Speculation: Trade, FA Rumours (mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiukafen

Sep 14, 2016
A guy who doesnt want to be here for a stud top pairing defenseman with a ultra low cap hit and a 21 year old 6'2 centerman who would have scored 50+ points over 82 games last year bouncing around the 2nd and 3rd lines in Carolina. Common man, youve gotta take your Laine glasses off.
Will Pesce and Necas be excited to play for Jets?

Last edited:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
So, a 1RD on a value contract and a 6'2 centre with the potential to be the long term 2C answer is "meh"?

My first choice would be to sign laine long term at a fair AAV but if he's determined to want out, I'm curious as to what kind d of deal you'd actually like.

I don't consider Pesce to be a 1RD. He's good, but he's not that IMO. There is risk with Necas is what I'm saying. This is trading a high end piece in Laine, for 2 "good" pieces, and really we are putting in a lot of the value in the trade needing Necas to take a few more steps forward. If it wasn't for the contract portions of it, I'd like it less. I'm not saying it's fire Chevy bad, but I don't see it as an amazing return.

- Contracts we get back are good value and Necas is even on his ELC
- RD is obviously a nice addition
- Necas has potential to improve

Dislike
- Chevy needs to add players to offset the scoring loss (will have a little additional cap, but has to find the available player)
- Risk involved in Necas becoming the player we would need to not hugely lose this trade. He's only 1 year younger than Laine and not close to the player ATM.
- Pesce shoulder
- Pesce not a true #1D (good but more of a 2nd pair guy or a guy who can run shotgun on a top pair if needed and has an elite partner)
- Lose an elite piece and really get no elite piece back
- Expansion draft concerns

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Not saying we have to trade Laine (because we have time), but if the Jets were interested in rolling the dice, just thinking out loud, what about an unsigned (because signed he would be worth more) Hamilton and Necas?

You then throw the kitchen sink at Hamilton al la something similar to AP. 8 million or so for 5+ years. If he's not interested you deal him for a haul at the TD.

If he does extend, you have Hamilton, Pionk, and Demelo on the right (depending on how much Pionk wants). This summer the Jets would have Stas and MP coming off the books (10.6M). You use that space to add to the top 6/9 as Hamilton's $ comes from what Laine would have got.

If he doesn't extend, you have a boatload of assets, and even more space to use this summer. More risk, but at least a chance to get a more elite player in Hamilton. Let's the Cane's keep Pesce and his value contract which could help them sign Svech and Laine.

Still have a potential XD issue, but I'd be a little less worried about needing Necas to take big steps if we also somehow got Hamilton to sign.

Not super realistic obviously, teams don't take those kinds of risks. I do like the possible upside more though.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Not saying we have to trade Laine (because we have time), but if the Jets were interested in rolling the dice, just thinking out loud, what about an unsigned (because signed he would be worth more) Hamilton and Necas?

You then throw the kitchen sink at Hamilton al la something similar to AP. 8 million or so for 5+ years. If he's not interested you deal him for a haul at the TD.

If he does extend, you have Hamilton, Pionk, and Demelo on the right (depending on how much Pionk wants). This summer the Jets would have Stas and MP coming off the books (10.6M). You use that space to add to the top 6/9 as Hamilton's $ comes from what Laine would have got.

If he doesn't extend, you have a boatload of assets, and even more space to use this summer. More risk, but at least a chance to get a more elite player in Hamilton. Let's the Cane's keep Pesce and his value contract which could help them sign Svech and Laine.

Still have a potential XD issue, but I'd be a little less worried about needing Necas to take big steps if we also somehow got Hamilton to sign.

Not super realistic obviously, teams don't take those kinds of risks. I do like the possible upside more though.
I wouldn't trade Laine unless Hamilton comes with an extension - similar to Stone at the TDL to Vegas. As a rental i doubt Hamilton more than a 1st (from a PO contender so pick 16-32)+B Prospect. Could be wrong but, doubt he'd fetch a bluechip prospect at the TD as a rental.

So ultimately Laine for a 1st+B Prospect+Necas+30ish games of Hamilton? idk seems thin. I think that deal has to come with Hamilton negotiated extension.

for XD i move Pionk

a top 4 long-term consisting of

Morrissey-Hamilton
Samberg/Heinola-Demelo

think that's a very solid mix of offensive and defensive upside

Reactions: surixon

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I wouldn't trade Laine unless Hamilton comes with an extension - similar to Stone at the TDL to Vegas. As a rental i doubt Hamilton more than a 1st (from a PO contender so pick 16-32)+B Prospect. Could be wrong but, doubt he'd fetch a bluechip prospect at the TD as a rental.

So ultimately Laine for a 1st+B Prospect+Necas+30ish games of Hamilton? idk seems thin. I think that deal has to come with Hamilton negotiated extension.

for XD i move Pionk

a top 4 long-term consisting of

Morrissey-Hamilton
Samberg/Heinola-Demelo

think that's a very solid mix of offensive and defensive upside

Possibly. But an extended Stone didn't cost a Laine asset.

What's our Brannstrom, Lindberg, and second equivalent? And then trade Laine for PLD (+). :naughty:

Last edited:

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
It’s a garbage trade , if we are not getting a Seth Jones caliber dman it’s not going to make sense for me
If its garbage then why hasnt Carolina pulled the trigger and "fleeced" us?? ITS BECAUSE ITS A GOOD TRADE FOR THE JETS.

Last edited:

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
we have demelo, pesce is better but not by that much and necas hasn't played center in the nhl yet so who knows if he will even make that transition
He has played center at times for Carolina albeit sporadically. He's got a better shot at playing and sticking at center than Perfetti does based on size alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Upperdeckjet

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
Pesce isnt flashy but he's exactly what you want in your top pairing. Good size, reliable, solid in both zones, and can chip in points. He would be a top 2 defenseman on many teams, including the Jets.
I also believe he would be an excellent candidate to pair with Josh. I believe he would allow Morrissey to activate his play.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Rumour out there that Carolina is still high on Laine, chevy's ask is Necas and Pesce. Carolina balking (understandably - I do that deal all day). Saw it on main boards. Carolina fans also balking

I also balk at it. Need to make sure Pesce is good to go as he’s the main piece. Necas is a great piece but not near enough for Laine so it comes down to Pesce and if his shoulder isn’t the same it’s not good for the Jets at all.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Pesce isnt flashy but he's exactly what you want in your top pairing. Good size, reliable, solid in both zones, and can chip in points. He would be a top 2 defenseman on many teams, including the Jets.

He's good, but he had 18 points last year. Poolman had 16.

Reactions: Teemusalami204

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I also believe he would be an excellent candidate to pair with Josh. I believe he would allow Morrissey to activate his play.

I don’t think Morrissey will ever activate his play. Last year is what Morrissey truly is now. One hard check away from re injuring him self. He will be a soft player who using his stick more then his body from now on

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I don’t think Morrissey will ever activate his play. Last year is what Morrissey truly is now. One hard check away from re injuring him self. He will be a soft player who using his stick more then his body from now on

Morrissey trains hard. Defense isn't about running guys through the boards as much as anticipation and reaction. I think he'll be fine, last year was his first year as the leader of the defense, with that A on his sweater. I think he'll be more consistent, when he finds a d-partner who can consistently complement his game, like Trouba did. Going into 2018-2019 he was our youngest defenseman. Now he is the vet of the group, in terms of experience. I hope with his injuries behind him, he can rip the puck more. That GTG in the Heritage got me out of my chair.

Morrissey will evolve into an elite shut down defender over his career, I predict.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Morrissey trains hard. Defense isn't about running guys through the boards as much as anticipation and reaction. I think he'll be fine, last year was his first year as the leader of the defense, with that A on his sweater. I think he'll be more consistent, when he finds a d-partner who can consistently complement his game, like Trouba did. Going into 2018-2019 he was our youngest defenseman. Now he is the vet of the group, in terms of experience. I hope with his injuries behind him, he can rip the puck more. That GTG in the Heritage got me out of my chair.

Morrissey will evolve into an elite shut down defender over his career, I predict.

He might play hard but I don’t see the intensity needed to be elite in anything. He’s very passive and I think that’s what he’s been told to evolve too

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
I would be lying if I said I was not concerned with last years performance. I want to chalk it up to the massive changes on our back end, but I will be watching Morrissey closely this year. His lack of speed going back for pucks raised my eyebrows many times. Oh my god, he was plenty slow! Injured for most of last year? Maybe, we shall see.

His contract was shaping up to be a fair contract over 8 years. With the flat cap for the next while, I'm not as confident it won't hurt us down the road.

In the mean time, I think it all starts with the right partner for him.

Reactions: Teemusalami204

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
He might play hard but I don’t see the intensity needed to be elite in anything. He’s very passive and I think that’s what he’s been told to evolve too

Last year was a body count on defense, I think that reflected in some playing styles. We couldn't afford to lose Josh last year, and he was probably told to stay healthy, as best as possible. I think if he went down this year, we could give Heinola a chance to replace him. I also think as Heinola develops into an offensive threat, the more we can rely on Morrissey to carry us defensively 5 on 5. Not with the likes of Poolman, and Kulikov, but better players. I think Morrissey-De Melo should match up well, as a skating pair, in the North. I'd rate Hughes, Reilly, Chabot as potentially better players, not so sure about Nurse or Gio, as he ages. Defensively, I still think Morrissey is very smart, and good with stick position. Skating isn't an issue. For a smaller defenseman I'd say he boxes out pretty well too, which is core strength.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I would be lying if I said I was not concerned with last years performance. I want to chalk it up to the massive changes on our back end, but I will be watching Morrissey closely this year. His lack of speed going back for pucks raised my eyebrows many times. Oh my god, he was plenty slow! Injured for most of last year? Maybe, we shall see.

His contract was shaping up to be a fair contract over 8 years. With the flat cap for the next while, I'm not as confident it won't hurt us down the road.

In the mean time, I think it all starts with the right partner for him.

I’m with you I’m hoping

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Last year was a body count on defense, I think that reflected in some playing styles. We couldn't afford to lose Josh last year, and he was probably told to stay healthy, as best as possible. I think if he went down this year, we could give Heinola a chance to replace him. I also think as Heinola develops into an offensive threat, the more we can rely on Morrissey to carry us defensively 5 on 5. Not with the likes of Poolman, and Kulikov, but better players. I think Morrissey-De Melo should match up well, as a skating pair, in the North. I'd rate Hughes, Reilly, Chabot as potentially better players, not so sure about Nurse or Gio, as he ages. Defensively, I still think Morrissey is very smart, and good with stick position. Skating isn't an issue. For a smaller defenseman I'd say he boxes out pretty well too, which is core strength.

I’m hoping last year wasn’t the new him. I just think that the injury is worse then the org said. It seriously changed everything about him.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Thats fine from a 10th overall draft pick.

It is not bad at all. I think that’s why they drafted him. They know laines a goner and has 3 years left. Time frame fits pretty well.

If they wanted him at 2c they would of drafted Lundell. He’s everything we need ( defense ) in a top 6 player.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
It is not bad at all. I think that’s why they drafted him. They know laines a goner and has 3 years left. Time frame fits pretty well.

If they wanted him at 2c they would of drafted Lundell. He’s everything we need ( defense ) in a top 6 player.

I still think he has a chance at 2C. Lundell isn't bad either but I think a couple of teams ahead of us might regret taking Quinn and Holtz over Perfetti.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016

I thought you meant to replace Wheeler after the first sentence haha. That makes a lot more sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad