Proposal: Trade proposal thread - Trades are Needed---Who goes 1st?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I always thought that was obvious but people like to complain. It’s like people think he’s 30. He’s 22, asked to play a new position with zero support offensively. I think he’s doing remarkably well.

Damn that's some low expectations you have there.

I know he's playing a new position... a position that he shouldn't even be playing for that matter but to say that he's doing remarkably well.. That I don't know. He's clearly a skill player but he's struggling out there, especially at even strength. He had Pacioretty and Galchenyuk, our best goal scorers and none of them seems to click with him. I'm not blaming Drouin.. just saying that it's not like he didn't have any good wingers to play with. Pacioretty sucks. Galchenyuk sucks.. while Drouin is playing remarkably well? Based on what?

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
If Bergevin was sharp, he’d try to scoop Karlsson out of Ottawa. If you deal them Weber, who’s on a controlled contract at a decent cap hit that drops significantly after a couple of years, you would be in a very nice position. Melnyk might be interested just for having a controlled asset. Habs would then re-sign Karlsson to a big extension.

If you went ahead with the earlier deals of:

T0 Carolina: Alex Galchenyuk, 2018 2nd Rounder

To Montreal: Noah Hanifin

To Pittsburgh: Tomas Plekeanec, 25 % retained

To Montreal: 2018 3rd Round pick

And kept Pacioretty, you would have enough cap space to acquire Tavares in free agency. Can you imagine? The Habs would theoretically have the best goaltender, defenseman and Center in the world all at the same time! Been a very long time since we could say that!!!

Lines might look like:

Pacioretty - Tavares - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Drouin - Shaw
Hudon - Danault - Byron
Deslauriers - De La Rose - Carr

Hanifin - Karlsson
Schlemko - Petry
Jerabek - Benn
Not Alzner

Price
Lindgren

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
If Bergevin was sharp, he’d try to scoop Karlsson out of Ottawa. If you deal them Weber, who’s on a controlled contract at a decent cap hit that drops significantly after a couple of years, you would be in a very nice position. Melnyk might be interested just for having a controlled asset. Habs would then re-sign Karlsson to a big extension.

If you went ahead with the earlier deals of:

T0 Carolina: Alex Galchenyuk, 2018 2nd Rounder

To Montreal: Noah Hanifin

To Pittsburgh: Tomas Plekeanec, 25 % retained

To Montreal: 2018 3rd Round pick

And kept Pacioretty, you would have enough cap space to acquire Tavares in free agency. Can you imagine? The Habs would theoretically have the best goaltender, defenseman and Center in the world all at the same time! Been a very long time since we could say that!!!

Lines might look like:

Pacioretty - Tavares - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Drouin - Shaw
Hudon - Danault - Byron
Deslauriers - De La Rose - Carr

Hanifin - Karlsson
Schlemko - Petry
Jerabek - Benn
Not Alzner

Price
Lindgren

I've thought about a Weber - Karlsson trade as well. It fits Melnyk's cheapness to a T.

Starting next year Weber's salary drops to $6m from his current $12m. His cap hit wouldn't be an issue for them since they won't be a cap team. They get a good D in return who can mentor Chabot at an affordable price.

The only issue is Karlsson's health. I don't think he's fully healed from his off season ankle injury. He probably rushed back.

We'll see how he is in the second half, which is usually his best half anyway.

But, yeah, Melnyk gets a D signed long term who can be the new captain for that franchise.

It's a summer trade, if I let myself believe it could really happen.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Any chance Dallas wants to acquire Patches for Honka or Heiskanen as main targets? Shooting too high for us maybe?

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
we got all this damn cap space and the cap is going to rise to around 80-82. trade for swedish jesus then re-sign him to a contract for this life, and the next should he die and be resurected.

MB's made it clear we don't need centers, so f*** it, get swedish jesus. have like, 20 mil in 2 guys on d, then challenge yourself to have less than 5 mil to fill all center positions! come on MB! aim high!

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I always thought that was obvious but people like to complain. It’s like people think he’s 30. He’s 22, asked to play a new position with zero support offensively. I think he’s doing remarkably well.
Remarkably well? He's awful defensively, can't win faceoffs, doesn't generate jack shit offensively besides his 1 good powerplay out of 20 of them. It's incredible how people go absolutely insane when Galchenyuk is at 43% on the faceoffs or whatever while they don't really care if Drouin is dead last in the league for faceoffs. He's even worse than Galchenyuk defensively. And he doesn't generate nearly the same amount of offense as him. I liked the trade, but he better have a whole new gear in his game, because he has been very disappointing.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I've thought about a Weber - Karlsson trade as well. It fits Melnyk's cheapness to a T.

Starting next year Weber's salary drops to $6m from his current $12m. His cap hit wouldn't be an issue for them since they won't be a cap team. They get a good D in return who can mentor Chabot at an affordable price.

The only issue is Karlsson's health. I don't think he's fully healed from his off season ankle injury. He probably rushed back.

We'll see how he is in the second half, which is usually his best half anyway.

But, yeah, Melnyk gets a D signed long term who can be the new captain for that franchise.

It's a summer trade, if I let myself believe it could really happen.

Assuming we did outbid other teams enough for the sense to gamble on trading him in the division, do you think he'd extend to play for a GM like MB (and a coach like Julien)?

I'd be skeptical... Players talk, and MB's antics with PK, Markov and Radulov don't bode well for us attracting elite offensive talents... With money to spend and big needs last summer, we ended up with an overpaid Alzner!

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Remarkably well? He's awful defensively, can't win faceoffs, doesn't generate jack **** offensively besides his 1 good powerplay out of 20 of them. It's incredible how people go absolutely insane when Galchenyuk is at 43% on the faceoffs or whatever while they don't really care if Drouin is dead last in the league for faceoffs. He's even worse than Galchenyuk defensively. And he doesn't generate nearly the same amount of offense as him. I liked the trade, but he better have a whole new gear in his game, because he has been very disappointing.

The only reason he looks like a Top 6 player is because they put him with JD. Otherwise he was as impactful as Froese.

I also don’t understand why you have to bring up Galchenyuk, he wasn’t part of this discussion.

Last edited:

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Can someone please tell my why there's reason to believe (hope) Bergevin would trade Weber for Karlsson??

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Mr Molson, that MB plan is to compete now,

so that means what MB? you are going to trade chuck for 2 3rd players and grind are way to the playoffs,

He is going to screw this up, this team will be a bottom feeder with 12 3rd line players,

I guess time to watch the 70"s film, watch a real team, with a real GM

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
plus watch in the next few games one of the "potential" habs to be traded gets hurt,

why go this route, toss the towel for this season, and move patches and plec's for picks and youth.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Remarkably well? He's awful defensively, can't win faceoffs, doesn't generate jack **** offensively besides his 1 good powerplay out of 20 of them. It's incredible how people go absolutely insane when Galchenyuk is at 43% on the faceoffs or whatever while they don't really care if Drouin is dead last in the league for faceoffs. He's even worse than Galchenyuk defensively. And he doesn't generate nearly the same amount of offense as him. I liked the trade, but he better have a whole new gear in his game, because he has been very disappointing.

He isn't. Drouin shows knowledge of his defensive assignments that Galchenyuk appears to be completely unable to even fathom as he runs around looking for what he should be doing in regards to that aspect of his game at C. Beyond that, at least, Drouin shows some hustle to attempt to fulfill those assignments.

Drouin is not perfect, defensively, but he has gotten better already and there is hints of promise that he can still become better in that aspect of his game.

Galchenyuk has shown zero son of improving or being able to improve, defensively, in 5 years.

Big difference.

That said, ideally, neither Drouin nor Galchenyuk play C and the Habs have two genuine top-6 Cs that they can play with and Danault is playing in a 3rd C role with two-way wingers that have genuine offensive upside as well.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
For next season:

Trade: Max for Nuge (+?)
UFA: Pleks out, Marchessault in

Drouin - Nuge - Galchenyuk
Lehkonen - Marchessault - Gallagher
Byron - Danault - Shaw
Hudon - DLR - McCarron

Still way too soft, but in the interest of keeping it simple, going with 2 moves i could see happening. At least it gets most players in their proper positions.

I could also see something like a Galchenyuk for Boone Jenner trade to add grit.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
i am fairly certain habs would be on karlsson no trade list.....no reason why he would want to come here

Agreed. Karlsson does not want to leave the Sens but he will if he don't get paid. If he does leave, he won't want to play in our division against the Sens so many times per year

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Drouin - Nuge - Galchenyuk

2.1-butter-in-pan.jpg

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I would say that we would have to add to a 32 year old Weber to get a 27 year old Karlsson, I mean what GM is dumb enough to take the older declining player without further compensation?

What gm is dumb enough to want to trade a defenseman who put up 71pts last year and had a tremendous playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad