Pre-Game Talk: Toronto @ Columbus - Friday Oct 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topkatz

Jul 23, 2010
Hi Leafs. Oiler fan in peace.

Was just wondering how Marincin is doing? He was hyped for a while for the Oilers and a lot of Oiler fans were upset at him leaving. Personally, I always felt his play was lacking and I was not sure he would make it in the NHL. He has talent, but his mental strength and physicality were his weaknesses I felt which I never thought was a good mix.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Was just wondering how Marincin is doing? He was hyped for a while for the Oilers and a lot of Oiler fans were upset at him leaving. Personally, I always felt his play was lacking and I was not sure he would make it in the NHL. He has talent, but his mental strength and physicality were his weaknesses I felt which I never thought was a good mix.

Meh. Playing like a #6-7 defender. Good positioning with good mobility for his size but has struggled with the pace and has been fighting the puck a whole lot (turnovers, missed passes, bobbled pucks). Where he shines is on the PK with his huge reach and positioning. He reminds me a lot of Hal Gill.

Babcock and the coaches seems to like him though. They probably see the untapped potential that most saw over the years.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Man, it's just tooooo long a wait to watch our beloved Leafs!

I like this team - a lot.

Call me an optimist or whatever, I just can't help myself.

We are playing a different style of hockey from the run and gun, and, I don't care if it's lower scoring (obviously want to see more goals) as much as I"m very happy to see the shots and shot attempts limited compared to the last few years!

We're going in the right direction, even though, we've only just begun, lol, (carpenters!!!).

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

We are playing a different style of hockey from the run and gun, and, I don't care if it's lower scoring (obviously want to see more goals) as much as I"m very happy to see the shots and shot attempts limited compared to the last few years!

We're going in the right direction, even though, we've only just begun, lol, (carpenters!!!).

Are you for real?

You do you though.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Horrible. Unimpressive.

Can't handle a puck, and when he does, he usually does something stupid with it. Not great positionally either. Not a lot of IQ.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
0-4-0 Columbus is not going to be very happy in this one.

Leafs might be the favourites in this game.

Teams love to take it out on the Leafs. We're the slump buster masters... don't forget.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Teams love to take it out on the Leafs. We're the slump buster masters... don't forget.

Sens take on the Pens tonight and there is a possibility that both Leafs weekend opponents are 0-4-0 when they take on the Leafs as they look for their 1st wins at the expense of ours.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Sens take on the Pens tonight and there is a possibility that both Leafs weekend opponents are 0-4-0 when they take on the Leafs as they look for their 1st wins at the expense of ours.

The plan is coming a long nicely.

:naughty:

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Babcock wants the Jays to have longevity in the playoffs so the Leafs can lose games out of the spotlight.

Joey Bats hits a near grand slam yesterday. Babcock = John Gibbons

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Stop living in the past.

This team is not a slump busting team - lol.

Your last sentence even made you laugh out loud finding it hard to say it with a straight face. :)

Leafs under Babcock will be a more blue collar hard working team and we have yet to see what effect that will have on the opposition on a nightly bases.

Leafs had a well known reputation in the past as quitters that lacked compete and pride in their own play which made it easy for the opponents to get their games back on track when the Leafs were on their schedule. This year if teams take the Leafs for granted they might be disappointed.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

I agree with you. An I'm a leafs fan so of course I like this team, the players could use some upgrades, but I'm true blue through and through.
The style of play is truly a pleasant change. Let's see how long they sustain it for. My fingers are crossed that we will be able to watch them play their hearts out for most of the games this season.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Your last sentence even made you laugh out loud finding it hard to say it with a straight face. :)

Leafs under Babcock will be a more blue collar hard working team and we have yet to see what effect that will have on the opposition on a nightly bases.

Leafs had a well known reputation in the past as quitters that lacked compete and pride in their own play which made it easy for the opponents to get their games back on track when the Leafs were on their schedule. This year if teams take the Leafs for granted they might be disappointed.

The 'lol' wasn't because it was hard for me to say it with a straight face, I'm laughing out loud that people think we are the same old same old that we used to be - THAT'S why I'm LOL.

I guess I'm just old and don't know the nuances of how to properly use emoticons then.

No, actually, I don't think this team is a slump busting team. (okay, a bit of that thinking is hoping)

Last year and the year before are history.

I think this is a new team and even though it's only 3 games, I see them as a different team.

I meant the 'lol' more as I'm laughing at all the people who think we are what we were, which is just history now.

Maybe we are what we were and maybe we aren't - I'd prefer to think that we aren't what we were! wow, can't believe is just said that!!!!

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
lol how low are ratings going to be for this game?

I somewhat follow the Jays, but I can't watch baseball, in fact Hockey is the only sport I can watch a full game.

Hell on Monday, I'll be more interested in the election...and follow the Jays on Twitter.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
The 'lol' wasn't because it was hard for me to say it with a straight face, I'm laughing out loud that people think we are the same old same old that we used to be - THAT'S why I'm LOL.

I guess I'm just old and don't know the nuances of how to properly use emoticons then.

No, actually, I don't think this team is a slump busting team. (okay, a bit of that thinking is hoping)

I think this is a new team and even though it's only 3 games, I see them as a different team.

I meant the 'lol' more as I'm laughing at all the people who think we are what we were, which is just history now.

Maybe we are what we were and maybe we aren't - I'd prefer to think that we aren't what we were! wow, can't believe is just said that!!!!

I 100% agree with you.

Many things are new, including the coaching and play.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I have great faith in Babcock as well that he will be able to whip this group that lacks talent into a more cohesive unit on the nightly basis getting better results.

Although the slump busters reputation is TBD at this point and Columbus in this game losing their first 4 and Kessel on Saturday once viewed retrospectively afterwards will give us a better idea.

If the Leafs pound the struggling BJ like the Sens did yesterday that sends one message, but if angry Jackets team takes it out on the Leafs then slump busters will be alive and well. If you asked me honestly which outcome I expected I don't know which one I would pick as every Leaf game is complete guesswork of which one might show up.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

I've been thoroughly unimpressed with his talent as much as anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad