Confirmed with Link: TRADE: Robinson, Stortini, 7th to SJ for Wingels

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Once Wingels gets up to speed on this GB system I would imagine GB might just change up the lines a little. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing these three lines:

Dzingel - Turris - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Stone
Hoffman - Brassard - Wingels
- Wingels brings a little more sandpaper to the top six

That 4th line still needs some improvement & IMO what this team needs is another player just like Wingels with a little more offence. If PD could add a RW forward with some size, with some nastiness to his game, defensively responsible & who could add some scoring punch to replace Wingels on the 3rd line than Wingels could be sent back down to the 4th line. I would also like to see Nick Paul brought back up to play a few games as the season winds down. So, if they can acquire a 3rd line RWer than I would like to see a 4th line of - Paul - Lazar - Wingels.

I dont post very much but when I saw this I just had to.

With GB's love affair with Pyatt, there's almost no chance of him not being in the top 9 and its essentially gauranteed that he wont be coming out of the lineup.

I cursed to myself about it at the start of the year but he's actually been solid just maybe overused at times.

Edit: that said if the 4th line were useful and being used then maybe GB wouldnt mind him on it.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I very much believe we will add another piece on the 4th line to make it a strength and make us a 4 line hockey team heading into the playoffs. As of now, Wingels is a big step in right direction but still needs one more Wingels to give us good standing heading towards the stretch run.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I very much believe we will add another piece on the 4th line to make it a strength and make us a 4 line hockey team heading into the playoffs. As of now, Wingels is a big step in right direction but still needs one more Wingels to give us good standing heading towards the stretch run.

I doubt Dorion spends more on the 4th line. *IF* he does anything else before the deadline it'll be strengthening the top-6. With Wingels, and possibly White down the line, we have enough options for the bottom lines.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I doubt Dorion spends more on the 4th line. *IF* he does anything else before the deadline it'll be strengthening the top-6. With Wingels, and possibly White down the line, we have enough options for the bottom lines.

Bottom 6 IMO, because they are affordable upgrades that won't demand a 1st or a high end prospect. (Chabot, White, Brown).

IMO if they can pick someone up that pushes Pyatt down or is an upgrade on Kelly or Lazar as hard as that is to imagine ... that they can bring in cheap a la Wingels ... they should definitely do it.

having 4 reliable lines will really help this team.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

I think it will be an addition to the top 9, to push one of them (Pyatt most likely) to the bottom 3.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Bottom 6 IMO, because they are affordable upgrades that won't demand a 1st or a high end prospect. (Chabot, White, Brown).

IMO if they can pick someone up that pushes Pyatt down or is an upgrade on Kelly or Lazar as hard as that is to imagine ... that they can bring in cheap a la Wingels ... they should definitely do it.

having 4 reliable lines will really help this team.

That's what i see as well. I don't see us giving a 1st,2nd,3rd, or top prospect, but i can see us looking at a middle 6 veteran upcoming ufa forward for a mid to late pick to make us have a deep forward group.

I doubt we're going after any top player and giving big assets. Stone, Hoffman, Turris, Brassard, Ryan, Smith, Pageau, dzingel, Karlsson, Phaneuf will have to score by committee. The most realistic thing is to try to surround them with bottom lines that don't suck and get scored on all the time. If we can get a veteran in the 8-10F range or a 5D to stabilize our team, it can make a big difference.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

With GB's love affair with Pyatt, there's almost no chance of him not being in the top 9 and its essentially gauranteed that he wont be coming out of the lineup.

I cursed to myself about it at the start of the year but he's actually been solid just maybe overused at times.

Edit: that said if the 4th line were useful and being used then maybe GB wouldnt mind him on it.

GB has already mentioned the possibility of of Pyatt moving down, so I don't think that he's as opposed to the idea as you think he is.

If anything GB has been playing Pyatt where he has as a subtle message to Dorion that this team lacks depth. At least for me, Pyatt and Boucher have opened my eyes to the fact that our bottom 6 has been fairly weak for years now.

We definitely need another Wingles/Pyatt type player down there if want to do anything beyond make the playoffs and maybe sneak into the second round.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yup, in the playoffs, 4 line hockey is absolutely essential. And we could probably get another Wingels for nothing too, just gotta be smart in our selection. A top 6 will be too much to add and not worth it.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I would think that if Ottawa adds another player one would think that the player would bring more offence than Pyatt & by subtraction automatically push Pyatt down a line. IMO Kelly is probably the next one to be knocked out of the starting roster with any new additions & Pyatt taking his spot on the 4th line. Just a guess though like everyone else.

While I said the same thing I would prefer if whoever Dorion trades for next that they would be somewhat better offensively than Wingels while still have a lot of the other attributes including being difficult to play against & playing with an edge & foul mood.

I would hope so too pushing a 3rd liner like Pyatt or Wingels down a line. Sad to see the changing of the guard after watching Neil & Kelly their whole careers with them giving so much to this franchise especially Neil. I would rather see Kelly sit than Neil but bringing in a player that is better than any of those guys on the 4th line is what is needed right now I think. I still like Paul on that 4th line & moving Pyatt to 4th line RW. Shouldn't be that difficult or expensive to find a 3rd line RWer who can score & push Wingels to the 4th line.

Dzingel - Turris - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Stone
Pyatt - Lazar - Neil/Kelly

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I would think that if Ottawa adds another player one would think that the player would bring more offence than Pyatt & by subtraction automatically push Pyatt down a line. IMO Kelly is probably the next one to be knocked out of the starting roster with any new additions & Pyatt taking his spot on the 4th line. Just a guess though like everyone else.

While I said the same thing I would prefer if whoever Dorion trades for next that they would be somewhat better offensively than Wingels while still have a lot of the other attributes including being difficult to play against & playing with an edge & foul mood.

I would hope so too pushing a 3rd liner like Pyatt or Wingels down a line. Sad to see the changing of the guard after watching Neil & Kelly their whole careers with them giving so much to this franchise especially Neil. I would rather see Kelly sit than Neil but bringing in a player that is better than any of those guys on the 4th line is what is needed right now I think. I still like Paul on that 4th line & moving Pyatt to 4th line RW. Shouldn't be that difficult or expensive to find a 3rd line RWer who can score & push Wingels to the 4th line.

Dzingel - Turris - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Stone
Pyatt - Lazar - Neil/Kelly

In my opinion you don't switch Brassard and Pageau given both centres have developed chemistry with they wingers. I also think White will be the extra bottom 6 guy by the end of the season pushing Pyatt down to the fourth line. Ideally it would be nice if he was able to play with Hoffman and Pageau to make that line complete.

A fourth line of Pyatt Lazar Wingles would be interesting, with perhaps Kelly replacing Lazar for stability if he falters

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Most of the teams don't have superstar forwards. Jackets have 0 superstars, Rangers and Habs have only goalies. Arena? People actually tune in to see arena on TV? Lol.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Teams usually don't have several "Superstars"

Anaheim Ducks : Getzlaf, Perry? (decline)
Arizona Coyotes : OEL
Boston Bruins : Bergeron, Rask, Chara? (decline)
Buffalo Sabres : Eichel (young)
Calgary Flames : Gaudreau, Giordano?
Carolina Hurricanes : Skinner? Faulk?
Chicago Blackhawks : Kane, Panarin, Keith, Toews
Colorado Avalanche : MacKinnon, Duchene? Varlamov?
Columbus Blue Jackets : Bobrovsky?, Saad? Atkinson?
Dallas Stars : Benn, Seguin
Detroit Red Wings : Zetterberg? (decline)
Edmonton Oilers : McDavid, Draisaitl (both young)
Florida Panthers : Barkov, Ekblad (both young and a bit unproven), Luongo (decline), Jagr (decline)
Los Angeles Kings : Doughty, Kopitar, Carter? Quick?
Minnesota Wild : Suter, Dubnyk? Parise (decline)
Montreal Canadiens : Price, Weber, Pacioretty?
Nashville Predators : Subban, Forsberg? Josi?
New Jersey Devils : Hall, Schneider?
New York Islanders : Tavares
New York Rangers : Lundqvist, McDonagh? Nash? (decline)
Philadelphia Flyers : Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds?
Pittsburgh Penguins : Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Kessel
Ottawa Senators : Karlsson, Stone? Hoffman?
San Jose Sharks : Burns, Pavelski, Thornton (decline), Couture? Vlasic?
St Louis Blues : Tarasenko, Pietrangelo
Tampa Bay Lightning : Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov?
Toronto Maple Leafs : Matthews, Marner (both young and a bit unproven)
Vancouver Canucks : Sedin, Sedin (decline)
Washington Capitals : Ovechkin, Backstrom, Holtby
Winnipeg Jets : Wheeler? Byfuglien? Laine? Scheifele? Ehlers? (last 3 are very young)

Am I missing someone? Outside of a few teams like the Pens, Caps, Hawks and Sharks, most teams have 1 superstar and a few stars.

I don't see the argument that the Sens don't have enough stars. Ottawa is just a small market stuck between Toronto, Montreal and New York. A lot of rivals nearby that hate the Sens just because.

The only reason why sens are overlooked (and rightly so) is because they couldn't sustain high level of play for a good period of time. Give it time.

Sens have made the playoffs 15 times in the last 19 seasons (since 1996-97, which is the 1st time they have made the playoffs). They were a solid contender for maybe half of those years. Sens are 6th in P% during that period of time, and 3rd in GF/GP while being 8th in GA/GP and they scored 234 more goals at ES than they gave up (+ 234)

They had a few down years recently (but not as close as bad as Toronto/Buffalo/Edmonton/etc) but overall this team has been better than average the last 2 decades and was even elite for a while. It's heavily unrealistic to expect a team to remain a contender all the time, particularly a small market like Ottawa. Even super rich teams like Montreal, Toronto and New York can't do it.

Doesn't look like he took an overly long time to get up, though. And I'm not sure how you know he coasted, the camera's not on him. In fact, if he had been in frame, it would mean he was way out of position. Sens players already outnumbered them 3/4 to 2 around the puck. We don't want 5 guys swarming the puck, that's novice hockey.

That was a nothing play, just an awful rebound by Condon... There was no reason to give the puck back to a Flames player... If a goal was scored every time somebody lost the puck in the OZ or NZ, games would end in a football score

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
In my opinion you don't switch Brassard and Pageau given both centres have developed chemistry with they wingers. I also think White will be the extra bottom 6 guy by the end of the season pushing Pyatt down to the fourth line. Ideally it would be nice if he was able to play with Hoffman and Pageau to make that line complete.

A fourth line of Pyatt Lazar Wingles would be interesting, with perhaps Kelly replacing Lazar for stability if he falters

I don't agree with you regarding White for a few reasons, first, his school yr might not be completed in time for him to join the team or so late that it would make no sense for GB who already doesn't trust young players to put him in a crucial game that could mean making the playoffs or not. Second, and if we were to be in the playoffs I still don't see this coach inserting a rookie who hasn't played in Ottawa all yr, who hasn't learned his complicated system & hasn't played a single NHL game or proven he can even play in the NHL yet. Third, I doubt there will be any meaningless games at the end of the season that they could get White into to play.

GB has already this season broken up the lines on numerous occasions & IMO if he wants to create more scoring the best way to do that is to put Pageau back with Smith & Stone to create a third scoring line. Hoffman can score on his own & Brassard has been & still is a pretty good setup guy & scorer himself & Wingels IMO would be a very good fit with them to bring some toughness, to get to the front of the net, dig out pucks along the boards & in the corners & chip in scoring on their line. And IMO he would be a much better fit to score goals with those two than Pyatt but you may be right that GB wants to keep him there. That would be an interesting 4th line too & Lazar could play on that 3rd line with Hoffman & Brassard & maybe they turn him into a goal scorer. :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad