Trade, FA & Rumour 2021 Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I’d trade Vesalainen for Nolan Patrick, and that’s likely giving to much.....and I’m a Nolan Patrick fan!!!
I remember ppl wanted to trade trouba for Patrick at troubs' height. Now ves is considered to much. My oh my :laugh:

Reactions: BatVader

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think the Jets' best option for the expansion draft is to offer picks and/or prospects to Seattle to take one of the Jets' second-tier young forwards / prospects. It's much easier for the Jets to use any cap space to pick up a good young bottom-6 forward than to fill a D slot like Stanley or DeMelo. I also think that the Jets would be absolutely foolish to let Lowry go.
Forwards protected:

Wheeler (NMC)
Scheifele
Ehlers
Connor
PLD
Copp
Appleton

(Lowry as UFA is left unprotected, but re-signed after the expansion draft. Obviously, the Jets would need to have agreed on contract terms before the expansion draft).

D protected:

Pionk
Morrissey
Stanley (or DeMelo)

(The Jets would need to protect whoever they think Seattle is more interested in. It's probably DeMelo, but he will be 28 years old and very likely will age out before Seattle is a contender, so they might go for the younger Stanley and hope he is a home run).

In any case, I would offer something like Vesalainen and a mid-round pick, or maybe a 2nd and a lower prospect to have Seattle select Harkins. I would think that Harkins has some value, so I doubt that the Jets would need to offer that much extra. It might turn into a game of nerves - the Jets could tell them that they can have Vesalainen if they take Harkins, or they can take DeMelo. Would Seattle prefer to take the very reliable 28-year old D, or a couple of young forwards with potential?

In any case, I think the Jets can much more easily replace a couple of young forwards using their cap space than they could DeMelo and maybe Stanley.

I don't want to lose Harkins either. I think people are forgetting how good he was last year, when he got to actually play. I'm not at all sure that Stanley is worth any more than Harkins is.

Stanley is playing well highly sheltered on the 3rd pair. Harkins played well up and down the depth chart last year. Make our list of protections. IF Chevy does that deal with Lowry, which I am not at all confident in, it is entirely possible that Seattle takes Harkins without any incentive. If they take Stanley, too bad. He is replaced by Samberg next year anyway.

No effing way am I going to give them Vesalainen and Harkins and a 3rd. If I give them a 3rd to take the player we want, that player is Suess. OK, if it is Suess, I give them a 2nd. But that's it! Tops.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not sure why we'd protect Stanley over Demelo. For the little bit Stanley is showing us I don't really see him being anything above a 3rd pairing guy ever. There's a strong possibility that he is never much more than he is right now. There are dozens of guys in that tier that we can grab at anytime for basically nothing. Demelo is a proven 4-5 guy who is a solid PK option. He will be very attractive to Seattle. Remember that the main strategy Vegas had in their XD was to grab a bunch of those 4-5 D to use as assets in trade and they ended up keeping them and having a deep D corps that went to the SCF.

Demelo is going to be a key guy for us to integrate Heinola and Samberg. I guess they'll maybe have a tough time exposing Stanley after picking him in the first round, but I don't even really see him on our roster as soon as next year. I guess he might be the press box guy.

If we have Appleton protected I see no reason to deal with Seattle. Expose Harkins, expose Stanley, expose Berdin and move on with our lives down one of them. If we are dealing with Seattle it's to have them take someone like Thompson/any UFA we don't want like we did with Vegas trading down in the 1st round for them to take Thorburn.

I think you are underrating Stanley a bit. He looks like becoming a good 3rd pair D. That is a 5/4. I was even favourably impressed with his skating last night. As long as he stays within his ability and doesn't become overconfident, he could be quite good. But I think we need to see him playing bigger minutes with an actual 3rd pairing partner, like Poolman.

But Stanley is younger and cheaper, at least for a while. Give Stanley an extra bonus point for his size. Give DeMelo some credit for his experience and smarts. All done, I think it is just about a coin toss.

But I agree with exposing Harkins, DeMelo/Stanley, and Berdin. Let them take their pick, unless a 2nd or 3rd would be enough to persuade them to take Suess. That depends on getting a little help from Lowry on the contract signing.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The point wasn't to lose DeMelo, it was to keep both DeMelo and Stanley.

Basically the question is whether you'd rather keep Stanley or DeMelo or Vesalainen and Harkins. Is Stanley worth Ves and Harkins? Is DeMelo? They might be, considering the Jets' pipeline and weakness on RD.

That's just an argument for protecting DeMelo over Stanley, since he is a RHS.

We have 5 UFA forwards in our top 12 and Wheeler starting to age out. Copp is only another year away from UFA. We have 4 promising F prospects. We are going to need all of them. Losing Stanley might be the best result we could hope for.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
That's just an argument for protecting DeMelo over Stanley, since he is a RHS.

We have 5 UFA forwards in our top 12 and Wheeler starting to age out. Copp is only another year away from UFA. We have 4 promising F prospects. We are going to need all of them. Losing Stanley might be the best result we could hope for.
Disagree. Best result is losing Berdin. Back up goalies are replaceable and hopefully Helly doesn’t need a long term replacement for a long time.
Also getting bit nervous Samberg isn’t the top 4 player we are hoping for.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Heinola is on the taxi squad and there is an empty roster space. No problem. Samberg can easily be added to the taxi squad and rotated in for a couple of games. Roster/waivers/etc is no impediment to playing either of those guys.

Stanley is waiver exempt so he could go to the taxi squad for a game or two at any time. Ves is on the Moose roster already.
And those are Chevy’s decisions to make and not Maurice’s which was my original point. Once either Heinola or Samberg are on the NHL roster Maurice gets to make the call if they see game action.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Disagree. Best result is losing Berdin. Back up goalies are replaceable and hopefully Helly doesn’t need a long term replacement for a long time.
Also getting bit nervous Samberg isn’t the top 4 player we are hoping for.

True, Berdin probably is the best result. But deep down inside I'm hoping he becomes Hasek 2.0 + some extra entertainment. If that happens, I want it to be with Jets.

Yes, Samberg is looking like just another D prospect right now. Its not like he is 20 YO in his first season after Jr. He did 3 full years of NCAA. They are supposed to be pretty nearly NHL ready by then. Hope he is just a little slow adapting and he will break out all of a sudden pretty soon.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
And those are Chevy’s decisions to make and not Maurice’s which was my original point. Once either Heinola or Samberg are on the NHL roster Maurice gets to make the call if they see game action.

Agreed.
I imagine Chevy could tell Maurice that he wants to see some of these guys play, but I don't think that is how Jets do things. That would be a GM stepping on his coach's toes.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
True, Berdin probably is the best result. But deep down inside I'm hoping he becomes Hasek 2.0 + some extra entertainment. If that happens, I want it to be with Jets.

Yes, Samberg is looking like just another D prospect right now. Its not like he is 20 YO in his first season after Jr. He did 3 full years of NCAA. They are supposed to be pretty nearly NHL ready by then. Hope he is just a little slow adapting and he will break out all of a sudden pretty soon.
What gives you that idea about Berdin? If it’s going to happen, it will happen where he has to chance to start sooner. Not behind a venzina nominee goalie.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Not bad. I think we lose Copp anyways once he hits FA. At least we get something in return.
That's what I was thinking.
Meanwhile, re-sign MP to a 1 x 1.5m (or so) deal and train Gus to take Copper's spot.

Reactions: jgimp

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
If we have to sacrifice a forward and a pick to keep Stanley and Demelo I'm okay if that, maybe we forgot some of the D we rolled with the last few years

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I'd make a deal with Seattle that they draft Bealieu and then I would trade them Copper for a 3rd.
They get Boolow and Copper, we get a 3rd.
Really? Copp is worth way more than that. He needs to be protected not given away at the expansion draft. Now, if we can't sign him to a longer contract then things change. Still, he would have a lot more value than what you suggest IMO.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Really? Copp is worth way more than that. He needs to be protected not given away at the expansion draft.

Would you say the same if he leaves after next year? His arb last year didn’t go well, his agent is the same agent that marches his clients to UFA. He is arbitration eligible again and we only own him one more year. I love Copp but if he shows no interest in signing an extension then the writing is on the wall

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Really? Copp is worth way more than that. He needs to be protected not given away at the expansion draft. Now, if we can't sign him to a longer contract then things change. Still, he would have a lot more value than what you suggest IMO.
They're taking Boolow off of our hands and giving us a 3rd.
I think it is fair.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Would you say the same if he leaves after next year? His arb last year didn’t go well, his agent is the same agent that marches his clients to UFA. He is arbitration eligible again and we only own him one more year. I love Copp but if he shows no interest in signing an extension then the writing is on the wall
If Copp won't re-sign with the Jets for a contract the Jets can live with, then you work out a fair value trade. I think his trade value is more than others that we might lose in the expansion draft.

Reactions: Pongs21 and Heldig

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
If Copp won't re-sign with the Jets for a contract the Jets can live with, then you work out a fair value trade. I think his trade value is more than others that we might lose in the expansion draft.
Copp is still RFA... he's not going to get awarded $5 million in a flat cap league

I only want to see Copp traded if its part of a package for a number one RHD

Truenorthducky

Oct 10, 2020
Make no mistake about it ; copp is going to want at least 4 and change at 5 years. If that’s the case we cannot pay two thirds of our 3rd line almost 5 per year. The following year Appleton’s contract will be up and he’s gonna want a raise as well.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad