Not open for further replies.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I doubt the Sabres take that deal.

Beaulieu + 1st is the minimum IMO.

That being said, I'm not that big on Kulikov.

Beaulieu = Girgensons (2 very similar player with their contract situation, arbitration eligible this summer, both paid 1M this year, both were first round pick in the 10-20 rang).

Kulikov was just traded this summer for a 2nd round and 3rd round pick. I don't see him being traded for a first.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I doubt the Sabres take that deal.

Beaulieu + 1st is the minimum IMO.

That being said, I'm not that big on Kulikov.

I suspect you may be right. All depends if the Sabres are high on Beaulieu because the Habs 1st round pick will be a later round one (projected anyways). It does look like the Sabres could use LD or LW help in their young core. I'd also give them a choice to pick one of Ghetto/Hudon/Carr.

Kulikov plays bottom pairing. I love his grit and he plays solid D. Sucks to give up on Beaulieu but you got to give to get.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Beaulieu = Girgensons (2 very similar player with their contract situation, arbitration eligible this summer, both paid 1M this year, both were first round pick in the 10-20 rang).

Kulikov was just traded this summer for a 2nd round and 3rd round pick. I don't see him being traded for a first.

Don't forget Pysyk who was in the trade. And let's not forget that Kulikov, similarly to Hanzal, is one of the few rentals out there so there well be a big bidding war for him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why not Forghetto this guy when it comes to fake trades?

Not sure I understand what your saying completely... but he doesn't fit with the Habs IMO. He likes to play RW and is really only effective in a top 6 guy role. Habs have McCarron and Scherback in the system. Ghetto can be traded and deserves a shot on a young team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Don't forget Pysyk who was in the trade. And let's not forget that Kulikov, similarly to Hanzal, is one of the few rentals out there so there well be a big bidding war for him.

That's the thing... if you want a UFA guy now well before the trade deadline... your going to have to overpay. I do like the Girgensons/Kulikov combo though. It addresses areas of need and also won't costs the Habs a huge amount.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Would you say the market is more favorable to rentals this year, on account of the expansion draft? I mean, who will want to pay up for players they'll end up scrambling to find a spot for on the team's protection list, unless of course, a player who needs to be protected goes the other way.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Not sure I understand what your saying completely... but he doesn't fit with the Habs IMO. He likes to play RW and is really only effective in a top 6 guy role. Habs have McCarron and Scherback in the system. Ghetto can be traded and deserves a shot on a young team.

I'm suggesting that he has zero value on the market yet he continues to find his way into trading permutations. Any team could have had him for free a few weeks ago. He's not an asset to anyone.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'm suggesting that he has zero value on the market yet he continues to find his way into trading permutations. Any team could have had him for free a few weeks ago. He's not an asset to anyone.

Eagerness to trade liabilities abound. :naughty:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

His value is low and was passed up in waivers. However I don't think he passes through waivers twice without being claimed. It's about timing and although Ghetto's stock has fallen, he has some value in a package deal. Not much value By himself though.

He can skate fast and has good hands with some offense. Some teams will bite on this depending on price to acquire.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Would you say the market is more favorable to rentals this year, on account of the expansion draft? I mean, who will want to pay up for players they'll end up scrambling to find a spot for on the team's protection list, unless of course, a player who needs to be protected goes the other way.

Expansion draft will no dought affect the trade market. Prospects that don't need to be protected (2 years or less of AHL/NHL) and draft picks will be what the asking price is from many GM's.

But I believe the point of his post was there is not many good UFA rentals this year. Because of this, the price for the actual guys available will be high. Supply and demand.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
MB should target Iginla/Jagr + Hanzel + Oduya.

I think between our 2nds/1st round and Ghetto/Hudon/Reway type of prospects that should be enough to get it done.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
His value is low and was passed up in waivers. However I don't think he passes through waivers twice without being claimed. It's about timing and although Ghetto's stock has fallen, he has some value in a package deal. Not much value By himself though.

He can skate fast and has good hands. Some teams will bite on this depending on price to acquire.

That's just the thing, it's very low value if he even has any. Why bother with such low value when someone is just not a viable asset? There are too many glaring holes to his game, I'd say he's a throw-in at best, not someone another team would be asking to include. Just the impression I get.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Eagerness to trade liabilities abound. :naughty:

There are guys who have zero value, like Ghetto, and then you have the DDs of this world, who have negative value. ;)

TheAntiPrice

Oct 25, 2009
Montreal, QC
Oilers weren't ready to let go of Drai even for PK Subban, what makes some of you think that they would be interested in trading their second best player for anything we offer now when they look to be part of the playoff picture is beyond me.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's just the thing, it's very low value if he even has any. Why bother with such low value when someone is just not a viable asset? There are too many glaring holes to his game, I'd say he's a throw-in at best, not someone another team would be asking to include. Just the impression I get.

This is true at this point. But if I was packaging up a deal It would be..

1st or 2nd round pick + Beaulieu or Gally + one of Hudon/Carr/Ghetto. Not sure what you get but that's how I would start when trying to get that 2nd line center. Ghetto is a throw in but let the other GM pick from one of Hudon/Ghetto/Carr.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Expansion draft will no dought affect the trade market. Prospects that don't need to be protected (2 years or less of AHL/NHL) and draft picks will be what the asking price is from many GM's.

That makes sense this year, especially for teams who are bursting at the seams with a good talent base.

But I believe the point of his post was there is not many good UFA rentals this year. Because of this, the price for the actual guys available will be high. Supply and demand.

I hadn't looked at the potential UFA pool. How bad is it?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This is true at this point. But if I was packaging up a deal It would be..

1st or 2nd round pick + Beaulieu or Gally + one of Hudon/Carr/Ghetto. Not sure what you get but that's how I would start when trying to get that 2nd line center. He's a throw in but let the other GM pick from one of Hudon/Ghetto/Carr.

I don't even know that it's a choice between those three. It would have to be between Hudon and Carr, even if Carr has been struggling this year and Hudon, well, Habs management don't seem to be in a hurry to give him too many chances even if he is expansion draft eligible. You give anyone a choice and 99.99999% of the time, they won't pick Ghetto.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oilers weren't ready to let go of Drai even for PK Subban, what makes some of you think they would be interested in trading him anything we offer now is beyond me.

Seriously... the Oilers would of not done a Subban for Drai deal straight up? Who you trying to fool? It's more like the Habs wanted a package return which included Drai+D prospect+something else and both teams couldn't reach a deal. Habs also could not afford to trade Subban without getting a NHL ready D prospect in return too!

The only piece the Habs have for Drai is Sergachev but Habs need to add more to the deal and the Oilers appear (Oiler fans anyways) to think they can get a Subban/Karlssson type return. Truth is in the middle but thanks for the "out of the blue" comment "tiger"

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't even know that it's a choice between those three. It would have to be between Hudon and Carr, even if Carr has been struggling this year and Hudon, well, Habs management don't seem to be in a hurry to give him too many chances even if he is expansion draft eligible. You give anyone a choice and 99.99999% of the time, they won't pick Ghetto.

I don't think i agree. His value is not 0 or close to it. Thats a bit of over exaggeration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad