Toronto FC: Toronto FC/Canada Soccer Discussion (2022 Edition) - Italy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Bob has been perplexing right from the start. His decision to start 5 or more young Canadians in early games essentially sabotaged the season. Tonight he chose to start an absolutely dreadful Okello and continued to start an equally abysmal Akinola. He had no choice but to start the inept excuse for a goalie Bono. I also see no purpose in their play, his schemes are flawed, certainly not helped by his roster decisions. The Italians have to be frustrated with this tool.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
if westberg was fit and on the bench these last 2 games, then why wasn’t he Playing? Bono with another 2 pretty soft goals again!

well I guess that’s a wrap for this season which is a shame. Just goes to show how poorly the team was built at the start of the season And how bad this club is at grooming young players. Would it have killed them to have had a couple more serviceable vets?
no Offence but Jayden Nelson is bad and should not be an everyday player at this stage of his career. maybe down the line in a couple years, but he has a lot of development to do.

hopefully the 3 Italians (well 2especially) are still here next year.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
if westberg was fit and on the bench these last 2 games, then why wasn’t he Playing? Bono with another 2 pretty soft goals again!

well I guess that’s a wrap for this season which is a shame. Just goes to show how poorly the team was built at the start of the season And how bad this club is at grooming young players. Would it have killed them to have had a couple more serviceable vets?
no Offence but Jayden Nelson is bad and should not be an everyday player at this stage of his career. maybe down the line in a couple years, but he has a lot of development to do.

hopefully the 3 Italians (well 2especially) are still here next year.

Me thinks he wasnt fully fit. Anyway, a good GK to look for is Alec Kann. way too good to sit on a bench. or Ben Foster.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
OMG went to EX and game .. embarrassing .. why is Bono da clown still tending net??????????? .. this guy is completely useless .. can't kick a ball to his teammates .. can't make easy saves coming right at him .. can't catch a ball at pace .. doesn't look like he has any idear where to position himself or his defenders .. guy next to me says he comes from Syracuse university in States .. a total joke .. most of italians in supporters section think da italians want out of here .. my thinking based on what i heard in naples was da fans of Naples love Insigne but he not at his TFC overpay .. he probably will move back home and take less money .. is da $$$ worth it for him?????????? OMG and his partner in crime there Mavinga well he is almost as bad too .. there are some serious serious problems with this team .. like in hockey scoring goals is not enough you need tending and defense

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
By all accounts the Italians like it here, and the large sums of money surely helps. But they're elite soccer players, and the frustration with the team must be mounting. A coach who has bizarre shemes and makes odd lineup decisions, a goalie who couldn't make it in a beer league, a defence totally clueless, a team that has an inability to win 50-50 balls, and quite honestly, an effort level that is sadly lacking. We need more quality on this team to augment the Italians, and that means dumping 70% of the team and this overrated coach.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
What was the other option at the start of the season?
Looking at that roster, the depth was pretty pathetic and he didn't have many options. Injuries to Osorio and Mavinga didn't help. But players with some experience were available...MacNaughton, O'Neill, Achara, Lawrence. But overall, you're right, not an impressive list of players to choose from.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Agreed.

If we had the Italians from day 1 we are in the playoffs. Also a full year of MAK etc. I think these players being in the lineup from day 1 would even outweigh Bono's play.
I believe if one of Insigne or Bernadeschi and Laryea were on the team from the start, and if Pozuelo wasn't traded for a few more games, we'd still be in the playoffs regardless of Bono.

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Looking at that roster, the depth was pretty pathetic and he didn't have many options. Injuries to Osorio and Mavinga didn't help. But players with some experience were available...MacNaughton, O'Neill, Achara, Lawrence. But overall, you're right, not an impressive list of players to choose from.
Yeah, it was a tough circumstance to step into. I think judgment on Bradley needs to be saved for next season. He will have a full off-season to prep with a team ready to take on MLS.

If we are 10-15 games into the season and the results are poor, then sure, give him crap.

I believe if one of Insigne or Bernadeschi and Laryea were on the team from the start, and if Pozuelo wasn't traded for a few more games, we'd still be in the playoffs regardless of Bono.
Poz needed to go. For Bernadeschi to come in and because it was just time. He had been rumored to leave for some time. Plus Salcedo was still in the squad at the time.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Hoping this is nothing too serious and that everyone is okay .

Hope everything is ok .. went to last game and gents from Naples were right i can see it when they said he was da glue that held Napoli together .. guy never ever gives up and plays real hard .. he is already TFC captain .. Bradley jr needs to retire .. Sr can have another year if junior retires as i don't believe in pro sports you should ever coach your kid .. bottom line you will never do what is in best interests of your team and everyone else knows it but you

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yeah that is likely the season over.... Probably best, gives the team plenty of time to get this club in contending form for next year.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
The defence and goaltending is an abysmal mess. Not impressed by Boob Bradley again. Goals off corners show a lack of structure in the box. Starting Okello and Akinola again shows an alarming lack of judgment and incompetence. That first half in a must win game was dreadful and Boob has to accept responsibility for that.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
They still need so many things:

1) better CBs
2) more passing ability in midfield
3) a better striker
4) a better GK

I’m guessing they’ll spend a DP spot on 3) and try to upgrade the other three too.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
They still need so many things:

1) better CBs
2) more passing ability in midfield
3) a better striker
4) a better GK

I’m guessing they’ll spend a DP spot on 3) and try to upgrade the other three too.
I honestly think the backline is the only major thing that needs changing. The lack of clean sheets the past 2 seasons and the big chances conceded metrics are alarming. Really tough to win games when the ball is constantly in the back of your net.

I imagine the final DP spot will be used on a striker. I don't think it's the biggest need but I get why the club would go that direction and there is noting wrong with more goals.

Midfield is fine IMO. They just need to stay healthy and have some time to actually play together. We barely got to see what MAK can do with his injury and Oso was also in and out of the starting XI with issues. These 2 healthy give you a lot of talent in the middle of the field.

5) better coach
I get why this has been a reaction for much of the fanbase. I think it's harsh. How do you properly judge Bradley off of this year?

We already talked about the lack of Senior players he had at the start. Then you add in 2 DP players wanting out in the early goings, lots of injuries, and no real chance to implement a coherent system because of the router flux.

Next season if we see more of the same issues, then yeah I get it, but let's not pile on a guy who had a tough season to navigate.

Reactions: al secord

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
No doubt there was a lack of depth early in the season, and you can argue even now. But a good coach should show the signs of a coherent system at work, regardless of talent and elevate the play of players who don't have an abundance of talent. There are teams with less talent in the league that have played muich better and have a better standing than TFC. Using hockey as an example, Gallant didn't have alot of talent his first year as coach of the Golden Knights but was able to elevate the play of castoffs from other teams. Bradley, who claims he has a system (pressure the ball, move the ball quickly, attack from the centre of the field, etc), has not been able to impart that on his team. Defence is one area where a good coach can show his worth. TFC's defence is clueless most nights. Sure, it's been only one year, but colour me unimpressed by what I've seen thus far.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I honestly think the backline is the only major thing that needs changing. The lack of clean sheets the past 2 seasons and the big chances conceded metrics are alarming. Really tough to win games when the ball is constantly in the back of your net.

I imagine the final DP spot will be used on a striker. I don't think it's the biggest need but I get why the club would go that direction and there is noting wrong with more goals.

Midfield is fine IMO. They just need to stay healthy and have some time to actually play together. We barely got to see what MAK can do with his injury and Oso was also in and out of the starting XI with issues. These 2 healthy give you a lot of talent in the middle of the field.

I get why this has been a reaction for much of the fanbase. I think it's harsh. How do you properly judge Bradley off of this year?

We already talked about the lack of Senior players he had at the start. Then you add in 2 DP players wanting out in the early goings, lots of injuries, and no real chance to implement a coherent system because of the router flux.

Next season if we see more of the same issues, then yeah I get it, but let's not pile on a guy who had a tough season to navigate.
Which CBs and strikers from Serie A are out of contract next year? ;)

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Dug ourselves way too big of a hole. Like @robertmac43 said, I will reserve judgment on the manager for next year when he has a full squad to work with from day one. I think this year has always been more of a personel issue than a tactical one.

This would've hurt much more if the world cup wasn't coming up in November. Matched with 3 friendlies, it's exciting times for Canadian football.

On a side note, I really hope all is well with the Insigne family. Whatever it is, it does not sound good. Hoping for the best.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
But a good coach should show the signs of a coherent system at work, regardless of talent and elevate the play of players who don't have an abundance of talent
I don't buy this. Well, at least not 100%. How do you show a coherent system when one part of the year you get Shaffelburg and the other you get Insigne? That difference in skill there has major implications for how you set up a team.

No disrespect to Shaff. I really like the guy and he has looked great on Nashville the second half od the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad