Speculation: Trade Deadline Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
If getting Chimera and Kelly wasn't for leadership, then those moves are even more puzzling

It's very concerning if we have a GM who thinks those are two players that are going to make on ice contributions

The infatuation with veterans has gotten worse and worse. This team can't skate with Winnipeg and Nashville because of it. Murray is even more to blame for this than RC at this point

I am very ready for Steel, Terry, and a couple other young guys to make the jump soon

HOW THE HELL CAN A TEAM THIS OLD NEED MORE LEADERSHIP? That is an absolute joke if anyone believes this team needs more leadership.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
If getting Chimera and Kelly wasn't for leadership, then those moves are even more puzzling

It's very concerning if we have a GM who thinks those are two players that are going to make on ice contributions

The infatuation with veterans has gotten worse and worse. This team can't skate with Winnipeg and Nashville because of it. Murray is even more to blame for this than RC at this point

I am very ready for Steel, Terry, and a couple other young guys to make the jump soon

No it's not, it's very straightforward. Murray has said all year he wanted to get faster players and he went and added a guy who's still up there in terms of speed(haven't seen any of Kelly and who knows what his role is so I'm not gonna focus on him). The emphasis on veterans has been made by seemingly everyone here because it fits their own narrative, but Murray's emphasis has clearly been on what they bring on the ice.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
If the defense was addressed in any way, you don't have near as many negative comments here.

If Murray had flipped Vermette for a 3rd or something, then turned and picked up Cole, that would have been a perfect, low key deadline IMO. I thought Bieksa being scratched more often (as well as Vermette), and Pettersson being up was a sign that Murray was finally identifying the glaring weak spots on the roster and stepping back from this veteran loyalty blindness. I won't get too carried away condemning him for essentially standing pat, but he's done nothing to instill any faith that he is looking at this roster objectively.

Reactions: Duck Off
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I don’t even mind the desire to add veterans. In theory, you know what you’re going to get, they can set good examples, and they should be solid additions.

The problem is on that last point. He’s not just signing veterans. He’s signing over the hill veterans; players who aren’t just past their due date, but are starting to sour and smell bad. My feeling is that every trade should be with the goal to make your team better, on and off the ice. Sometimes that takes the form of moving an older player for assets, but it’s still a gain when the bill comes due. You’re adding assets for a player who is no longer part of the plan.

I don’t like the idea of adding a player who just isn’t that good anymore simply for their locker room presence. Bieksa is the worst example of it, but even some of the better ones end up doing very little.

Who says we're not better on the ice?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Who says we're not better on the ice?

No one. Yet.

But Kelly hasn't played a single game this season, and he wasn't exactly playing great last season.

It remains to be seen on Chimera. He at least brings some speed, but I'm not sure he brings much else.

These players don't give me the warm fuzzies, and I have a hard time looking at them and seeing them as contributors. Anaheim may very well turn things around, in part, because of them. Or maybe the team will actually play with some urgency and desperation, which is something they should have been playing with since getting healthy.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
No it's not, it's very straightforward. Murray has said all year he wanted to get faster players and he went and added a guy who's still up there in terms of speed(haven't seen any of Kelly and who knows what his role is so I'm not gonna focus on him). The emphasis on veterans has been made by seemingly everyone here because it fits their own narrative, but Murray's emphasis has clearly been on what they bring on the ice.
Chimera has lost his acceleration. He's done.

I don't mind the Chimera for Wagner trade but the current version of Jason Chimera is a lateral move at best

Reactions: Paul4587
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
No one. Yet.

But Kelly hasn't played a single game this season, and he wasn't exactly playing great last season.

It remains to be seen on Chimera. He at least brings some speed, but I'm not sure he brings much else.

You did seem to imply it, but other than that I'd say quite a few have assumed it, amongst other things, and close to no one has considered that Chimera is actually a better player and more in line with what they'd want. Based on the comments you would think we traded the faster guy with offensive upside for the grittier guy, not the exact opposite.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Are you? How many people have made their minds up because Chimera is 38 and they can't remotely see past that? Switch the ages around or even make them the same and people would be estatic(well, maybe not that far lol) about this deal.

He's averaging 11 minutes a game this season, man.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
You did seem to imply it, but other than that I'd say quite a few have assumed it, amongst other things, and close to no one has considered that Chimera is actually a better player and more in line with what they'd want. Based on the comments you would think we traded the faster guy with offensive upside for the grittier guy, not the exact opposite.

I think the issue is that we traded for him at all, instead of just moving Wagner for picks, if the goal was to get something for him.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Which is over a minute more than Wagner's been getting since Kesler returned.

To be fair, I think that's more about the coaching style. They roll 4 lines more consistently. Only one player averages less than 10 mins a game, and that's a rookie who's at 9 minutes a game.

I get what you're saying though. People are making immediate judgements before seeing the impact or their play on the ice.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Murray's been clear that speed is only part of what he's interested in. He's changing the mix. He's complained about desperation and passengers. He says the new players will bring different emotion and help the team get its act together. It's not just a speedier team he's looking for. Grabner would have made us speedier. Speed is the "we didn't want to pay Palms for being a 30-goal scorer" excuse of the year.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Murray's been clear that speed is only part of what he's interested in. He's changing the mix. He's complained about desperation and passengers. He says the new players will bring different emotion and help the team get its act together. It's not just a speedier team he's looking for. Grabner would have made us speedier. Speed is the "we didn't want to pay Palms for being a 30-goal scorer" excuse of the year.

Arguably the dumbest thing I've ever heard a GM say.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
chris wagner must have been really, really good and I just missed it.
In that he's one of the only two forwards on the roster who actually hit people, yes. Chimera does not, and we are already a soft team compared to what we are used to.

The bigger issue is BM making things up to try to sell this instead of commenting on what the players actually do bring to the table. Which is probably why he made stuff up.

I'm in the camp that giving the farm to shore up this disaster of a roster was a bad idea as well. But I dislike people who piss in your face and say it's raining.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
last time carlyle lost the locker room he was fired

so i hope the same thing is happening now so he's shown the door after this season

Maybe I'm assuming too much, but IMO the deadline acquisitions were not made to add speed. They were made to bring in veteran character good in the room been around the block guys. Which says (maybe) that BM perceives the problem not being on the ice but in the room.

Reactions: duckpuck

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
Maybe if you think you have lost the locker room?

You are serious right now??? If the leadership group of Getzlaf, Kesler, Perry, Bieksa and Beauch have "lost" the locker room, this team has issues that no one will fix.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
Chimera plays one position, does not PK.

Winnipeg got better. Nashville got better. San Jose got better. LA got better. Vegas got better.

BM mailed this in and made this team the oldest in the NHL. House cleaning coming this summer, it can not stay the same or next year will be worse under this coach.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
I was not pointing the finger at player leadership, more towards RC.

Think about that statement, RC loses the room and you bring in Chimera to help RC control Kesler, Getz, Perry, Bieksa and Beauch. If RC has lost the room, then get rid of him this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad