Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Gearing Up for the Off-season Editon

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
It is a dilemna. Dahlin might be better at his position than Mckinnon, but it can be argued center is a more important position for winning a cup. McKinnon has the potential to be a hall of famer too.

Plus, Timmins has already drafted McDonagh, Subban, Sergachev, Streit. He knows how to find number one dmen, plus Juulsen and Mete. He hasn't found any number 1 centers.

I think I take McKinnon, Mathews, and McDavid over Dahlin, but not Monahan or Sheiffle. Barzal is another tough call. I lean towards Dahlin.

You keep dahlin, he’s cost controlled for a much longer period of time.

Even if you think Mack is top 5 at his position, and he very well may be... the 5yr difference between the two is huge. I wouldn’t expect an idiot like Bergevin to let that stop him though, as history would indicate.

Reactions: shutehinside

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
You keep dahlin, he’s cost controlled for a much longer period of time.

Even if you think Mack is top 5 at his position, and he very well may be... the 5yr difference between the two is huge. I wouldn’t expect an idiot like Bergevin to let that stop him though, as history would indicate.

The age factor is important to look at. But we're not talking about a Subban for Weber here, where Bergevin gives up 4 of Subban's prime years 27-31 for 31 year old Weber. It would be trading Dahlin's 18 - 22 year old years. Those are still developmental years. We're not sure what Dahlin will do in those years. Seth Jones and Hedman didn't really become stars until 22-23 years old. Erik Karlesson didn't take off until the 4th year after he was drafted.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
The age factor is important to look at. But we're not talking about a Subban for Weber here, where Bergevin gives up 4 of Subban's prime years 27-31 for 31 year old Weber. It would be trading Dahlin's 18 - 22 year old years. Those are still developmental years. We're not sure what Dahlin will do in those years. Seth Jones and Hedman didn't really become stars until 22-23 years old. Erik Karlesson didn't take off until the 4th year after he was drafted.

That’s an excellent point, but i’ll counter it with this:

-If Dahlin emerges to only be average on the first three years of his ELC, you have full leverage over him at his next contract. Might be able to get him on a steal of a contract like Hedman was, or Josi, or hell even Pacioretty.

Trading Dahlin for MacKinnon would NOT be as bad as the Subban/Weber trade, as Mac fills a need for us.

But I’d rather take Dahlin and crater the next 2-3 seasons and pick up more assets rather than grab Mac and continue to struggle (we have so many damn holes now, 1C is just the most glaring).

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Aside from the obvious (Molson sells, Bergevin, Julien, Lefebvre and the entire coaching staff are fired), players movement we need, assuming that Bergie does a good job, are Price, Pacioretty trades and Tavares signing. With great returns, this is the only way we become better and more complete. But then.....the return for both guys need to be optimum. Which bring me to my initial point that what have to happen is the obvious......that won't happen.

Though I'm suspecting that FINALLY we might see some chances to Julien's assistants and AHL coaching staff. Just to ease our pain...lol

...What good does Tavares do, other than win us points we don't need, if we are rebuilding? If you sign Tavares, you might as well hold onto Price, Weber and Pacioretty and see what the hell happens.

Reactions: Seb

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
...What good does Tavares do, other than win us points we don't need, if we are rebuilding? If you sign Tavares, you might as well hold onto Price, Weber and Pacioretty and see what the hell happens.

And again, it all depends what the return is. What I want and what Bergevin want is 2 things. I just suspect he is not rebuilding. He is "resetting" which means no 1st round picks, no young prospects, he will be interested in Seth Jones vs Ryan Johansen type of trades. If so, we will need Tavares. I totally agree with you, if we are REALLY rebuilding, you don't need Tavares. But I will never believe Bergevin will go with that.

AshyHabs

Biceps>Brains
Dec 27, 2015
Montreal
1) more 4th line grinders with caracter esti
2) more gars de chez nous tabernak
3) MB super extension till 2045

On a personal level tho...

1) Purge from the top down (will never happen)
2) Trade Price
3) Trade Alzner (retain wtv)
4) Try for the love of god to come up with a real plan.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If you get Tavares you definitely hang onto those other guys. It wouldn't make sense not to. But then you've got to go and add to the blueline in a big way.

Don't worry, it won't happen.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

-If Dahlin emerges to only be average on the first three years of his ELC, you have full leverage over him at his next contract. Might be able to get him on a steal of a contract like Hedman was, or Josi, or hell even Pacioretty.

Trading Dahlin for MacKinnon would NOT be as bad as the Subban/Weber trade, as Mac fills a need for us.

But I’d rather take Dahlin and crater the next 2-3 seasons and pick up more assets rather than grab Mac and continue to struggle (we have so many damn holes now, 1C is just the most glaring).

Another interesting "would you rather": win the first pick and get Dahlin or learn Tavares has chosen to sign in Montreal.

In the Tavares case we get Tavares plus our number 1 pick.

I still take Dahlin.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
I think the defense next year should stay young and move out Schlemko and Benn.

Take the money saving on Plekanec and try to focus the rest of the cap on upgrading the offense because the team can’t score on a consistent basis.

I have a feeling Bergevin is going to backup the truck for Tavares and move Drouin to Wong as he said he’d prefer him there. Now not saying Tavares will sign in Montreal but if he were to I would not worry about defense with Julien. Just get him some scoring.

Drouin Tavares Galchenyuk
Pacioretty Stastny Gallagher
Byron Danault Grabner
Hudon Shaw Lehkonen
Scherbak / Deslauriers / Carr / Rychel

Mete Weber
Reilly Petry
Alzner Juulsen
Vailev Lernout

Price
Lindgren
They have to trade Pacioretty it is good asset management you get back a 1st and a prospect,you could replace Pacioretty by signing either Perron or JVR.

Reactions: WG and Habs100

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
Another interesting "would you rather": win the first pick and get Dahlin or learn Tavares has chosen to sign in Montreal.

In the Tavares case we get Tavares plus our number 1 pick.

I still take Dahlin.

Tavares signing for me. The difference between Dahlin and Quinn Hughes is nowhere even remotely close to John Tavares. I take JT and use our pick to draft Hughes. That makes us a better team than just dahlin

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
They have to trade Pacioretty it is good asset management you get back a 1st and a prospect,you could replace Pacioretty by signing either Perron or JVR.

Or Evander Kane if you have information that he's finally matured. He's also younger, at 26 years old.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

I've never seen a prospect like Dahlin. Trading him would be the absolute dumbest thing this franchise has ever done, bar none.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
1. Bergevin Fired
2. Getting rid of big contracts like Price, Weber, Alzner
3. A new recruiter in chief, Timmins has been solid but we need fresh blood to rebuild this franchise

(oh yea and a new DJ at the Bell and no more Sara Diamond or little eye candy pop singers)

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
In a cap world you simply can not trade an 18 yo potential superstar with 7 years of control for an older established star player simply to address a need unless it’s a very specific circumstance which we are not in. As much as I’d love either one of those players, it’s a no for me.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
If you get Tavares you definitely hang onto those other guys. It wouldn't make sense not to. But then you've got to go and add to the blueline in a big way.

Don't worry, it won't happen.

To be honest, it's no less likely than selling off Price and Weber.
Let's say that it does happen. What moves do we make to make us a playoff team in a year?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

You don't rebuild with a hope and a prayer of finding a franchise centre, which built Pittsburgh, Chicago, Toronto, teams that simply weren't very good, so rebuilt, from not being very good. Is there a franchise centre in this draft, and would the Canadiens have the patience to develop one? Nashville for all their credit, has not drafted one, but they went out and got them.

You find a franchise centre to build around. I think Montreal is still stuck in the build from the goalie out mentality. Starts up the middle. I think if Drouin was developed into a #2 centre, behind a franchise centre like Tavares, or to a lesser extent Stastny, he would take off. Prime time in Montreal is not like other places. That's why I like Domi too, because he is a spotlight player.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It would be so typical from the habs "brainstorm" to trade the best defensive talent to ever come fron the draft since Denis Potvin for a quick fix to a problem that should have been fixed 5 years ago on a falling franchise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
It would be so typical from the habs "brainstorm" to trade the best defensive talent to ever come fron the draft since Denis Potvin for a quick fix to a problem that should have been fixed 5 years ago on a falling franchise.

Well, since Hedman anyways...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad