Player Discussion Joseph freaking Woll

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
1714772033302.png

Woll has been money so far.

Sad that he didn't get in earlier but he's got the job done now that the brick Woll is up.
How would we have known Woll can do well in the playoffs ? or that Sammy is a regular season darling ?

Could we have remembered how they did last year ????

Reactions: Eternal Leaf

Cassell

Apr 28, 2024
So what’s the thinking for next year? Obviously Samsonov won’t be returning. Do the Leafs go with Woll as the starter and maybe a veteran as backup? Or do they sort of do what Boston did with Swayman and Ullmark and ice two goalies as more of a tandem?

torontoblood

Proud Member of Leafs Nation
May 27, 2021
Woll is built for the playoffs. He is a big, tall, technically sound goalie which works well in the playoffs where the games are tighter, a lot of perimeter shots, and tips where positional play is important.

His game may not translate the best in the regular season when there is a lot of east/west plays requiring acrobatic saves but he will still always have solid numbers in regular season too.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Woll is built for the playoffs. He is a big, tall, technically sound goalie which works well in the playoffs where the games are tighter, a lot of perimeter shots, and tips where positional play is important.

His game may not translate the best in the regular season when there is a lot of east/west plays requiring acrobatic saves but he will still always have solid numbers in regular season too.
Interesting take.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
So what’s the thinking for next year? Obviously Samsonov won’t be returning. Do the Leafs go with Woll as the starter and maybe a veteran as backup? Or do they sort of do what Boston did with Swayman and Ullmark and ice two goalies as more of a tandem?

Woll and a vet for me. But I’m also a big fan of Hildeby, and would love to give him a path to get a shot next year at some games if he continues to play well.

I am concerned about Woll’s durability to be a full time starter but he’s showing glimpses of being an effective time-share goalie.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Go for a tandem.

Try and get someone like Stolarz maybe. A 3x3 type deal maybe.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Go for a tandem.

Ned would also be a target at the right price. They probably need a 3rd like Jones as insurance should one go down. Hard to believe the Canucks 3rd string goalie could outduel Saros and save the Canucks.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It is money time Joey .. stone da Bruins and make some cake .. we need a you know what baby .. you have SO Swayman a few times in your life already so you know da drill .. even in Beantown too .. Leaf Nation is behind you .. my 2 sons going to game .. loads of Leaf Nation there for you

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Veteran goalie as a back up for Woll or a good tandem goalie and try to rock a 50/50 to start. Sammy is gone, yeah.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Woll’s been so good, it’s no longer Joseph or Joey; Henceforth, the name’s Joe Woll.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
New to this market?

If he wins tonight, me and the boys are already on Legends Row carving his statue out
If using the word legacy at this point is appropriate at this point, then things have changed more than my brain can handle in the last 50+ years that I've been a fan. I

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Theyll go for a tandem with a vet signed on a 1-2 year deal + a cheap reclamation vet they hope they can slide past waivers as #3. Dark Horse is it will be Jones but could be someone new. Sammy likely tests the market

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Go for a tandem.

there's no need for a goalie on even a 3 year deal I would expect Hildeby to get a few games next year when one of the goalies are injured, and then hopefully if the year goes well he would be the backup the following year.

sign 2 vet goalies close to league min and start Woll game 1 and plan a 50/32 split if healthy and go from there. those 32 games can be split between the two vets and Hildeby whoever is playing well at the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad