Speculation: Trade Deadline Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
After stewing about this for the past 24 hours I feel a lot better about our deadline. Our roster already looks pretty good on paper, certainly better than the team has shown this year. Our major problem has been consistency, we've had as much trouble with closing out games as we've had with digging ourselves a hole in the first. Rarely has the team put together more than 40 minutes of solid hockey.

Maybe heart and soul guys like Chimera and Kelly are the guys we need. Maybe guys that will be vocal (in a positive way) in the locker room and guys that are willing to just put their heads down and work EVERY shift no matter what the score is, is just what we need. It seems our current leadership is bound to either pout or give up when things get difficult, maybe Kelly and Chimera are strong locker room guys? Who knows.

The Ducks have shown they can go toe-to-toe with top teams. But then lose back-to-back to teams not in the playoffs. That talent is there. The consistent drive? Not so much. Can these two veteran pieces help make a point before, during, and after the game to be consistent and bring your A game? We should still be on a 6-game winning streak. So it's not talent, but rather mentality.

Does this mean they tune out RC? I dunno. They're up for the top games.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I don't agree with the "mailed it in" comments being made. He didn't add to the team. However, the team really only has one big hole. Despite that, the roster is still a pretty stacked team. I don't think shuffling his 4th line is mailing it in. Mailing it in would have been subtracting players from the team that hurt it. I'd argue that switching Wags for Chimera does hurt it, but it's debatable. Need to see what Chimera does on the ice.

Some here (not saying you do) believe there are only two options: go all in or sell everything. That just isn't accurate. I'm fine that we didn't do anything drastic. The only frustrating thing I have (besides the Wagner trade) is we didn't add a cheap rental. Cole would have been ideal and for a marginal price. Not a Vanek fan, but even adding him for that low of a price would have helped. If Murray didn't make the Henrique deal than I'd be beyond pissed. I was (still am) upset that we traded away our most physical forward, but I definitely don't classify that as "mailing it in". We still have one of the deepest Ducks teams in a while. If Carlyle played the D and forward lines right, this is a much better team than we're getting.

Rakell-Getzlaf-Perry
Ritchie-Henrique-Kase
Cogliano-Kesler-Silfverberg
Brown-Vermette-Grant

Fowler-Manson
Lindholm-Montour
Beauchemin-Welinski

Gibson

That roster is better than people are giving it credit for. The only roster in the West who's clearly better is Nashville's IMO. Others are debatable. I've been a big fan of Winnipeg's team for a few years. I've been saying that team was closer than people realize. just needed a solid goalie.
I agree with all of this. Would have loved to get another defensemen but I can see us beating any team in the West in the playoffs and I honestly believe we have a better roster than anyone except the Preds in the west. I expect Kesler to keep slowly making progress which will drive that line. Hopefully we can get in and Kesler is in good shape because that line does really well in the playoffs.

Not giving away assets will speed up our rebuild (which I think is inevitable AFTER NEXT YEAR), and we all know that the Ducks don't want to be a bottom dweller because this is a tough market for bottom dweller pro teams. Especially hockey. My only big concern is how are we going to get a 1c for the future after our window closes without going into rebuild mode. I love our young d and goal tending. I can see our team coming out of a quick 1 or 2 year rebuild and looking like the preds with elite d and goal tending if we can just find a 1c to lead us down the middle. Maybe that will be Steel...

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
I agree with all of this. Would have loved to get another defensemen but I can see us beating any team in the West in the playoffs and I honestly believe we have a better roster than anyone except the Preds in the west. I expect Kesler to keep slowly making progress which will drive that line. Hopefully we can get in and Kesler is in good shape because that line does really well in the playoffs.

Not giving away assets will speed up our rebuild (which I think is inevitable AFTER NEXT YEAR), and we all know that the Ducks don't want to be a bottom dweller because this is a tough market for bottom dweller pro teams. Especially hockey. My only big concern is how are we going to get a 1c for the future after our window closes without going into rebuild mode. I love our young d and goal tending. I can see our team coming out of a quick 1 or 2 year rebuild and looking like the preds with elite d and goal tending if we can just find a 1c to lead us down the middle. Maybe that will be Steel...

Yeah I think everyone is hoping Steel or Terry can be Top 6C (hopefully both).

I do think Winnipeg has a better roster than us - especially once Trouba returns. All the Ducks have to do though is get in and go from there. I really hope Nashville isn't who we play in the first round and we don't have much success against them in the playoffs.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
It sounds like Kesler needs a lot of maintenance on his hip this season. I think there was a report earlier that this was the case with a previous surgery too, and it wasn't until the following season that he felt 100%.

It looks like he never did really regain the all speed and mobility he had prior to the first surgery. I'm somewhat worried how much he will be able to recover after a second at this age

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I’ve kinda reached a point of indifference about this season at this point. If we make it to the playoffs, it’s bonus, but I’m now not too fussed if these moves turn out to not help much.
Kinda where i am.. if we make it great if not oh well my expectations are low... i do think we can win a round if we make it in tho... we have left so many points on the table vs bad teams

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I want Henry to make money so he doesn't do anything drastic financially. But I'd almost prefer they miss the playoffs for two reasons. One, even a small shot at the lottery. Two, I wan't Bob, RC, and the whole team to feel pressure and know the shit could now be hitting the fan on any and all of them. I'd much prefer that scenario than going out in the first round and telling everybody that injuries were why they didn't do better.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Yeah I think everyone is hoping Steel or Terry can be Top 6C (hopefully both).

I do think Winnipeg has a better roster than us - especially once Trouba returns. All the Ducks have to do though is get in and go from there. I really hope Nashville isn't who we play in the first round and we don't have much success against them in the playoffs.
Winnipeg has a great squad but I like the ducks because Gibson has looked great and in my opinion goal tending becomes enormous in the playoffs. Hellebuych has been solid but not great. I also am projecting Keslers line to keep getting better.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
One thing to remember, anything can happen in the playoffs. Every year people count teams out that end up going on long runs. Series are often decided by a single goal or a single missed shot. Look at that horrible roster Ottawa had last year and how close they were to the finals.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
It sounds like Kesler needs a lot of maintenance on his hip this season. I think there was a report earlier that this was the case with a previous surgery too, and it wasn't until the following season that he felt 100%.
It sure makes sense if it is like that. And therefore it makes sense for us to not go all in this year for rentals.

Like I told, I do believe that we would have a chance for the cup with Karlsson, but yeah... that`s costly and barely worth debating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad