Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Part 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
If everything goes right for Pelletier he will be on Toffoli level.

With Toffoli being signed for 4.25M for 2 seasons I'm not sure Id trade him unless Calgary overpays.

Pelletier is a good prospect but Toffoli is our top point producer.

37 goals and 70 points in 87 games with us.

Pelletier + or no deal.

Reactions: calder candidate

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
That's a weird take...

A player of Toffoli's age, productivity & cap hit/contract should & would only get traded for a top prospect.

Pelletier being, arguably (I follow flames closely, I think many in their org would still consider Zary as having the higher NHL impact ceiling) the flames top prospect is one thing... but he's not a blue chip or can't miss elite prospect.

He's exactly the kind of prospect a toffoli type asset would require in trade imo.

Consider Patches return a few years back... a better prospect in Suzuki + 2nd... toffoli isn't Patches level, but he's the notch right below & on a better deal (cap % & term)...

Toffoli is a 50-60 pt forward who is turning 30 in a couple of months. He will start declining within a couple of years, so it makes no sense for the flames to trade Pelletier, who could be a top 6 forward in the very near future and for a very long time.

A late 1st + 2nd is what I would expect Toffoli to return at max. From the flames perspective, Pelletier should be worth more than that since he has been developing well and could be in the nhl as soon as next season.

Reactions: Mandalorian

Dutronc

May 14, 2018
I just wrote this post on the main

"If I'm Kent Hughes this is a guy I target and offer NYR help for the playoff.
I think they dont need defense but I can see a 3 way trade with someone who need and have centre to offer.

Like :

Mtl : Kravtsov
NYR : mid 20's forward help / center prospect.
3rd team who want to push : Ben Chiarot.

Denisenko need change I think with Florida. This team is linked with Chiarot. Anyway. "

I'm still high on Vitali and no way a late 1st (if we're lucky) will have the upside of Kravtsov.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
This article makes a Brad Marchand comparaison:
Jakob Pelletier Scouting Report: 2019 NHL Draft #28 -

Generally he is seen as a two-way, skilled and fast top 6 forward potential.

Here, it reports that some scouts saw Yzerman two-way play and leadership abilities in the young Pelletier:

https://thehockeywriters.com/jakob-pelletier-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Not sure how accurate are these articles.

Like any first round (even top 50) prospect, the "ceiling" & "comparable" comments don't mean very much....

Yzerman had 87pts (leading his team in scoring) in his rookie D+1 year.

Pelletier is in his D+3 season & has yet to play an NHL game.

They aren't comparable & at this point his ceiling, even best case, isn't anywhere near HOF Stevie Y lol

Marchand type later blooming elite player is a more realistic trajectory... but Marchand is a rare breed & as dislikable as he may be, an athlete with incredible drive, focus and determination.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Toffoli is a 50-60 pt forward who is turning 30 in a couple of months. He will start declining within a couple of years, so it makes no sense for the flames to trade Pelletier, who could be a top 6 forward in the very near future and for a very long time.

A late 1st + 2nd is what I would expect Toffoli to return at max. From the flames perspective, Pelletier should be worth more than that since he has been developing well and could be in the nhl as soon as next season.

Guess how old Patches was when we traded him...

& that aside, I think your assessment of the flames is way off.

I would bet They won't flinch at moving Pelletier for a piece they think helps them solidify a cup run this year, even less so if the piece will bolster them beyond this year.

Contending windows are a factor, and the Flames absolutely see themselves in one right now.

We'll see how the deadline plays out... but frankly, I would be willing to bet that if it were a 1:1 discussion, Hughes is more likely to be the one saying no/wanting more than vice versa.

Past deadlines highlight that prospects like Pelletier (himself a "late 1st", one that has yet to play an NHL game in his D+3 season) are regularly on the table for playoff run/"win now" upgrades.

I think you underestimate the value toffoli represents & over value what Pelletier is worth.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I watched a video of these 2 The Hockey News guys speaking confidently that Montreal would be fortunate to move Petry without taking on a bad contract. So he is worth 0 at best. Of course lots of poster on these boards are also saying that.

Now I don't know who those THN guys were ,but if they are accurate, then Petry goes nowhere.

No chance did he just forget how to play hockey. The guy has just thrown in the towel and is being a sook. I don't care about his family being in Michigan. Men travel to Alberta half the year away from their families and do dangerous work to support their wives and children. So cry me a river Petry.

If he wants out then he better get his head on straight and bring up his value. Otherwise will see him in camp and he better have a better game next year, or otherwise he can aid us tank again.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I watched a video of these 2 The Hockey News guys speaking confidently that Montreal would be fortunate to move Petry without taking on a bad contract. So he is worth 0 at best. Of course lots of poster on these boards are also saying that.

Now I don't know who those THN guys were ,but if they are accurate, then Petry goes nowhere.

No chance did he just forget how to play hockey. The guy has just thrown in the towel and is being a sook. I don't care about his family being in Michigan. Men travel to Alberta half the year away from their families and do dangerous work to support their wives and children. So cry me a river Petry.

If he wants out then he better get his head on straight and bring up his value. Otherwise will see him in camp and he better have a better game next year, or otherwise he can aid us tank again.

I’m fairly confident that Petry will resume the form of his prior years or close to that, with MSL on board.

Reactions: Andrei79

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I’m fairly confident that Petry will resume the form of his prior years or close to that, with MSL on board.

Somebody needs to get into that guys head and give it a shake. Weber would be able to snap him back , but hopefully MSL does it.

Reactions: Runner77

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I think Florida is a realistic trade partner for a few reasons. Won't be surprised to see Cannoli and/or Chiarot there in a ~month.

Did Hoffman see himself out of town in Florida? He had great seasons there, could be a tertiary candidate

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Somebody needs to get into that guys head and give it a shake. Weber would be able to snap him back , but hopefully MSL does it.

Edmundson coming back healthy would be enough, tnat and the COVID mandates being removed shortly so his family considers returning near him in Montreal.

If Petry could give his head a shake, Montreal would be in pretty good shape defensively next year:

Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - young RHD acquired via trade (i.e. Schneider or Lundkvist)
Harris - Savard

Reactions: yianik

Draft

Jan 23, 2013

Needing to exchange contracts does not mean zero value. He could have significant value if salaries are worked out between teams.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Bergevin kep the same guys who couldn't get us to the playoffs, and gave them all generous raises without the aid of the cap going up. Bergevin got worse with time......glad we fired his a$$.
The biggest issue is that he made all these questionable signing to save is job short term clear never thinking he actually have to deal with the consequences…

Reactions: BLONG7

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

I kind of agree with your value but the thing is we don’t have to trade Toffoli he is performing and is contract is great… if we wait we will still get a second and a propect in two years so there isn’t any reason we should trade for less than a deal that we can’t refuse.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Guess how old Patches was when we traded him...

& that aside, I think your assessment of the flames is way off.

I would bet They won't flinch at moving Pelletier for a piece they think helps them solidify a cup run this year, even less so if the piece will bolster them beyond this year.

Contending windows are a factor, and the Flames absolutely see themselves in one right now.

We'll see how the deadline plays out... but frankly, I would be willing to bet that if it were a 1:1 discussion, Hughes is more likely to be the one saying no/wanting more than vice versa.

Past deadlines highlight that prospects like Pelletier (himself a "late 1st", one that has yet to play an NHL game in his D+3 season) are regularly on the table for playoff run/"win now" upgrades.

I think you underestimate the value toffoli represents & over value what Pelletier is worth.

Maybe if it was a contender, they would do it. Flames are a bubble team at best. They didnt make the playoffs last year, and with Gaudreau possibly leaving as a ufa, they could very well not make it the next few years.

Looking just at his stats, Pelletier has been developping as well as the flames could hope for. PPG in the wjc, and now PPG in the ahl as a 20 year old. In the ahl, he's scoring at the same rate as Boldy and Newhook, and doing better than Turcotte and Krebs.

Sam Reinhart who is far more valuable was traded for a late 1st + Levi (7th round draft pick who had played only 7 games since being drafted) last summer.

Our disagreement basically comes down to how much Pelletier is worth. If Pelletier = late 1st round value, then yes we should be able to acquire him or a similar prospect for Toffoli. However, I don't believe that to be the case.

I could see us getting a Samoskevich or a Denisenko for Toffoli. About the same ceiling as Pelletier, but much less of a sure thing. The panthers would also be more willing to trade their good prospects considering they are a contender and are already stacked in offense at the nhl level.

Last edited:

psychonaut

Sep 4, 2003
He's on an AHL contract, not an NHL one. Montreal would need to sign him and there are probably cap reasons why they can't.
I understand there a limite, but could you not sign him, then terminate the contract when others goalies come back?? Then you still have room for Harris.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Our disagreement basically comes down to how much Pelletier is worth. If Pelletier = late 1st round value, then yes we should be able to acquire him or a similar prospect for Toffoli. However, I don't believe that to be the case.
Thing is, a late 1st + is a price for a rental Toffoli. He's not a rental and his cap hit is a bargain. He's also our only winger with a proven chemistry with Suzuki. If the Flames want to add him, they have to make it worthwhile for us. That means they'd have to part with an asset they would otherwise prefer to keep. If they don't, then they are not really serious about Toffoli.

Same thing with Lehkonen. His rental price is probably a 2nd +, but why would he trade him for that now, while he's still a RFA?

Reactions: Milhouse40

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I think trade likely all we make this deadline. Chiarot. Hughes seems very patience. Not a mover and shaker like Bergs
I think half this team will be different next season. Lots of moves to make and they seem to know it. Expect a Gainey like off season with a ton of movement.

Reactions: Draft

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Needing to exchange contracts does not mean zero value. He could have significant value if salaries are worked out between teams.

I think in what I saw they were suggesting a bad contract coming back. But you are right, if it was was good player at a not crazy contract that is value coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad