Confirmed with Link: TRADE: Robinson, Stortini, 7th to SJ for Wingels

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Fans of other teams just don't watch enough sens hockey to understand where the team is right now. I'll be the first to admit when I want to watch hockey and my team isn't playing I rarely watch sens games. Even with their success this season the whole brand and marketing around them screams mediocrity.(I'm not talking about the teams performance here)Unles you're a sens fan there isn't anything too exciting to watch sens wise.

If I'm going to watch other teams play its for various reasons like, Arenas, rivalries, excitement surrounding that team, etc. The CTC looks like an overused dark pit now compared to some of the nice rinks you can see on TV.

It's not that the team is bad, it's that there isn't alot of appeal to other viewers, or viewers from other legit hockey markets.

There are a myriad of reasons for this, but you're right. Primary reason is we have only one true superstar and that's Karlsson, aside from that there are guys like Stone who are stars at this point, but I doubt you'll hear John Q Fan say they'll go to a Sens game to see Mark Stone. There's no superstar forward on this team, no one player that will draw viewers unless their fairly versed in each team's players and know about Hoffman, Turris, Brassard etc.

We're also dwarfed by Toronto and Montreal, both of whom are much bigger markets and therefore get the bulk of the headlines.

Then there's a building that was once considered pretty good, but is now a huge paperweight.

Then there's the marketing aspect. This team feels a lot like the Pesky Sens of a couple of years ago, without being branded as such.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
There are a myriad of reasons for this, but you're right. Primary reason is we have only one true superstar and that's Karlsson, aside from that there are guys like Stone who are stars at this point, but I doubt you'll hear John Q Fan say they'll go to a Sens game to see Mark Stone. There's no superstar forward on this team, no one player that will draw viewers unless their fairly versed in each team's players and know about Hoffman, Turris, Brassard etc.

We're also dwarfed by Toronto and Montreal, both of whom are much bigger markets and therefore get the bulk of the headlines.

Then there's a building that was once considered pretty good, but is now a huge paperweight.

Then there's the marketing aspect. This team feels a lot like the Pesky Sens of a couple of years ago, without being branded as such.

Hoffman isnt exactly a star but he's sure exciting to watch.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Hoffman isnt exactly a star but he's sure exciting to watch.

Agreed, but he's not on the level of Karlsson, the level of super-star. Winnipeg is in the same situation where they had a bunch of good players and Byfuglien, but that's changing with Laine. Toronto has Matthews and Marner coming in. Pitts has Crosby and Malkin. SJ has Pavelski, Thornton and Burns.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Most of the teams don't have superstar forwards. Jackets have 0 superstars, Rangers and Habs have only goalies. Arena? People actually tune in to see arena on TV? Lol.

The only reason why sens are overlooked (and rightly so) is because they couldn't sustain high level of play for a good period of time. Give it time.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Stone is that guy, just give it time.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Most of the teams don't have superstar forwards. Jackets have 0, Rangers and Habs have only goalies. Arena? People actually tune in to see arena on TV? Lol.

The only reason why sens are overlooked (and rightly so) is because they couldn't sustain high level of play for a good period of time. Give it time.

His point was fairly valid, I thought. Montreal and the Rangers don't need superstar, they have an already massive, fervent fanbase. I'm also having a hard time picturing Columbus as a top draw - even with their success.

I think what you said about consistently being good will raise our own attendance more than make us an exciting product around the league - unless we market our team as we did with the Pesky Sens.

That said, I personally don't care if no one cares about Ottawa. I was skeptical at first about this team, but man, are they ever fun to watch!

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Wingels may well see 4th line duty but it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up taking over the 3rd line RW spot if he comes back to what he was a couple of years back. If Hoffman is still sick we might even see a line of Pyatt Pageau and Wingels as early as tomorrow night.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Wingels may well see 4th line duty but it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up taking over the 3rd line RW spot if he comes back to what he was a couple of years back. If Hoffman is still sick we might even see a line of Pyatt Pageau and Wingels as early as tomorrow night.

Aye I don't like the sounds of that at all.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I wouldn't like Hoffman to still be ill but look at how long Boro has that flu. As far as that 3rd line they'd be dogged checkers. That's each their specialty.

I just don't like that third line being pyatt pageau wingels. I think people understate (not saying you are) how much Hoffman helps and drives that line. I think pyatt pageau wingels will be barely treading water is forced to play for a while.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I just don't like that third line being pyatt pageau wingels. I think people understate (not saying you are) how much Hoffman helps and drives that line. I think pyatt pageau wingels will be barely treading water is forced to play for a while.

My comment was only if Hoffman wasn't available. Of course Hoffman belongs on one of the top 3 lines if he's dressed and he seems to have found a home with Pageau. The top 3 lines have some balance right now but if Pyatt falters they now have a natural right wing who has experience to play that spot when needed.

In an ideal world Wingels replaces Neil but when they have 13 healthy forwards my bet is that Boucher won't have the guts to sit Neil so Lazar is likely going to be odd man out. With 13 healthy forwards my starting 4th line would be Kelly Lazar Pyatt/Wingels but I'll bet it will be Pyatt/Wingels Kelly Neil. Pyatt/Wingels will depend on who gets the 3rd line RW job.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Just listened to Wingells interview on the TSN website, and he is singing from the Boucher choir book. .... likes to play speed a game, play hard, forecheck hard, don't sacrifice defence for offensive but chip is whenever he can.

Point made by a commentator is that he is a good penalty killer and can back up the main 4 guys is one is out or in the box.

It sure looks like a low key but strategically sound pick up for the Senators.

The Sens have done several deals over the years to put someone in a decent place because he is a good guy but does not fit any longer or won't get a good shot. This deal has a bit of that feel to it from the San Jose side.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Part of me is wondering if his "glad to be traded to a team as good as Ottawa is great" is total ********...

and part of me is wondering if he realized he was headed out the door - there were much worse teams to go to - because the ones he could go to were ones with cap space and even further down the standings. He's coming to us - we're an OK team that can guarantee him a roster spot (pretty much) and he can have a chance in the playoffs and at a contract payout if he turns it around.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Part of me is wondering if his "glad to be traded to a team as good as Ottawa is great" is total ********...

and part of me is wondering if he realized he was headed out the door - there were much worse teams to go to - because the ones he could go to were ones with cap space and even further down the standings. He's coming to us - we're an OK team that can guarantee him a roster spot (pretty much) and he can have a chance in the playoffs and at a contract payout if he turns it around.

I would think Ottawa would be high on his list in part he played with Chris for 2 years.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Or maybe he's just saying the standard stuff after being traded. Don't read too much into it

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
I hope that the team's loyalty to Neil doesn't prevent Wingels from stepping into that 4th line RW spot. Give Neil a few games off post ASG.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I hope that the team's loyalty to Neil doesn't prevent Wingels from stepping into that 4th line RW spot. Give Neil a few games off post ASG.

They didn't acquire Wingels to make him sit. He'll be playing whether it's Neil or Lazar out of the lineup.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Fans of other teams just don't watch enough sens hockey to understand where the team is right now. I'll be the first to admit when I want to watch hockey and my team isn't playing I rarely watch sens games. Even with their success this season the whole brand and marketing around them screams mediocrity.(I'm not talking about the teams performance here)Unles you're a sens fan there isn't anything too exciting to watch sens wise.

If I'm going to watch other teams play its for various reasons like, Arenas, rivalries, excitement surrounding that team, etc. The CTC looks like an overused dark pit now compared to some of the nice rinks you can see on TV.

It's not that the team is bad, it's that there isn't alot of appeal to other viewers, or viewers from other legit hockey markets.

I dunno. The concept seems strange to me.

When the Sens aren't playing (or the game is over), I'm flipping channels to check out any other games on tv. Sure, it's hard to watch 30-40 games of each team per season or anything like that, but you'd think folks would see that Ottawa isn't anywhere near the basement right now.

Iamtheliquor*

Dec 15, 2015
They didn't acquire Wingels to make him sit. He'll be playing whether it's Neil or Lazar out of the lineup.

Sad to say but it should be Lazar sitting. The way his development has been handled is such a shame. He should have spent another year in JR working on the offensive side of the game, and then a year in the AHL after that. He was rushed.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa

Of course you always say good things about a team, but his comments went further into the style of play. I think you nailed it with him knowing he was going out. And Ottawa has a need for him and will be happy if he can be a solid 4th/3rd liner. In San Jose he was also carrying the pressure of his contract and being measured against his career year, and we are not looking for that. I just don't want to shudder when the 4th line is out.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I dunno. The concept seems strange to me.

When the Sens aren't playing (or the game is over), I'm flipping channels to check out any other games on tv. Sure, it's hard to watch 30-40 games of each team per season or anything like that, but you'd think folks would see that Ottawa isn't anywhere near the basement right now.

TBH I think most "hockey fans" are fans of their team, and that's pretty well it. MTL for example: it's Habs or bust. They couldn't care less about any hockey other than their beloved team. I think a lot of hockey fans across Canada are like that.

And in all honesty, if I'm hanging out at home I'll let HNIC run into the late game and watch that, but on a Tuesday night after a Sens game is over, I'm not seeking out more hockey to consume.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Well allow me to say it. I went to games before Karlsson & I will go to games after Karlsson & I don't go to games now just to see Karlsson. But I do notice Stone on almost every shift he is making a great steal or a nifty pass or scoring a goal & working hard. I also go to games to see Smith & Neil & Boro play, I much prefer the tougher guys & old school hockey. Maybe it's because Karlsson always looks effortless but I can appreciate his elite skill, it helps that he is much better defensively this yr.

Every now & then Karsson will do something spectacular but it's not every shift, he makes a few bone head plays too. Turris, Hoffman & Ryan every now & then make some great plays too. I go to see the Sens play regardless of who is in the lineup, but I prefer to watch the way Stone plays over Karlsson, he's a lot more fun to watch for me, he does something neat on almost every shift these days. And I'm really enjoying watching Smith play on his line too, he is having another great season & it's great to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad