Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Would have to be a heck of a package. Skjei, Kreider, Anderson, 1st. Which they likely wont do so I am not sure how that even happens. They dont have the high end assets and wont want to gut the organization.

They have the financial muscle to buyout a guy like Smith and then add Ryan to the deal (which we all know will lower the return). And Gorton clearly owns some compromising pictures of Dorion, so that should lower the return as well.

Honestly, if Karlsson is moving, Skjei is one of the pieces I would want to target though. Not sure what the D is going to look like next year, but with Chabot and Skjei you can at least argue they have 2 of the top-four spots locked up.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We should try to sign Enzo Corvi and draft Martin Fehervary with one of our late picks.

Good idea! However Suter who was in the sens camp is a better player than Corvi right now and is younger. He was just hurt for the WC or he would have been first line center.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Would have to be a heck of a package. Skjei, Kreider, Anderson, 1st. Which they likely wont do so I am not sure how that even happens. They dont have the high end assets and wont want to gut the organization.

They are loaded with assets quantity wise, but don't have that one big young player or blue chip asset that most Sens fans want. They have four first rounders and three second rounders in the next two drafts alone.

I think it's a similar situation to Vegas, where they'd have to take Ryan to give us the value we need, and they probably could make that work.

Something like...

Ryan+Karlsson

for

Skjei
(Andersson or Chytil)
9th overall
26th overall
2019 Conditional 1st (We get it if Karl re-signs/Unprotected)
Brendan Smith (cap dump)

While that's not a package most would be happy with, that tops the rumoured Vegas offer at the deadline (up to 3 *most likely late 1sts+top prospect). The Rangers would still have a late 1st this season, three seconds, two thirds, and then two seconds next season. So while they give up three first rounders, the still will have a lot of draft picks left in their organization.

If we make that offer, we then could hopefully trade 9th overall to COL for our 2019 1st. COL only does that if they really like someone on the board at 9 and want cost certainty because without Karlsson, we're gonna stink in 2019 and there's a more than likely chance that 2019 OTT pick will be close to or better than 9th overall.

We take back Brendan Smith (1.266M buyout/4.35M cap) to offset some of the cost of the Rangers taking Ryan. The Rangers add about 3M in cap per season for three seasons and 7.25M in cap for one season while we lose Ryan's 7.5M x 4 salary obligation but are then on the hook for 1.266M x 6 with Brendan Smith's buyout. We could wait a season or two to buy him out if we aren't pushing the max of our budget.

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
Kreider
Howden
Gropp
BOS 1st 2018

Is my offer for one year of Karlsson if I'm the Rangers. Similar to McDonagh package. If the Sens pass, I'm reasonably confident I can lure Karlsson to New York in free agency.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Kreider
Howden
Gropp
BOS 1st 2018

Is my offer for one year of Karlsson if I'm the Rangers. Similar to McDonagh package. If the Sens pass, I'm reasonably confident I can lure Karlsson to New York in free agency.

There's zero chance that package gets Karlsson. I'll be astonished if another team doesn't top that, in fact Vegas already has topped that if their deadline offer of two 1sts, an additional conditional pick (a 1st?), a top prospect, and VGK taking Ryan is accurate.

I don't think the Senators would be interested in Kreider who will be a UFA in two years exactly when they intend to be competing.

Saying for "one year of Karlsson" also doesn't make sense when assessing his value. The only way it makes sense is if Karlsson straight up says he'll sign with no team until July 1st 2019. Otherwise, even if Karlsson won't sign with the Rangers (which would surprise me), if they want "one year" of him, they have to offer something in line with what teams where Karlsson will sign with will offer. The teams he will sign with will drive up the bid because they'll be willing to pay more.

If I'm the Rangers (or any cap team), and I can get Erik Karlsson with a 7 year extension by giving up 4-5 good pieces and taking Ryan, I do that in a second for the same reason why if I am the Senators, and we didn't have this budget BS, I would never in a million years entertain the idea of trading a 27 year old Erik Karlsson (assuming he'd re-sign).

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
There's zero chance that package gets Karlsson. I'll be astonished if another team doesn't top that, in fact Vegas already has topped that if their deadline offer of two 1sts, an additional conditional pick (a 1st?), a top prospect, and VGK taking Ryan is accurate.

I don't think the Senators would be interested in Kreider who will be a UFA in two years exactly when they intend to be competing.

Saying for "one year of Karlsson" also doesn't make sense when assessing his value. The only way it makes sense is if Karlsson straight up says he'll sign with no team until July 1st 2019. Otherwise, even if Karlsson won't sign with the Rangers (which would surprise me), if they want "one year" of him, they have to offer something in line with what teams where Karlsson will sign with will offer. The teams he will sign with will drive up the bid because they'll be willing to pay more.

If I'm the Rangers (or any cap team), and I can get Erik Karlsson with a 7 year extension by giving up 4-5 good pieces and taking Ryan, I do that in a second for the same reason why if I am the Senators, and we didn't have this budget BS, I would never in a million years entertain the idea of trading a 27 year old Erik Karlsson (assuming he'd re-sign).

Then, if I'm the Rangers, I say fair enough, keep all my good young assets (having already informed our fanbase that we're rebuilding), and take my chances in free agency, where I know I can outbid every team and give Karlsson the chance to play in the greatest city in the world.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Then, if I'm the Rangers, I say fair enough, keep all my good young assets (having already informed our fanbase that we're rebuilding), and take my chances in free agency, where I know I can outbid every team and give Karlsson the chance to play in the greatest city in the world.
If Ottawa's hell-bent on trading him, as New York's GM, what makes you believe he'll be available in free agency?

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Yeah I'm sure luring Karlsson to a rebuilding team sounds like fun to him.... Plus Ottawa will trade him at next years deadline if he indicates that he is absolutely committed to testing the UFA market in 2019.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Kreider
Howden
Gropp
BOS 1st 2018

I am pretty sure they are the top of his list, if he goes there he is getting extended so the sens will get a good package.

I agree that the basis has to be Skjei and one of Andersson or Chytil then alot of + + +.

Id want Kreider in there somehow but it might prove to be difficult but would help balance the salary.

If they can simply get Skjei, Kreider and Andersson/Chytil plus a first in 2019 I would be extremly happy.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Yeah I'm sure luring Karlsson to a rebuilding team sounds like fun to him.... Plus Ottawa will trade him at next years deadline if he indicates that he is absolutely committed to testing the UFA market in 2019.

When the Rangers add Kovalchuk and Karlsson, the rebuild is effectively over. Heck, they could probably add Tavares too and compete for the cup immediately. Meanwhile in Ottawa, 3-5 years before we are competitive again.

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
If Ottawa's hell-bent on trading him, as New York's GM, what makes you believe he'll be available in free agency?

I don't know for sure if he'll make it to free agency, but ultimately there are only three scenarios that make sense for my rebuilding team:

1. I get Karlsson for free (keep all my young core assets, continue rebuild)
2. I get Karlsson for lower than market value (keep all my young core assets, continue rebuild)
3. I don't get Karlsson (keep all my young core assets, continue rebuild)

Core assets:
Zibanejad
Buchnevich
Skjei
9th overall
Chytil
Andersson
Shestyorkin
Any future Rangers 1st

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Of course he can improve. I just don't see the skill to be anything more than a 3rd liner. If we could package White and 22 and move up to say #10, you take that and run.

Sure, but that likely doesn’t get you number ten.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I don't know for sure if he'll make it to free agency, but ultimately there are only three scenarios that make sense for my rebuilding team:

1. I get Karlsson for free (keep all my young core assets, continue rebuild)
2. I get Karlsson for lower than market value (keep all my young core assets, continue rebuild)
3. I don't get Karlsson (keep all my young core assets, continue rebuild)

Core assets:
Zibanejad
Buchnevich
Skjei
9th overall
Chytil
Andersson
Shestyorkin
Any future Rangers 1st

People say this all the time when a player is nearing their contract. "Why should my team trade their assets for x, they'll just sign him for free". The thing is, the odds of Karlsson hitting July 1st 2019 are incredibly low. It's why Tavares hitting free agency (if he does, there's still time) would be such a big deal.

Maybe we just have a difference in opinion on how good Karlsson is, or a difference in philosophy, but I think a 27 year old Karlsson under team control for the rest of his prime is tremendously more valuable to a rebuild than 1 or 2 great young pieces, and then a ton of dime a dozen prospects.

Skjei is a solid young mid pairing D, but he's not a superstar, and it's more likely than not that he doesn't become a superstar.

Andersson is a fantastic prospect any team would be lucky to have, but he's not an absolute top level blue chip type. He's like a second tier guy.

Those are really the only two main pieces that hurt the Rangers.

If the Rangers acquire Karlsson, they could then go on to liquidate guys like Kreider and Zucc' to acquire more 1st round picks/prospects in order to replenish what they gave up in the Karlsson deal. They should have enough cap to go after a big fish in free agency whether it is Tavares or Kovalchuk. Are they guaranteed to get one of those two? Maybe not. But having Karlsson would be a huge draw.

Whenever the topic of a rebuilding team acquiring Karlsson comes up, it seems like posters think within the confines of a predefined box of what a rebuild is supposed to be. "Karlsson isn't 19, therefore giving up picks/prospects for him=bad". The way I see it, you want to acquire the most effective pieces possible for the best prices possible in order to build a winner. Both when judged by his acquisition cost in a trade, and the cost of his extension (11-12 million most likely) Karlsson will still be one of the most effective players relative to his total cost in the entire league. It just so happens that the Senators can't do shit with him because Melnyk's budget if it is going to continue at 68Mish is restrictive that Karlsson/Duchene/Ryan/Stone at 35+ million will be extremely difficult to build around.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Rangers won't be rebuilding for long. Their roster in 2019/20 could look something like:

Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Namestnikov - Hayes - Zuccarello
Andersson - Chytil - Spooner
Vesey - Howden - Fast

Skjei - Karlsson
Staal - Shattenkirk
Smith - Pionk/DeAngelo

Lundqvist/Shestyorkin

That team could absolutely challenge for the playoffs. Especially if they attracted another good UFA or two, as I think they'd have the cap space to do so.

Plus their future is really bright with all that young talent + 3 1sts in 2018 and maybe 2 1sts in 2019.

If I were Karlsson I'd jump at the opportunity to sign in NYR.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Rangers won't be rebuilding for long. Their roster in 2019/20 could look something like:

Vesey - Howden - Fast

Skjei - Karlsson
Staal - Shattenkirk
Smith - Pionk/DeAngelo

Lundqvist/Shestyorkin

That team could absolutely challenge for the playoffs. Especially if they attracted another good UFA or two, as I think they'd have the cap space to do so.

Plus their future is really bright with all that young talent + 3 1sts in 2018 and maybe 2 1sts in 2019.

dont forgget kovalchuk

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

Vesey - Howden - Fast

Skjei - Karlsson
Staal - Shattenkirk
Smith - Pionk/DeAngelo

Lundqvist/Shestyorkin

Remove one of

Andersson / Chytil
and
Skjei

from that roster as a starting point for Karlsson.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Remove one of

Andersson / Chytil
and
Skjei

from that roster as a starting point for Karlsson.

The roster was if the Rangers signed Karlsson as a UFA in a year.

Don't know if the Rangers would be all that interested in trading a lot of their youth to acquire Karlsson now versus trying to poach him as a UFA at a cost of zero assets.

If they were interested in trading for him, the return I'd expect would be something like:

Andersson/Howden
DeAngelo
TBL/BOS 2018 1st
+ another good asset

Or

Spooner
DeAngelo
9th OVR
+ another good asset

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah, let’s just give up on a 21 year old with one pro year of hockey under his belt. It’s not like he can improve, right?

It’s not totally daft! :)

If White plus pick #22 could move the Senators up to pick say 10, 11, or 12, the Sens might be able to get a better prospect that they covet highly.

Reactions: Daffy

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It’s not totally daft! :)

If White plus pick #22 could move the Senators up to pick say 10, 11, or 12, the Sens might be able to get a better prospect that they covet highly.

White is NHL ready though and was a first round pick.

Why trade him and a first round pick for a player who won't make the NHL for two years when we need to get younger and faster?

Reactions: bert
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad