[Trade] DENIS GURIANOV IS GONE for Evgenii Dadonov

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
This could very well be a DeBoer request. While I’m not excited about Dadonov, he likely steps in knowing the expectations and systems. The price tag also means the Stars aren’t done, and maybe this forward depth allows for a blueline acquisition.

Its too bad about Gurianov. He’s got a great skill set, but I never thought he thought the game well. They almost certainly wouldn’t qualify him. It will be interesting to see if the Habs do.

Reactions: Sports2

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
If Dadanov can perform as well as he did under DeBoer last year, then this could solve the 3rd line RW problem. I'm not sure that he's quite the answer anymore though.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Great trade. Gurianov has negative value and they got back a better, cheaper player without term. And most importantly a different player that has some chance to fill any kind of meaningful role, which Gurianov cannot. Furthermore you don't have to gum up the works of a bigger deal, if there is one. Also there is no tail risk of the player flourishing elsewhere like Val.

Thanks Denis for the memories and especially the winning shot against Vegas. Shame about losing your confidence which masked a total lack of understanding of how to play the game.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Hopefully Dadonov isn't our only move...but I'm not getting my hopes up

They've worked too hard to accumulate cap space not to use it. It would be some level of stupidity to play down a man to maximize cap space just to let it go to waste. I hope they don't do something that ridiculous.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
For Dadonov, sure, he's having a bad season so far, but at least his previous last good season was last season. And he also had a run of good seasons before that.

For Gurianov, his last good season was three seasons ago, and even in that one good season, he was pretty crappy for the first half of it. He just caught fire for the final couple of months and then again for a few weeks in the bubble. Remember, he scored only one goal in the conference and cup finals, but he tore the Calgary Flames a new one. After that, his one timer died and hasn't been seen since.

This is an upgrade. It's also change for the sake of change.

Good.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Why did we have to trade Gurianov to such an annoying fanbase tho Habs fans are acting like they just got a young stud in exchange for their cap dump.

Unfortunately if you look up Gurianov's highlights it comes off that way and everyone just remembers the playoff run and his 20 goal season. I wanna see him have success somewhere, but please not in Montreal lol

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
Gurianov did not fit into any role on this team (and likely any NHL team) due to his low hockey IQ. Saying that, I wish Gurianov nothing but the best, he seems like a good dude.

As for Dadonov, not exactly the piece I was hoping for but he is cheaper than Gurianov and likely will contribute more. He scored 20 for Deboer last season, so there is clear familiarity and relative success there. Dadonov could be a total bust, but at least the Stars only traded a bust to get him.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
They've worked too hard to accumulate cap space not to use it. It would be some level of stupidity to play down a man to maximize cap space just to let it go to waste. I hope they don't do something that ridiculous.

Thinking it'll probably be something like a depth dman then...idk I'd ideally like to see us add a scorer who is currently having a solid season as well.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
If Dadonov can help spark scoring on the Seguin line, the Stars can take that cap space and get in the bidding for a puck-moving defenceman that can jumpstart the attack. Obviously, a guy like Chychrun is at the top of the list, but maybe guys like Krug or Shattenkirk could be ideas too.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Why did we have to trade Gurianov to such an annoying fanbase tho Habs fans are acting like they just got a young stud in exchange for their cap dump.

Unfortunately if you look up Gurianov's highlights it comes off that way and everyone just remembers the playoff run and his 20 goal season. I wanna see him have success somewhere, but please not in Montreal lol
Yeah, a Habs fan who goes to watch Gurianov highlights is going to get the impression you just got a left shooting Ovechkin. But if those fans dig even a little deeper, they'll notice all of the highlights come from the same 10 month window three years ago.

Gurianov has disappointed three different coaches. He's been tried on every line. He's been tried all over the PP from either side and out at the point. Nothing tried has been able to shake anything out of him. It looks like whatever it was he had going for him during the covid season was a short-lived burst of awesome never to return.

Reactions: LT

masinaLFC

Apr 2, 2014
Banska Bystrica, SVK
I like this trade, there is at least a hope that Dadonov will play better for a better team and we all know, that Denis will never be an impactful player. I hope he will do better in Montreal as he seems like a nice guy, but I doubt it

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
i hope gurianov does well in mtl, he just wasn't getting there for us and we held on way too long. i was still holding out hope they swapped for a pululjuljlarvi- i think some players can benefit from camaraderie from fellow countrymen/language

unfortunately both teams traded their sole russian

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Dadonov does has some scoring touch. 20 goals last season and hit 25+ a few times in Florida

Guess it can't hurt to see if he can get some play going, looks like his opportunity will start with Seguins line.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla

It won’t go to waste but it’s going towards a depth defensemen so it won’t be anything impactful.

I think the plan was Bertuzzi and when Yzerman took him off the table Dallas pivoted to more conservative strategy. Which is why we haven’t been linked to anyone new the last week and a half

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Good luck Denis. He's gone to a place with an opportunity to have twenty something games in a low expectations market (at least this year) to maybe put something together to maybe stay in the NHL. If I'm Denis, I try my absolute darndest to make sure I get a QO because he one hundred percent will not win an arbitration case.

Dadonov is a UFA who might be able to come back to form on a team with healthy top six forwards after playing for three absolute dumpster fires in the last four years.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Good luck Denis. He's gone to a place with an opportunity to have twenty something games in a low expectations market (at least this year) to maybe put something together to maybe stay in the NHL. If I'm Denis, I try my absolute darndest to make sure I get a QO because he one hundred percent will not win an arbitration case.

Dadonov is a UFA who might be able to come back to form on a team with healthy top six forwards after playing for three absolute dumpster fires in the last four years.
He can’t file for arbitration while under contract and they can’t retain his rights when it expires unless they extend a QO beforehand, so his remaining season is basically a tryout for that QO, otherwise he’s a UFA and likely Russia bound.

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
garbage in = garbage out
Montreal fan coming in peace to say exactly that. Do not expect anything from Dadonov, certainly not the player who he was even a year ago, because he seems listless and broken down.

For your sake as fans, I hope that you'll never actually see him on the ice.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Me to Nill after assuming there was no trade to be made and he should be sent down and have his value tanked

cover1.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad