM traded a young promising Center (with some issues) for a Center 5 years older with similar scoring stats. And then traded that center for a goaltending prospect and late first round draft pick. Then we got to watch Burrows and Thompson. This team’s GM management sucks!

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
If Karlsson is traded I wonder what the chances are of it being another 3-way trade

maybe two of Nashville (Subban) Edmonton (Draisaitl) Vegas (picks+prospects) or Buffalo (ROR)

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If Karlsson is traded I wonder what the chances are of it being another 3-way trade

maybe two of Nashville (Subban) Edmonton (Draisaitl) Vegas (picks+prospects) or Buffalo (ROR)

I can see it being a three way trade if it involves Ryan.

Without Ryan, the only scenario I can see where it becomes a 3 way trade, is if there is actual truth to Subban being on the outs in Nashville, and Nashville trades Subban to a 3rd team for assets to use in a Karlsson acquisition. Edmonton would be a good guess.

Even if it is Subban to EDM for Klefbom, Puljujarvi, 9th overall, and 2019 1st, and then sending those four pieces to Ottawa along with Nashville 2019 1st and Tolvanen to OTT for an extended Karlsson.

Although, giving up Tolvanen and a 1st to upgrade Subban to Karlsson doesn't make a ton of sense on paper, if there are issues with Subban in the NSH locker room and they feel they HAVE to trade him, there probably isn't any other scenario that gives them anything close to an equal replacement let alone an upgrade.

Even if my value is way off, and EDM is giving up too much, just plug in your idea of what each player would be valued at, and it would be the same idea.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Without Ryan, the only scenario I can see where it becomes a 3 way trade, is if there is actual truth to Subban being on the outs in Nashville, and Nashville trades Subban to a 3rd team for assets to use in a Karlsson acquisition. Edmonton would be a good guess.

Even if it is Subban to EDM for Klefbom, Puljujarvi, 9th overall, and 2019 1st, and then sending those four pieces to Ottawa along with Nashville 2019 1st and Tolvanen to OTT for an extended Karlsson.

Although, giving up Tolvanen and a 1st to upgrade Subban to Karlsson doesn't make a ton of sense on paper, if there are issues with Subban in the NSH locker room and they feel they HAVE to trade him, there probably isn't any other scenario that gives them anything close to an equal replacement let alone an upgrade.

Even if my value is way off, and EDM is giving up too much, just plug in your idea of what each player would be valued at, and it would be the same idea.

Wait so Karlsson returns Klefbom, Puljujarvi, 9th OVR, EDM 2019 1st, NSH 2019 1st and Tolvanen?

Add some cash and that's like a Lindros-type return.

We should be thrilled to receive half of that. Expectations have to be a lot more realistic.

Reactions: bert and Bean Drown

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

When did we get Joe Sakic? that sounds like the Duchene trade... 10OA vs 9OA btw

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Yeah, I don’t think Edmonton gives up that much for Subban. 10th overall and Pool Party might make sense.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I really don't think theres any trade to be had with Edmonton that has to do with Karlsson. Maybe Hoffman though?

Hoffman are Ceci maybe. There's zero way Edmonton can fit Karlsson in without Drai or Nuge + Klef coming our way and neither one of those seems to have a good chance of happening.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Something built around Karlsson for Drai would be great and could work in terms of player value and dollars in/out.

A shame it isn't likely to happen.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
I wonder where our share of the expansion fee is going.
Eugene-Melnyk.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad