HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
If Armia can be sent to Laval, so can Pezzetta, Ylonen or Kovacevic.

What are doing with the many millions of cap space left?
Ah ok, i thought you were talking about Gallagher and Anderson.

I agree with you about cap space. They should not let cap space go to waste.
Overpay guys for a year or two if you have to.

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
I would put William Eklund in that mix, SJS have F prospects in their pipeline but lack young D - potentially a deal involving one of Habs young D + pick for Eklund?
lol have have nothing to give to San Jose to trade him. Come on now

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
We'll get a very good look at Barron as the Laval season winds down.
If he continues to move the puck quickly use his legs efficiently on offense and to get out of trouble.
And continues crumpling players with his size there is no way he doesn't gain a bottom pairing.
There isn't another Dman in our organization who has the fluidity that he possesses.
With Barron it's all between the ears and it's a confidence thing not a stupidity thing.
It would be brutal if we traded him before Harris or Kovacevic.

One of them needs to go so Barron can play full time. Give him one last run and see what he does before deciding to move on.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I would put William Eklund in that mix, SJS have F prospects in their pipeline but lack young D - potentially a deal involving one of Habs young D + pick for Eklund?
Why would SJS trade one of their top 2 prospects at the start of their rebuild they will draft top 5 this draft and the next…

Any proposal for Eklund starts with 5OA ++

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
No interest in Marchessault.
He will turn 34 early next season and will want a multiple-year contract. To be worth the money he will make, he will need to play in the top 6, which will block Roy/Newhook, who are players that could be part of the long-term core of the habs.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Jason Bukala was on Kyper show last night. Said Habs have a wealth of defense talent coming up in their system. He was really impressed with "Hutson Kid". Said he was a bulldog. He expects teams be calling Montreal draft time offering relative high first pick for one of their young defenseman

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
And then what when they are not claimed?
They can be pros like Armia was and report to Laval, or ask for a release to play in Europe or retire.

He will turn 34 early next season and will want a multiple-year contract. To be worth the money he will make, he will need to play in the top 6, which will block Roy/Newhook, who are players that could be part of the long-term core of the habs.
I don't care about "blocking" younger players and having second line players on the third line.

I care about having third or fourth line players on the second line or wasting millions for years in cap. Max 2 year contract for Marchessault.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Jason Bukala was on Kyper show last night. Said Habs have a wealth of defense talent coming up in their system. He was really impressed with "Hutson Kid". Said he was a bulldog. He expects teams be calling Montreal draft time offering relative high first pick for one of their young defenseman
Struble has a similar profile to Romanov. He should fetch a mid first rounder.

Xhekaj even more upside.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I still have a faint hope that Newhook can prove to be a top 6er.

I would love to target Lafreniere. He has been really good this year, and Rangers will have Cap challenges in the years to come.

I don't think it's a big negative to call Newhook a middle 6F. That is either 2nd or 3rd line. I like his intensity and skating but this roster needs a 80+ pts guy added to it up front.

With Lafreniere, it will be interesting to see how the Rangers manage him. I agree, he's had a good season playing in their top 6 and in a stable spot too. Not sure how they will manage their cap as they need to retain several of their core with expiring contracts to come.

Reactions: waitin425

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Struble has a similar profile to Romanov. He should fetch a mid first rounder.

Xhekaj even more upside.

Struble is showing promise yes but it's too early to staple him as a Romanov. I guess after next season perhaps. He's played 46 NHL games. Romanov had 133 games with the Habs before we flipped him for Dach. For all we know, Struble is on a steep curve and after one more season, he has more value than Romaonv did. Struble is that type that plays many sports and I do think his IQ is high.

I know teams are calling Hughes with our surplus of rising young guys on the back end. Problem is they are low balling us thinking we will unload for cheap. No doubt we got calls about Xhekaj and some teams think they can offer a late 1st rounder and think they can acquire. Late 1st rounders have solid value but they are not sure shot NHL'ers.

Very curious to see how Gorton/Hughes manage our team in the next 2 seasons. They are more transition years but pressure to move up the standings is coming more and more as we move forward. Our draft power is still very high and the previous draft power is starting to filter in AHL/NHL which will create waiver challenges IMO.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They can be pros like Armia was and report to Laval, or ask for a release to play in Europe or retire.

I don't care about "blocking" younger players and having second line players on the third line.

I care about having third or fourth line players on the second line or wasting millions for years in cap. Max 2 year contract for Marchessault.

I rather re sign Monahan than sign Marchessault. We don't need more undersized guys up front. I actually prefer we don't have playoff expectations next season. Move up the standings with more positive development yes

If we really want, we can overpay him and give him 2x7,5M. We can easily afford it for couple seasons.

What do you think the value is we get if we do this with Marchessault? Personally, I rather give Monahan that money for 2 years. He fits our core and the players like him here. He's a big body that wins puck battles and he helps in many areas. Young guys can learn from having him around.

Don't hate Marchessault but this is not the type of target I would have if we are signing a vet.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I don't think it's a big negative to call Newhook a middle 6F. That is either 2nd or 3rd line. I like his intensity and skating but this roster needs a 80+ pts guy added to it up front.

With Lafreniere, it will be interesting to see how the Rangers manage him. I agree, he's had a good season playing in their top 6 and in a stable spot too. Not sure how they will manage their cap as they need to retain several of their core with expiring contracts to come.
I guess it is all semantics between middle 6er and top 6er. When I say a top 6 player(relative to Newhook), I really mean, a solidified 2nd liner with the ability to move up the lineup. When I think middle 6er, I think 3rd liner with 2nd line ability. I am okay with that 2nd/3rd liner. Ideally, he is a firm 2nd liner who gets pushed to the 3rd line, because of depth and future acquisitions.

For example....if we somehow acquired Laf. In my dream world, we do it for the Jets 1st + Calgary 1st + Struble/Harris....Giving us something like this in 2025/26

Slaf - Suzuki - Demi/Lindstrom/Catton
Laf - Dach - Caufield
Newhook - Beck - Roy

Reactions: Habs Halifax

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I rather re sign Monahan than sign Marchessault. We don't need more undersized guys up front. I actually prefer we don't have playoff expectations next season. Move up the standings with more positive development yes

What do you think the value is we get if we do this with Marchessault? Personally, I rather give Monahan that money for 2 years. He fits our core and the players like him here. He's a big body that wins puck battles and he helps in many areas. Young guys can learn from having him around.

Don't hate Marchessault but this is not the type of target I would have if we are signing a vet.
100%

Monahan would be a perfect stop gap for us to acquire a 3rd line centre. Either through the development of Beck or some other method. He is 29 and having a come back season. Plenty left in him.

Marchy is on the cusp of career decline. I wouldn't go there at this point.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Agreed................this does not seem to be the season, where we go ufa fishing either.
The draft this year will be a lot of fun, we are expecting HuGo to do something good, once again.

Trading a D for a goal scorer seems obvious, but as to who, not so much.....HuGo loves the off season splash.

Reactions: Rozz

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I actually prefer we don't have playoff expectations next season. Move up the standings with more positive development yes

If we spend the considerable cap money we have wisely, and our top players avoid injury, we should be expected to make the playoffs this coming season.

We have enough cap room to add three out of these four guys:
Monahan
Toffoli
Zegras
Montour

1000% Monahan over Marchessault.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Does he still constantly dive and embellish and have hissy-fits at fans online, or is that behind him now?

Reactions: Runner77

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
What do you think the value is we get if we do this with Marchessault?
- we only have two 20+ scorers in our team now
- he is an undrafted player with 600+ games in NHL
- Stanley Cup champion, Conn Smythe
- kid from Quebec

I think he can still contribute in next couple season and be 20+ goals player in MTL. He is that kind of vet you want in the team to build our culture and mentor young players like- Newhook, RHP, CC. We should get rid of Anderson, just trade him away for 7th round pick and bring a vet like Marchessault.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I would offer Marchessault a Giroux type contract. Around 3 year, 21 million.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Draft one of Demidov/Lindstrom/Helenius

Trade Win 1st + Barron + Mesar for Crosby

Trade Habs 2025 1st (top 2 protected) for Laff
1) Yes, I would keep the pick unless there's a unreal deal coming our way

2) I don't think that's enough for Sid but it never hurts to make a call

3) Laff seems like a good kid that has figured out his game, but I wouldn't want him on this team. Unfortunately, some Habs fans and media eat French kids alive, especially if they are supposed to be stars. Not many young men can handle that pressure

Reactions: Benstheman

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023

Yeah, like i've already replied, i thought you were talking about Gallagher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad