Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Steve Dangle decided to leave Sportsnet because he was sick of the way corporations treated people (has been openly critical of #BellLetsTalk when Bell continually lays off large chunks of their staff). Created SDPN. Hired way too many people for a start-up and then had to lay off a big chunk of his staff yesterday.

• Wow
Reactions: TheTotalPackage

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
That might have been his best performance to be honest. His comments on the morning show are not good very often. Thought he was fine last night. That is a very controlled environment, other than Jeff chasing James trying to get the Quiz belt lol

What annoyed me about the panel was ODog's hair. My OCD was on overdrive (pun intended). Screenshot of youtube video doesn't do it justice. 60" 4k TV, omg I wanted to drive to the studio and cut it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-12 051931.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-12 051931.png
    901.2 KB · Views: 7

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Not purely Toronto sports media related, but the SDPN (Steve Dangle Podcast Network) has had some layoffs from their post game coverage shows for Canadian NHL teams. They discussed it at the end of today's podcast.

I like Steve and the main podcast, and the CJ Show (Chris Johnston), but honestly those "Game Over" shows were awful, very amateurish.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Not purely Toronto sports media related, but the SDPN (Steve Dangle Podcast Network) has had some layoffs from their post game coverage shows for Canadian NHL teams. They discussed it at the end of today's podcast.

I like Steve and the main podcast, and the CJ Show (Chris Johnston), but honestly those "Game Over" shows were awful, very amateurish.
Saw that mentioned somewhere else. Unfortunate, but like you I only ever listened to the main podcast (on rare occasions) and CJ (often).

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Saw that mentioned somewhere else. Unfortunate, but like you I only ever listened to the main podcast (on rare occasions) and CJ (often).
It's clear they tried to get some young people into the game, but they were literally broadcasting out of their bedrooms and it didn't really make a good impression.

The pandemic was a false premise to a lot of people trying their luck at the online creator/podcasting thing, but its well past that now and the viewership is down even for the established players and so is the ad revenue.

Reactions: wingman75

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
It's clear they tried to get some young people into the game, but they were literally broadcasting out of their bedrooms and it didn't really make a good impression.

The pandemic was a false premise to a lot of people trying their luck at the online creator/podcasting thing, but its well past that now and the viewership is down even for the established players and so is the ad revenue.
Agreed. I think most of these online folks will drop off and end up back in traditional media. Hockey just isn't profitable (i.e., big) enough to make non-traditional media a winning proposition.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Dangle is one of those typical millenials who cry about "big corporations" and how "cruel" and "bad" they treat people when they lay-off some people.

Dangle is a typical adult child. Thinks that bosses are awful and mean and that's the reason they fire people.

One thing I give him credit for and that's him starting his own company. But as Tom Wambsgans says it's all about eyeballs and listeners. You can try to be cool and hip for hiring a big a$$ team, but a hired person most bring real value and listeners in the fold.

Podcasts compete against, books, games, eBooks and Netflix. And also against other podcasts. You need to be verty good so people are willing to spend their valuable time.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I’ve all but given up on overdrive although of course I’ll be back. Really enjoy K&B but something has got to be done about Sammy thinking he runs the show and it’s Kyp and Bournes show. I sound petty but he’s grating on my f’n nerves.
Sammy is the worst part of the show. Especially when he starts twitching..once you see it, it will drive you up the wall.

Reactions: francis246

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Sammy is the worst part of the show. Especially when he starts twitching..once you see it, it will drive you up the wall.
I have never watched a podcast, period! lol Spotify or Amazon Music for me.

My dislike of Sammy is way less than most on this board. He's just a dude who loves the Leafs...

I've never once purposely watched any of Steve Dangle's podcast.

Dangle is another beast altogether. Not sure why people like another person just screaming nonsense at them? Love his passion and love for the team, but really not interested in his message or the way he conveys it.

As above, have never 'watched', but have listened a bit. However, ever since they tried to explain regional TV rights, which was complete lies and bs, I haven't gone back since. As a non-Leaf region fan, I think I got that part figured out.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Steve Dangle decided to leave Sportsnet because he was sick of the way corporations treated people (has been openly critical of #BellLetsTalk when Bell continually lays off large chunks of their staff). Created SDPN. Hired way too many people for a start-up and then had to lay off a big chunk of his staff yesterday.

I think it’s kind of worth noting game day was was quite popular during the playoffs specifically covid but it’s quite apparent they expanded to too many markets. And let’s not act like the people on game day we’re doing this as a lively hood. It was a part time gig and the whole premise was to get those people exposure and experience in the business. Unfortunate though they lost the gig.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca

Many people leave their employers and open their own business. Then in 20 years some asshole calls them a "boomer" and leaves to open his own thing. It's not uncommon, this is not an act of defiance or bravery.

Reactions: francis246

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I think it’s kind of worth noting game day was was quite popular during the playoffs specifically covid but it’s quite apparent they expanded to too many markets. And let’s not act like the people on game day we’re doing this as a lively hood. It was a part time gig and the whole premise was to get those people exposure and experience in the business. Unfortunate though they lost the gig.
Many of them were using this as their full time job. Check out adult-baby Andrew Berkshire's twitter from the last day or so. He's having a complete meltdown.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Dangle is one of those typical millenials who cry about "big corporations" and how "cruel" and "bad" they treat people when they lay-off some people.

Dangle is a typical adult child. Thinks that bosses are awful and mean and that's the reason they fire people.

One thing I give him credit for and that's him starting his own company. But as Tom Wambsgans says it's all about eyeballs and listeners. You can try to be cool and hip for hiring a big a$$ team, but a hired person most bring real value and listeners in the fold.

Podcasts compete against, books, games, eBooks and Netflix. And also against other podcasts. You need to be verty good so people are willing to spend their valuable time.
Perfect description of him is adult child. Dude is like 35-36 years old and really acts more like a teenager. Not sure if it’s a schtick or it’s really his personality. But dude is super annoying. Also his yelling etc has really gotten old. It’s not funny, and honestly not sure what the audience he’s directing it towards.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
For me Kipper and Bourne have easily jumped to #1. Overdrive is still good from time to time. Like overdrive was a good listen on the way home from work this week.

But I still find myself going to YouTube to watch kipper and Bourne. Their insight is a little more rational. But Overdrive is hilarious and bringing back Al’s Brother has definitely caught my attention.

I hate to say it but the show is the best whenever Noodles is away. He just doesn’t know about other sports. Hayes is a great host and Jeff has honestly come a long way since the beginnings from when him and Hayes would go at it durin g commercial breaks hahaha

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I think kyper and Bourne is the best leafs show right now but lots of people have this negative perception of kyper they won’t get past thus never really giving the show a chance with putting there bias a side.

Last edited:

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
For me Kipper and Bourne have easily jumped to #1. Overdrive is still good from time to time. Like overdrive was a good listen on the way home from work this week.

But I still find myself going to YouTube to watch kipper and Bourne. Their insight is a little more rational. But Overdrive is hilarious and bringing back Al’s Brother has definitely caught my attention.

I hate to say it but the show is the best whenever Noodles is away. He just doesn’t know about other sports. Hayes is a great host and Jeff has honestly come a long way since the beginnings from when him and Hayes would go at it durin g commercial breaks hahaha

I love Overdrive, but I cant listen to them talk golf or NFL. its mind numbing

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
What annoys me with any TSN property, especially OverDrive, is leading the show off with NFL coverage. Like if its a playoff game/Superbowl, obviously go for it, but a random NFL discussion when theres Leafs news is dumb. I get why they do it (NFL on TSN coverage, not being the NHL rightsholders), but come on. Hockey talk drives sports radio in this country.

Also talking abut their fantasy teams. No one gives a flying **** about your fantasy team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad