Trade, FA & Rumour 2021 Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
If the Jets pick up a defenceman, I want them to go big and pick up someone like John Klingberg. I feel like Chevy has a big, unexpected pickup in him, just like when he first acquired Statsny.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If the Jets pick up a defenceman, I want them to go big and pick up someone like John Klingberg. I feel like Chevy has a big, unexpected pickup in him, just like when he first acquired Statsny.

Dallas still has Klingberg under contract for another year after this one. Can't see them letting him go yet. More likely they try and move Oleksiak if they are out of a playoff spot.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Dallas still has Klingberg under contract for another year after this one. Can't see them letting him go yet. More likely they try and move Oleksiak if they are out of a playoff spot.
Hard to say with Dallas- really difficult to evaluate them having played so few games compared to others in the Central. 6-8-4 start isn’t exactly noteworthy.

They would probably do well to sell a guy like Klingberg, pick up a 1st and top prospect, get a high pick of their own this year, and retool for next year.

Edit: Just to add, current Don Luszczyszyn models show Dallas finishing 5th in the Central behind TBL, CAR, FLA, CHI.

Last edited:

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
Vatanen and Savard would be the two defenceman I would like to see the jets pursue for the Stanley cup push. Both expiring contracts. Niku needs a new life in another organization and we still have the 3rd round pick we can move.
Maybe bring Zajak home as well also expiring contract in New Jersey.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Hard to say with Dallas- really difficult to evaluate them having played so few games compared to others in the Central. 6-8-4 start isn’t exactly noteworthy.

They would probably do well to sell a guy like Klingberg, pick up a 1st and top prospect, get a high pick of their own this year, and retool for next year.

Edit: Just to add, current Don Luszczyszyn models show Dallas finishing 5th in the Central behind TBL, CAR, FLA, CHI.

I think they'll be under pressure to go hard and try and make playoffs after coming up 2 games short of a Cup. They shouldn't have any issues keeping Klingberg through the expansion draft and aren't likely to lose anyone who is to important. Next year seems like the more likely year to try and move Klingebrg, after the expansion draft, when more teams have the prospect of potentially being able to keep him. And perhaps when more teams have the cap to take him on.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
TSN Senior Hockey Reporter Frank Seravalli said Thursday prior to the team firing head coach Geoff Ward and hiring Darryl Sutter that general manager Brad Treliving has been looking for a winger to play alongside Sean Monahan and Johnny Gaudreau.

"A lot of people are wondering what Brad Treliving is up to. Well, he's on the hunt for a right winger. Not just a guy who plays on the right side but a right-shooting winger," Seravalli said on Insider Trading.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Is Ekholm the one with big pants or this that the other guy?

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I'm having a hard time seeing us giving up the assets needed to land an impact D-man.
We can't really afford to part with a 1st for an expiring contract and anyone with term only complicates the expansion draft strategy.
What if its John Klingberg...

Reactions: SM

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
What if its John Klingberg...

Obviously there's exceptions but what would he cost to acquire and then who do we possibly lose by having to protect him? I think the Jets would need to show a more complete game to really justify any kind of an "all-in" type move.

We're having a really good season but the lack of variety in opponents could be further shielding our weak spots beyond what we can see.

Jets probably need two upgrades on D to really be considered a serious threat for the Cup and if one of those doesn't come from within house then the cost to acquire those pieces is likely more then we can pay (short and long term).

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
weibe lost me at “ pre emptive strike “ Chevy has never done that and won’t this time. He will wait as long as he can before adding.

Ekholms strength is clearing the front of the net. This should make him a target because we don’t have one defensman clearing the front of our net effectively

He went out and got DeMelo and Eakin before last years trade deadline. Also preemptively got Stastny back for the entirety of this season. Most of his other TD deals tend to be day of. Like Stastny the 1st time and Hayes, among others. Though both times he went out and got Stastny look like great deals. Only really waits until the last possible second when dealing disgruntled players. Kane, Trouba, Laine. So far he hasn't really done to bad on any of those either. Give me Pionk over Trouba 10 days of the week and 3 times on any 2nd friday of every month. Dubois makes us far more complete than the duo of Rosie/Laine ever has. Kane trade was meh, but Kane is a meh kinda guy so the value was equal I suppose.

If anything Chevy will likely try and get a player as soon as possible to get them on the ice as soon as possible. Unless he's gambling on quarantine restrictions being lifted, which I don't think is something he would do. The only thing that would likely stop this deal from happening is other suitors driving up the price, Nashville not wanting to do business with us or us not really being comfortable offering up the right goods.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I'm having a hard time seeing us giving up the assets needed to land an impact D-man.
We can't really afford to part with a 1st for an expiring contract and anyone with term only complicates the expansion draft strategy.

That’s why Savard might make more sense. First off, he is a RHD. Secondly I see Ekholm as being coveted by more teams which will drive up the cost. And lastly, the cost on Savard may not be as steep due to him being a UFA and maybe not performing up to his own standards on a floundering Columbus team.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
That’s why Savard might make more sense. First off, he is a RHD. Secondly I see Ekholm as being coveted by more teams which will drive up the cost. And lastly, the cost on Savard may not be as steep due to him being a UFA and maybe not performing up to his own standards on a floundering Columbus team.
If we bring in David Savard to be our 1RHD, we are finished.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Obviously there's exceptions but what would he cost to acquire and then who do we possibly lose by having to protect him? I think the Jets would need to show a more complete game to really justify any kind of an "all-in" type move.

We're having a really good season but the lack of variety in opponents could be further shielding our weak spots beyond what we can see.

Jets probably need two upgrades on D to really be considered a serious threat for the Cup and if one of those doesn't come from within house then the cost to acquire those pieces is likely more then we can pay (short and long term).
I'm curious how we show a more complete game...?

We only have bad games when Beaulieu is in our top D pairing... we look 'good' when Poolman is up there and he's really not a great Dman...

JoMo-Klingberg
Forbort-Pionk
Beaulieu/Stanley-Poolman

That is a Stanley Cup D core paired with our top 9

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I'm curious how we show a more complete game...?

We only have bad games when Beaulieu is in our top D pairing... we look 'good' when Poolman is up there and he's really not a great Dman...

JoMo-Klingberg
Forbort-Pionk
Beaulieu/Stanley-Poolman

That is a Stanley Cup D core paired with our top 9

By not consistently taking entire periods off.
By not consistently losing the fancy stats battles.
We still don't seem to have the commitment to team defense as we did in 2018.
The "pack of wolves" mentality seemed to be a significant part of that team.

We are a good team but not an obvious contender (at this point).
I realize that it's a bit of a chicken before the egg scenario.
We need better D to improve and we need to improve to be worth the cost of acquiring the better D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad