HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Problem is Barron is running out of time. They won't be able to send him to Laval next year without risking losing him on waivers.

What about not playing him in Laval, keeping the RD with 2nd pair potential rather than thinking two LDs with llower potential and a 7th D should be higher on the depth chrt ?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I wouldn't touch Marchessault personally. Next season will probably be a growth season again where playoffs aren't likely, then the following season we might be a playoff team. By that time Marchessault would be 35.
We traded away a lot of high draft picks last 2 drafts. Then give these players nice contract. Just give the money to a Savard or Toffoli type. Keep our first picks. You need quality experience also.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Problem is Barron is running out of time. They won't be able to send him to Laval next year without risking losing him on waivers.

No problem. Send Harris down instead and if he gets claimed he gets claimed. This is going to be a reality for the Habs with all that draft power we have had for sever years now. It's up to us to monitor development and not rush guys so we can properly evaluate.

Loose Harris or Kova on waivers vs what we can get in a trade for them? What's the best Harris could get on the market? 2nd rounder?

It's very important we don't rush Hutson, Reinbacher, or Engstrom IMO. Buys us more time to properly evaluate Guhle, Xhekaj, Struble, Barron, Mailloux.

Reactions: jellybeans

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
What about not playing him in Laval, keeping the RD with 2nd pair potential rather than thinking two LDs with llower potential and a 7th D should be higher on the depth chrt ?
What about keeping players that deserve it?
I'm not sure who you are referring to exactly but Barron hasn't secured a NHL spot yet after almost 3 years pro, so maybe he doesn't have as much potential as you think.

Maybe they'll keep him next season to avoid losing him for nothing but i'm guessing he'll be traded before then.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
What about keeping players that deserve it?
I'm not sure who you are referring to exactly but Barron hasn't secured a NHL spot yet after almost 3 years pro, so maybe he doesn't have as much potential as you think.

Maybe they'll keep him next season to avoid losing him for nothing but i'm guessing he'll be traded before then.

Kovacevic Strubble Harris have not been much better than Barron and Strubble has been drafted 1 year before, Harris two years before… Barron is MTL second best puck moving Dman after Matheson.

How have the three players mentioned above secured a spot above Barron ? My point was that Barron would not clear waivers and neither should be sent down, losing Struble Harris would not hurt as much and having Barron would allow to have Guhle on the left.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
No problem. Send Harris down instead and if he gets claimed he gets claimed. This is going to be a reality for the Habs with all that draft power we have had for sever years now. It's up to us to monitor development and not rush guys so we can properly evaluate.

Loose Harris or Kova on waivers vs what we can get in a trade for them? What's the best Harris could get on the market? 2nd rounder?

It's very important we don't rush Hutson, Reinbacher, or Engstrom IMO. Buys us more time to properly evaluate Guhle, Xhekaj, Struble, Barron, Mailloux.
Knowing Hugues, it's not likely that he'll lose Harris for nothing.

But it's not about Harris, it's about Barron being good enough to contribute in the NHL and not be a liability.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Kovacevic Strubble Harris have not been much better than Barron and Strubble has been drafted 1 year before, Harris two years before… Barron is MTL second best puck moving Dman after Matheson.

How have the three players mentioned above secured a spot above Barron ? My point was that Barron would not clear waivers and neither should be sent down, losing Struble Harris would not hurt as much and having Barron would allow to have Guhle on the left.
Sure, Barron being young and waiver exempt and needing to play are factors for him being in Laval.

But Struble is also waiver exempt and young, but he's still with the big team even if they'd need a right shot D more than a left. That should tell you a lot.
They gave Struble one chance and he took it. Barron had multiple chances already and he's still in Laval.

Kovacevic is barely NHL caliber. I don't think he's in the long time plans so it's ok if they keep him as 7D for the moment and not play him much.

I don't think Harris is in the long term plans either. He was rumored to be available and it's not surprising.
I like him but there's just no place for him in the future.
But he's still been better than Barron.

My point is they can't play Barron at the NHL level next year just because he can't be sent down. He has to be better than what he's shown so far.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
My point is they can't play Barron at the NHL level next year just because he can't be sent down. He has to be better than what he's shown so far.
They went with 3 goalies most of the year to avoid risking Primeau to waivers.

Barron is likely to keep improving. Another offseason of training at his age & with his work ethic makes it quite unlikely he won't be further along come in his development come training camp.

If he isn't traded, he'll be on the opening night roster, that much seems like a given at this point.

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
we have a spot for Barron next year. Kovacevic is the 7th D and Harris is the expendable LD because Struble and Hutson bring more . Moreover We have a least another year of letting our young players develop, while Armia, Dvorak, Savard and Evans expires.

I expect Harris to be traded . If not , we start the year with 8 D :

Matheson Ghule
Xhekaj Savard
Struble Barron
Harris Kovacevic

Mailloux, Hutson anse Reinbacher in the AHL

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Sure, Barron being young and waiver exempt and needing to play are factors for him being in Laval.

But Struble is also waiver exempt and young, but he's still with the big team even if they'd need a right shot D more than a left. That should tell you a lot.
They gave Struble one chance and he took it. Barron had multiple chances already and he's still in Laval.

Kovacevic is barely NHL caliber. I don't think he's in the long time plans so it's ok if they keep him as 7D for the moment and not play him much.

I don't think Harris is in the long term plans either. He was rumored to be available and it's not surprising.
I like him but there's just no place for him in the future.
But he's still been better than Barron.

And Hughes has known Struble for a very long time through youth hockey & NCAA - as much as we try to be neutral, human beings have built in biases… it’s natural

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022

All our young LHDs have one huge benefit over Barron. Whenever their games struggles or they need more stability, they were paired with Savard or Kovacevic. Our only LHD vet is Matheson and he definitely does not help your defense when you are struggling. I would match Barron with Guhle or Struble and it could work. I would trade Kovacevic and Harris preferably.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
All our young LHDs have one huge benefit over Barron. Whenever their games struggles or they need more stability, they were paired with Savard or Kovacevic. Our only LHD vet is Matheson and he definitely does not help your defense when you are struggling. I would match Barron with Guhle or Struble and it could work. I would trade Kovacevic and Harris preferably.
That's an interesting point... We've seen over and over again the stabilizing impact of a reliable/defensively responsible vet dman paired with younger/developing D... Especially when the young player's game/skill set is based on more skating/puck handling (vs "stay at home" types who play a more conservative game).

Barron might well have benefited from a partner like Edmundson this year, but I think you're right in that him with Guhle or Strubble could be a good fit next season.

Matheson - Guhle
Strubble - Barron
Xhekaj - Savard
Harris

With Mailloux, RB, Hutson marinating in Laval until trade/injury open up NHL time, that could be a decent approach to next year

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
We kept 3 Goalies, I think we can keep 8D until we figure thing out but it would be easier to trade 1 and rotate 3 guys vs 4…

Matheson Guhle
Xhekaj Savard
Struble Kovacevic
Harris Barron

Everyone can be traded, but these guy would need major over payment for me to even consider it.
-Matheson great even better contract
-Guhle just as valuable
-Xhekaj top enforcer than can play a regular shift on and surprising skills

These guys are UFA so easier to let go
-Savard will be traded but it is a TDL move
-Kovacevic could be an ideal #6/7 just depends how much $ he is looking for because we have a few younger options.

RD situation with a lot of moving part.
-Barron will 100% be lost to waiver needs to stay in NHL or be traded
-Mailloux and Reinbacher can start in the AHL and wait until the Savard and Kovacevic/ Barron situation is solved.

LD We already have 3 established guys and 2 more (Struble/Harris) that are I n the NHL
-Harris good but lack elite ability or role seem clear that he is the odd man out.
-Struble think he leapfrog a few guys, #6/7 is probably his to lose, but he might still end up on the outside so could also be moved…
-Hutson elite offensive D, can it translate to the NHL, size will also be an issue. Probably don’t want to risk trading him now.
- Engstrom will start in the AHL probably doesn’t have enough trade value to consider moving him

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Wasn't Barron already paired with Guhle for a good while?

Reactions: bcv

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Knowing Hugues, it's not likely that he'll lose Harris for nothing.

But it's not about Harris, it's about Barron being good enough to contribute in the NHL and not be a liability.

Takes Dmen longer to be trusted. Some show it earlier than others. With Barron, he's got potential but needs to mature in his own end. Doesn't mean his development or hope is over with yet. This is a rare D man with size, skating, and shot power. You don't give up on him that early (Age 22). However, if there is a trade and we have to add him to the package, sure. In the end, Barron might end up like Petry and Matheson types... Blossoming at the age 27-32 years. There is a lot of guys in the NHL like this. Long development with modest improvement from age 18-25/27 and teams do loose patience with these guys where other teams pick them up at the right point. That's what happened to us when we picked up Petry and Matheson. Right point in time.

I don't hate Harris but we don't have room for a undersized Dman who is not really moving the needle with points. If Harris is not generating offense and is meh in his own end, I think other GM's will see that too. Not sure what we can get in a trade with Harris. Some teams with shallow depth and needs a stop gap, might be interested but will offer peanuts to acquire.

I do agree with you... Hughes will sort it out

Last edited:
Reactions: Deus ex machina

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Tobie Bisson has been doing a very good job in Laval working with and helping solidify Barron's game.

Wasn't Barron already paired with Guhle for a good while?
Yes but Barron wasn't ready to take on top pairing minutes or top 6 opposition.

Reactions: Egresch

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
my gut says KH makes a big deal at the draft or just before. That peg pick will not be a hab pick, my prediction

I hope it's not another Newhook type trade and it's more like a Dach value trade. Don't hate Newhook but he is a middle 6F and we need a legit top 6F with skill and can help our PP. Our pool is loaded with middle 6F potential types. Depth won't be our issue moving forward, top end skill up front is the challenge

Suzuki and Dach are a good 1/2 punch up the middle. Of course we can improve on it and have Dach play wing but if we can't, we need a winger who has 80+ pts potential.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
This month it’s Barron, last month it was Harris, the month before it was Xhekaj, soon it’ll be Struble…

All of Hutson, Reinbacher, Engstrom, and Mailloux will benefit from a year in Laval and can be called up in case of injury (which there will surely be). There’s really not much of a log jam for this upcoming season if we’re patient with the young guys.

Guhle-Savard
Matheson-Barron
Xhekaj-Struble
(Harris, Kovacevic)
This is very true. Our young D have taken turns being on the block. Most recently Barron and Harris is pretty much always a guy who is going.

Barron has upside though and we need upside on offense on the D. Who will provide that offense we don't know yet. Barron needs to clear waivers but with proper asset management he can stay with the Habs next year and get an Ylonen like chance. No harm will come to Reinbacher and Hutson getting alot of Laval time.

As to Harris, most of us may not be impressed with his vanilla game, but the coaches generally don't feel that way. Harris gets his minutes. Guy plays decent D. He seems a high character and upbeat guy. Wish he would put on 10 pounds of muscle though.

Reactions: Draft

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
We kept 3 Goalies, I think we can keep 8D until we figure thing out but it would be easier to trade 1 and rotate 3 guys vs 4…

Matheson Guhle
Xhekaj Savard
Struble Kovacevic
Harris Barron

Everyone can be traded, but these guy would need major over payment for me to even consider it.
-Matheson great even better contract
-Guhle just as valuable
-Xhekaj top enforcer than can play a regular shift on and surprising skills

These guys are UFA so easier to let go
-Savard will be traded but it is a TDL move
-Kovacevic could be an ideal #6/7 just depends how much $ he is looking for because we have a few younger options.

RD situation with a lot of moving part.
-Barron will 100% be lost to waiver needs to stay in NHL or be traded
-Mailloux and Reinbacher can start in the AHL and wait until the Savard and Kovacevic/ Barron situation is solved.

LD We already have 3 established guys and 2 more (Struble/Harris) that are I n the NHL
-Harris good but lack elite ability or role seem clear that he is the odd man out.
-Struble think he leapfrog a few guys, #6/7 is probably his to lose, but he might still end up on the outside so could also be moved…
-Hutson elite offensive D, can it translate to the NHL, size will also be an issue. Probably don’t want to risk trading him now.
- Engstrom will start in the AHL probably doesn’t have enough trade value to consider moving him
8D to start if everyone is healthy is fairly normal. Injuries always happen so guys will be able to rotate in fairly regularly. And it's not really comparable to the 3 goalie situation because it's pretty much guaranteed that you'd be able to trade a guy like Kovacevik for a late round pick any time you want, so the worst case situation is you haven't maximized the trade value of a bottom pairing D which is fairly negligible as far as downsides go.

Hopefully Laval makes the playoffs and goes on a decent run because that's prime evaluation time for guys like Mailloux, Reinbacher and will help clarify the D situation moving forward. We can be patient, but we should also be open to the idea of a guy being able to steal a spot at camp if they've truly earned it.

Reactions: Rapala

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I hope it's not another Newhook type trade and it's more like a Dach value trade. Don't hate Newhook but he is a middle 6F and we need a legit top 6F with skill and can help our PP. Our pool is loaded with middle 6F potential types. Depth won't be our issue moving forward, top end skill up front is the challenge

Suzuki and Dach are a good 1/2 punch up the middle. Of course we can improve on it and have Dach play wing but if we can't, we need a winger who has 80+ pts potential.
I still have a faint hope that Newhook can prove to be a top 6er.

I would love to target Lafreniere. He has been really good this year, and Rangers will have Cap challenges in the years to come.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
And Hughes has known Struble for a very long time through youth hockey & NCAA - as much as we try to be neutral, human beings have built in biases… it’s natural
Known him ? Didn't he know him well enough that Hughes would find Struble in Hughes' kitchen making breakfast ? And we know Hughes has an affinity for players who cooked as teenagers.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Highly doubt he accepts a 2-3 year deal, he will get 4-5 most likely.
Maybe, but Giroux at the same age signed a 3 year deal to play for his childhood team. That being said, Marchessault shouldn't be considered unless we win Celebrini.

CC-Suzuki-Slaf
Celebrini-Dach-Marchessault
Newhook-Dvorak-Roy
Carrier-Evans-Armia

would be a pretty darn good forward core.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad