Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Not sure if posted and too lazy to check but heard on the radio today that Alfredsson said that every indication from Karlsson is that he wants to stay but it's not up to him

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Not sure if posted and too lazy to check but heard on the radio today that Alfredsson said that every indication from Karlsson is that he wants to stay but it's not up to him

I think it’s one of those things where he wants to be paid what he feels he’s worth, so does he want to stay? Yeah, if they show him the money, but if their offer is not in the same universe he’s thinking of, he’ll likely want to go to a team that will pay him what he wants.

Let’s say he wants 8 years 12 million, and Ottawa offers him 8 years 9 million. Well then he’s gone.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
White is NHL ready though and was a first round pick.

Why trade him and a first round pick for a player who won't make the NHL for two years when we need to get younger and faster?

NHL ready to do what exactly? We aren't competing now anyways so if we have a chance to move up to the 10 spot to get a superior prospect, I do it every time.

GoSenatorsGo

Nov 9, 2007
Good to see Karlsson wants to stay. Hope Melnyk gets this done.
I honestly believe Karlsson will be resigned this summer. I think Melnyk, after seeing the melnykout and the town hall meetings, realizes this is top priority. You need to do what’s best for business, he is a businessman, he’ll pony up.

Reactions: Sensinitis

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I also think they will bring him back. I do not think they have much of a plan for everyone else.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I also think they will bring him back. I do not think they have much of a plan for everyone else.

I think the Senators will sign Karlsson to an 8 year contract, heavy with guaranteed money, and at least $10M per year. That should be enough given that his wife is from Ottawa and probably wants to stay here near family and friends. He could possibly earn more elsewhere but there are other factors that are important to families. You could call it a home town discount.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think it’s one of those things where he wants to be paid what he feels he’s worth, so does he want to stay? Yeah, if they show him the money, but if their offer is not in the same universe he’s thinking of, he’ll likely want to go to a team that will pay him what he wants.

Let’s say he wants 8 years 12 million, and Ottawa offers him 8 years 9 million. Well then he’s gone.

ya 8*12. he strikes me as a reasonably smart guy. he knows this will never be a big payroll team, the market reality and the ownership reality make that so. all reports suggest he wants to stay and if that's what he wants then he knows it won't happen at 12. he likely knows better than all of us that he is going to have to take less to stay. probably 1.5 to 2.5 less than a full open market deal. he also probably knows he can by on the 120M or so in career earnings as opposed to needing 140.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

A lot of us have been saying exactly that for a while.

Karlsson wants to be the man, it's in his blood. This is his team, this is where he wants to be.

But people don't always get what they want.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'm starting to lean that way, as well.

Really, if we're not going to be a cap team, what's the point of keeping these guys? If we're going to rebuild, then rebuild. Don't half-ass it just to stay in no-mans land.

Rebuilding is fine but you still need to keep good players if you want fans in the arena, this is not Toronto or Montreal where people go to games no matter what. Not only that, but you need players like Karlsson and Stone to lead the way, take pressure off of the kids and most importantly help young players learn the pro game.

If we trade those guys, it'll surely affect the team in more ways than one. When you do a rebuild, you need a structure to build from. By trading these guys we're in deep shit IMO.

Stone just turned 26, he's not an old player at all and when the young guys will be ready to make their mark in 2-3-4 years, Stone will still be 28-30 which is totally fine.

Who's going to lead this team if all those 3 leave? Pageau? I mean to me it's unacceptable to leave a guy like Chabot in the wild like that without someone else to do the heavy lifting, same applies for Brown, Batherson, Formenton, this years pick, Chlapik, White and etc.

Just assembling a roster of prospects/young players has never proven to be a succesful strategy, there's more to rebuilding than having a bunch of kids. There's certainly "a point" in keeping those guys even if it's for a rebuild. In fact I'd argue it's just as important to keep them.

Trade Hoffman if you need to, trade Pageau, trade Smith for garbage, trade Ceci, trade Anderson but trading any of the 3 you mentionned is counter-productive IMO just because it leaves a roster with no solid pieces whatsoever, no experience, no direction. Recipe for failure 101.

Also something that's I feel a lot of people are omitting is the fact that having high salary players is not a problem. The problem is having high salary players that do not perform. If in a couple years we need to re-sign 4-5 prospects and then need to trade a player like Stone or Karlsson or Duchene - then so be it. These are players that can drive offense on their own and that make their linemates better. Even if they have big contracts, teams will still be lining up to acquire them. When you have players like that you sign them no matter what and when the time comes where you need to make a move because of cap/salary complications, then you do that. These are not the type of players you trade at any point unless they ask to be traded or unless you have young players that are ready to replace them.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Rebuilding is fine but you still need to keep good players if you want fans in the arena, this is not Toronto or Montreal where people go to games no matter what. Not only that, but you need players like Karlsson and Stone to lead the way, take pressure off of the kids and most importantly help young players learn the pro game.

If we trade those guys, it'll surely affect the team in more ways than one. When you do a rebuild, you need a structure to build from. By trading these guys we're in deep **** IMO.

Stone just turned 26, he's not an old player at all and when the young guys will be ready to make their mark in 2-3-4 years, Stone will still be 28-30 which is totally fine.

Who's going to lead this team if all those 3 leave? Pageau? I mean to me it's unacceptable to leave a guy like Chabot in the wild like that without someone else to do the heavy lifting, same applies for Brown, Batherson, Formenton, this years pick, Chlapik, White and etc.

Just assembling a roster of prospects/young players has never proven to be a succesful strategy, there's more to rebuilding than having a bunch of kids. There's certainly "a point" in keeping those guys even if it's for a rebuild. In fact I'd argue it's just as important to keep them.

Trade Hoffman if you need to, trade Pageau, trade Smith for garbage, trade Ceci, trade Anderson but trading any of the 3 you mentionned is counter-productive IMO just because it leaves a roster with no solid pieces whatsoever, no experience, no direction. Recipe for failure 101.

Also something that's I feel a lot of people are omitting is the fact that having high salary players is not a problem. The problem is having high salary players that do not perform. If in a couple years we need to re-sign 4-5 prospects and then need to trade a player like Stone or Karlsson or Duchene - then so be it. These are players that can drive offense on their own and that make their linemates better. Even if they have big contracts, teams will still be lining up to acquire them. When you have players like that you sign them no matter what and when the time comes where you need to make a move because of cap/salary complications, then you do that. These are not the type of players you trade at any point unless they ask to be traded or unless you have young players that are ready to replace them.

Keeping Stone and Duchene while moving Karlsson will only keep us out of the top 5 picks. No man's zone, where the odds of getting a real impact kid are low, and all you're doing is watching your star players get older with no hope of competing.

Keep all 3, or move all 3.

Reactions: NB613

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Keeping Stone and Duchene while moving Karlsson will only keep us out of the top 5 picks. No man's zone, where the odds of getting a real impact kid are low, and all you're doing is watching your star players get older with no hope of competing.

Keep all 3, or move all 3.

Moving all 3 is not an option with Colorado holding our 2019 pick.

Reactions: branch

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Moving all 3 is not an option with Colorado holding our 2019 pick.

I swear people seem to forget this...I hear a lot of the "If Karlsson is moved, trade everyone else away and start over". You can't. That would literally be handing Colorado the 1st overall pick. If anything you have to hold on to those guys through out 2018-2019, then move them.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Hoffman + Ceci

for

Russel (for salary reasons, or Sekera) + 10th overall + Yamamoto

We would save approx 4-5 mil with this deal given Ceci is due for a raise and we could draft 1 of Zadina, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom or Kotkaniemi at 4th and then 1 of Dobson/Hughes/Bouchard/Boqvist falls to 10th.

We save money, use that to resign Karlsson, Duchene and Stone (and Dzingel) and get 2 blue chip prospects to add to our pool + 22nd overall. Sign Calvin De Haan for 4 years 4.5 mil per and there's your "rebuild/retool".

Last edited:
Reactions: TkachukNorris79

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I swear people seem to forget this...I hear a lot of the "If Karlsson is moved, trade everyone else away and start over". You can't. That would literally be handing Colorado the 1st overall pick. If anything you have to hold on to those guys through out 2018-2019, then move them.

That probably can't be done with Duchene and Karlsson since they will both be on the final year of their contracts. There probably won't be a realistic situation where we can extend both, and then turn around and trade them in the first year of their next deal. Maybe it could be done with Duchene if he only gets a modified no trade clause, but I think Duchene has the leverage to bargain for a full NMC even if it has been team policy to avoid giving them out.

The only player OTT can do that with is Stone. Because as an RFA, he is not allowed trade protection until his RFA years are over. So if Stone were to sign an 8 year deal with us that contained trade protection, it would not be allowed to kick in until July 1st 2019. That's what happened with Subban and MTL. They dealt him right before his NMC was set to kick in.

I'm not saying I do or don't think a full scale rebuild is the right move, but if it's the right move, we can't let not having our 1st get in the way of doing what is best for the team long term. It just doesn't make sense to me. If we decide trading those three players rather than re-signing them long term sets us up to have the best chances of winning down the line, avoiding it just because we'll look bad for having traded the pick would be terrible. Keeping them and doing what we've evaluated as the less effective move doesn't get us the pick back, it just sets us back even further.

With all that said, getting that pick back would be the best thing for this team. With EDM picking 10, and Chiarelli without a doubt getting into desperation mode, the dream scenario would be us trading Chiarelli Ceci or Hoffman for 10, and 10 being high enough to convince COL to take. They don't have to take anything other than our original pick (4th), so COL would be effectively trading OTT 2019 1st for 10.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
ya 8*12. he strikes me as a reasonably smart guy. he knows this will never be a big payroll team, the market reality and the ownership reality make that so. all reports suggest he wants to stay and if that's what he wants then he knows it won't happen at 12. he likely knows better than all of us that he is going to have to take less to stay. probably 1.5 to 2.5 less than a full open market deal. he also probably knows he can by on the 120M or so in career earnings as opposed to needing 140.

Would you take a 20% hair cut to stay in Ottawa? Seriously? Ask yourself that question. The organization is in shambles and the owner is a cheap SOB then you want him to take a discount. On top of the weather being brutal, taxes in the top of the league, the team sucks and you're constantly in the spotlight with very privacy.

People need to start looking at this situation realistically.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
That probably can't be done with Duchene and Karlsson since they will both be on the final year of their contracts. There probably won't be a realistic situation where we can extend both, and then turn around and trade them in the first year of their next deal. Maybe it could be done with Duchene if he only gets a modified no trade clause, but I think Duchene has the leverage to bargain for a full NMC even if it has been team policy to avoid giving them out.

The only player OTT can do that with is Stone. Because as an RFA, he is not allowed trade protection until his RFA years are over. So if Stone were to sign an 8 year deal with us that contained trade protection, it would not be allowed to kick in until July 1st 2019. That's what happened with Subban and MTL. They dealt him right before his NMC was set to kick in.

I'm not saying I do or don't think a full scale rebuild is the right move, but if it's the right move, we can't let not having our 1st get in the way of doing what is best for the team long term. It just doesn't make sense to me. If we decide trading those three players rather than re-signing them long term sets us up to have the best chances of winning down the line, avoiding it just because we'll look bad for having traded the pick would be terrible. Keeping them and doing what we've evaluated as the less effective move doesn't get us the pick back, it just sets us back even further.

With all that said, getting that pick back would be the best thing for this team. With EDM picking 10, and Chiarelli without a doubt getting into desperation mode, the dream scenario would be us trading Chiarelli Ceci or Hoffman for 10, and 10 being high enough to convince COL to take. They don't have to take anything other than our original pick (4th), so COL would be effectively trading OTT 2019 1st for 10.
Sigh...Pierre, what have you done

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Would you take a 20% hair cut to stay in Ottawa? Seriously? Ask yourself that question. The organization is in shambles and the owner is a cheap SOB then you want him to take a discount. On top of the weather being brutal, taxes in the top of the league, the team sucks and you're constantly in the spotlight with very privacy.

People need to start looking at this situation realistically.

The only real hope the Senators have is that leaving Ottawa is a non-starter for Karlsson's wife/family.

I just can't see why else he stays if we aren't going to pay him market value. I can't see us paying him market value. Here we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot