Speculation: Trade, FA Rumours (mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Surely these young players aren't saying "I wanna play on a team where I can be defensively irresponsible so I can pad my stats"

When you see your assistant captain getting away with it all the time, why wouldn't you expect similar leeway?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I really don't think its the system per se - it probably has everything to do with Kyle Connor jumping to the top line... while Laine got scraps for a 2C

Pretty sure Cody Eakins was the last straw
scraps

upload_2021-1-5_10-45-3.png

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He is likely talking about the 18-19 year.
not sure. eaking was not on the team in 18-19. and laine and connor played alot together in 2018-2019 with Little so not sure what on earth he is talking about tbh. nevertheless, connor has been better than laine and should play more.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
A lot of this doesn’t make sense so Laine would be happy if Connor had started on second line and Ehlers started on 1st as he is just unhappy Connor got chances right away?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
A lot of this doesn’t make sense so Laine would be happy if Connor had started on second line and Ehlers started on 1st as he is just unhappy Connor got chances right away?

It has everything to do with maximizing earnings.

Conner and Laine started their career at the same time meaning their ELC's would end at the same time and that they would have to negotiate extensions at the same time.

Laine was clearly better their first few years in the league but it was Conner that got put in the best spot possible to maximize his earnings by playing predominantly on the top line with the best players in for most of 17-18 and 18-19.

Points production is the number 1 factor in driving contract value. Conner was pit in a better spot to put up points the Laine. I imagine Laine felt slighted by this and likely felt he was equally if not more deserving of that spot then Conner. He likely also felt that Maurice cost him a big contract extension by keeping him on the second line.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
It has everything to do with maximizing earnings.

Conner and Laine started their career at the same time meaning their ELC's would end at the same time and that they would have to negotiate extensions at the same time.

Laine was clearly better their first few years in the league but it was Conner that got put in the best spot possible to maximize his earnings by playing predominantly on the top line with the best players in for most of 17-18 and 18-19.

Points production is the number 1 factor in driving contract value. Conner was pit in a better spot to put up points the Laine. I imagine Laine felt slighted by this and likely felt he was equally if not more deserving of that spot then Conner. He likely also felt that Maurice cost him a big contract extension by keeping him on the second line.

If Schiefele and Wheeler wanted Laine playing on their wings instead of Connor..... it would have happened!
Maurice did not keep Laine on the 2nd line and cost him $......(Wheeler and Schiefele preferred Connor)

Laine has nothing to cry about as he was a fixture on pp1....... he was integral part and pp1 finisher.

If he truly deserved more than 7.5 mill AAV he would have been able to drive the 2nd line better than he did.

As for Fins....... Rattanen on Colorado and Aho on Carolina drove their lines and made other people on their line play better. They deserved their $ more so than Laine.

They played so well that MacKinnon on the Avalanche and the best players on Carolina wanted to play with them....... Laine did not play well enough to have the other best players on team want to play with him....... and just like a big sulky kid in the sand box..... he wants to take his toys and go home.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
wonder how many times patrick kane complains he doesn't play top-line. or marner (pre-Tavares). or M.Tkachuk.....list goes on.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Litlle and Laine just never clicked - its obvious in all the fancy stats... Little plays well with Ehlers or Perrault or Wheeler... he's not a set up man that Laine needs

Laine got a taste of success with Statsny and then we couldn't keep him...

Little-Hayes-Little-Eakin - None of these guys were successful set up men for Laine... Little had no chemistry with Laine and Hayes couldn't win a faceoff

If you're Laine and you get bumped to the top line only until the Jets sign fkn Cody Eakins then you're demoted again... there's got to be frustration building there

Reactions: GaryPoppins

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Litlle and Laine just never clicked - its obvious in all the fancy stats... Little plays well with Ehlers or Perrault or Wheeler... he's not a set up man that Laine needs

Laine got a taste of success with Statsny and then we couldn't keep him...

Little-Hayes-Little-Eakin - None of these guys were successful set up men for Laine... Little had no chemistry with Laine and Hayes couldn't win a faceoff

If you're Laine and you get bumped to the top line only until the Jets sign fkn Cody Eakins then you're demoted again... there's got to be frustration building there
so laine is a pretty uni-dimensional player then. tons of young budding stars play with inferior players vs what laine has.

he played top line majority of last year with Scheifele, and during the month Feb they were garbage while the team was trying to make the POs. Look at the stats of the top line during the month of Feb pre Eakin, they were terrible. Maurice went to CSW for the final 10ish games and they played at a high level and one of the main contributors to our end of season success. why is this such a bad thing?

to say he's played with scraps is bs.

edit - Laine played a whopping 52mins with Eakin, and 1000+ with Scheifele..... Scraps :laugh:

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If Schiefele and Wheeler wanted Laine playing on their wings instead of Connor..... it would have happened!
Maurice did not keep Laine on the 2nd line and cost him $......(Wheeler and Schiefele preferred Connor)

Laine has nothing to cry about as he was a fixture on pp1....... he was integral part and pp1 finisher.

If he truly deserved more than 7.5 mill AAV he would have been able to drive the 2nd line better than he did.

As for Fins....... Rattanen on Colorado and Aho on Carolina drove their lines and made other people on their line play better. They deserved their $ more so than Laine.

They played so well that MacKinnon on the Avalanche and the best players on Carolina wanted to play with them....... Laine did not play well enough to have the other best players on team want to play with him....... and just like a big sulky kid in the sand box..... he wants to take his toys and go home.

I am speaking to what I feel Laine's mindset has been.

I agree that Laine should and could have done much better at forcing the issue so that Maurice had no choice in the matter.

Its another contract year this year let's see if he can up his game tonthe level required to get the role and play he wants.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
so laine is a pretty uni-dimensional player then. tons of young budding stars play with inferior players vs what laine has.

he played top line majority of last year with Scheifele, and during the month Feb they were garbage while the team was trying to make the POs. Look at the stats of the top line during the month of Feb pre Eakin, they were terrible. Maurice went to CSW for the final 10ish games and they played at a high level and one of the main contributors to our end of season success. why is this such a bad thing?

to say he's played with scraps is bs.
Not pre-Eakin... pre-Demelo

Its not really fair to judge our offence pre-DeMelo... we were flailing as a team with zero defensive system or everyone was playing way over their head

And yes Laine is a one dimensional player... like Brett Hull and Ovie... and that's fine

CSW is totally fine with me I like that line - but we needed a real 2C set up man for our shooter... two years ago - if Laine is scoring 40+ goals a season, he doesn't care about top line minutes...

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Not pre-Eakin... pre-Demelo

Its not really fair to judge our offence pre-DeMelo... we were flailing as a team with zero defensive system or everyone was playing way over their head

And yes Laine is a one dimensional player... like Brett Hull and Ovie... and that's fine

CSW is totally fine with me I like that line - but we needed a real 2C set up man for our shooter... two years ago - if Laine is scoring 40+ goals a season, he doesn't care about top line minutes...

Not sure what the difference is. Look at the stats in Feb prior to the TDL. Laine on the top line was getting caved in and they weren't scoring. Maurice made a switch to CSW and the team was thriving. Again, why is this bad?

in 18-19 CSW gets heavily criticized for their lack of efficiency (& rightfully so), yet i don't hear many ppl bring up the fact that the D group was decimated and Trouba was our only legit healthy top 4 quality defender. Yet all of a sudden, this is an excuse for laine?

Ovie was not 1 dimensional early in his career. He was scoring 40-50+ with Halpern and Zubrus as his C. He was a much stronger and faster puck-carrier than Laine too (imo) and was creating shots and chances at a huge rate. Both Halpern and zubrus are vastly inferior to what Laine has had to work with (has played primarily with combos of Scheifele/Little/Ehlers/Wheeler/Connor).

If Laine is a 10M/year player that he believe he is, then he should be able to carry a line similarly to a guy like Kane who has played with a turnstile of Cs throughout his career. The idea Laine played with "scraps" is bogus when he spent 1000 mins with Scheifele and 50 mins with Eakin at all strengths last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: JetsFan815

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Not sure what the difference is. Look at the stats in Feb prior to the TDL. Laine on the top line was getting caved in and they weren't scoring. Maurice made a switch to CSW and the team was thriving. Again, why is this bad?

in 18-19 CSW gets heavily criticized for their lack of efficiency (& rightfully so), yet i don't hear many ppl bring up the fact that the D group was decimated and Trouba was our only legit healthy top 4 quality defender. Yet all of a sudden, this is an excuse for laine?

Ovie was not 1 dimensional early in his career. He was scoring 40-50+ with Halpern and Zubrus as his C. He was a much stronger and faster puck-carrier than Laine too (imo) and was creating shots and chances at a huge rate. Both are vastly inferior to what Laine has had to work with (has played primarily with combos of Scheifele/Little/Ehlers/Wheeler/Connor).

If Laine is a 10M/year player that he believe he is, then he should be able to carry a line similarly to a guy like Kane who has played with a turnstile of Cs throughout his career. The idea Laine played with "scraps" is bogus when he spent 1000 mins with Scheifele and 50 mins with Eakin at all strengths last year.
Yep KC cant carry a line so gets paid 7 mil as a result. You want 10 mil you gotta both be able to score and do it with weaker players.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Ovie was not 1 dimensional early in his career. He was scoring 40-50+ with Halpern and Zubrus as his C. He was a much stronger and faster puck-carrier than Laine too (imo) and was creating shots and chances at a huge rate. Both Halpern and zubrus are vastly inferior to what Laine has had to work with (has played primarily with combos of Scheifele/Little/Ehlers/Wheeler/Connor).

I said scrap 2C... he's never had a setup man there other than Stats - I include Little in this as he was not a 2C in his last season maybe more - would have been a great 3C defensive forward

And I actually don't criticize CSW so stop defending them when its not needed...

Ovie was very one-dimensional early in his career - that's why Crosby won cups and Ovie didn't... although I would be playing Laine on LW instead of RW like Ovie but whatevs

I agree that Laine needs to step up and carry a line - but I also fully believe that seeing what he could do with Stats and then ending up with Eakins last year plays a major role in this request

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I said scrap 2C... he's never had a setup man there other than Stats - I include Little in this as he was not a 2C in his last season maybe more - would have been a great 3C defensive forward

And I actually don't criticize CSW so stop defending them when its not needed...

Ovie was very one-dimensional early in his career - that's why Crosby won cups and Ovie didn't... although I would be playing Laine on LW instead of RW like Ovie but whatevs

I agree that Laine needs to step up and carry a line - but I also fully believe that seeing what he could do with Stats and then ending up with Eakins last year plays a major role in this request
But he had Ehlers who is a hell of a set up man and many guys only get one great linemates and a lesser one. That said I love Laine and would love to keep him at possible even if he wants 9.5 mil.
Mathews has marner but he also a hyman.

Last edited:
Reactions: WolfHouse

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

you're the one that mentioned laine got bumped from the top line. that's the only reason why i brought up CSW

Ovie was not one-dimensional on offense. yes, as an all around player he was one dimensional (all offense no D) but in terms of producing chances/goals, he scored in a multitude of ways with a bad line-up.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
you're the one that mentioned laine got bumped from the top line. that's the only reason why i brought up CSW

Ovie was not one-dimensional on offense. yes, as an all around player he was one dimensional (all offense no D) but in terms of producing chances/goals, he scored in a multitude of ways with a bad line-up.

Outside his first few years Oviedo has always played with a number 1C, most years of his career Backstrom was a legit top 10C in the league. Ovie has played with a tonne of talent in his career.

Reactions: WolfHouse

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Outside his first few years Oviedo has always played with a number 1C, most years of his career Backstrom was a legit top 10C in the league. Ovie has played with a tonne of talent in his career.
Who was the other winger doubt they were as good as Ehlers.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I am speaking to what I feel Laine's mindset has been.

I agree that Laine should and could have done much better at forcing the issue so that Maurice had no choice in the matter.

Its another contract year this year let's see if he can up his game tonthe level required to get the role and play he wants.

It’s very simple. Connor is left handed. Laine never had a chance. Maurice is actually that simple

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
not sure what the point is you're making? the poster said ovie was one dimensional and needed a C to set him up. early in his career this was not the case offensively. he was creating offense on his own almost every time he stepped on the ice. laine can't do the same

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Washington made sure they found someone with chemistry with Ovie and kept them together... we haven't shown an effort to do that with Laine - maybe Stats turns all that around this year but that's just one season

We have zero offensive C depth that is ready to step in and produce with Laine on the 2nd line... this is a massive oversight

Suzuki sure would have been a nice pick instead of protecting Enstrom but past is past...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
not sure what the point is you're making? the poster said ovie was one dimensional and needed a C to set him up. early in his career this was not the case offensively. he was creating offense on his own almost every time he stepped on the ice. laine can't do the same

No real point just correcting the notion he didn't have much to work with.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
No real point just correcting the notion he didn't have much to work with.
early in his career look at the line ups the caps had. no where close to the jets.

rookie year Washington Capitals 2005-06 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

+49 in pts and +29 in goals from 2nd.

2nd year Washington Capitals 2006-07 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com
+19 in pts and +8 in goals from 2nd. I think it can be argued that Semin heavily a product of Ovie

compare the rosters to what Laine has now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad