Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals - 13/14 - XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berserker*

Murray should actually seriously consider going after both Ruutu and Ott. They both fit MacLean's system, neither should be overly expensive and they fill a need for our team.

Those two would be great for a playoff run.

Berserker*

I like Ruutu but do we want to add a 5mil salary for the next 3 years?

It depends whether our pro scouting staff is confident enough that he is going to rebound. If he regains form then he will be worth the contract.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Murray should actually seriously consider going after both Ruutu and Ott. They both fit MacLean's system, neither should be overly expensive and they fill a need for our team.

Those two would be great for a playoff run.

Why? Neither have ever been productive in the playoffs before. They've combined for 9 points in 50 playoff games.

delchief

Jun 10, 2006
I like Ruutu but do we want to add a 5mil salary for the next 3 years?

We do not. A budget team paying that kind of coin for a bottom 6 player? And that's what Ruutu is at this point. You can't gamble on a rebound with that kind of money. If this team is going to continue to cry poor then I want every dollar spent wisely.

Ott is a nice option because of his pending free-agency. Abrasive player who has some skills with the puck and wouldn't look out of place on a 2nd line and certainly not on a 3rd line.

If the team wants to wait and see this year but still wants to make a run at the playoffs then Ott would be a good pick up. Not sure what it would take to acquire him. Would Tim Murray want Colin Greening and that upcoming contract? Conacher? DaCosta? Our lone 2nd round pick?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
even a team that spends to the cap wouldnt take Ruutu unless they had an equally ineffective player with the same cap to give back

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
To Col: Cowen + Greening
To Ott: O'Reilly

To Fla: Puempel + Conacher + Corvo
To Ott: Campbell

--------------------------------

Mac - Turris - Ryan
ROR - Spezza - Stone
Michalek - Zibby - Condra
Hoffman - Smith - Neil
(Kassian)

Methot - Karlsson
Campbell - Gryba
Phillips - Ceci
(Wiercioch)

Andy/Lehner
Id probably give silfverberg,noesen and a 1st for oreilly. If you know what I'm saying.

Berserker*

even a team that spends to the cap wouldnt take Ruutu unless they had an equally ineffective player with the same cap to give back

That is why I proposed trading Michalek for him. Also I think you may be vastly underrating Tuomo Ruutu here. He was pretty effective against team Canada today. He had a goal and wrecked Crosby with a hit.

Overall he fits our system well and chances are we would already have a good assessment of his character as his brother Jarkko played for the Sens and Mikko is currently a scout for the Sens.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
That is why I proposed trading Michalek for him. Also I think you may be vastly underrating Tuomo Ruutu here. He was pretty effective against team Canada today. He had a goal and wrecked Crosby with a hit.

Overall he fits our system well and chances are we would already have a good assessment of his character as his brother Jarkko played for the Sens and Mikko is currently a scout for the Sens.

Well, I'm happy he had a good game against Canada, but that doesn't mean we should trade for him. He has 5 goals in 52 games for Carolina this season and makes a lot of money. I think we can do better.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

Michalek is a Ufa while ruutu isn't

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Jesus.

Considering how hard this fanbase is on some of our own guys, Ruutu wouldn't stand a chance here. He's a nice player but he's:

1) overpaid
2) injury-prone
3) not a "complete player"

... I mean, that's the trifecta of "how to draw heat from Senators Fans" right there. Fans here would run him out of town faster than the Brits ran out Lady Jane Grey.

I think he'd be a good addition for us if we could get the 'Canes to eat a bit of salary, but I almost don't want him here just because he'd immediately become one of the biggest whipping boys on this team.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'd rather just keep all the guys we have this year. Re-evaluate in the off-season. Everything's just a bit too off this year with the condensed schedule, Olympics and having our top guys recovering from injury in the first half of the season.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
good guy bonktastic, provides source for unknown reference

In all fairness, it's a really obscure reference.

Looking at Ruutu's contract vs. production though... if it weren't the Hurricanes we are talking about here, he'd be a guy who was on the short list for possible compliance buyouts this summer. Not saying it'd be a lock that he got bought out, but it wouldn't surprise me if he were. Carolina isn't hurting too bad financially these days, but they don't have MapleLeafsMoney(TM) available to them to buy out guys like Ruutu: overpaid to the point where the contract hurts your cap space for what you get in return, but still a decent 3rd line guy who can still contribute, and just happens to make double what a comparable player makes on average.

Like I said: if Car-O-Lahnuh wants to eat some of that salary, to the tune of like $2mil, it makes sense for us... but IF they were going to eat the salary, they would just buy him out to get his cap hit off their books entirely, so it really doesn't make sense to envision any realistic scenario in which he's traded to us, barring a moment of incredible lapse of judgement either on the part of Jim Rutherford or Bryan Murray.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Ruutu is on pace for Greeening type of numbers this year. People are freaking on him and his 2.5 mill salary that doesn't start til next year.

Ruutu at 5 million, not a chance and for 3 years. Spend a little more wisely.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Jesus.

Considering how hard this fanbase is on some of our own guys, Ruutu wouldn't stand a chance here. He's a nice player but he's:

1) overpaid
2) injury-prone
3) not a "complete player"

... I mean, that's the trifecta of "how to draw heat from Senators Fans" right there. Fans here would run him out of town faster than the Brits ran out Lady Jane Grey.

I think he'd be a good addition for us if we could get the 'Canes to eat a bit of salary, but I almost don't want him here just because he'd immediately become one of the biggest whipping boys on this team.

I see that now that you are no longer a mod you have the time to watch pirated copies of the Tudors that you picked up in the market.

Berserker*

Both Doug MacLean and Nik Kypreos said last night that they don't see a market for Ruutu at the deadline. They both felt that he could be a valuable addition for any team going on a playoff run, but that contract is simply to big for any teams to be interested.

But like BonkTastic said, if Carolina is willing to retain about 40% of his salary, then he could be a good trade target.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Both Doug MacLean and Nik Kypreos said last night that they don't see a market for Ruutu at the deadline. They both felt that he could be a valuable addition for any team going on a playoff run, but that contract is simply to big for any teams to be interested.

But like BonkTastic said, if Carolina is willing to retain about 40% of his salary, then he could be a good trade target.

That contract really is the problem. We've seen it a million times. Ruutu is fine as a player, but way too much term and dollars to gamble that he gets back to form.

Othello*

Get Setoguchi for a 3rd and our team becomes instantly better.
MacArther Turris Ryan
Michalek Spezza Stone
Conacher Zibanajad Setoguchi
Greening Smith Condra

You have 4 lines that can produce

sens613

Apr 12, 2012
MacArther Turris Ryan
Michalek Spezza Stone
Greening Smith Condra

Looks good but we would probably be out bit if we offered a third. Would love setoguchi with zibanejad and conacher though.

BigBush*

MacArther Turris Ryan
Michalek Spezza Stone
Greening Smith Condra

And no lines that can hit. Never scratch Neil

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I really think this whole board may be singing a different tune when/if Hoffman gets called up and starts playing very well.

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Spezza-Stone
Michalek-Zibanejad-Conacher
Neil-Smith-Condra/Greening

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I really think this whole board may be singing a different tune when/if Hoffman gets called up and starts playing very well.

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Spezza-Stone
Michalek-Zibanejad-Conacher
Neil-Smith-Condra/Greening

How I wish that would com true.

BTW, I don't get the fascination with Ott. He's a nice bottom sixer, but not something we need.

Ruutu would be a mistake. You don't take a 15 mil gamble. Even at half the salary it would be hard for the guy to live up to the couple of seasons he had a while ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad