Toronto FC: Toronto FC/Canada Soccer Discussion (2022 Edition) - Italy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
season was done last week. i didn't even bother to watch the atlanta game cause who cares.

I too am concerned about the direction this team is going. I don't know off hand what the contract lengths are for the Italians although i assume they are multi year deals. We all know that players come over the MLS and are not won over by the league. I can remember jermaine defoe's time in toronto very well. Whereas others ie giovinco loved it.

I am not one to make rash decisions on a coach or manager, so i want to give BRadley sr. the benefit of the doubt.... But he and Manning built this team which looked like trash at the start of the season. do i have the utmost faith in them to not repeat the same mistakes? Hell no i don't.

This team is in a very precarious position. They have the potential of being contenders, but a few factors can make things go south really easily.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Team needs upgrades in GK, defense and midfield .. there is a lot of work to be done to fix this mess .. coach I am not sure about but if son stays on team then he has to go .. like to see last DP on a younger faster central midfielder who can control da game .. offense as it exists with da Italians and Jimenez is fine .. and Italian and Laryea are fine too .. Osorio can play with new DP midfielder .. 2 new CBs required and a new tender .. so 4 new adds required

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Laryea technically is not a TFC player. He's only here on loan so let's not just assume he's back here next year.
Got it thanks for update .. watched da horror show in Atlanta .. team got crushed with speed thru midfield where most of 10 shots against got created .. CBs are both brutal too .. GK was a little better but still not good enough .. bottom line okello bradley and kaye are not even remotely close to anything that can win games

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Oso is potentially on the move.

That's interesting. I don't see that as an upward move for Osorio as the Greek league is quite below the MLS in terms of quality. Maybe he really wants the allure of playing in champions league (???) Also i remember hearing an interview or a sound bite from him in the past suggesting that he wanted to play in Europe.

Still though... the greek league? i guess he would really want out of the MLS to go there.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
That's interesting. I don't see that as an upward move for Osorio as the Greek league is quite below the MLS in terms of quality. Maybe he really wants the allure of playing in champions league (???) Also i remember hearing an interview or a sound bite from him in the past suggesting that he wanted to play in Europe.

Still though... the greek league? i guess he would really want out of the MLS to go there
It's an interesting move. I don't know if the league is an upwards move, but the opportunity to play for PAOK is upwards imo. You get to go to a storied club with a great coach in Lucescu. PAOK went invincible a couple of seasons ago and played some decent football. I also think the top 4 in Greece is likely better than the top teams in MLS, there is a steep drop-off in talent from there though. The opportunity to play in Europe is a massive pull as it should be, those games are hugely important and it gives him more room to stay in form.

Greece doesn't have the likes of Insigne, Vela, Zelarayan, or young talents like Puig. But it's still a solid level of play. Plus, Greek food is amazing haha!

Would be sad. I think he can do better than Greece?
This is also likely true. I could see him getting a move to Belgium or Turkey, maybe even Portugal.

If we wanted to stay in the West he could be a solid player in Mexico and possibly Brazil although Serie A brazil is fast and technical.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

Still though... the greek league? i guess he would really want out of the MLS to go there.
Exposure. You go there and play UCL and if you do well, you potentially sign in a better league.
Keep in mind that while the Greek league isn't necessarily better, Champions League is significantly better than MLS and no Concacaf Champions League.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I would put the chances of seeing Laryea back in Toronto pretty high for next year. He never really got a fair shake at Forest and since they bought 2 new teams this window it's pretty clear he is not in their plans.

Maybe he looks elsewhere in the winter window, I know there was interest from Besiktas and other Turkish clubs at one point. Could be an option out there for him. That being said I think we see him back in Toronto next season, likely on another loan.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Confirmed today that Oso is staying put until after this contract expires. So basically we will have a decision on his future in January.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Apparently Oso's injury is a result of an elbow to the head earlier this season. Hopefully he's 100% soon and for the world cup and the long run.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Apparently Oso's injury is a result of an elbow to the head earlier this season. Hopefully he's 100% soon and for the world cup and the long run.

Yikes, not good. Not having Oso at the WC would feel wrong. Club legend and a massive part of the National team!

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I was extremely heartened reading Buffery’s column in the Toronto Sun this morning. Bradley was forced to use 5 teenagers and a slew of players under 22 to start season. And while a few still stepped up, Bradley was disappointed with the development of some of the club’s hyped-up youngsters. Bradley went on to say that not all developed as he hoped and it will be difficult for some to be given another shot. They didn’t seize their opportunity.

My problem all along has been the number of Canadian youngsters starting games and their talent level. The problem wasn’t the number, but the quality of these players. I may have been rash in my assessment of Bradley based on these comments. He saw the same crap we as fans saw, but could do little given the dearth of talent he was given.

Reactions: fancy lad

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
13th place before the Italians arrived safe to say 13th place at season’s end. Pathetic team, if Bradley is still coaching next year expect more of the same.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
60 goals conceded is real bad. Sucks to end the season on this note. Need some changes to the backline and GK next year for this team to really challenge for contention.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Mercifully the "hunt" is officially over. Poorly constructed team and I have little confidence it will be all corrected to start next season.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Mercifully the "hunt" is officially over. Poorly constructed team and I have little confidence it will be all corrected to start next season.
I'm a little more optimistic than that lol. But I get it. This team showed some flashes of brilliance down the stretch. Insigne needs some time to mentally and physically heal.

With some tinkering on the back end, I do believe we'll be much, much better next year .

Reactions: robertmac43

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
His style of play would do well in Italy. He's very good technically. Even a low level club like AC Monza in Serie A as a squad rotation player would be an amazing situation for him. Or perhaps a high level club in Serie B that has a chance for promotion.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I'm sure the Italians will be fine, just need more depth, a reliable striker, CB, and GK. Hope Laryea is back too.
We need a new coach, Bradley doesn’t mesh well with these guys. When yo add 3 guys who would be starting stars on any team in MLS and the team is no better the problem has to be coaching.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Da problem is exaclty what I told you guys at start of year .. no speed to control game in midfield and weak centre backs and keeper .. no mgr should coach his own kid at pro level .. either jr or senior has to go .. a dad will never unload his son .. never gonna occur .. hard to win like this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad