Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Something built around Karlsson for Drai would be great and could work in terms of player value and dollars in/out.

A shame it isn't likely to happen.

There are no scenarios in which Karlsson gets traded that I would consider "great", and certainly not one in which we get a single C in return.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
There are no scenarios in which Karlsson gets traded that I would consider "great", and certainly not one in which we get a single C in return.

Getting a top line C who has a long term contract would be great within the confines of "we have to trade Karlsson".

Obviously we all would rather keep him, I did not think I had to preface my comment with something to indicate that.

Something AROUND (meaning there would be other peices involved) Karlsson for Drai would be great for us.

Reactions: Dave Sparky Allison

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
People are going to be disappointed with the return.
Hfboards Sens when Karlsson gets traded:
mpKZg.png

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Report: Kessel was furious he didn't play regularly with Malkin in playoffs

He added that the Penguins aren't "actively seeking a trade involving Kessel, but they're willing to listen if anyone makes an offer."
After a career-best 92-point season with a reasonable $6.8-million cap hit for the next four years (the Toronto Maple Leafs retain $1.2 million annually), there would presumably be no shortage of suitors for the 30-year-old.

Damn, too bad we already traded them Brassard....

BUT, perhaps they'd be willing to entertain a straight-up Hoff for Phil swap? Hmm.

GoSenatorsGo

Nov 9, 2007
As good as Kessel would be for us, he strikes me as one of those players that once he starts to decline it won’t be a slight fall from grace but a complete “hitting of the wall” and falling straight down. Also I feel like we would depend a lot on him, which has proven in the past to be danagerous, just look at him when he was on the Leafs vs Pens when he wasn’t the go to guy

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Kessel is still in his prime, and his contract is incredibly team friendly. If we're keeping the core together(and that's a big if), he'd be perfect as a complimentary player on our top-6 for the remaining 4 years on his contract. Pretty rare for a player of his caliber to be available after he just had a career best season. If he isn't getting along with Sullivan, they're probably willing to take a bit less of a return which makes a guy like Hoffman the perfect candidate for a potential trade.

I dunno, I feel like it's realistic. We'd only have to add a late pick or a lesser prospect to get it done imo.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Kessel is 30. He's likely close to the edge where he starts trending downward. And he's making more than Hoffman. Kinda feels like Pittsburgh wins that swap.

He makes more in Cap, but in real dollars, we'd only be responsible for 5.8 mil the first two years, and 4.8 the last two, because the leafs are retaining 1.2 mil. Hoffman on the other hand costs 5.65 the next two years, and will want a raise when that contract is done; this swap is exactly the type we'd make as a budget team if we're looking to upgrade without affecting the budget in a negative way.

I'd do it, assuming we also re-sign Karlsson and commit to improving the team, but I don't think he really fits into our 4-5 year plan as his best years will be those that we aren't expecting to compete for the cup.

Reactions: Boud

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Kessel will be 31 in October so perfect for Dorion I suppose. Loves the guys in their 30s.

Seriously though, we aren't adding to this team. This offseason will be about tearing apart this core because Dorion couldn't manage a budget and Melnyk wants to save a buck.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Kessel will be 31 in October so perfect for Dorion I suppose. Loves the guys in their 30s.

Seriously though, we aren't adding to this team. This offseason will be about tearing apart this core because Dorion couldn't manage a budget and Melnyk wants to save a buck.
tearing apart?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
tearing apart?
I don't know what else to describe it as. We're on the path the trade our best player and captain as well as our best goal scorer whilst being the 2nd worst team in the NHL plus not having the ability to spend more next year to improve. If you're a player that makes significant money and have trade value, you're gone in the next 12 months.

Welcome to year 2 of the Ottawa Senator's dark ages. That blog "welcome your Karlsson years" should rename to "welcome to your Dorion years"

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don't know what else to describe it as. We're on the path the trade our best player and captain as well as our best goal scorer whilst being the 2nd worst team in the NHL plus not having the ability to spend more next year to improve. If you're a player that makes significant money and have trade value, you're gone in the next 12 months.

Welcome to year 2 of the Ottawa Senator's dark ages. That blog "welcome your Karlsson years" should rename to "welcome to your Dorion years"
i dono. a trade is just that, a trade. if theyre gone were getting something else back. and parity is powerful. do you really think were gonna be bottom dwellers for years to come

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
i dono. a trade is just that, a trade. if theyre gone were getting something else back. and parity is powerful. do you really think were gonna be bottom dwellers for years to come
Oh absolutely. This is gonna be a disaster for years.

The trades are gonna be established high dollar guys for futures and cheaper players. If we get better through those trades it won't be for 4-5 years.

Reactions: Bean Drown

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Anybody know what happened to Joe Colborne? He signed a deal with the avs that he didn't live up to at all, and then missed pretty much all of this season after being waived and sent to the AHL. Did he get surgery, or something? Wondering if he might be a possible reclamation project or if he's too damaged of goods to even touch at all. .

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Anybody know what happened to Joe Colborne? He signed a deal with the avs that he didn't live up to at all, and then missed pretty much all of this season after being waived and sent to the AHL. Did he get surgery, or something? Wondering if he might be a possible reclamation project or if he's too damaged of goods to even touch at all. .

Tired of unsuccessful reclamation projects by this team - much rather give the spot to one of the younger guys.

Reactions: NB613

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Friedman was speculating (not reporting) about the prospect of us attempting to re-acquire our 2019 1st from COL. Maybe I misunderstood what he was saying, but it seemed like he apparently talked to people at the league and asked if COL/OTT could make a trade with the condition of the trade being that it would void the 1st round pick being in the Duchene trade.

"The one thing I wonder if Ottawa's gonna do, and I checked this with the league and asked if Ottawa could do this and was told yes they could. Could Ottawa go to Colorado and say 'Alright, what can we do to get rid of this stipulation'. (...) It's one thing I asked the league could Ottawa go to the Avalanche and say we'll make you a trade, and part of the deal of the trade is that they could drop that possibility, and they could. (...) You'd have to make one heck of an offer to get them to drop that and I'd be curious to see if Ottawa would do it"

31 Thoughts: The Podcast - Sportsnet.ca (24:30 in, listen for yourself because the above is loosely typed might be off a word or two)

I don't know how these conditional trades work, so I'm guessing the whole "drop the condition" part would just be if they wanted to make a deal official before the 2019 OTT pick from the Duchene deal officially transfers.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
It's hard to imagine how a trade like that could work. Any deal the Sens propose that involves taking pieces off our roster to get our 2019 pick back simultaneously increases the value of that pick. It's like a paradox!

So any deal would probably have to be futures based, and it would have to be a massive price. Would you ship #22 overall in 2018, Logan Brown, and Christian Jaros to get your 2019 1st back? Even that might not do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad