Trade, FA & Rumour 2021 Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truenorthducky

Oct 10, 2020
If Copp won't re-sign with the Jets for a contract the Jets can live with, then you work out a fair value trade. I think his trade value is more than others that we might lose in the expansion draft.
Make no mistake about it ; copp is going to want at least 4 and change at 5 years. If that’s the case we cannot pay two thirds of our 3rd line almost 5 per year. The following year Appleton’s contract will be up and he’s gonna want a raise as well.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think Copp and Lowry might come in around $4M, or so, over a 4-5 year term. I also think the Jets might pay that to maintain the strong defensive presence and PK in the bottom-6. They can likely afford that for the next few years, and then the salary cap is likely going to start rising.

Reactions: WolfHouse

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Copp is still RFA... he's not going to get awarded $5 million in a flat cap league

I only want to see Copp traded if its part of a package for a number one RHD

If he goes arb, he will probably be awarded ~3.5M for 1 year. We only have his rights next year. If he wants out I say trade him this off season. He’s a very good 3rd liner who can move up when need be. He’s worth a 2nd max. He will not be the deciding factor in a trade for a T2 Dman. If we can save Harkins, Berdin, Stanley (and possibly Apple) by giving up BooLoo and Copp WHILE getting a 3rd rounder back, I think we need to do that. What if that 4.75M (Copp 3.5/BooLoo 1.25) is the deciding factor on signing Hamilton?
All of this is dependant on him resigning, if it’s announced tomorrow that he resigns then perfect. I love him on the team and would love to have him for the next 4-5 years, but I don’t see it happening.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
if it’s announced tomorrow that he resigns then perfect. I love him on the team and would love to have him for the next 4-5 years, but I don’t see it happening.
Same here, love to have him on the team for 4 years at 3.75m per year but that is n't going to happen.
Overcharge will get him to UFA and then he is gone.
If Seattle gives us a 3rd and takes Boolow, I am happy to trade Copper for that (depending on the players left open to the draft).

Reactions: jgimp

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Same here, love to have him on the team for 4 years at 3.75m per year but that is n't going to happen.
Overcharge will get him to UFA and then he is gone.
If Seattle gives us a 3rd and takes Boolow, I am happy to trade Copper for that (depending on the players left open to the draft).

Lennox or Gaudreau maybe. We need some more goalie prospects

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I think Copp's asking price to re-sign just dropped after watching Roslo and Laine's seasons...

And no we are not signing Dougie Hamilton - the Jets will never ever be in on the 'biggest' name in UFA...

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
If he goes arb, he will probably be awarded ~3.5M for 1 year. We only have his rights next year. If he wants out I say trade him this off season. He’s a very good 3rd liner who can move up when need be. He’s worth a 2nd max. He will not be the deciding factor in a trade for a T2 Dman. If we can save Harkins, Berdin, Stanley (and possibly Apple) by giving up BooLoo and Copp WHILE getting a 3rd rounder back, I think we need to do that. What if that 4.75M (Copp 3.5/BooLoo 1.25) is the deciding factor on signing Hamilton?
All of this is dependant on him resigning, if it’s announced tomorrow that he resigns then perfect. I love him on the team and would love to have him for the next 4-5 years, but I don’t see it happening.
How many more years is booboo even signed for?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Lennox or Gaudreau maybe. We need some more goalie prospects
Do we need more goalie prospects? For some reason don’t see the need. We need rw, we need a 1d. In the the things we need goalies are very low so would rather throw darts at that wing and D position.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Copp is into the echelon of Goodrow, Coleman and other 2nd tier forwards that garnered late first round picks and more. Even if the Jets can't sign him long term, he will have high trade value - much too high to squander it on an expansion draft dump.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Copp is into the echelon of Goodrow, Coleman and other 2nd tier forwards that garnered late first round picks and more. Even if the Jets can't sign him long term, he will have high trade value - much too high to squander it on an expansion draft dump.
A player drafted late 1st or 2nd won’t be able to help for a few years if he has to go, Harkins and Stanley help right now. Helly’s Wheeler Schief window is shrinking.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Whileee

May 29, 2010
A player drafted late 1st or 2nd won’t be able to help for a few years if he has to go, Harkins and Stanley help right now. Helly’s Wheeler Schief window is shrinking.
Copp helps right now, too. I was mentioning Copp's trade value to illustrate. The Jets could acquire other NHL-ready players instead of Copp, if they decide they need to trade him. The point is that he would likely return a player better than Harkins in trade. Stanley is more of a wild card, but they could certainly acquire a D that would at least be a sure bet in a second pairing in exchange for Copp.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
And no we are not signing Dougie Hamilton - the Jets will never ever be in on the 'biggest' name in UFA...

Don't be so sure - Hamilton is such a weirdo he might just come knocking on Chevy's door just to be close to some obscure museums.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Don't be so sure - Hamilton is such a weirdo he might just come knocking on Chevy's door just to be close to some obscure museums.

Jets might league the NHL in "Scholastic Player of the Year" awards (Hamilton won it with the OHL).

Jets' Scholastic Player of the Year winners...

Josh Morrissey
Nelson Nogier
Adam Lowry
Cole Perfetti

Also, if he likes museums, I wonder if he might like Inuit art. The Jets have a fabulous new museum focusing on that (not to mention the terrific Museum for Human Rights).

Qaumajuq » WAG

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
If Copp won't re-sign with the Jets for a contract the Jets can live with, then you work out a fair value trade. I think his trade value is more than others that we might lose in the expansion draft.

Copp would be highly valued by any contender at next year’s trade deadline and wouldn’t be surprised if he brought back a late 1st especially if he continues to grow his offensive game.

Reactions: kellhunter

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
That's what I was thinking.
Meanwhile, re-sign MP to a 1 x 1.5m (or so) deal and train Gus to take Copper's spot.
Last thing we need is to re-sign MP when we have Vesa, Harkins, and others ready to move into the lineup.... PoMo will play the vet over the kid every time, and the kids development will suffer.
If we are bringing MP back, we might as well trade Vesa.
In my opinion, our best option is to let MP walk. Harkins can easily cover his production and minutes.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Last thing we need is to re-sign MP when we have Vesa, Harkins, and others ready to move into the lineup.... PoMo will play the vet over the kid every time, and the kids development will suffer.
In my opinion, our best option is to let MP walk. Harkins can easily cover his production and minutes.

I feel like Harkins is starting to get hugely overrated.

Pop quiz! Who has scored more points for the Winnipeg Jets? Jansen Harkins or Spencer Machacek?

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Agree for the most part — although Harkins may have to attend a few skills camps after playing only a handful of games this season under the long, bearded shadow of Nate the Skate Thompson. And if it isn’t MP being signed as a designated grizzled vet, it’ll be someone else.

PoMo is on record as proclaiming this years 4th line as the best he’s ever run. He’ll want to replicate it next season as closely as possible, IMO.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
I'm not sure why we'd protect Stanley over Demelo. For the little bit Stanley is showing us I don't really see him being anything above a 3rd pairing guy ever. There's a strong possibility that he is never much more than he is right now. There are dozens of guys in that tier that we can grab at anytime for basically nothing. Demelo is a proven 4-5 guy who is a solid PK option. He will be very attractive to Seattle. Remember that the main strategy Vegas had in their XD was to grab a bunch of those 4-5 D to use as assets in trade and they ended up keeping them and having a deep D corps that went to the SCF.

Demelo is going to be a key guy for us to integrate Heinola and Samberg. I guess they'll maybe have a tough time exposing Stanley after picking him in the first round, but I don't even really see him on our roster as soon as next year. I guess he might be the press box guy.

If we have Appleton protected I see no reason to deal with Seattle. Expose Harkins, expose Stanley, expose Berdin and move on with our lives down one of them. If we are dealing with Seattle it's to have them take someone like Thompson/any UFA we don't want like we did with Vegas trading down in the 1st round for them to take Thorburn.
Disagree about your view on Stanley, I think he is playing outstanding and already equal or above Demelo level. His physicality, and big shot which seems to get to the net are huge

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I think Copp and Lowry might come in around $4M, or so, over a 4-5 year term. I also think the Jets might pay that to maintain the strong defensive presence and PK in the bottom-6. They can likely afford that for the next few years, and then the salary cap is likely going to start rising.
I think it depends on what they do on d, whether they can afford Copp and Lowry under the cap.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021

I respectfully disagree. Perreault is a very valuable player. I agree that you want your young players playing but you also need players who can drive their lines and put them in positions to succeed.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Agree for the most part — although Harkins may have to attend a few skills camps after playing only a handful of games this season under the long, bearded shadow of Nate the Skate Thompson. And if it isn’t MP being signed as a designated grizzled vet, it’ll be someone else.

PoMo is on record as proclaiming this years 4th line as the best he’s ever run. He’ll want to replicate it next season as closely as possible, IMO.

Is he wrong? They’re running at ~55 xG% and haven’t been scored on at 5v5, while starting 60% of their shifts in the Dzone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad