Proposal: Trade proposal thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Tsn said Tavares could be available. NYI is a mess right now with ownership and area.

Alex Galchenyuk
Noah Juulsen
1st round pick
?

Okay, so whats your plan when Tavares walks at the end of the season? Because if that happens then the franchise is seriously in ruins at that point.

I'm saying this because that package is nowhere near what it would take to get Tavares with an extension in place, so i'm assuming we'd be trading for UFA Tavares.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Okay, so whats your plan when Tavares walks at the end of the season? Because if that happens then the franchise is seriously in ruins at that point.

I'm saying this because that package is nowhere near what it would take to get Tavares with an extension in place, so i'm assuming we'd be trading for UFA Tavares.

You have a year to sign him, and can offer an 8th year to his deal. The Habs have 8.5m in cap space + Galchenyuk is at 4.9. That’s basically $13.5 million to work with. They’d be in a better position than 95% of teams.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Seriously, just trade Galchenyuk at the first opportunity. There's no way it's gonna work with Julien and Bergevin.

Putting him at wing with Danault as his center is just a recipe for disaster. Then you demote him to the third line with a couple of scrubs? Can't believe they do this to one of the only two guys who scored 30 goals for us in, what, the last decade?

I'm usually all for players taking some responsibility for their results, but the way they treated Galchenyuk is just unfair. Regardless of where you work or how much you're paid, it's hard to keep your motivation when all you get is negative feedback.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
As I posted a couple of months back, I'd still offer this to the Islanders....

Pacioretty
Galchenyuk
1st

for

Tavares
(on condition he signs a 8 year deal ...8 years $10M AAV)

The middle of our lineup just got significantly better

Tavares
Drouin
Danault
McCarron

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Tsn said Tavares could be available. NYI is a mess right now with ownership and area.

Alex Galchenyuk
Noah Juulsen
1st round pick
?

If Tavares is available... It starts with Galchenyuk for sure. It would be nice if we can do a Poehling, 1st, 1st, +, + type package but it's hard to say if we could pull it off. The issue with the Islanders is they only control Tavares as a UFA rental (8 team no trade list is the exception). I doubt teams offer them what they want for a rental. So then it moves to option 2. Ask Tavares who he would sign a long term deal with and then negotiate with those teams.

Considering the Islanders needs and we negotiate a sign and trade...

- Start with Galchenyuk. For as much as he is undervalued on these boards, he has more value with NHL GM's as they know what he has done and what his potential is.

- 2018 & 2019 1st. These picks don't help us in our 5 year window to win. The islanders have a very good young prospect pool so this is something that they would like as it helps them add to their young core.

- Goaltending prospect. We got them and it's our strength. It's no secrete across the league that Lindgren and McNiven are very good young goaltenders. Give them a choice and I suspect they pick McNiven. Snow would be all over this IMO

- Do we need to add beyond this? Hard to say but we can if we have to. Next in line is Juulsen. We prefer to keep our NHL close to ready prospects but we have depth on RD and we can part ways with Juulsen.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
You have a year to sign him, and can offer an 8th year to his deal. The Habs have 8.5m in cap space + Galchenyuk is at 4.9. That’s basically $13.5 million to work with. They’d be in a better position than 95% of teams.

I agree, but he still could very well walk. Unless he was willing to do a Drouin and sign right after the trade, I'm not sure I would risk losing a 50-60 point forward, our best prospect, and a could be high pick in a strong draft for basically nothing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Seriously, just trade Galchenyuk at the first opportunity. There's no way it's gonna work with Julien and Bergevin.

Putting him at wing with Danault as his center is just a recipe for disaster. Then you demote him to the third line with a couple of scrubs? Can't believe they do this to one of the only two guys who scored 30 goals for us in, what, the last decade?

I'm usually all for players taking some responsibility for their results, but the way they treated Galchenyuk is just unfair. Regardless of where you work or how much you're paid, it's hard to keep your motivation when all you get is negative feedback.

I'd rather play Galchenyuk on the RW with Patch and Drouin so we can showcase his goal scoring abilities. Then you trade him when you get value in return. Trading him and accepting a market value loss is not something I would do.

luthar

Nov 29, 2011
Mtl
I agree, but he still could very well walk. Unless he was willing to do a Drouin and sign right after the trade, I'm not sure I would risk losing a 50-60 point forward, our best prospect, and a could be high pick in a strong draft for basically nothing.

I think this is a sine qua non condition for his offer.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
I would throw the moon into any trade for Tavares. He is worth it
I would say nobody would be untouchable outside of Drouin and that is only because he has been announced as the next great French Canadian star.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Islanders said they are pushing back negotiations after January. He could definitely be available. All depends how much are we willing to give up. We have the cap space next summer and could make him a crazy offer come July while keeping all our assets

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Islanders said they are pushing back negotiations after January. He could definitely be available. All depends how much are we willing to give up. We have the cap space next summer and could make him a crazy offer come July while keeping all our assets

I don't think the Islanders will trade Tavares by TDL. They will do what Tampa did with Stamkos and try negotiate until a deal is reached (hopefully for them).

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

I doubt it’s a high pick if the team’s 1-2 centres are Tavares-Drouin. You’re not just losing a 50-60 point player, you’re gaining a 70-80 point centre. You have him for a year and have a real shot at a Cup. There would still be cap space to get more deadline help. It’s a no brainer for me.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I don't think the Islanders will trade Tavares by TDL. They will do what Tampa did with Stamkos and try negotiate until a deal is reached (hopefully for them).

Tampa had a reason to keep and convince him, the Islanders don't. Heck they don't even know where they're going to play in 2-3 yeas from now. If JT is not signed by TD day, he is gone even if the Isles are in a playoffs position IMO. They would be nuts not too but that's my opinion.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
If I’m Tavares and got traded to Montreal.
I mean With Price in goal
Weber on d
30 goal sniper in Pacioretty on my line and a potential superstar drouin I would resign with Montreal if it’s like a 12 mil per season.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Tampa had a reason to keep and convince him, the Islanders don't. Heck they don't even know where they're going to play in 2-3 yeas from now. If JT is not signed by TD day, he is gone even if the Isles are in a playoffs position IMO. They would be nuts not too but that's my opinion.

If the Islanders want to convince their fan base and sponsors to support the team, they better find a way to keep JT. I'm sure the team will stay in the NY area. They may not end up signing him but it's a gamble that they will have to take.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Not the same situation at all, the only issue with Tampa and Stamkos was dollars. The problem with Tavares and NYI is not the money, they are willing to pay him whatever he wants. The problem is the direction of the team. They already offered him a great contract and he didn't sign it.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
I'm not usually one to try and predict anything or drum up rumours, but something major is definitely happening with this team, and soon. All that cap space, Galchenyuk, all these good goalie prospects when we have one of the best in the world tied up long term...

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Not the same situation at all, the only issue with Tampa and Stamkos was dollars. The problem with Tavares and NYI is not the money, they are willing to pay him whatever he wants. The problem is the direction of the team. They already offered him a great contract and he didn't sign it.
I understand that it's a different situation. What I'm trying to say is that the owners/ management will have to find a way to try and convince him to stay. This organisation cannot afford to lose JT is all I'm saying and I think they know that.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Habs are doing a great job of destroying Chucky’s value at the moment. IF they were smart, they’d have him on Patch and Drouin’s right wing on the top line. Pump some points and wow media. Easier to dump him later for a better return than playing him with McCarron, Holland, Scherbak etc.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

I would try to get Galchenyuk back on track by putting Jagr on his line. I have a feeling he'd click better with Jagr than Hemsky. But both could be in our top 13 forwards.

Pacioretty Drouin Gallagher
Hemsky Galchenyuk Jagr
Hudon Plekanec Lehkonen
Byron Danault Shaw
Mitchell, De la Rose

Is that not a better looking lineup?
Get er done!

Even if Jagr has slowed down, we still have a fast team around him. And if it doesn't work, we part ways.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I doubt it’s a high pick if the team’s 1-2 centres are Tavares-Drouin. You’re not just losing a 50-60 point player, you’re gaining a 70-80 point centre. You have him for a year and have a real shot at a Cup. There would still be cap space to get more deadline help. It’s a no brainer for me.

This is where we disagree. I don't believe the team is a + Tavares - Galchenyuk away from completely fixing this teams deep seeded offensive woes, let alone a + Tavares -Galchenyuk away from winning a cup, as good as Tavares is. I think there are fundamental issues with the makeup of this team. The defense is fubar'd as far as I'm concerned, and no deadline addition will take that d corps and turn it into a contenders defense. Not happening, and even with Tavares I don't think we'd have the horses up front to run and gun it.

It basically boils down to me thinking this team just isn't very good. I don't think we'd win the cup if we made that trade, and I honestly think Tavares would probably walk at the end of the season. At this point id rather just wait and try and sign him as a UFA then pay the huge price for him in a trade. Again, if he agrees to sign here after the trade is made, then that's a whole different story.

At this point I'm looking to the future with this team. I'm already over the current regime and team makeup. I'm not really supportive of the idea of trading three big parts that could contribute to a rebuild in order for one last gasp at a cup for this broken team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad