Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Gearing Up for the Off-season Editon

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
As dumb as he is he will not do it
He is arrogant and a type of person that will never come out and say I made a mistake
But I do think he has learned and will not deal another franchise D away

Fool me once, shame on you,
Fool me twice, shame on me,
Fool me three times for a franchise defensemen, call it a Bergevin special.

Reactions: groovejuice

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Assuming Brisebois wants the job. He's a pretty popular name for potential GM openings, he can afford to be choosy.

I don't know how many GMs are on the hot seat. Chiarelli? I don't think that's good fit for Brisebois. Oilers might just make somebody from the old boys club, like Messier, GM. Fletcher if the Wild go out in the 1st round might be out. Garth Snow? Hard to see Brisebois wanting that job. Montreal or any team has to wait until the end of the season to bring him in. That's a quick turnover before the draft. I think because he has worked for Molson and the Canadiens he would have a higher comfort level than elsewhere. I could see him being hired, while Bergevin is relegated into the faceless role Dudley currently occupies in the organization, to make the transition easier.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
If Fenton becomes GM of Carolina, and that would be their guy I think, still a chance to get Brisebois. With the way things are degenerating with Bergevin around, I wonder if it would not be a good time to bring Bob Gainey back as president of the team. His name and number in the building, he represents the Canadiens, with honour at every level. With that kind of honour back in the franchise, a guy who can walk into a room full of players and say something inspirational to them, and someone who understands the game, is that the person that would be ideal to insulate Molson from management?
Ever since Bob Gainey lost his daughter out in the ocean, his desire in hockey waned. He isn’t coming back to the Habs.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Don't understand the interest for Tavares to be honest, not with the state of this team.
I get it on a purely fan perspective, he'd be really fun to watch. But on a team building point of view it makes no sense right now. It's too late.

Let's say they do sign him this summer. We'd still have to acquire a 2C, #2D and #4D. Not only that, Bergevin would have to get them before Weber is too old to keep up as a #1, which could be anywhere from two to three years from now.

In comes the Price deal kicking in and the likely Pacioretty extension. Any sort of cap flexibility evaporates as we'd have over 35M (44% of the projected 80M cap) locked up on just four players. Then there's the utter lack of quality assets needed to acquire those other pieces. How is Bergevin, let alone a decent GM supposed to make this work?

Reactions: mariolemieux66

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Don't understand the interest for Tavares to be honest, not with the state of this team.
I get it on a purely fan perspective, he'd be really fun to watch. But on a team building point of view it makes no sense right now. It's too late.

Let's say they do sign him this summer. We'd still have to acquire a 2C, #2D and #4D. Not only that, Bergevin would have to get them before Weber is too old to keep up as a #1, which could be anywhere from two to three years from now.

In comes the Price deal kicking in and the likely Pacioretty extension. Any sort of cap flexibility evaporates as we'd have over 35M (44% of the projected 80M cap) locked up on just four players. Then there's the utter lack of quality assets needed to acquire those other pieces. How is Bergevin, let alone a decent GM supposed to make this work?

The only people who want/think we could get Tavares, are those who are unwilling to be bad for a few years to get better. It's really just their minds protecting themselves from the cold dark reality of the Habs.. they want to believe they can compete as soon as next year, in reality we are 3-5 years away, depending on how the lottery balls fall for us and the direction the new GM takes when Bergevin is fired after another debacle next season.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
If we are going to rebuild, I would call Hextall and offer Weber for Morgan frost + one of their firsts, Frost is insanely skilled while Flyers already have Couturier and Patrick down the middle..

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
The age factor is important to look at. But we're not talking about a Subban for Weber here, where Bergevin gives up 4 of Subban's prime years 27-31 for 31 year old Weber. It would be trading Dahlin's 18 - 22 year old years. Those are still developmental years. We're not sure what Dahlin will do in those years. Seth Jones and Hedman didn't really become stars until 22-23 years old. Erik Karlesson didn't take off until the 4th year after he was drafted.

Most scouts and experts have Dahlin being able to contribute, significantly, as soon as next year.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
19 year old blueliner that's on pace for 42 pts. Subban at 20 put up 38 pts in 77 games.

I was being facetious when I posted that.

But now that we’re on it, he’s struggled greatly after a very hot start on a team with the most prolific offence. So yes he had huge amount of potential but he’s not terribly good at actual defence yet.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
19 year old blueliner that's on pace for 42 pts. Subban at 20 put up 38 pts in 77 games.

Subban was 5th in scoring on his team, and only 9 pts behind the 2nd best scorer.

Sergachev is 9th in scoring on his team. Soon to be 10th since Palat is 4 pts behinds with 20 less games played.

He's 54 pts behind their top scorer, and 45 pts behind their 2nd top scorer.

He’s out scoring our number one Center.

Except hes not.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
So Sergachev is a franchise defenseman now?
Now? No. In the future? Maybe, Maybe not.

For now he's the 2nd scorer on D for the best team in the NHL. He'll finish the year with 35+points at 19 years old. Maybe he never gets better and stays a 35 points D all of his career.

Meanwhile in Montreal we are penciling 24 years old Mike Rielly on our first f***ing D pair... Mindboggling

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Now? No. In the future? Maybe, Maybe not.

For now he's the 2nd scorer on D for the best team in the NHL. He'll finish the year with 35+points at 19 years old. Maybe he never gets better and stays a 35 points D all of his career.

Meanwhile in Montreal we are penciling 24 years old Mike Rielly on our first ****ing D pair... Mindboggling

To be fair we are also calling Shea Weber washed up and untradeable... we are all over the place here!!

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I was researching a bit today, and I've kind of circled the wagon abit. I think if a trade came up that allowed Bergevin, whomever, to trade Patches for Borgstrom it is worth revisiting.

Patches would definitely sign long term for the Panthers. His Russian wife could become a tennis coach in Florida.

Two free agent signings, big ones, Stastny and Perron fill big holes. Stastny addresses the centre weakness. Perron, RH shooters.

Sign Plekanec to be a defensive leader. There isn't one in Montreal. Until one is developed, which is an opportunity afforded to Borgstrom in this case.

Galchenyuk-Stastny-Gallagher is a power line.

Hudon-Drouin-Perron is a skating line, Hudon can do some dirty work for the two more talented players.

Lehkonen-Danault-Shaw is a tenacious checking line.

Byron-Plekanec are your PK leaders. Give a kid like Scherbak, who is too good now for the AHL, a chance to move around the lineup, start with them, can replace Hudon, or others in the lineup.

Deslauriers is tough, but there are few players like him in the NHL anymore. Toughness is more of a team element. Fighting is pretty much obsolete, playing a role is more fundamental, and hitting is not as important, in the intimidating sense. I mean the toughest player in Tampa is Callahan, or Paquette, they are doing fine. In Nashville, Emelin is probably their toughest player, maybe Watson. DeLaRose is more of a reserve than a regular.

Borgstrom can be developed in one year to replace Plekanec, as good teams do with young players. Ikonen his country man can join him in Laval. Those two would profit playing with a more seasoned vet like Rychel.

Poehling too doesn't get thrown to the wolves. He can develop at his own pace without pressure.

I'm a comfortable with

Mete-Weber
Reilly-Petry
Alzner-Juulsen

On d. With the forward talent amassed, a mid-season trade could address the issue.

All draft picks get maintained and developed, which puts more in the cupboards going forward.

I think the change in players would probably propulse Montreal into competition with the other top 4 teams in the division. Health is always a determining factor, as is performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad