HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I don't see the Habs challenging for a playoff spot next season. I see a team firmly entrenched in the bubble.
I'd also be super surprised if our front office sees the Habs challenging for a playoff spot next season.
The only thing I have heard come out of them was a desire to become competitive.
I take that to mean to start winning more games than we are losing.

While the focus won't change, and the public expectations will be managed down, I get the sense that they absolutely will see next year as a playoff goal.

The summer, camp and early season roster decisions will give more clarity, to be sure.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Since January Armia has been one of the top 5 forwards on the ice quite consistently. Habs are not cap strapped, why move him ?
Because our team sucks and I want to be better next year. 20 games in an already dead season doesn’t mean anything. 2 months ago everyone would’ve been happy to get rid of him for free or retain 50% for nothing, if we can get him off the books now that’s good enough

I do not like talking about politics but I don't think Marchessault has any desire to comeback to Canada. Only as last resort. He is from Quebec and he probably grew up hating the habs. Other than filling the franco quota I would pass. Monahan is a way better fit.
He’s not old enough to be a Nordiques fan lmao

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Because our team sucks and I want to be better next year. 20 games in an already dead season doesn’t mean anything. 2 months ago everyone would’ve been happy to get rid of him for free or retain 50% for nothing, if we can get him off the books now that’s good enough
Who do we have as a winger that's ready for the show? Roy is obviously one of them but still plenty of spots to fill. Heineman is not ready. Neither is Farrell. Unless our top pick makes the team, Armia has a spot on this team and deservedly so.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I think only having 1 retention spot left is also a bummer. I don't think we will find any taker for Dvorak, Armia, Savard and possibly Evans until near the trade deadline.
Evans is on a cheap contract, so should not require any retention if the Habs want to move him at the TDL. However, I wouldn't mind seeing the team re-sign Evans instead of dumping him. Evans is useful as a 4C and provides much needed depth at the position.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I don't see the Habs challenging for a playoff spot next season. I see a team firmly entrenched in the bubble.
I'd also be super surprised if our front office sees the Habs challenging for a playoff spot next season.
The only thing I have heard come out of them was a desire to become competitive.
Wouldn’t adding a 40 goal scorer to a team that hasn’t had a 40 goal scorer in 25 years help the cause?

It’s not like we have better players coming up

Also the eastern conference is turning into a joke again and if you can win more games than you lose you’re probably a playoff team.
Who do we have as a winger that's ready for the show? Roy is obviously one of them but still plenty of spots to fill. Heineman is not ready. Neither is Farrell. Unless our top pick makes the team, Armia has a spot on this team and deservedly so.
Are you really worried about the last 5 games of the season? Or do you think we couldn’t get a better player for 3.6M in the offseason?

Reactions: ReHabs

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Very worse Habs be on outskirts of playoffs next season. This is decent team. Add Dach and a top 6 forward should be close

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
get rid of him for free or retain 50% for nothing
Armia will show up to camp just like everyone else and if he's playing hockey like he currently is he will retain his seat.
This will be the only retaining we will see until TDL. If he sucks then he likely goes on waivers before Hughes retains anything.
Professional teams will always treat their athletes according to their current performance.
Trying to find a player to replace what Armia is bringing right now might be tougher than you think.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It will be interesting to see how that plays out this summer.

With the cap going up, only 1-year left on his deal, and likely finishing around a 15g/25pt season, I could see Armia being viewed favorably by a lot of GMs.

I actually don't think the Habs will be looking to move him at this point. He's clearly appreciated by the coaching staff and at the level he's been playing most of the year, he's a great fit for our bottom 6.

If he keeps it up next year and the Habs are in the playoff picture, I won't be surprised to see a 2-3 year extension rather than trading him.
I very much doubt it will be interesting following what the Habs do with Armia this summer. I doubt Hughes is going to spend any time trying to trade Armia because it's an inefficient use of his time. Spending all your time on fringe assets is what Bergevin did and it gets you nowhere.

As for an extension, I doubt it. Even if Armia keeps it up there are young guys pushing for roster spots and with Anderson and Gallagher already clogging up the bottom-6 and being untradeable so even if Armia is more valuable then those two I just don't see there being any space for Armia past next season.

Reactions: Rapala

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Wouldn’t adding a 40 goal scorer to a team that hasn’t had a 40 goal scorer in 25 years help the cause?

It’s not like we have better players coming up

Also the eastern conference is turning into a joke again and if you can win more games than you lose you’re probably a playoff team.

Are you really worried about the last 5 games of the season? Or do you think we couldn’t get a better player for 3.6M in the offseason?
Who is available that is a clear upgrade and worth tying up cap and a spot long term though?

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Armia will show up to camp just like everyone else and if he's playing hockey like he currently is he will retain his seat.
This will be the only retaining we will see until TDL. If he sucks then he likely goes on waivers before Hughes retains anything.
Professional teams will always treat their athletes according to their current performance.
Trying to find a player to replace what Armia is bringing right now might be tougher than you think.
But wouldn’t it be better if we could just make him vanish for free right now

Who is available that is a clear upgrade and worth tying up cap and a spot long term though?
We can’t sign Marchessault because we need to keep Armia is what I’m hearing

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

We can’t sign Marchessault because we need to keep Armia is what I’m hearing
Those are two entirely different things. Marchessault will look to cash in à la Killorn if he leaves Vegas. He'll likely cost 2x more than Armia's current cap hit.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
No not unless you have a solution or a player who can take on his role.
Bottom 6 Heavy winger very good along the boards and in tight spaces can move up in a pinch.
He has been phenomenal on the PK in the past and is showing that form again.
You might add in his team mates like him which also counts for something.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
No not unless you have a solution or a player who can take on his role.
Heavy winger very good along the boards and in tight spaces.
He has been phenomenal on the PK in the past and is showing that form again.
You might add in his team mates like him which also counts for something.
Yeah Anderson deserves to be shot out of a cannon more than Armia at this point. Is not a fit with MSL.

Reactions: Rapala

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I very much doubt it will be interesting following what the Habs do with Armia this summer. I doubt Hughes is going to spend any time trying to trade Armia because it's an inefficient use of his time. Spending all your time on fringe assets is what Bergevin did and it gets you nowhere.
Attention to detail
Respect for the people that decisions impact

Cultures of excellence always have those qualities. Conflating MBs approach with this is of little comparative value.

Couldn't disagree more.

As for an extension, I doubt it. Even if Armia keeps it up there are young guys pushing for roster spots and with Anderson and Gallagher already clogging up the bottom-6 and being untradeable so even if Armia is more valuable then those two I just don't see there being any space for Armia past next season.

We'll see. I can't see Anderson & Gally still eating up 11M in cap while playing <13min/night past next season.

Armia's inconsistencies has always been his issue, so it's far from certain he'll maintain his strong play this season. If he does, there's ample reason on both sides to extend the relationship.

Reactions: Andrei79

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Armia is probably one of the very last things on his mind. I always assume there will be an all hands on board season debrief.
The last thing Marty will be saying is Kent I need an immediate replacement for Joel Armia.

Reactions: tazsub3

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Armia is probably one of the very last things on his mind. I always assume there will be an all hands on board season debrief.
The last thing Marty will be saying is Kent I need an immediate replacement for Joel Armia.

Indeed ( :sarcasm: )

After not making the opening roster, Armia's usage has gone from up steadily month over month all season... Averaging over 16:30min a game in March.

That's a sign of a player winning a coaches trust more than anything

Last edited:
Reactions: tazsub3

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That doesn't seem likely.

After not making the opening roster, Armia's usage has gone from up steadily month over month all season... Averaging over 16:30min a game in March.

That's a sign of a player winning a coaches trust more than anything
So you are reiterating exactly what I wrote correct? :huh:
What exactly isn't likely?
That Armia isn't one of the last things on Kent's mind or Marty won't be coming in asking for a replacement?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
So you are reiterating exactly what I wrote correct? :huh:
What exactly isn't likely?
That Armia isn't one of the last things on Kent's mind or Marty won't be coming in asking for a replacement?

Lol my bad... Misread your post completely.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
1. Barron + WPG 1st round pick for Martin Necas.
2. Barron + pick for Dylan Holloway
3. Barron + pick for Kaapo Kakko.

Last edited:

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I'd love if we could somehow get someone like Jack Quinn.

Fits to a tee with what this team needs and the type of player Hugo are trying to build with.
Something's got to give in Buffalo with also Benson, Kulich, Peterka, Savoie, Ostlund around.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad