Confirmed with Link: TRADE: Robinson, Stortini, 7th to SJ for Wingels

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
Good trade. Now let's make it much better by taking Neil out of the lineup. The guy is so past his due date.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'm not whining at all, guess when someone has a different view on things it's always whining/complaining.

Fact of the matter is that we are in the playoffs with those 3 in the line up most of the year. Your definite improvement isn't close to being good enough. Wingles isn't going to be the difference between making and missing the playoffs. We need more than a bottom 6 player hopefully it gets done. That's all i am saying.

Boucher has been double shifting top 6ers on the 4th line the last few games. Getting a player he is confident in using for a 7th improves our team.

Wingels makes our team better, which increases our odds of winning. It is that simple. Does he make us a lot better? No. But for a 7th, sure it is worth it.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
That video was very helpful as one can discern:

1. He has wheels

2. He has an above average shot

3. He is used on the PP

4. He is used in last minute of the game

Good qualities for this team.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If Wingels can play at anything close to his 2013-14 & 2014-15 level, it improves the forward depth a lot

Pretty sure leafs didn't retain money.

They didn't "retain" money but they took ~14.3 of undesired salary, so it's pretty much like they did. The reason why Ottawa was able to afford Phaneuf

Also, Rangers didn't retain money on Brassard, it's just that deal was made AFTER his 2 M$ bonus was paid, so a big reason why he came up cheap.

How dare you not put Dzingel and Wingels on the same line!:rant:

Why not put Hoffman with Turris and Ryan, who would finish Ryan set ups more regularly?

Hoffman - Turris - Ryan
Smith - Brassard - Stone
Dzingel - Pageau - Wingels
Pyatt - Kelly - Lazar
Neil

Still don't like the 4th line. I want to see Paul replace Kelly.

Sure but the reason it took so long to trade him was teams wanted the Leafs to retain a good part Detroit wanted 35%.

If that's true, they made a mistake by not accepting less and might miss the playoffs for the 1st time in 26 years as a result...

Thank you Detroit for letting Phaneuf fall to the Sens

Stronger with Stortini not taking up minutes

He has been healthy scratched for a while

Wingels salary for remainder of this season = $0.742mil

Minus remainders of Stortini and Robinson AHL contracts (~$84k and ~$32k, respectively), Sens increase organizational payroll by roughly $0.626mil.

Minus the 80% insured of MacArthur's salary?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Mac's contract is 80% insured??

First 30 days nothing covered then 80% I believe.

Question I have does he have to retire before there is any payout. I think that's the case but not sure, wonder what happened in Savard's case. Plus I think Mac gives it another go in September.

Also to the posters hoping for something big, PD said to Ian today that you don't give up blue chip prospects that are 1 -2 years away. Glad to hear hear, that probably means Chabot, White and Brown are not going anywhere.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Best case scenario, he bounces back to his former foment a couple years ago and we have ourselves a defensively responsible high energy play with good wheels and a good shot who can play up and down the lineup. A utility player of sorts, kind of like Smith, though that's a rough comparison.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
First 30 days nothing covered then 80% I believe.

Question I have does he have to retire before there is any payout. I think that's the case but not sure, wonder what happened in Savard's case. Plus I think Mac gives it another go in September.

Also to the posters hoping for something big, PD said to Ian today that you don't give up blue chip prospects that are 1 -2 years away. Glad to hear hear, that probably means Chabot, White and Brown are not going anywhere.

So, there are different types of insurance, the 80% is team payroll insurance, it covers up to 80% of the salary after a player misses 30 consecutive games. There is also insurance players have for catastrophic injuries that end their carears, I think Berard was paid out u Der this when he nearly lost an eye. For the former, you don't need to retire, crosby is an example of someone who's team made an insurance claim, where as you do need to retire to recieve the latter, at least tone my understanding

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Robinson and Stortini were expendable. It's likely that neither was going to be offered an AHL contract next year. The 7th is likely for the 30% salary retention. Maybe SJ sees something in Robinson but he doesn't play to his size. That's a cheap price for a 3rd/4th line NHL RW even if Wingels turns out to be an end of season rental at least he can play at this level and provides depth. With an extra roster forward, the 4th line has just improved no matter how they rotate the players.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Literally nobody is complaining about the deal, and yet we manage to complain about the complainers!

As to who sits, I wouldn't mind sitting Kelly, and going with:

Wingels - Lazar - Neil

although I agree with whoever proposed:

McCormick - Lazar - Wingels <- bunch of annoying pests

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Shark fan scouting report on Wingels:

He hasn't been as good as he can be for the last couple years. Maybe it was something about the current coaching staff, and maybe the change of scenery will re-energize him. He can score a bit (2 seasons of ~15 goals and ~35 points) but lately he hasn't. He can play an aggressive, hitting, buzzsaw game, but lately he hasn't. Stylistically he's gotten away from himself being a rambunctious energy guy who gets points by getting his hands dirty near the net. Maybe it's also because it tends to cost him games lost due to injury. Who knows.

It kind of makes sense the Sharks would move on from him because they need to clear roster space for guys coming off the IR and seem to have found a different suitable bottom-6 forward to do Wingels' job for cheaper in Ryan Carpenter. Plus the guys the Sharks get from you go to the Barracuda where their forward corps has been thinned out by the promotion of several prospects, and the Sharks get some cap relief and a little more wiggle room so that they don't have to stream guys on the AHL shuttle on off-days to save money

Seems like a sort of relative win-win trade for both sides. You get a potentially decent NHLer for a song, and the Sharks get the financial flexibility and AHL depth they needed to stabilize their roster situation without having to pay the other size to take a dead weight contract or something like that.

I hope Wingels rebounds for you. He's fun to watch when he plays like he can

This assessment indicates the Sena are getting a reclamation project. Good thing the Sens paid a low price and he is a UFA at year end if it does not work out.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Literally nobody is complaining about the deal, and yet we manage to complain about the complainers!

As to who sits, I wouldn't mind sitting Kelly, and going with:

Wingels - Lazar - Neil

although I agree with whoever proposed:

I think Kelly stays in for the Pk. Lazar probably comes out but my preference would be Neil.

Kelly-Lazar-Wingels

3 guys that can take draws though none are particularly good at it, no excuse to not cheat a bit every puck drop,

Emerica

May 29, 2010
This depth move has no effect on whether Dorion makes more significant trades before the deadline.

And if Wingels can take one of the bottom liners spots, it does change a lot. This was a problem that needed to be addressed.

nah man if we don't acquire a top 6 F or a top 4 D it's not a good trade. duh.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
We'll see who gets scratched, I bet Lazar but I hope Neil.

I thought the same thing. If Wingels can play like he did a few years back and convince Lazar to join him he'll be worth every penny.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
8 points, playing on SJs 4th line. I hope you don't expect much.

Still time to make another move, so hope this isn't the only player we trade for.

I do. Anyone else we trade for will either cost too much in assets for what they bring or will walk at the end of the year. Either way, it's a waste of assets and hurts us in the future when I believe we can be real contenders.

On a side note, Stortini going the other way because we still owe him about 100k to play in the AHL is pretty funny if you feel comfortable enough to laugh at your own team's budget woes. (In b4 Dorion holds a press conference to assure us they really wanted Stortini and it wasn't motivated by the budget)

Any reason you think this??? Even the Sharks fan who posted here said himself that they'd depleted their AHL forward depth and need extra guys. I see absolutely no reason to think Stortini moving has anything to do with budget, unless you have some insider info...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad