HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Weird thought.

Vegas will have roughly 14 mil in cap space to with at 6-9 roster spots to fill and Hanifin, Martinez, Carrier, Marchessault, Mantha and Stephenson as UFAs. They have some tough choices. If Marchessault makes it to Free Agency, does Montreal consider throwing a big AAV, short term contract at him. Say something like 8.5 mil x 2 or 3 yrs?

He's 33 and not a long term solution, but he's still really good and the kind of guy who has the experience you want young guys to learn from. He's also a QC native and probably the closest active NHL player to MSL in terms of professional experience. He'd help stabilize the forward group while Montreal keeps trade assets available for a big swing.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Weird thought.

Vegas will have roughly 14 mil in cap space to with at 6-9 roster spots to fill and Hanifin, Martinez, Carrier, Marchessault, Mantha and Stephenson as UFAs. They have some tough choices. If Marchessault makes it to Free Agency, does Montreal consider throwing a big AAV, short term contract at him. Say something like 8.5 mil x 2 or 3 yrs?

He's 33 and not a long term solution, but he's still really good and the kind of guy who has the experience you want young guys to learn from. He's also a QC native and probably the closest active NHL player to MSL in terms of professional experience. He'd help stabilize the forward group while Montreal keeps trade assets available for a big swing.

He's another RHS, but could be a good winger for Dach. I don't think he's worth $8.5m even on a short-term contract. Probably more like $6m × 2.

Reactions: EveryDay

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Weird thought.

Small, right handed, shoot-first winger that isn’t a plus defensively. He takes Caufield’s spot on the PP? Or he gets second unit minutes and under performs? He’s not a fit on the top line and I’d prefer a different look for Dach’s line.

I think it would be smart to focus on longer-term solutions at forward that can offer something we don’t already have.

I’d sign Alexandre Carrier for the second pairing though. Give the team a bit more long term stability/predictability at RD and allow us to more seamlessly move out one of Barron/Mailloux in a package for a forward.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Wondering if Hughes will be able to unload Price contracts this summer ?

Also I think Dvorak and Armia could be traded to Chicago or San Jose after or at the draft to meet the minimum salary requirement and sell them at next year trade deadline.

Hoping for a strong finish from Josh Anderson in order to raise his value.

Forget about Gallagher he's going nowhere unless a similar bad contract in coming, anybody have a worse contract in the NHL outside of Huberdeau and Dubois?

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Wondering if Hughes will be able to unload Price contracts this summer ?

Also I think Dvorak and Armia could be traded to Chicago or San Jose after or at the draft to meet the minimum salary requirement and sell them at next year trade deadline.

Hoping for a strong finish from Josh Anderson in order to raise his value.

Forget about Gallagher he's going nowhere unless a similar bad contract in coming, anybody have a worse contract in the NHL outside of Huberdeau and Dubois?
Gallagher will be the habs version of cap circumvention a la Tampa and vegas …. When we need that space

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Habs probably go after Marchessault and I hope they don't.

Would prefer Stamkos, but he won't come here.
Why not? He's on the verge of scoring 40 goals while playing a feisty type of game.

I hope he's coming here for a 2 year contract not exceeding 6.5M unless Hughes can obtain a Zegras level player against draft pick

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Why not? He's on the verge of scoring 40 goals while playing a feisty type of game.

I hope he's coming here for a 2 year contract not exceeding 6.5M unless Hughes can obtain a Zegras level player against draft pick
That's why I don't want him. He's going to likely be more on both accounts.

Good player and all, but the Habs are likely better off not spending that.

I'd take Marchessault at 3 years 7/7.5 per, but that's max. Wants more terms, take less.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
We definitely need a top winger tp play with Newhook and Dach. If we can't package our extra picks for a 25ish years old, I'd look at Marchessault, Teravainen, Guentzel or maybe even Lindholn who'd give us some flexibility but less offensive upside.

SamHabsFan

Apr 6, 2016
Quebec

If the goal is to make the playoffs, I am not against it, roy can adapt on the 3rd line and it wouldnt hurt him + ideally he would be on the 3rd line for contending years...Newhook-Dach-Marchessault is miles better than what we have now. I dont know if Marchy would accept a short term deal though...I know I wont in his position lol

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
We definitely need a top winger tp play with Newhook and Dach. If we can't package our extra picks for a 25ish years old, I'd look at Marchessault, Teravainen, Guentzel or maybe even Lindholn who'd give us some flexibility but less offensive upside.
The problem is... all those players are going to be 30, or older.

Marchessault - Small, but fiesty player. Not someone you want for more than 3 years. Maybe only 2.

Tervaianen - skilled, going to be 30 as well and soft.

Guentzel - going to be 30, probably has no interest to come to Montreal, or even Canada.

Lindholm - too much disappointment lately to give him a big contract.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
My favorite would be Marchy since the others will look for at least 5 years contract while Marchessault might sign for 2-3 seasons.

Let's wait and see where we draft and if we can select one of the top3 forwards to add the this core.

Marchessault + Celebrini/Lindstrom/Demidov could be awesome next season!

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Small, right handed, shoot-first winger that isn’t a plus defensively. He takes Caufield’s spot on the PP? Or he gets second unit minutes and under performs? He’s not a fit on the top line and I’d prefer a different look for Dach’s line.

I think it would be smart to focus on longer-term solutions at forward that can offer something we don’t already have.

I’d sign Alexandre Carrier for the second pairing though. Give the team a bit more long term stability/predictability at RD and allow us to more seamlessly move out one of Barron/Mailloux in a package for a forward.
I move Barron 100 times out of 100 before Mailloux

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The problem is... all those players are going to be 30, or older.

Marchessault - Small, but fiesty player. Not someone you want for more than 3 years. Maybe only 2.

Tervaianen - skilled, going to be 30 as well and soft.

Guentzel - going to be 30, probably has no interest to come to Montreal, or even Canada.

Lindholm - too much disappointment lately to give him a big contract.

There is one pending UFA whi has been outscoring everyone and whi would be a great fit, who you can add to your list: Monahan.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Time to play this summer.

1 x Top 6 quality forward
1 x Top pairing D

That's all the Habs needs.
Time to get all of our young prospect to the next step.

I'm confident with Suzuki, Caufield, Slafkovsky, Dach, Newhook, Roy and one more quality assets, we will have what it takes to build a very good top 6.

For the D it's an all different story, highly depend on what Hutson will show at the end of the year, but either way, one Top pairing D and everybody is being put back in the chair they should be in.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Time to get serious for Kent. He has a shit load of picks and prospect to make something happen. He has to.

Zegras is the player we need.
Habs can't give up their 1st for him, as they need that 1st to draft hopefully a high skill forward (Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom, or Catton) AND add Zegras to get the skill built up.

The problem lies in that Caufield and Zegras are both ass defensive. CC is getting a bit better at it, though.

If the Habs get in a spot to draft Lindstrom, then I really hope they can acquire Zegras.

Lawson Crouse would be a dream acquisition

Reactions: Destopcorner

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Habs can't give up their 1st for him, as they need that 1st to draft hopefully a high skill forward (Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom, or Catton) AND add Zegras to get the skill built up.

The problem lies in that Caufield and Zegras are both ass defensive. CC is getting a bit better at it, though.

If the Habs get in a spot to draft Lindstrom, then I really hope they can acquire Zegras.

Lawson Crouse would be a dream acquisition

We have 4 first round pick in the next two draft. We can work something without giving our top pick.

Reactions: Habs13

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Weird thought.

Yes to targetting Marchessault.... HELL NO to anything close to an 8M cap hit. Cap is going up but not that much lol

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I don't see any UFA that makes sense cap wise for where this team is at right now. Guentzel if fantastic, but he's 29, not 25 and he'll get a huge payday, one that'll make him terrible value in the last years of his contract. Marchessault is guy who drives premium sports car, he's going to try to cash in on what's likely his last big contract. Stamkos will never sign here. I'm fine with getting veteran help, but at the right price and contract length.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad