Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2017 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Some of you guys are really delusional if you think JVR or Bozak will be traded in the season. The Leafs are going for it this season to a certain degree. You can hate either or both of those players all you want but you can't disagree they are have value and we're worst without them.

The time to trade those players was in the off-season.

If we're going to add to this team, especially defensively, it will be at the expense of pick(s) and/or prospects.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
subtracting JVR, while would hurt a little losing his points will greatly help our D game. If only to put a defensive player with Bozak and marner, Brown or Kapanen (brown deserves 1st shot at it) with kapanen slotting on the 4th line to begin we have added 2 better defensive players to different parts of the lineup. Then with what we get for JVR we can flip some for a dman, even if only a rental dman

the result is:
-one lazy one dimensional player out
-Brown a permanant promotion he deserves (only had 9 less goals than JVR last year with tougher matchups)
-Kapanen a hard working young player with serious offensive ability getting his feet wet on the 4th line
-maybe a top4 D (rental) if not another pick for a d prospect

The fact that we have Kapanen and Leivo who are ready to play now is definitely a part of the equation, at least for me. Freeing up a spot for them to play some is a tangible side benefit of trading JVR. We're looking at replacing JVR/Bozak/Komarov, not sure how good and idea it is to replace them all at the start of next year. Why not phase in this change bit by bit, I really think next year we could make a big push and it might make sense for us to shift our focus there. It may be tempting to go for it now, not sure how wise it is though.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Guys, I really think we gotta stop with the "Matthews at 10.5" stuff, he will get minimum 12.

I think we gotta stop with the "Matthews at whatever" stuff. Unless of course someone can predict the future and tell us exactly how he will play the rest of the season. It looks like it will likely be at least 10 and at the most 12.5, anything beyond that is really hard to say right now.

Some of you guys are really delusional if you think JVR or Bozak will be traded in the season. The Leafs are going for it this season to a certain degree. You can hate either or both of those players all you want but you can't disagree they are have value and we're worst without them.

If we're going to add to this team, especially defensively, it will be at the expense of pick(s) and/or prospects.

Agree they have value and we're worse without them. I still think it's possible for one or both to be traded though. And I really hope we don't both keep them AND trade futures for help now. Losing 3 good players to free agency is hard enough to take, sacrificing more futures on top of that, I just don't know ...

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Agree they have value and we're worse without them. I still think it's possible for one or both to be traded though. And I really hope we don't both keep them AND trade futures for help now. Losing 3 good players to free agency is hard enough to take, sacrificing more futures on top of that, I just don't know ...

It's terrible asset management but it is what it is. JVR should have been traded for the highest possible return. If the Leafs don't go far this season, it will be a pretty big waste unless they re-sign JVR to a damn good contract.

But hard to see them make that kind of trade in season when JVR has been fairly good and contributing really well, as he always does. You don't make your NHL team weaker when you want to finish at the top.

Either way, we'll see what happens.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think we gotta stop with the "Matthews at whatever" stuff. Unless of course someone can predict the future and tell us exactly how he will play the rest of the season. It looks like it will likely be at least 10 and at the most 12.5, anything beyond that is really hard to say right now.

1-I agree, although id say I really don't care what Matthews gets paid he is a player you pay and deal with the consequences later.

2-I think Bozak is much less likely, just due to C depth and I cant see Babs wanting Nylander there yet. Plus bozak is good a foaceoffs couple that with the fact I don't think bozak has spectacular value maybe a 2nd or 2 id be ok with keeping him and letting him walk

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's terrible asset management but it is what it is. JVR should have been traded for the highest possible return. If the Leafs don't go far this season, it will be a pretty big waste unless they re-sign JVR to a damn good contract.

But hard to see them make that kind of trade in season when JVR has been fairly good and contributing really well, as he always does. You don't make your NHL team weaker when you want to finish at the top.

Either way, we'll see what happens.

Yeah we'll see. I wouldn't bet on JVR being traded but I won't lose hope until the bitter end. :laugh:

1-I agree, although id say I really don't care what Matthews gets paid he is a player you pay and deal with the consequences later.

2-I think Bozak is much less likely, just due to C depth and I cant see Babs wanting Nylander there yet. Plus bozak is good a foaceoffs couple that with the fact I don't think bozak has spectacular value maybe a 2nd or 2 id be ok with keeping him and letting him walk

Sure, unless we get a 1st for him I'd keep him too. Maybe a middle ground of trading JVR, letting Bozak walk and trying to sign Leo for another two years or something if he'll sign for a good price.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Why would we trade JvR for assets that likely don't help the Leafs for another 3-4 years?

Did Chicago ever trade a guy that was about to be UFA during their Cup runs? If we don't add anything significant, I am okay with it, but subtracting is out of the question IMO. Just think of JvR as a rental we acquired for free at the trade deadline.

I don't see any team in the East we can't beat. That doesn't mean we are going to make the SCF because the playoffs are entire unpredictable but it does signal that the days of the Leafs being sellers at the trade deadline are over.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The good thing here is that the Leafs have an extra 2nd round pick and a plethora of prospects, especially on the wing. So they can probably afford to lose JVR and/or Komarov for nothing. It's not like we acquired them all recently and spent assets to get them.

I would fully expect the Leafs to go hard after a top 2/4 defenseman by the trade deadline though. I believe they will go hard after Tanev from Vancouver, assuming they finish near the bottom line expected.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I really do not get all the love for a player like Tanev, To me he really hasn't done anything for me anyways to prove that he is better then Gardiner, Reilly or Zaitsev!!! To me unless you are acquiring a dman that is better then those 3 and drops them down to 2,3,4 dmen in your lineup....you don't acquire a dman. You just keep developing what you have and hang on to your assets until you can acquire a sure thing.

RLF

May 5, 2014

The time to trade those players was in the off-season.

I don't know, I think calling people delusional if they think JVR and/or Bozak could be traded this season is a little over the top. It will all depend on where this team is in February and how good they look, don't you think? Even if we look playoff bound, but not really a contender, I could see them maybe move JVR/Bozak a few days before the deadline for a future part for instance or if moved for picks, turn around and acquire a part we could use for picks from a team looking to sell. It all depends on what we look like come deadline time.imo

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Why would we trade JvR for assets that likely don't help the Leafs for another 3-4 years?

Did Chicago ever trade a guy that was about to be UFA during their Cup runs? If we don't add anything significant, I am okay with it, but subtracting is out of the question IMO. Just think of JvR as a rental we acquired for free at the trade deadline.

I don't see any team in the East we can't beat. That doesn't mean we are going to make the SCF because the playoffs are entire unpredictable but it does signal that the days of the Leafs being sellers at the trade deadline are over.

Because in 3-4 years the cap will have it that to gain competitive edge we'll need some ELC players? You should know this. Its a method of maintaining a long term sustainability scheme. Its actually the most important thing to this team, priority A.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't know, I think calling people delusional if they think JVR and/or Bozak could be traded this season is a little over the top. It will all depend on where this team is in February and how good they look, don't you think? Even if we look playoff bound, but not really a contender, I could see them maybe move JVR/Bozak a few days before the deadline for a future part for instance or if moved for picks, turn around and acquire a part we could use for picks from a team looking to sell. It all depends on what we look like come deadline time.imo

Maybe a little harsh but some people are talking about trading JVR for a 1st round pick straight up.

Of course if we're not as good as we should be, for whatever reason, and look to be on the outside looking in... then yeah. But at this rate, we're not selling anything of our NHL roster for a futures package or to acquire something else. I'd be shocked.

We'll be using our futures to add to JVR, Bozak, etc. No reason to think the Leafs can't make it to the Finals if they add a piece or two. Removing JVR or Bozak makes us that much weaker.

If the Leafs didn't trade JVR in the off-season, they won't do it in season either.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Yeah JVR/Bozak will not be traded this season as long as the Leafs continue to win. If they completely fall off then sure, but that likely will not happen.

As much as we all would like to replace these 2 guys with better all-around players, we will have to wait until next season when they walk away in free agency, and guys like Grundstrom, Kapanen, Leivo, etc. are ready to replace them (I think they are ready already).

RLF

May 5, 2014
Maybe a little harsh but some people are talking about trading JVR for a 1st round pick straight up.

Of course if we're not as good as we should be, for whatever reason, and look to be on the outside looking in... then yeah. But at this rate, we're not selling anything of our NHL roster for a futures package or to acquire something else. I'd be shocked.

We'll be using our futures to add to JVR, Bozak, etc. No reason to think the Leafs can't make it to the Finals if they add a piece or two. Removing JVR or Bozak makes us that much weaker.

If the Leafs didn't trade JVR in the off-season, they won't do it in season either.

I don't know, even if it looks like we will make the playoffs, but are unlikely to contend, I could see them moving one of them. Marleau was given 3 years and Hainsey 2, so I would say they see a two year window with these guys likely. I am not convinced they just let JVR walk for nothing if we are in a position to make the playoffs, but not playing like a championship team. Even if we move him or Bozak at the TDL, I don't think it means we miss the playoffs. Could get some assets and use assets in the summer next year to acquire a piece.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
if you can win now, go for it, go all in and win now...if you cant, ya look to add assets for the future...dont go in both directions or u end up in the middle, and it sure looks like we trying to win

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I really do not get all the love for a player like Tanev, To me he really hasn't done anything for me anyways to prove that he is better then Gardiner, Reilly or Zaitsev!!! To me unless you are acquiring a dman that is better then those 3 and drops them down to 2,3,4 dmen in your lineup....you don't acquire a dman. You just keep developing what you have and hang on to your assets until you can acquire a sure thing.

Well when healthy you're getting a Top-5 defensive defenseman in the entire NHL... So in other words; the perfect partner for Rielly/Gardiner.

It's too bad the guy is always injured.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
By July 2018, the Leafs will be able to sign Matthews, Marner and Nylander. I wonder if there is even a slight possibility of their next contracts being announced at the same time.

That would be kind of cool.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
By July 2018, the Leafs will be able to sign Matthews, Marner and Nylander. I wonder if there is even a slight possibility of their next contracts being announced at the same time.

That would be kind of cool.

I definitely see Marner and Nylander announced together as I think the contracts will be identical. Assuming Marner and nylander have seasons in line to where they should be, if marner has a down year I think he would bet on himself and wait one more season

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit

If we keep JVR he is not a free rental as the opportunity cost is a 1st round pick+. Whether its Kapanen or Leivo, the excess production we get from JVR in my view is not worth a 1st round pick. I don't think we should flip every expiring ufa for picks, just that when a player is replacible internally, it makes sense to cash out. In other words, we should strike a balance between 'Going for it' and sustaining the window.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Well when healthy you're getting a Top-5 defensive defenseman in the entire NHL... So in other words; the perfect partner for Rielly/Gardiner.

It's too bad the guy is always injured.

This guy is really that good? Top 5 defensive defenseman in entire NHL? How do you label him that if he is often injured? You are aware that the some of the best defensive defenseman are also some of the best offensive defensemen as well. I wouldn't put them in any specific order but these are just a few that are far better defensively then Tanev!!

Byfuglien
Doughty
Weber
Pietrangelo
Keith
Suter
Hedman
Giordano
Vlasic

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
If we keep JVR he is not a free rental as the opportunity cost is a 1st round pick+. Whether its Kapanen or Leivo, the excess production we get from JVR in my view is not worth a 1st round pick. I don't think we should flip every expiring ufa for picks, just that when a player is replacible internally, it makes sense to cash out. In other words, we should strike a balance between 'Going for it' and sustaining the window.

I understand both POV's and I wouldn't be disappointed with the management no matter which route they choose.

I'd keep JvR for the playoff run and let him go afterwards.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Or one could say that if the Leafs were trying to trade JVR in the off-season, it's not unreasonable to think that trading JVR is still a possibility.

I agree.

I understand both POV's and I wouldn't be disappointed with the management no matter which route they choose.

I'd keep JvR for the playoff run and let him go afterwards.

I agree with this too. Except I'd trade JVR. :)

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Either way this board isn't going to be happy.
So you keep Bozak/JVR, we make the playoffs and go out in the first round. Then they walk.
It's also another year Kappy/Leivo could be getting experience on the NHL roster for next years push but aren't. As it stands, Leivo will probably be gone as well. That's 3 lost.

Or we could go far. Hard to say. As it stands, the board is split on trade or retain.
I'm on the trade side. Chicago traded a lot of pieces in that time for assets that are currently allow them to backfill. You must maintain the pipeline as well. I agree there are some players you can let walk (like Bozak untraded) but there are some you should get a return for.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
JVR is an expiring contract and probably not going to sign back, we do have prospects that can fill the void. We might lose a bit on the offensive side for the short run but who ever replace him is definitely going to be better defensively

Instead of let his play out the season and sign some where else, I would rather trade him and acquire some assets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad