Rumor: Trade Rumor Thread V: "Trade 40 Goal Scorer NBD" (3/8: Getzlaf re-signs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Ryan O'Reilly update

But even as so many of the Rangers’ issues have been centered in the middle, and with no help from the outside readily available — no developments at all on the Ryan O’Reilly front, in other words — the fact is Derek Stepan has emerged as one of the disappointing team’s brightest spots in assuming the role as first-line pivot.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/he_stepan_up_taQvdlnNuX8gbFKqZTAqjN

Newport Sports is meeting with Sather today to discuss Zuccarello. Newport also has O'Reilly. Lundqvist and Girardi too. The Rangers could be laying the groundwork for Lundqvist and Girardi. They can't re-sign until July 1.

The Avs want to hit a home run.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Ryan O'Reilly update

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/he_stepan_up_taQvdlnNuX8gbFKqZTAqjN

Newport Sports is meeting with Sather today to discuss Zuccarello. Newport also has O'Reilly. Lundqvist and Girardi too. The Rangers could be laying the groundwork for Lundqvist and Girardi. They can't re-sign until July 1.

So did Howson and all he hit was the unemployment line.

Honestly I am open to anything that isn't ridiculous at this point. Bring back Zucc, move some deadweight, fill in the gaps. Let's see it Glen. Give me something to look forward to on Rangers gamenight besides an HFBoards GDT. :cry:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It's highly possible that the Rangers see getting Nash, MDZ and McD back in the lineup as the "shot in the arm" that they might otherwise look for via trade. However, if that doesn't do the trick and the team continues to sink, I expect a shakeup won't be too far behind. Hopefully it's another Rupp/Powe kind of deal, and not another Korpedo/Lisin move.

Avs are stubborn. They'll wait it out into the summer if they don't get a deal they like. Can't remember the last time that worked for a team though.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
It's highly possible that the Rangers see getting Nash, MDZ and McD back in the lineup as the "shot in the arm" that they might otherwise look for via trade. However, if that doesn't do the trick and the team continues to sink, I expect a shakeup won't be too far behind. Hopefully it's another Rupp/Powe kind of deal, and not another Korpedo/Lisin move.

Avs are stubborn. They'll wait it out into the summer if they don't get a deal they like. Can't remember the last time that worked for a team though.

Agreed. This has to be the case.

The team looked to actually be turning a corner before Nash went down.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Messier was a charity event last night. He said the Rangers record isn't bad considering the number of injuries they have had. Leetch was also at the event. He said the Rangers still have 2/3 of the season to get going. It was an ESPN NY story. I heard Eddie Olczyk with Francesa on Tuesday. He said the Rangers need another center and D. Francesa also had on Micheletti on Tuesday. Joe said Slats will look to make a move which doesn't include moving core pieces. He made the point about the Rangers lacking the guy to QB the PP. Richards is supposed to be that guy. Richy is asking Vinny and Marty for advice. What is he doing wrong? They know him better than anyone. Eddie said the Rangers are the 13 version of LA if they can add another center and D. He ackowledged its not easy to acquire those players but that's what they need. I heard Kyper discussing the Rangers yesterday. He said Torts need to stop pushing so hard. He needs to lay off a bit and stop cracking the whip.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Richards is supposed to be that guy. Richy is asking Vinny and Marty for advice. What is he doing wrong?.

In my opinion, Richards' biggest problem is that hes continuously wandering into parts of the ice with the puck wheres its almost impossible to be effective. His most notorious move of late is transporting the puck across the blue line and then sort of veering towards the boards. How he is supposed to make a play from there?

Gabotrick

Nov 25, 2011
Messier was a charity event last night. He said the Rangers record isn't bad considering the number of injuries they have had. Leetch was also at the event. He said the Rangers still have 2/3 of the season to get going. It was an ESPN NY story. I heard Eddie Olczyk with Francesa on Tuesday. He said the Rangers need another center and D. Francesa also had on Micheletti on Tuesday. Joe said Slats will look to make a move which doesn't include moving core pieces. He made the point about the Rangers lacking the guy to QB the PP. Richards is supposed to be that guy. Richy is asking Vinny and Marty for advice. What is he doing wrong? They know him better than anyone. Eddie said the Rangers are the 13 version of LA if they can add another center and D. He ackowledged its not easy to acquire those players but that's what they need. I heard Kyper discussing the Rangers yesterday. He said Torts need to stop pushing so hard. He needs to lay off a bit and stop cracking the whip.

If were going to be the 2013 La Kings that means we have to trade for another pure goal scorer, like the Kings did with Carter. They traded Jack Johnson and a first for him. Maybe we can acquire someone like that for Del Zotto and some of our 4 3rd round picks. More importantly we really do need someone to become our power play qb.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Seems like the Rangers have needed a C, a D, and a PPQB for years now. It even rhymes. :help:

Watch the Bolts PP. Runs through MSL and always has. Boyle was the mobility along the blue line. Richards is just a center who can play the point. A true QB needs to be mobile. I watched the Flyers game last night. That PP runs through Giroux. The guy doesn't stand still for more than a half a second to take a one-timer.

I agree with Kyper's point though. Tortorella needs to strike a balance between motivation and anger.

SupersonicMonkey*

With Newport Sports in town, lay the ground work for Girardi and Lundqvist extensions.

And do due diligence by discussing Dekeyser, O'Reilly, and Zuccarello.

SupersonicMonkey*

DeKeyser would be tremendous. Thought he has been seriously linked to Detroit though.

Would make sense because he's from Michigan.

Hopefully Sather and Gorton (who undoubtedly will be there, he is being groomed as the next GM) can sell the firm on their plans moving forward.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Dekeyser would be great. I hope the Rangers don't just stop at (1) college d-man this year. They have contract spots available and the forwards are a bit underwhelming.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Yeah, this is what is said, but I doubt it.

I don't think they have had a single decent offer for him. Who would we offer for a pretty unexperienced and unproven player like that who wants quit alot of money? Who would anyone offer?

-With the cap many teams have their hands tied.

-Teams are just not that willing to give up young homegrown, cheap, players of their own.

Toronto and Philly managed to work out the JVR for Schenn trade; Turris was traded for Rundblad; Hodgson for Kassian, and there are maybe a few other recent examples.

Greg Sherman isn't stupid. Nobody would pay that much for ROR. If they are very lucky, they could like get a "Luke Schenn". They may have to settle with a Rundblad, but they could very well only end up with even less on the table -- and at some point you gotta start to think about just giving ROR whatever he wants. While time passes ROR also gets a bigger incentive to just sign something.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
DeKeyser will sign a 2 year ELC. Will be 23 by September 15. His college career will be over before the NHL season ends. Newport will probably demand DeKeyser play a game this season/put on active roster to use up 1 year of the ELC if that's allowed in the new CBA. The NHL had proposed preventing that from happening. No word if the PA agreed but probably not. The trading deadline is April 3. If DeKeyser is on the Rangers reserve list by the 3rd,they could use him in the playoffs. That's how the Rangers were able to use Kreider in the playoffs. The NHL trading deadline is usually late February so a college free agent could not have been eligible for the playoffs unless the NHL/PA agreed to a transition rule to prevent that with the deadline late this season.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Seems like the Rangers have needed a C, a D, and a PPQB for years now. It even rhymes. :help:

Watch the Bolts PP. Runs through MSL and always has. Boyle was the mobility along the blue line. Richards is just a center who can play the point. A true QB needs to be mobile. I watched the Flyers game last night. That PP runs through Giroux. The guy doesn't stand still for more than a half a second to take a one-timer.

I agree with Kyper's point though. Tortorella needs to strike a balance between motivation and anger.

But you can't do it alone. Any PK can easily erase a one man PP.

You need three guys who can move the puck under pressure on the outside of the PK box. Tampa got Lecavalier, MSL and Stamkos + some decent PP players.

Richards was definitely a core piece of Tampa's PP when he was there. But he had Boyle next to him and Lecav down low. MSL had more of a marginal role on that PP. In Dallas Richards was THE core of their PP, but he had Zubov next to him and a very good playmaker down low in Mike Riberio to play keep away from the PK box with him.

Here in NY, if the PK box overloads on the left side, Richards just even remotely has a Boyle/Zubov who can relieve pressure of him. All a PK box has to do against us is overload on the right side and we can't handle it.

SupersonicMonkey*

The issue, IMO with relying on Del Zotto to be the Power Play QB is this...

I have been adamant for a long time about the need and our lack of, a puck rushing/puck carrying defenseman.

Not to be confused with what people list as PMD which is 'puck moving defenseman'.

I was pleasantly surprised to read an excerpt from Shane Malloy's book: "The Art of Scouting". From I believe none other than our own Jeff Gorton about the difference.

The Rangers have several "PMD" already. Puck movers. Guys who are able to quickly retrieve the puck and move it to the correct option.

The only issue is, that relies on someone else getting the puck through the neutral zone and deep into the offensive zone. And there are times when the forward group on the ice is the bottom six, where there is less overall skill and less chance they will get the puck deep.

A puck skating/puck carrying/puck rushing, which ever moniker you want to use, is a guy who can retrieve the puck quickly, and use his legs and puck skills to get up through the defensive zone, through the neutral zone and either get the puck deep or gain the zone with control of the puck.

The Rangers have not had a player like this since 2004, before we traded Leetch.

The Rangers NEED a defenseman like this. Obviously not on the level of Leetch. But they need to find the next Karlsson, or Letang, or Schultz, or Campbell, or Boyle.

Now, here is a whacky idea:

Toronto is legitimate THIS season. In THIS shortened season, they are a playoff team. And as shown recently, seed doesn't matter, make it to the dance and you can progress just like any other higher seeded team.

Would Toronto be willing to move Morgan Reilly for a package surrounding Gaborik or Richards + prospect(s) + pick(s)? To improve their chances in the playoffs?

Morgan Reilly is EXACTLY the kind of defenseman the Rangers need in their organization. I'll go into more detail below:

They already have three shut down guys in McDonagh, Staal, and Girardi. They have a nasty physical defenseman who is knocking on the door in McIlrath. They have a skilled more mobile guy in Stralman.

Put a package together, steal Reilly.

Package Del Zotto to Colorado for O'Reilly.

Now you added depth down the middle, and you added your missing-for-a-decade puck rushing highly skilled offensive defenseman.

But that proposal is predicated on weather or not Toronto would actually move Reilly.

Nonetheless, the Rangers need to find that kind of defenseman.

The Power Play would have a guy able to take ownership of the puck and gain the zone. Create from the point. And 5v5 and 4v4 situations our transition attack would greatly improve.

EDIT:

Just wanted to exand on "take ownership of the puck". As it relates to Del Zotto.

Del Zotto doesn't take ownership of the puck. He lacks the foot speed to consistently take ownership of the puck on a regular basis.

This is why IMO moving Del Zotto and replacing him with a guy like i listed above, is a wise decision.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
But you can't do it alone. Any PK can easily erase a one man PP.

You need three guys who can move the puck under pressure on the outside of the PK box. Tampa got Lecavalier, MSL and Stamkos + some decent PP players.

Richards was definitely a core piece of Tampa's PP when he was there. But he had Boyle next to him and Lecav down low. MSL had more of a marginal role on that PP. In Dallas Richards was THE core of their PP, but he had Zubov next to him and a very good playmaker down low in Mike Riberio to play keep away from the PK box with him.

Here in NY, if the PK box overloads on the left side, Richards just even remotely has a Boyle/Zubov who can relieve pressure of him. All a PK box has to do against us is overload on the right side and we can't handle it.

Personnel doesn't mean that Richards has to stand still at the blue line and pass back and forth until he can fire a one-timer into the goalies chest. He's supposed to move and dictate the rotation of the other players on the ice. If he stands still, they stand still. When they move, he makes lousy passes. He just doesn't have it anymore.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Here is an interesting proposal from the Wings board, and this is what I am talking about by the return I would look for:

Tatar + White + Kindl + 2014 1st + 2013 2nd for Gaborik

The rangers add White who is a pending UFA to try him out. Puck-mover, good skater, gritty.

Kindl is a big guy who can skate, move the puck and has a good shot. Probably peaks out as a #5 d-man.

Tatar is a very good young, skilled player. Top-6 very soon. Electrifying and good on both ends of the rink.

(2) picks.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Unless its a trade that makes us more likely to win a cup the next 2 seasons, I'm not hugely enthusiastic about it.

Tatar is an interesting player, no doubt about it. But Detroit is expectantly drooling over the prospect of having Marian. Every team in the league would want him. We've just had him for 3 years so people are starting to take him for granted.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Unless its a trade that makes us more likely to win a cup the next 2 seasons, I'm not hugely enthusiastic about it.

Tatar is an interesting player, no doubt about it. But Detroit is expectantly drooling over the prospect of having Marian. Every team in the league would want him. We've just had him for 3 years so people are starting to take him for granted.

Im with you. These trade proposals are taking the team more towards a rebuild, which is foolish considering Lundqvist is now on the wrong side of 30.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Again, I don't think I am. I realize what he brings to the table. I just don't see him in the long-term plans of this organization. I said the same thing about Jagr when his contract was almost up. Why lose assets for nothing? Bad organizations do that.

Gaborik can return (4) long-term assets to this organization. On top of that, Tatar + Kindl would account for maybe 2 million on the cap. That leaves 5 million to use elsewhere.

If this organization is serious about contending long-term these are the types of moves and hard decisions they have to make. Maximize assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad