Rumor: Trade Rumor Thread V: "Trade 40 Goal Scorer NBD" (3/8: Getzlaf re-signs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
When the compensation is only a first and a third, I think it's highly likely that Colorado match it. If so he can be treaded this off season, right?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
When the compensation is only a first and a third, I think it's highly likely that Colorado match it. If so he can be treaded this off season, right?
I think it's a year with the signing of the contract.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
if they match then he has to be with them for 365 days , then they can deal him but at that point he makes most of his money

isnt 2 yr mean this yr and next , man Avs got screeeeeeeeeeeeewed

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
Alright. If that's the case they might as well let him go already or the will probably have this saga again when this contract expires if he really wants to move from Colorado.

Though situation however.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
that QO at the end of next seasons going to be STEEP, Oreilly's gona get his money but i think he screwed himself, the avs are bad but their very much missing him, i think calgarys an even worse situation, teams getting old and likely might start to sell off players around him, hope hes ready to stick around for a retool/rebuild

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
the structure reminds of when the Rangers tried to sign Joe Sakic.........6.5 million next yr? holy crap!

they kinda have to walk away no?

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
I don't understand the phrase in the thread title... What does 'Trade 40 Goal Scorer NBD' imply???

TheRedViper

Dec 12, 2008
Niagara
I don't get this move from Calgary's perspective. That team has needed to rebuild for the last 5 years. This is like when Toronto gave up picks for Kessel. Opposite direction the team should be taking

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
I am curious how this plays out.
I was expecting this from a contender with a late first rd pick.
If the flames get a top 5 pick and RoR is not ready to play for few weeks, is it really worth it to them? They essentially got him for less than a year and a half.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't get this move from Calgary's perspective. That team has needed to rebuild for the last 5 years. This is like when Toronto gave up picks for Kessel. Opposite direction the team should be taking

1.) O'Reilly is only 22 (and just turned that).
2.) O'Reilly > 1st round pick
3.) 1st, 3rd =/= 1st, 1st, 2nd
4.) If the Flames really want to rebuild, they can get a first round pick back by trading Iginla at the deadline.

TheRedViper

Dec 12, 2008
Niagara
1.) O'Reilly is only 22 (and just turned that).
2.) O'Reilly > 1st round pick
3.) 1st, 3rd =/= 1st, 1st, 2nd
4.) If the Flames really want to rebuild, they can get a first round pick back by trading Iginla at the deadline.

Calgary is going to have a really high 1st. I get the the age of O'Reilly, and that he's more proven blah blah blah. It still fits the same mentality that Calgary has had towards constructing a roster, they're always going for it. They haven't accepted, as an organization, that they need to blow things up.

Same arguments could've been made for Kessel, young, proven, >> draft picks. But it was the wrong time to make that move.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Calgary is going to have a really high 1st. I get the the age of O'Reilly, and that he's more proven blah blah blah. It still fits the same mentality that Calgary has had towards constructing a roster, they're always going for it. They haven't accepted, as an organization, that they need to blow things up.

Same arguments could've been made for Kessel, young, proven, >> draft picks. But it was the wrong time to make that move.

How high is really high? Right now they'd have the 7th. They're sitting at .500 and their goalie has been hurt for weeks. Add in Kiprusoff and O'Reilly and that team is going to compete for, but probably miss, a playoff spot. Every year they end up around the same place in the standings, which normally gets you an 8-15, though they seem to trade out of those spots. I think they'll end up 11-15 this year.

Trading for a 22 year old isn't "going for it." The problem with the Kessel deal wasn't the timing, it was the cost.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
If I'm the Avs, I let him walk. 1st, 3rd and not having that cap hit next season coupled with the fact that ROR basically screwed them (and I wouldn't want him around) for a team that's not doing anything this year anyway. They guy has had one decent year (18G/37A/55P) that's roughly equal to Stepan's best. Pass @ 5 million cap hit for a 22 year old.

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
Colorado Avalanche ‏@Avalanche

BREAKING: @Avalanche announced tonight that the team has matched the Calgary Flames’ offer sheet for forward Ryan O’Reilly. More to follow..

TheRedViper

Dec 12, 2008
Niagara
How high is really high? Right now they'd have the 7th. They're sitting at .500 and their goalie has been hurt for weeks. Add in Kiprusoff and O'Reilly and that team is going to compete for, but probably miss, a playoff spot. Every year they end up around the same place in the standings, which normally gets you an 8-15, though they seem to trade out of those spots. I think they'll end up 11-15 this year.

Trading for a 22 year old isn't "going for it." The problem with the Kessel deal wasn't the timing, it was the cost.

If the leafs had made the playoffs with KEssel, than it wouldn't have been a bad trade. But where they were as an organization made it a bad trade. Kessel wasn't an over the top move, and you don't move picks when you're rebuilding.

and I think it's the same deal with the Flames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad