Speculation: Trade deadline acquisitions (All rumors/proposals/etc) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I really don't get this post, because Chicago Blackhawks isn't going to get Antoine Vermette for Patrick Sharp.

I am fine if Sharp stays in Chicago, but personally I am willing to trade him for decent return.

Not saying its a trade of Sharp for Vermette. there are people who want Vermette here and want Sharp gone. It would likely be seperate deals.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Not saying its a trade of Sharp for Vermette. there are people who want Vermette here and want Sharp gone. It would likely be seperate deals.

I still don't understand your post, because you are including Antoine Vermette in it and you are comparing him and Patrick Sharp. I understand your opinion about Vermette that he is not as good, at least as Patrick Sharp, but he would be an upgrade in offense.

Maybe it is because I am from Finland. I see your point though, but in my opinion the post was just weird. Or you just don't like Vermette which I am perfectly fine with.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

Vermette and Sharp offer different things. I want Vermette because if Richards continues to decline and TT doesn't step up, that leaves our center depth in shambles. Vermette stabilizes that.

If Sharp can start producing and, just as importantly, get back to playing sound defensively responsible hockey too, then I'm fall for him staying through this run if we can afford him.

If he can't or isn't prepared to do those things, then there's no reason to keep him. Right now he's contributing nothing on every side of the puck.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I don't have an issue with getting Vermette and keeping Sharp. It seems like some want to trade Sharp for picks and use that in a trade for Vermette. I don't agree that is a good move. Sharp was lousy in last years playoffs and struggled this year through injury but he is less then a year removed from arguably his best regular season ever and Vermette has never touched that level. Sharp has also contributed greatly to two cups as well as many successful seasons in Chicago. Vermette is 30 years old and not accomplished much of anything. I hold out hope that Sharp can still play at a high level if he gets on one of his hot streaks and if he is with the right linemates. He has been with too many unproductive players a lot of the time since returning from injury.

Would be happy to see Vermette centering a line with Sharp on it.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I don't have an issue with getting Vermette and keeping Sharp. It seems like some want to trade Sharp for picks and use that in a trade for Vermette. I don't agree that is a good move. Sharp was lousy in last years playoffs and struggled this year through injury but he is less then a year removed from arguably his best regular season ever and Vermette has never touched that level. Sharp has also contributed greatly to two cups as well as many successful seasons in Chicago. Vermette is 30 years old and not accomplished much of anything. I hold out hope that Sharp can still play at a high level if he gets on one of his hot streaks and if he is with the right linemates. He has been with too many unproductive players a lot of the time since returning from injury.

Would be happy to see Vermette centering a line with Sharp on it.

Sharp's previous accomplishments and contributions grant him the benefit of the doubt and a long leash. They don't grant him tenure.

What he's done in the past doesn't matter. He needs to perform this season. That's the harsh reality of the cap world. That's why Lombardi should have bought out a guy that helped him win 2 cups in 3 years. Because what 'you've done for me lately' doesn't work anymore. Now it's 'what are you doing for me NOW'.

I'd like Sharp to stick around, because I believe he's better than he's played and think he can still produce. But he needs to show it. Now more than ever.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
If the past doesn't matter, which I agree with to an extent, then people need to stop complaining about Sharp's play last postseason.

DrunkKaner88

Jan 5, 2014
If the past doesn't matter, which I agree with to an extent, then people need to stop complaining about Sharp's play last postseason.

I think everyone would stop if he was actually somewhat useful right now. If he came back this year and was playing well than i think most would forget about it. He was having an ok year and then completley fell off the map like he did last postseason.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

It doesn't matter.

Not as far as his play today is concerned, unless you think something happened before/during the playoffs that caused him difficulty that is continuing.

Anyway, it's fine to reflect back and say 'yeah, Sharp sucked in the playoffs last year, wonder how the Hawks would have faired if he were better', but that's about as relevant to the Hawks today as saying 'Man, did Handzus ever suck'.

New season. Blank slate. The only thing the past impacts is expectations going forward. Other than that, it's meaningless.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Sharp's previous accomplishments and contributions grant him the benefit of the doubt and a long leash. They don't grant him tenure.

What he's done in the past doesn't matter. He needs to perform this season. That's the harsh reality of the cap world. That's why Lombardi should have bought out a guy that helped him win 2 cups in 3 years. Because what 'you've done for me lately' doesn't work anymore. Now it's 'what are you doing for me NOW'.

I'd like Sharp to stick around, because I believe he's better than he's played and think he can still produce. But he needs to show it. Now more than ever.

It's not a straight business though. They aren't pieces of company stock to be traded at the peak of their value.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Maybe Stan will shock us and pry Evgeny Kuznetsov out of Caps hands

Highly unlikely, but I would love to see us get Wilson if Stan is taking a lesser player like Ward on an expiring. Kid is a wrecking ball. Maybe Burakovsky if we get lucky.

Last edited:

vegasvic

Jan 10, 2010
hopefully there is another trade or two out there for the Hawks. Maybe a multi-team deal that nets Vermette and Ward+ for Sharp and the + part from WSH. Would make for a spectacular deadline, in which case my reverse psychology tweets and posts totally worked

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I like those Gagner rumors. I like him. Always did.

Sharp for Ward? Who'd add something? Wouldn't like it if it's straight or Hawks add

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
I like those Gagner rumors. I like him. Always did.

Sharp for Ward? Who'd add something? Wouldn't like it if it's straight or Hawks add

The Caps would definitely need to add. Aside from Sharp being the better player, Ward will be a UFA.

But this trade has pretty much no chance of happening IMO

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
@alex_prewitt: The Capitals are finalizing a trade sending D Jack Hillen and a draft pick to Carolina for D Tim Gleason, per league sources.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
Darn would love him gone. Sell kinda high. He sucks now. Maybe that is it for sharp and next year is more of the same. I say sell now. You solve a problem this year and next summer. Gotta dump sharp.

Yes he HAS been great, now he is a bad contract.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Only different thing about sharp is a low shooting percentage. It's about 5% lower than last year

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN 10m10 minutes ago
As it currently stands, looks more likely that Rangers F Mats Zuccarello will be traded than re-signed. Teams have been told he's available

I think that would be cheaper/lower risk acquisition then say Vermette (Costly) or Gagner (Terrible with terrible cap hit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad