Around the NHL 2023-2024

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Right again? So this is the second time?

Marner and Tavares were the ones who let the Leafs down in this one. 5 points combined in 7 games ain't worth $22 million.

When you're paid 13 mill a year 4 points in 5 games from matthews is not good enough, do not give him a free pass.
I liked the call to go with Samsonov in game 7. That was not an easy decision.

Watching the at game, even though they lost I was jealous of the team speed Toronto has compared with the Blues.
Woll was hurt. It wasn't a decision when they had no choice.
Trade Kyrou for Marner.

I will take the headcase who was a Selke finalist last year over Kyrou. Both need a change of scenery.

Marner + filler later round picks for Kyrou + Krug
Not at all. I let him get away from that market and inflate his value, then flip him in a deadline deal for a nice long term haul.
We have a chance to free us of massive dead cap hits in Kyrou and Krug in my proposal. Taking on Marner and then flipping him later is how we will speed up this rebuild while also increasing cap flexibility down the road.

How do you expect Marner to rebuild is value when his value has tanked because of his playoff performance and we can't make the playoffs? It's also not like we have a trigger man for him to get free points off of like Matthews. You're absolutely delusional. Also btw, Marner plays video games too.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Turbonium

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Your bitter hatred of Kyrou is really clouding what you think would be the correct move right now. You really want to pay Marner 11 Mil this year AND THEN resign him to another 12Mil long term deal afterwards.
It's even goofier when you remember the reason why he dislikes Kyrou so much is because he's getting paid 2/3 of what he wants to pay Marner.

Kyrou is paid to score goals and is not even doing what he is paid to do. Plus he is a perennial - +- player.

You mean the player who has 15 more goals in the last two seasons than any other Blues player? That guy's not scoring goals?

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
When you're paid 13 mill a year 4 points in 5 games from matthews is not good enough, do not give him a free pass.

Woll was hurt. It wasn't a decision when they had no choice.

This is one of the dumbest f***ing things you have ever said and that's saying a lot.

How do you expect Marner to rebuild is value when his value has tanked because of his playoff performance and we can't make the playoffs? It's also not like we have a trigger man for him to get free points off of like Matthews. You're absolutely delusional. Also btw, Marner plays video games too.
Matthews was also injured for half the series…

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
In the 2021 draft, the Blues took Bolduc at #17.

Dallas took Wyatt Johnston at #23. Kid is a beast. Blues would look much more dangerous had they had the wherewithal to take Johnston. He missed all of his draft year with injury, but he clearly was a top talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vladys Gumption
Dec 15, 2002
Matthews also was playing injured and clearly wasn’t himself. I’m cutting him a bit of slack at least. But Marner and Tavares? They were awful.
This is the danger with the Leafs this offseason. There is always an excuse for the most recent postseason failure, and it becomes a reason to run it all back again because "one of these days, everything is going to go perfectly for us." It's the playoffs, you can't count on perfection, guys have to step up. Guys getting paid $$$$$ really have to step up.

As much as I emphasize stuff in posts, I can't emphasize this enough: they CANNOT run it back again.

No thank you for a soft regular season-only player who can't take a hit, loses just as many board battles as Kyrou, and is a playoff no-show (6 goals in 43 games played in the PO).
You don't have to worry about him being a playoff no-show here if we don't make the playoffs.

In the 2021 draft, the Blues too Bolduc at #17.

Dallas took Wyatt Johnston at #23. Kid is a beast. Blues would look much more dangerous had they had the wherewithal to take Johnston. He missed all of his draft year with injury, but he clearly was a top talent.
This is the usual draft hindsight. By the same token, we apparently got a huge steal with Neighbours at 29 and some other teams are saying jesus, imagine how dangerous we'd be if we'd had the guts to reach and take him.

You win some, you lose some. Let's see what Bolduc does the next few years before deciding we didn't make the right pick. And even if it doesn't turn out right, ... Neighbours, et. al. in past years.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
In the 2021 draft, the Blues too Bolduc at #17.

He missed his draft year bc ohl didn’t play due to covid. injury may have kept him from playing elsewhere at some point, but the season being wiped out was i think the bigger deal. Stars took huge risk in picking him and it has paid off big time.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Do I want Dallas and Vancouver in the WCF?? I think I do.....
Why would you cheer for Leafs West?

Hopefully they lose in a miserable way too.

EDM/DAL was always a great rivalry in the 90s. I would love to see that again.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Why would you cheer for Leafs West?

Hopefully they lose in a miserable way too.

EDM/DAL was always a great rivalry in the 90s. I would love to see that again.

Simple. I hate them less than Edm. I'm hoping Dallas goes to the SC in the West. Edm, Col, and Van are very very very far back.

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021
1714965271341.png

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Every time I see "Bolduc drafted at 17th" I'm reminded he was actually the 16th player off the board due to Arizona having to forfeit 11th overall in the '21 draft. I'm also reminded about how much I hated that class compared to the '20, '22 and '23 classes. Then it all comes full circle as it dawns on me that we'll probably be taking the 16th player off the board in a draft that reminds me of the '21 draft.

It honestly wouldn't take much to trigger my PTSD at this point. It would probably just take someone lightly suggesting the BPA might be winger and I'll be like....

I'll cut you.....gif

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Every time I see "Bolduc drafted at 17th" I'm reminded he was actually the 16th player off the board due to Arizona having to forfeit 11th overall in the '21 draft. I'm also reminded about how much I hated that class compared to the '20, '22 and '23 classes. Then it all comes full circle as it dawns on me that we'll probably be taking the 16th player off the board in a draft that reminds me of the '21 draft.

It honestly wouldn't take much to trigger my PTSD at this point. It would probably just take someone lightly suggesting the BPA might be winger and I'll be like....

View attachment 865695
Not to get OT…but all this did was remind Arizona had a pick stripped (and Ottawa will too) for doing wayyyyy less than what Chicago did. Hawks should’ve had years worth of picks stripped ON TOP of large fines.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
This is the danger with the Leafs this offseason. There is always an excuse for the most recent postseason failure, and it becomes a reason to run it all back again because "one of these days, everything is going to go perfectly for us." It's the playoffs, you can't count on perfection, guys have to step up. Guys getting paid $$$$$ really have to step up.

As much as I emphasize stuff in posts, I can't emphasize this enough: they CANNOT run it back again.
Nor do I think they should run it back without change. They should have made changes ever year for the last three. It still boggles my mind that an organization can think their defense and goaltending is good enough to compete for a cup.

I was just making a general comment about Matthews clearly not being 100%. No matter how flawed your roster is having your best player missing 2 games and playing injured in two others is never a recipe for success.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
My admiration for Pavelski outweighs my disdain for Benn and the Dallas fan base. The only teams remaining I'm actively rooting against are Boston, Colorado and the Rangers.
I agree with the first part. But can't root for Vancouver, Colorado. In the East, I don't have strong feelings other than I tend to root for smaller market teams. Florida or Carolina would be great. I can't help but pull for Maroon to grow his legend and become Four Time Cup Champion Pat Maroon, though.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Ad

Upcoming events

• Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,700.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Austria vs Norway
    Austria vs Norway
    Wagers: 2