Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2017 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Or one could say that if the Leafs were trying to trade JVR in the off-season, it's not unreasonable to think that trading JVR is still a possibility.

If they were really trying to trade JVR, he would have been traded.

Nothing is impossible but I think it's incredibly unlikely for a lot of reasons.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Nothing is impossible but I think it's incredibly unlikely for a lot of reasons.

I think it's too early to say that it's incredibly unlikely as that assumes that we view ourselves as serious cup contenders and that won't change between now and the TDL. I think a more likely scenario is that they aren't actively shopping JVR at the moment but if at any point it looks like our chances of going deep aren't that great, Lou will be on the phone immediately.

I also think some people think JVR is more important to our success than he really is. He's not among our most important 8 players, that much I think almost everyone agrees on. So he's maybe somewhere between 9-12 or whatever, if he's out Kapanen is in how much have we lost really? I don't think it shifts the scales very much myself. Bottom line is we could keep everyone and go out in the first round, or we could trade JVR and still win the cup. The return on him is probably at a 1st+, is losing that return really worth it?

That was a rhetorical question, obviously opinions vary on this one. There is an argument to be made both ways, that's probably why it's such an interesting question.

Reactions: MJ65

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Can't necessarily disagree, though I wouldn't mind a Shattenkirk scenario where we trade him close to the TDL so we can get a return on a pending UFA while not damaging our current season's hopes (assuming we're both in the playoff race and not looking to re-sign JVR).

Seems like coaching/management weren't convinced of a Marlie/Leivo being a replacement for JVR from the start of the season, but maybe that feeling changes as time progresses. JVR seems to be more interested in re-signing than Shattenkirk was, but the question mark there is obviously if the feeling is mutual.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
I would be shocked if any of JVR, Bozak or Komarov got traded for futures
If it didn't happen in the off-season, it's not going to happen now

It's not a good look in the locker room for a team in contention to trade their veterans away

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
This guy is really that good? Top 5 defensive defenseman in entire NHL? How do you label him that if he is often injured? You are aware that the some of the best defensive defenseman are also some of the best offensive defensemen as well. I wouldn't put them in any specific order but these are just a few that are far better defensively then Tanev!!

Byfuglien lol no
Doughty maybe
Weber no
Pietrangelo no
Keith not close
Suter no
Hedman nope
Giordano no
Vlasic yes

The best defensive defenseman in the NHL are: (imo)

Vlasic
Ekholm
Hjalmarsson
Tanev
Stralman

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Well they did try to trade him this summer for Harmonic...

I suspect management is fine keeping him, but he's definitely an asset they could potentially move still, especially considering their main free agency acquisition was a goal scoring LW with Marleau.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think the Leafs will miss JVR's presence in front of the net, but won't miss his defense.

Personally, I would actually want to see if there could be a JVR-Duchene deal, ofcourse there will be add on.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
This guy is really that good? Top 5 defensive defenseman in entire NHL? How do you label him that if he is often injured? You are aware that the some of the best defensive defenseman are also some of the best offensive defensemen as well. I wouldn't put them in any specific order but these are just a few that are far better defensively then Tanev!!

Byfuglien
Doughty
Weber
Pietrangelo
Keith
Suter
Hedman
Giordano
Vlasic
You could not have started that list off much worse if you tried. Byfuglien is the only defender in the league who might actually have an effect on expected save percentage. And it's a negative one, to be clear.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
The best defensive defenseman in the NHL are: (imo)

Vlasic
Ekholm
Hjalmarsson
Tanev
Stralman

Stralman??? Same Stralman the former Leaf....that guy?

On the list you gave only Vlasic and Ekholm are solid dmen. The others are not. Doughty, Keith, Seabrook, Pietroangelo, Giordano are better then the rest defensively. Come on seriously, Tanev is not a top 5 defenseman in the NHL. Defensively that is.

One thing everyone is forgetting part of defensive play is offensive play, outlet passes, controlling the play and able to skate. I would even say Letang and Karlsson are better defensively then Tanev, Stralman and Hjalmarrson.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
If some how we can acquire Neal from Vegas and then trade JVR - is that not a better option for the playoffs?

I think you can get better value by trading JVR then acquiring Neal for whatever we give up

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If some how we can acquire Neal from Vegas and then trade JVR - is that not a better option for the playoffs?

I think you can get better value by trading JVR then acquiring Neal for whatever we give up
Neal for sure is a better option. I think he would cost more than JVR though.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Well they did try to trade him this summer for Harmonic...

I suspect management is fine keeping him, but he's definitely an asset they could potentially move still, especially considering their main free agency acquisition was a goal scoring LW with Marleau.

But it didn't happen and that report was very questionable.

Again, if the goal was to trade him -- it would have happened one way or another.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Quiet possible but for some reason I believe JVR has more value
If they can add Neal, drop JVR and be on the plus side of the asset column that would be fantastic.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
But it didn't happen and that report was very questionable.

Again, if the goal was to trade him -- it would have happened one way or another.

It was reported by pretty mainstream hockey sources.

I think he's a moveable asset, but that management isn't going to trade him for the sake of trading him.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Stralman??? Same Stralman the former Leaf....that guy?

On the list you gave only Vlasic and Ekholm are solid dmen. The others are not. Doughty, Keith, Seabrook, Pietroangelo, Giordano are better then the rest defensively. Come on seriously, Tanev is not a top 5 defenseman in the NHL. Defensively that is.

One thing everyone is forgetting part of defensive play is offensive play, outlet passes, controlling the play and able to skate. I would even say Letang and Karlsson are better defensively then Tanev, Stralman and Hjalmarrson.

What exactly are you basing all this on?

I do find it quite funny you just said Seabrook is good defensively.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Every indication is that Tavares is waiting for certainty on the Islanders’ long-term future before the franchise centerpiece of nine years signs on for eight more. There is no reason to expect that the captain wouldn’t be willing to wait for the state’s decision until the free agent market opens on July 1, if necessary. He obviously wants to stay; the proper authorities would know otherwise by now.

But if the trade deadline approaches without a rapid, favorable decision from Empire State Development, the burden in the Taveras-Islanders dynamic will fall entirely on the team. Ownership and management will have to decide whether to, a) ride it out with No. 91 and risk having their franchise player walk out the door with nothing in return if Belmont hasn’t gone their way by July 1; or, b) move him for what presumably would be a plentiful bounty.

And while it would be calamitous for the franchise if Tavares simply departs as a free agent, it would not necessarily be so at all if general manager Garth Snow could pull off an equitable deal—and that means with a team with which Tavares would be willing to sign an extension; perhaps, for instance, Tampa Bay, Toronto or Montreal—at the deadline.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Oh man, I know its a pipe dream... but imagine getting a Tavares and a top 4 D-man:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Grundstrom-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Leivo-Aaltonen-Kapanen
Johnsson

Rielly-_____
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Borgman

Andersen
Pickard

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
LEbrun is what he is.... but he says that the kings are looking to trade muzzin for a winger to play with kopitar.

What would that realistically take? He is exactly what we could use (from
What I remember in playoff runs)
6’3 215 lbs plays the right side and 28. JVR and what? He has 3 years with 4 mill left
And has won cups. What to add to jvr?

Hyman. Matthews. Nylander
Marleau. Bozak. Marner
Leo. Kadri. Brown
Martin. Moore. Leivo

Gardiner. Zaitsev
Rielly. Muzzin
Borgman. Hainsey

Annnd cup.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
LEbrun is what he is.... but he says that the kings are looking to trade muzzin for a winger to play with kopitar.

They'd probably want Connor Brown +, maybe ++,

Which I really wouldn't like. Muzzin isn't all that great..pretty sure he plays on the left side too.

I'd consider one of our W prospects in the AHL.....but if we do get Muzzin..your probably looking at him on a 2nd/3rd pairing LHD spot..or moving Rielly over to RHD (which I'm not a huge fan of). You also have to consider that he may end up eating one of Dermott's spots moving forward.

It'd make more sense to upgrade on Gardiner/Rielly.

I can probably be convinced otherwise though. Just projecting some thoughts here.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Muzzin would be a great defenseman to acquire. He's a lefty but he's quality. I know Babcock loved him on his World Cup team.

His contract is top notch value, so I think the Kings will be asking for a lot. In my opinion, Kapanen will be the main asking piece for them. They want and need scoring forwards.

If the Leafs really want to go for it in the next 2 seasons, they technically could go after both Muzzin and Tanev to load up. They are both signed for a few more years too, so they wouldn't be pure rentals. I'd take back anything bad I said about Lamoriello if he made it work without giving up the kitchen sink, but that seems way too ambitious to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad