Speculation: Trade Deadline 2014

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Given the Nintendo GM trades that we have been proposing the last few weeks I am sure I am not the only one who is very underwhelmed with a 2nd and a 3rd.

Given the Nintendo GM trades that we have been proposing, I am sure I'm not the only one who is unsurprised by people being underwhelmed.

Personally, I'm more or less whelmed.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I give Burke a D+ for the trade deadline.

It would have been a C until he talked about the possibility of extending Butler.

We moved a backup goalie and a UFA that wasn't a part of our future for a mid 2nd, got a high pick for Stempniak, got the repuation for not moving UFAs for nothing. So next year teams know that they can keep them. But it is a bit what they didn't do. But I guess there was othing there. Would've liked to pickup a cap dump and prospect for nothing. But overall a B for Burke.

Butler is 27, 3rd in blocked shots, a leader in the dressing room. He should be re-signed. We have nobody to call up that's better and play 82 games. Dmen like Wotherspoon and Sieloff atill have to take a few years. You don't want to bring up D's too early. Butler > Billins.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Given the Nintendo GM trades that we have been proposing the last few weeks I am sure I am not the only one who is very underwhelmed with a 2nd and a 3rd.

I was expecting 2nd/3rd for Stempniak, 4th for Butler, 1st, B– prospect forCammy. And when I heard Berra was out I thought 3rd/4th

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Given the Nintendo GM trades that we have been proposing, I am sure I'm not the only one who is unsurprised by people being underwhelmed.

Good point. What grade would you guys give Burke? Who won the deadline?

Personally, I like what the Kings did. Gaborik is exactly what they need IMO. The the price was surprisingly small.

whelmed?:handclap:

Aug 3, 2010

Personally, I like what the Kings did. Gaborik is exactly what they need IMO. The the price was surprisingly small.

No, that's Vanek. :laugh:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

I'm giving him an extension on his assignment. He didn't rid us of all of our UFAs, but it's reasonable to accept that a good opportunity to do so never presented itself. He says that his steadfastness this year will send a message for next time around, which makes total sense to me, and that may well be worth more than the return which it looks like Cammalleri would have brought.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
WINNERS:
LA-got a low price for Gaborik and a good deal for McNabb. They got what they need, scoring

MTL-Got a real low price for Vanek. Weaver's a nice addition on then back end.

TB-got possibly 2 1sts for St Louis. Who's 38. Callahan should fit in well with the Lightning. They get 10 extra years with Callahan and they trade Marty before it's too late. Also if you didn't trade him you've got a bad situation in the dressing room where everyone know you want out. And Stevie Y had 1 team to trade to.

RANGERS-got elite scoring. Callahan wasn't re-signing so a couple picks and maybe get one back for St Louis

LOSERS:

NYI-more of a 7 year fail the Islanders got little return for MacDonald and Vanek. For Vanek they traded Moulson, top 10 pick, high 2nd, Vanek for Collberg and late 2nd?. FIRE SNOW. They didn't get a goalie either. They picked a tremendous player in JT and have given him 2nd line scorers, goalies past their prime and no defence.

TML-They watched as the other teams with games in hand aquired the likes of Vanek, Legwand, Hemsky, Callahan, Stamkos, Halak. Had to do something. They're stuck in the middle with re-build ful
Contend. Won't win until#1 C, #1D, top 4 D, #1 W.

ANA-watched the Blues get the best player available in Miller and they got rid of assets. Penner was in a good situation got a 4th,they cleared cap for Robidas?

Last edited:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

I'm hovering around whelmed as well, although I'd say more above than below it. It's a shame there wasn't anything garnered for Cammalleri, but for the two guys Burke did trade, the return was very respectable.

Aug 3, 2010
It's weird, but aside from blaming Snow as the main reason why Cammalleri wasn't moved today (low price, late deal so Burke couldn't move until it was too late for plan B) I would say that the Moulson for Vanek deal was a big reason why both players were undervalued today.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
It's weird, but aside from blaming Snow as the main reason why Cammalleri wasn't moved today (low price, late deal so Burke couldn't move until it was too late for plan B) I would say that the Moulson for Vanek deal was a big reason why both players were undervalued today.

I heard the Kesler soap opera also delayed things 12-24 hours too, which didn't help.

Last edited:

Aug 3, 2010
I heard the Kessel soap opera also delayed things 12-24 hours too, which didn't help.

Did you mean Kesler?

8662.image_5F00_4.png

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
WINNERS:
LA-got a low price for Gaborik and a good deal for McNabb. They got what they need, scoring

MTL-Got a real low price for Vanek. Weaver's a nice addition on then back end.

TB-got possibly 2 1sts for St Louis. Who's 38. Callahan should fit in well with the Lightning. They get 10 extra years with Callahan and they trade Marty before it's too late. Also if you didn't trade him you've got a bad situation in the dressing room where everyone know you want out. And Stevie Y had 1 team to trade to.

RANGERS-got elite scoring. Callahan wasn't re-signing so a couple picks and maybe get one back for St Louis

LOSERS:

NYI-more of a 7 year fail the Islanders got little return for MacDonald and Vanek. For Vanek they traded Moulson, top 10 pick, high 2nd, Vanek for Collberg and late 2nd?. FIRE SNOW. They didn't get a goalie either. They picked a tremendous player in JT and have given him 2nd line scorers, goalies past their prime and no defence.

TML-They watched as the other teams with games in hand aquired the likes of Vanek, Legwand, Hemsky, Callahan, Stamkos, Halak. Had to do something. They're stuck in the middle with re-build ful
Contend. Won't win until#1 C, #1D, top 4 D, #1 W.

ANA-watched the Blues get the best player available in Miller and they got rid of assets. Penner was in a good situation got a 4th,they cleared cap for Robidas?

Colorado is a loser too. And Winnipeg goes another year standing pat. At least the Oilers are doing things

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Colorado is a loser too. And Winnipeg goes another year standing pat. At least the Oilers are doing things

Idk if I would call Colorado a loser as literally everything Roy has done has worked this year, they may just see something they can work with. If Berra improves his positioning and puck playing he could be a very good backup which is worth a 2nd.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yep. Now we wait and see if signing Cammy is even a possibility.

I think there is. On The Fan they speculated that's a reason why he wasn't traded. I guess the negotiations have been going well on a contract extension, if Burke wasn't being offered what he deemed was market value, it's likely why he wasn't moved.

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
Jeff Francis said at the flames game tonight that there is zero chance cammy resigns.

Also it would be fun to speculate what possible deal Burke had that he mentioned in his press conferance, apparently it had us taking on a bad contract and getting a pick for it

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Jeff Francis said at the flames game tonight that there is zero chance cammy resigns.

Also it would be fun to speculate what possible deal Burke had that he mentioned in his press conferance, apparently it had us taking on a bad contract and getting a pick for it

Just out of curiosity, was it Jeff Francis, or Eric Francis? Or Ron Francis? I don't consider any of them to have any inside hockey knowledge.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00