HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Gallagher can get bought out and Anderson dumped with 50% retention. I'm not going to waste my time with those two and wait until their contracts run out. Adding Celebrini is a complete game changer and we need to do everything to be competitive right away.
Yeah I know but what are the chances of getting Celebrini, like 6.5%? Love the enthusiasm tho.

I could see Marchessault sign with us maybe if we win Celebrini by chance but otherwise highly doubt he would sign 2-3 years with a bottom of the barrell team like Montreal, probably craves another cup.

• Haha
Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Yeah I know but what are the chances of getting Celebrini, like 6.5%? Love the enthusiasm tho.

I could see Marchessault sign with us maybe if we win Celebrini by chance but otherwise highly doubt he would sign 2-3 years with a bottom of the barrell team like Montreal, probably craves another cup.
f*** Marchessault. I want Crosby.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
And Hughes has known Struble for a very long time through youth hockey & NCAA - as much as we try to be neutral, human beings have built in biases… it’s natural
That's a bit of a stretch.

Hugues is the one that gave up Lehkonen to get Barron. He's the one that will look bad if Barron doesn't make it.
I'm sure he'll give him all the chances in the world to succeed, within limit.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

Yeah that’s why I was saying Marchessault would only make sense if we win Celebrini. I think Vegas finds a way to keep him however.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
We can be patient, but we should also be open to the idea of a guy being able to steal a spot at camp if they've truly earned it.
We have to be open to the idea of a guy being able to steal a spot. They've been preaching that to the kids at every development camp.
We are congested and not in a great way. This summer is an important one if they do want to start pushing next season like they claim.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
We have to be open to the idea of a guy being able to steal a spot. They've been preaching that to the kids at every development camp.
We are congested and not in a great way. This summer is an important one if they do want to start pushing next season like they claim.
When the congestion is by the likes of Kovacevic, Harris, Ylonen, Pezzetta .... it's really no problem .

Reactions: Rozz

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Known him ? Didn't he know him well enough that Hughes would find Struble in Hughes' kitchen making breakfast ? And we know Hughes has an affinity for players who cooked as teenagers.
Point being GMs tend to side w the devil you know vs one you don’t know., then you add in Struble not waiver eligible + being able to play RD + size factor.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Signing Marchesault would be an amazing fit. The guy already won his cup. He's 33 years old, maybe he would be interested to sign with the Habs and come home to finish his career. Maybe the Knights would not have the money to keep him or would not be interested. The guy is a frenchy, has both talent and combativity, he's not lazy. And we would not have to break the bank to get him, I think. Plus we've still not completed our rebuild so we would not have to make a big trade. Just sign one guy and that's it. It's really a no risk thing.

Reactions: Scintillating10

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
KH need to find a way to dump Anderson is SJ or Chicago and free that 5.5M.

Gallagher is impossible to trade at that price tag, it's either a buyout or LTIR.

Signing Marchesault would be an amazing fit. The guy already won his cup. He's 33 years old, maybe he would be interested to sign with the Habs and come home to finish his career. Maybe the Knights would not have the money to keep him or would not be interested. The guy is a frenchy, has both talent and combativity, he's not lazy. And we would not have to break the bank to get him, I think. Plus we've still not completed our rebuild so we would not have to make a big trade. Just sign one guy and that's it. It's really a no risk thing.
He should ask for 4 years at 7M per season.

Reactions: Kimota

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
That my friend remains to be seen. Hughes has an offloading job he can't put off much longer.
It's not hard:

"Mr. Daly, the Montreal Canadiens have three guys to put on waivers. Let us know by 2pm tomorrow if we need to do any really short tribute videos"

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Gallagher can get bought out and Anderson dumped with 50% retention. I'm not going to waste my time with those two and wait until their contracts run out. Adding Celebrini is a complete game changer and we need to do everything to be competitive right away.

Gallagher has much better buyout numbers in 2025. I'd wait a year on him. He's at least working hard out there and driving the net.

Anderson is just bumming around, floating. Take the 50% hit & get rid of him this summer. It'll mean we'll have no retention spot for a Dvorak trade, but he's always freaking injured anyway. Besides, we can always 3rd party retention if it's worth it.

Reactions: The Great Weal

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I see it differently, unless there’s a can’t miss opportunity for an ultra blue chip young guy with term, I don’t see Hughes diving in yet. I do think that with a bunch of salary coming off the books, he will use that to acquire even more assets though for the inevitable big deal that will be coming.

The only real assets I see in play over the summer (and some will argue they aren’t really assets):

1 - Justin Barron. Seems to be the odd man out, and still holds value as an interesting offensive right shot who will be cheap.

2 - Jordan Harris. Jack of all trades, not overly physical but a smart defenseman that can play both sides. A guy you can throw on your bottom pairing and know you can usually rely upon.

3 - Christian Dvorak. In the last year of his contract, Dvorak could be an asset to a contending team if his contract was retained, perhaps by a second team as well, his cap hit and injury history make him a lot less valuable.

4 - Joel Armia. Being waived and sent to the AHL, may have revived Armia’s career. He’s come back as a much more motivated player who’s been a tremendous penalty killer, and bottom 6 player for the Habs. He has good size and uses it to shield pucks while being a decent net presence.

Nothing that will really net you much, unless it’s part of a package.

Potential targets to be acquired:

UFA:

1: Sean Monahan. The gift that keeps on giving, comes back to be the veteran leader the Habs need up front, and the bumper guy on the powerplay.

2: William Carrier. With Vegas in serious cap trouble, Carrier will likely not be re-signing in Sin City. Carrier is a big body (6’2, 220 lbs) and likes to play a physical game. If he’s healthy, which is a big if, I think he could play on the third line or definitely the fourth, and be a cheap, depth player.

Young players potentially acquired:

1) Pavel Dorofoyev. Really like this guy’s game and another that could potentially be the victim of the Vegas cap crunch. Habs could send back a second rounder for him. Plus it would be awesome to have a guy that looked exactly like Ian Gallagher.

2) Kent Johnson. If the BJ’s new management don’t care for the player, I could see a potential deal here.

Assuming that Dvorak, Harris and Armia are moved, and Monahan, Carrier and Dorofeyev acquired.

Potential lines for 2024-2025

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Newhook - Dach - Roy
Dorofeyev - Monahan - Anderson
Carrier - Evans - Gallagher
Pezzetta

Matheson - Guhle
Xhekaj - Savard
Struble - Mailloux
Kovacevic

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Yeah I'd be willing to eat 50% of Anderson's contract for free at this point.

Less worried about Gallagher because he's on the Ladd/Callahan LTIR pathway, and Gallagher is still at the very least a serviceable bottom six forward. Even if he doesn't go on LTIR for another year or two it's not the end of the world if he's a vet for your 3rd or 4th line, but Anderson just doesn't have a chair anywhere and he makes it so hard to build a cohesive 4 line unit.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Gallagher has much better buyout numbers in 2025. I'd wait a year on him. He's at least working hard out there and driving the net.

Anderson is just bumming around, floating. Take the 50% hit & get rid of him this summer. It'll mean we'll have no retention spot for a Dvorak trade, but he's always freaking injured anyway. Besides, we can always 3rd party retention if it's worth it.
I just think with Celebrini and Marchessault, we have to bite the bullet on buying out Gally. If we don’t get Celebrini then yes we can wait a year if he doesn’t agree to go LTIRetirement.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
You need veterans with a ring.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I see it differently, unless there’s a can’t miss opportunity for an ultra blue chip young guy with term, I don’t see Hughes diving in yet. I do think that with a bunch of salary coming off the books, he will use that to acquire even more assets though for the inevitable big deal that will be coming.

The only real assets I see in play over the summer (and some will argue they aren’t really assets):

1 - Justin Barron. Seems to be the odd man out, and still holds value as an interesting offensive right shot who will be cheap.

2 - Jordan Harris. Jack of all trades, not overly physical but a smart defenseman that can play both sides. A guy you can throw on your bottom pairing and know you can usually rely upon.

3 - Christian Dvorak. In the last year of his contract, Dvorak could be an asset to a contending team if his contract was retained, perhaps by a second team as well, his cap hit and injury history make him a lot less valuable.

4 - Joel Armia. Being waived and sent to the AHL, may have revived Armia’s career. He’s come back as a much more motivated player who’s been a tremendous penalty killer, and bottom 6 player for the Habs. He has good size and uses it to shield pucks while being a decent net presence.

Nothing that will really net you much, unless it’s part of a package.

Potential targets to be acquired:

UFA:

1: Sean Monahan. The gift that keeps on giving, comes back to be the veteran leader the Habs need up front, and the bumper guy on the powerplay.

2: William Carrier. With Vegas in serious cap trouble, Carrier will likely not be re-signing in Sin City. Carrier is a big body (6’2, 220 lbs) and likes to play a physical game. If he’s healthy, which is a big if, I think he could play on the third line or definitely the fourth, and be a cheap, depth player.

Young players potentially acquired:

1) Pavel Dorofoyev. Really like this guy’s game and another that could potentially be the victim of the Vegas cap crunch. Habs could send back a second rounder for him. Plus it would be awesome to have a guy that looked exactly like Ian Gallagher.

2) Kent Johnson. If the BJ’s new management don’t care for the player, I could see a potential deal here.

Assuming that Dvorak, Harris and Armia are moved, and Monahan, Carrier and Dorofeyev acquired.

Newhook - Dach - Roy
Pezzetta

Matheson - Guhle
Xhekaj - Savard
Struble - Mailloux
Kovacevic
I would put William Eklund in that mix, SJS have F prospects in their pipeline but lack young D - potentially a deal involving one of Habs young D + pick for Eklund?

Reactions: Beendair Donedat

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
And then what when they are not claimed?
If Armia can be sent to Laval, so can Pezzetta, Ylonen or Kovacevic.

Newhook - Dach - Roy
Pezzetta

Matheson - Guhle
Xhekaj - Savard
Struble - Mailloux
Kova
What are doing with the many millions of cap space left?

Jul 6, 2016
7,5 M $$$ X 3 seasons, minimum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad