Speculation: Trade Deadline Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Think about that statement, RC loses the room and you bring in Chimera to help RC control Kesler, Getz, Perry, Bieksa and Beauch. If RC has lost the room, then get rid of him this afternoon.

I agree 100%. But I would also present the opinion that you and I think differently than BM does about his coach.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Chimera plays one position, does not PK.

Winnipeg got better. Nashville got better. San Jose got better. LA got better. Vegas got better.

BM mailed this in and made this team the oldest in the NHL. House cleaning coming this summer, it can not stay the same or next year will be worse under this coach.

I don't agree with the "mailed it in" comments being made. He didn't add to the team. However, the team really only has one big hole. Despite that, the roster is still a pretty stacked team. I don't think shuffling his 4th line is mailing it in. Mailing it in would have been subtracting players from the team that hurt it. I'd argue that switching Wags for Chimera does hurt it, but it's debatable. Need to see what Chimera does on the ice.

Some here (not saying you do) believe there are only two options: go all in or sell everything. That just isn't accurate. I'm fine that we didn't do anything drastic. The only frustrating thing I have (besides the Wagner trade) is we didn't add a cheap rental. Cole would have been ideal and for a marginal price. Not a Vanek fan, but even adding him for that low of a price would have helped. If Murray didn't make the Henrique deal than I'd be beyond pissed. I was (still am) upset that we traded away our most physical forward, but I definitely don't classify that as "mailing it in". We still have one of the deepest Ducks teams in a while. If Carlyle played the D and forward lines right, this is a much better team than we're getting.

Rakell-Getzlaf-Perry
Ritchie-Henrique-Kase
Cogliano-Kesler-Silfverberg
Brown-Vermette-Grant

Fowler-Manson
Lindholm-Montour
Beauchemin-Welinski

Gibson

That roster is better than people are giving it credit for. The only roster in the West who's clearly better is Nashville's IMO. Others are debatable. I've been a big fan of Winnipeg's team for a few years. I've been saying that team was closer than people realize. just needed a solid goalie.

Reactions: Paul4587

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
In that he's one of the only two forwards on the roster who actually hit people, yes. Chimera does not, and we are already a soft team compared to what we are used to.

The bigger issue is BM making things up to try to sell this instead of commenting on what the players actually do bring to the table. Which is probably why he made stuff up.

I'm in the camp that giving the farm to shore up this disaster of a roster was a bad idea as well. But I dislike people who piss in your face and say it's raining.
Wagner hit when he could bring himself to be motivated, which wasn't all the time. He has been called out for it by the coaching staff before. Not only that, but man he is a dumb player, and his decision making seemed to be getting worse as the season went on.

It probably shouldn't be a factor, but that comment he made in the Arizona game was a really, really stupid thing to say as the deadline approached.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Think about that statement, RC loses the room and you bring in Chimera to help RC control Kesler, Getz, Perry, Bieksa and Beauch. If RC has lost the room, then get rid of him this afternoon.

To add to that:

Chimera isn't going to help RC control those players. Certainly not those first three on the list. The final two? I don't care. I don't think Bieksa or Beauchemin need to be controlled. They just need to not be playing much. But if Kesler, Getzlaf, and Perry need "controlling" a player like Chimera isn't going to change that. This isn't Scott Niedermayer we're talking about. It's not Steve Yzerman. Or Scott Stevens.

If those guys are tuning out Carlyle, they will have no problem tuning out a depth player.

I'm sure Chimera can come in and add something, but I'm not sure it will be anything more than a lateral change from Wagner. If that's the case, I would have rather just moved Wagner for future assets. Saying you want to add speed, but doing it in the form of a 4th line player sends a mixed message to me. That's not really making the team faster. Not in a way that actually benefits it. To say you want to add speed in the form of someone like Chimera, and also signing Kelly is an even worse message. Now you're simply contradicting yourself, because you're adding speed in one player but then adding another depth player who is much, much slower. So what have you really accomplished?

I guess the summary is that I think Murray is full of crap.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
To be fair, I think that's more about the coaching style. They roll 4 lines more consistently. Only one player averages less than 10 mins a game, and that's a rookie who's at 9 minutes a game.

I get what you're saying though. People are making immediate judgements before seeing the impact or their play on the ice.

Right, was just pointing out that it's not all that relevant to that discussion.

And honestly, it would be one thing if it was just judging before he plays a game here, that's more or less fair, but it seems like people can't see past his age (and perhaps looks lol) or that people just want to hate on the deal/Murray and that's the end of it. The number of people who seem to know pretty much nothing about Chimera is astounding, even if he has been a career bottom six guy.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I don't agree with the "mailed it in" comments being made. He didn't add to the team. However, the team really only has one big hole. Despite that, the roster is still a pretty stacked team. I don't think shuffling his 4th line is mailing it in. Mailing it in would have been subtracting players from the team that hurt it. I'd argue that switching Wags for Chimera does hurt it, but it's debatable. Need to see what Chimera does on the ice.

Some here (not saying you do) believe there are only two options: go all in or sell everything. That just isn't accurate. I'm fine that we didn't do anything drastic. The only frustrating thing I have (besides the Wagner trade) is we didn't add a cheap rental. Cole would have been ideal and for a marginal price. Not a Vanek fan, but even adding him for that low of a price would have helped. If Murray didn't make the Henrique deal than I'd be beyond pissed. I was (still am) upset that we traded away our most physical forward, but I definitely don't classify that as "mailing it in". We still have one of the deepest Ducks teams in a while. If Carlyle played the D and forward lines right, this is a much better team than we're getting.

Rakell-Getzlaf-Perry
Ritchie-Henrique-Kase
Cogliano-Kesler-Silfverberg
Brown-Vermette-Grant

Fowler-Manson
Lindholm-Montour
Beauchemin-Welinski

Gibson

That roster is better than people are giving it credit for. The only roster in the West who's clearly better is Nashville's IMO. Others are debatable. I've been a big fan of Winnipeg's team for a few years. I've been saying that team was closer than people realize. just needed a solid goalie.

Point taken. The roster could be competitive with the best of the West. But your lineup is not being iced. The two disconnects are Grant and Bieksa.

It is hard for me to believe that BM and RC are not on the same page here. If BM wanted Grant to see more time, don't think he would be bringing in Kelly and Chimera. Or JT Brown earlier.

As for Bieksa, it's apparent that Ducks management sees something of value in him that makes them willing to put up with him hurting the team on the ice. I don't understand it. But BM could solve the problem and he hasn't. Which causes me to think he's OK with RC playing him so much.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Point taken. The roster could be competitive with the best of the West. But your lineup is not being iced. The two disconnects are Grant and Bieksa.

It is hard for me to believe that BM and RC are not on the same page here. If BM wanted Grant to see more time, don't think he would be bringing in Kelly and Chimera. Or JT Brown earlier.

As for Bieksa, it's apparent that Ducks management sees something of value in him that makes them willing to put up with him hurting the team on the ice. I don't understand it. But BM could solve the problem and he hasn't. Which causes me to think he's OK with RC playing him so much.

fair enough. You never know with Bob and his coaches. Compared to most, I'd say his level of involvement with the players and coach seems minimal. I think of his comments like "I just get the players and let the coach figure out what do with them". That was when Bruce was here so maybe he's more involved now. I dunno. I tend to agree with you. My point is that I don't think he mailed it in at all. I just think he f***ed up by not paying a small price to make a significant upgrade.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Wagner hit when he could bring himself to be motivated, which wasn't all the time. He has been called out for it by the coaching staff before. Not only that, but man he is a dumb player, and his decision making seemed to be getting worse as the season went on.

It probably shouldn't be a factor, but that comment he made in the Arizona game was a really, really stupid thing to say as the deadline approached.
I think he hit pretty consistently, but hits that mattered were pretty rare. The penalties were the worst thing, plus for a big guy who skated pretty well he didn't spend a hell of a lot of time at the net. He was a different player in the minors.

Reactions: AngelDuck

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
After stewing about this for the past 24 hours I feel a lot better about our deadline. Our roster already looks pretty good on paper, certainly better than the team has shown this year. Our major problem has been consistency, we've had as much trouble with closing out games as we've had with digging ourselves a hole in the first. Rarely has the team put together more than 40 minutes of solid hockey.

Maybe heart and soul guys like Chimera and Kelly are the guys we need. Maybe guys that will be vocal (in a positive way) in the locker room and guys that are willing to just put their heads down and work EVERY shift no matter what the score is, is just what we need. It seems our current leadership is bound to either pout or give up when things get difficult, maybe Kelly and Chimera are strong locker room guys? Who knows.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Bieska is like how Jeff Mathis was on the Angels for many years, he's hurting the team out there but Scioscia kept playing him, sadly both Anaheim coaches are stuck in the 1980s, Carlyle & Scioscia are probably pals & only now has the injury bug from the Angels spread to the Ducks....

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

Can't argue that. The problem is that outside of Ritchie, none of the other forwards can even be bothered to try hitting at all. If the forwards aren't going to be playing the trap well, and they aren't, and they can't be bothered to be picking up the right people in the defensive zone, and they aren't, and they aren't going to be moving to make themselves available for outlet passes with speed, and they aren't, then the dump-and-chase requires a forecheck, which...they aren't.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Almost everyone that was traded for scored a point tonight....that means chimera has to right ?

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Bieska is like how Jeff Mathis was on the Angels for many years, he's hurting the team out there but Scioscia kept playing him, sadly both Anaheim coaches are stuck in the 1980s, Carlyle & Scioscia are probably pals & only now has the injury bug from the Angels spread to the Ducks....

Good comparison. Beg to differ on one point however. Mathis contributed something to help the Angels-he was a good defensive catcher. Bieksa contributes nothing to help the Ducks-at least nothing we can see.

BTW, I always chuckled a bit when Napoli killed the Angels just about every time he played them.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
After stewing about this for the past 24 hours I feel a lot better about our deadline. Our roster already looks pretty good on paper, certainly better than the team has shown this year. Our major problem has been consistency, we've had as much trouble with closing out games as we've had with digging ourselves a hole in the first. Rarely has the team put together more than 40 minutes of solid hockey.

Maybe heart and soul guys like Chimera and Kelly are the guys we need. Maybe guys that will be vocal (in a positive way) in the locker room and guys that are willing to just put their heads down and work EVERY shift no matter what the score is, is just what we need. It seems our current leadership is bound to either pout or give up when things get difficult, maybe Kelly and Chimera are strong locker room guys? Who knows.
It`s because on paper Kelser have much more value than he have now on the ice where he is ... maybe a half of what we knew?

But overall I`m also ok with the deadline, don`t want to spend much this year. Like I said before - I think only Karlsson would put us in somewhat a contender territory. There were no reason for us to spend on other guys.

I hope we can make a good retool in the summer that would include a Steel Terry and some smart trades (for the D) and hopefully Eaves recovering very well.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
It`s because on paper Kelser have much more value than he have now on the ice where he is ... maybe a half of what we knew?

But overall I`m also ok with the deadline, don`t want to spend much this year. Like I said before - I think only Karlsson would put us in somewhat a contender territory. There were no reason for us to spend on other guys.

I hope we can make a good retool in the summer that would include a Steel Terry and some smart trades (for the D) and hopefully Eaves recovering very well.

I agree that with the current version of Kesler, this team is pretty flawed. I don't think he'll be healthy this year, so its hard to imagine the ducks putting together a long post season run. The big question is whether he can return to form next year.

As I posted earlier, there was not a single player who moved that would have made the ducks a top tier team. Given that, BM was smart to not pay a premium for rentals.

As others have posted, I'm in favor of turning much of the roster to infuse youth and speed in the offseason. Would like to see Roy in the top 9 next year and hope that Terry and 1-2 young d-men are in the mix. The days of winning while rolling 3-4 big, strong and relatively slow lines are gone.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I agree that with the current version of Kesler, this team is pretty flawed. I don't think he'll be healthy this year, so its hard to imagine the ducks putting together a long post season run. The big question is whether he can return to form next year.

As I posted earlier, there was not a single player who moved that would have made the ducks a top tier team. Given that, BM was smart to not pay a premium for rentals.

As others have posted, I'm in favor of turning much of the roster to infuse youth and speed in the offseason. Would like to see Roy in the top 9 next year and hope that Terry and 1-2 young d-men are in the mix. The days of winning while rolling 3-4 big, strong and relatively slow lines are gone.
Kes has to be better next year - it was previously reported he didn`t even attended practices, just games - not sure what is the situation now. It will actually be bettr for his play if he plays less this year - it is clear we can`t go all the way without him being in a better form.

I think his play will decrease but he should still be a much better than he is now - I hope.

Not sure about Roy, he needs to make improvements, he`s not that young anymore.

Ideally I would look to see what both Steel and Terry (please) has to offer.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I'm sure Kesler will be better next year compared to this year. I just don't know if it will be THAT much better.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Kes has to be better next year - it was previously reported he didn`t even attended practices, just games - not sure what is the situation now. It will actually be bettr for his play if he plays less this year - it is clear we can`t go all the way without him being in a better form.

I think his play will decrease but he should still be a much better than he is now - I hope.

Not sure about Roy, he needs to make improvements, he`s not that young anymore.

Ideally I would look to see what both Steel and Terry (please) has to offer.

It sounds like Kesler needs a lot of maintenance on his hip this season. I think there was a report earlier that this was the case with a previous surgery too, and it wasn't until the following season that he felt 100%.

Reactions: Kalv

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
The mot recent 31 Thoughts said we were interested in Nash and Jack Johnson. Guessing that was before our losses to the Coyotes and Oilers. When that happened, Murray must have given up adding big pieces.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The mot recent 31 Thoughts said we were interested in Nash and Jack Johnson. Guessing that was before our losses to the Coyotes and Oilers. When that happened, Murray must have given up adding big pieces.

Nah it fits with what he said. Guessing he tried to get both with our second rounder(and maybe a prospect) and Boston beat that by a mile, while also offering it for JJ but I guess Columbus wasn't having any of that, maybe in first or bust territory.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

getting either of those two would have most likely required an overpayment and neither nash or johnson are even close to being worth sacrificing the future for

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I'm quite fine that we stayed pat. Nash could have helped but I don't think he was ever going to be available for a 2nd. Most of the rest of the guys on the market were not going to change what's wrong with this team. And actually Nash wouldn't have either. We don't lack talent as much as we lack direction and leadership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad